What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***

51 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

They all do it now... Titleist has a 26 degree 7 iron in the T400 set. That’s stronger than my 5 iron. 

PXG is pretty cringe. Agree that the obnoxious commercials don’t in any way align with what their market strategy seems to be. I also don’t understand them simultaneously offering some of the highest and lowest prices of any OEM. If I was a PXG person and bought a new release at full price and could buy months later for a totally “normal” OEM price, I’d be pretty pissed. 

+1. Wilson and especially Cobra started doing stronger lofts back in the 90's a few years before Callaway and others went down that road. The King Cobra 1 OS had a 43° PW in 1994

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PXG. Obnoxious marketing and hideous looking clubs. 

Wilson, probably. The whole Fat Shaft thing was an affront to my delicate sensibilities. 

PXG. Ugly clubs and even worse commercials. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Cameron first, because his fame came from making fancy Ping knockoffs.  And Titleist in general, who tries to separate themselves as the "pro's brand" which drives elitism and high prices. 

Agree with this, especially on  Scotty Camerons. As far as  Titleist I've just never liked any of their clubs period.

• Like 1

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

7 hours ago, leatherwedge said:

It's Scotty Cameron for me right now. When something becomes too trendy I tend to run away. Also, a grown man going by "Scotty" bothers me much more than it should 🙂

1 hour ago, forrester_fire said:

Mostly Titleist, but purely for consumer reasons.  I firmly believe they've set the market, especially in balls, and we pay $45+ for Tour quality balls from most OEMs as a result.  They've also chased a bunch of small ball manufacturers out of the market with BS lawsuits.

I feel the same way about the wedge market; many consumers see Vokey (like Pro V1) as the market leader, and the other manufacturers follow their pricing so as not to have a perceived quality gap. 

I also cannot stand Cameron putters.  $400 putters ($2,000+ for "Tour Only"), $160 weight kits, etc.  My Mizuno M Craft is every bit as nice as an off-the-rack Cameron, comes with a wrench and weight kit, and still costs $100 less.

Yeah, I don’t understand the whole “Scotty Cameron” obsession so many people have. 

I’ve tried a bunch of them at golf shops and couldn’t see what the hype was about...they just felt Ok for me.

Other putters seem just as good/better appearance, feel, and performance wise at fractions of the price, so I don’t understand why so many people are rushing out to buy “a Scotty”.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Tensei AV Blue 65

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 70

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Hzrdus Black 6.0 85

TaylorMade P790 (4), (5-PW Coming soon...)

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

Callaway - their drivers always seemed to sit closed and I never liked the shape. I haven't bothered to look at their equipment for the last few years so no idea what the new ones are about. 

Mizuno - had some truly terrible service from their local rep so I don't look at their equipment anymore. Played their irons for 20 years....

Callaway I have had a few of their clubs and the quality control has been horrible.  I also don’t like inserts so Odyssey is included, even though I love the 2 ball alignment.

For those guys who have said Wilson, I used to thing the same thing and what happened to that iconic brand.  Then the owner of the golf store I go to said just give this a try, I did reluctantly.....It was the Wilson Staff Blade and I love them and they are in the bag

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS & 58* TS
Ping Nome TR

6 minutes ago, Doyouevenblade said:

Callaway - their drivers always seemed to sit closed and I never liked the shape. I haven't bothered to look at their equipment for the last few years so no idea what the new ones are about. 

Mizuno - had some truly terrible service from their local rep so I don't look at their equipment anymore. Played their irons for 20 years....

Hey now, better not say anything bad about Mizuno. The "nOtHinGfEElsLiKeaMiZUNo" crew will get after you 😆 years of low CG blades have allowed those who don't have a proper golf swing to get a soft feeling out of a golf club without actually knowing how to compress a ball. All good forgings feel amazing. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

Callaway everything - too over the top with their designs

Ping irons - chunky and when I think Ping irons I think big offsets which probably isn't true anymore.  Played their drivers for years though

Titleist - nothing I have ever seen with Titleist on it makes me want to go out and try it, seems boring.

Taylormade - can never keep up with their product offerings, they seem to have a new driver every second week

Callaway. It's always seemed "stuffy", like a "members only" club that I had zero interest in joining.

Totally not rational, I know. But you asked.

You also won't see me buying Costco golf balls. Not saying anything is wrong with them, just saying there are plenty of golf ball manufactures that might appreciate my $$$ more. I do still buy my toilet paper there.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I don't even look at Ping or Callaway irons.  For no apparent reason.  I will walk through a store and look at every iron set except them.  

Never wanted a Taylormade wood of any kind in the past decade.  Irrational hate for the all white drivers, the M series with their dumb white and black crown, stupid, gimmicky Taylormade woods.  Then due to my gamer getting damaged I reluctantly demo'd a Sim 3 wood because the course I was playing basically required one. 

After I hit the tee ball on 1?  Ummmm, my bad Taylormade, I guess you're OK.  That thing was a monster.  Long, precise, and that 2 tone crown is classy and nice looking all of a sudden.  

• Like 2

Nike

Tools of Satan

TaylorMade. They haven't made anything I've liked since the R9 driver.

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

This Week's Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC 4 34"/ 343g
TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ FG Tour

10 minutes ago, sneaky_pete said:

Callaway everything - too over the top with their designs

Ping irons - chunky and when I think Ping irons I think big offsets which probably isn't true anymore.  Played their drivers for years though

Titleist - nothing I have ever seen with Titleist on it makes me want to go out and try it, seems boring.

Taylormade - can never keep up with their product offerings, they seem to have a new driver every second week

Anything you do like? LOL

• Haha 3

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

This Week's Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC 4 34"/ 343g
TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ FG Tour

1 hour ago, mcounci2 said:

Seems accurate.  WHYYY was there not a plumber neck m craft IV???

I've got the m craft I with the flowneck, but would probably get along better with the IV.  It seems to be the best of both worlds...a large blade and toe down for my arching stroke.

Considering they've released a new batch of heads, I would think the sales on the original line must've exceeded their expectations.  Perhaps a plumber's neck in the VI head is a future possibility?

13 hours ago, JohnKHawk said:

I'm a lefty so I finally gave up on Mizuno. Seems like their harboring some sort of hateful grudge against the left handed boys.

My compliments on the reference...

o brother GIF by hero0fwar

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

3 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I think we all know the "why".

Because of Tiger, or because so many guys on Tour use them?

• Like 1

🇨🇦

5 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

A little bit of A, a little bit of B.  Probably more the former than the latter.  I think it's mostly because they're a status symbol.

Yeah for sure, makes sense. I guess those are the main reasons I’ve tried so many of them in golf shops too.

Are they the most overrated product in golf though? They just don’t seem that good to me...

🇨🇦

8 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Titleist for always trying to present themselves as something they are not.

But hey, you can't spell ELITIST without... ... ...amiright?

mickey mouse troll GIF

• Haha 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

27 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

A little bit of A, a little bit of B.  Probably more the former than the latter.  I think it's mostly because they're a status symbol.

For me, my newport just works for my closing gate stroke much like Crenshaw and Tiger.  I've tried Odyssey, Taylormade, Betti, Pirretti, etc.  I prefer deep milled faces and don't care much for inserts or faces will no milling whatsoever.  I could care less about Scotty's being status symbols.  I would game the Kirkland putter if it had a deep milled face and not that weird insert.  

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 hours ago, Nessism said:

Cameron first, because his fame came from making fancy Ping knockoffs.  And Titleist in general, who tries to separate themselves as the "pro's brand" which drives elitism and high prices. 

Same people saying this, are the same people who want to play mizuno, miura, srixon. The only thing it would seem is the demographic youve seen playing titleist, which probably drives that “elite” stereotype.  Dont hate cause they don’t center around the dude bros and getting those weak morning scrambles their distance drivers/clubs. 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Tbh I’ve never understood why people unilaterally dislike Nike when they had performing products. Always a superficial reason never a ability/club reason. 
I dislike callaway and taylormade because it’s usually some lame that has to get every years driver and thinks they’re really doing something ability wise.  

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Any brand that doesn't bother with lefties, we get it you want a righty elitism in the golf world. 🤣🤣

But seriously I'll try and use anything that works for me as long as it looks good to my eye. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

Ping.  Growing up everyone played Ping irons with hopes of getting good enough to move up to either Mizuno or Titleist.  It is probably irrational but ever since then I’ve always associated Ping with beginners and/or hackers.  If I ever put a Ping club in the bag it would be the equivalent of throwing in the towel on the game.

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

Any brand that doesn't bother with lefties, we get it you want a righty elitism in the golf world. 🤣🤣

But seriously I'll try and use anything that works for me as long as it looks good to my eye. 

I had no idea hardware would be a challenge when I started. A lot less of a challenge now than in '88, but still. I'm not even left handed, I just prefer my right foot forward in my stance. 🤣

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

5 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I had no idea hardware would be a challenge when I started. A lot less of a challenge now than in '88, but still. I'm not even left handed, I just prefer my right foot forward in my stance. 🤣

I remember when I was a young teen just getting into golf, I walked into a used golf store somewhere looking for a wedge or putter. I asked this old dude at the cash if they had any left hand clubs and he said "I'm not carrying them anymore, all companies are going to stop making left hand club. I'd suggest you learn how to play right handed." I just started at him for what felt like 2 min before walking out. 

Still waiting for that day old man. 

• Like 2

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

• Gxgolfer changed the title to What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***