What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PXG. Obnoxious marketing and hideous looking clubs. 

Wilson, probably. The whole Fat Shaft thing was an affront to my delicate sensibilities. 

PXG. Ugly clubs and even worse commercials. 

Posted Images

There's not a single brand/manufacturer that I dislike, just the whole jacked up lofts thing. In reality, manageable gapping is way more important than raw distance (outside of driver). Add in the gaudy club design/decoration of today and irons with reasonable offset but fat hosels (making them appear to have much more than real offset). I learned the game in the early 1960s and still tend to appreciate clubs with that design/look.

Edited by 5 over

Titleist - It started when I was a junior golfer.  Everyone wanted to play the 384 balata and then the professional.  I preferred the Maxfli HT, Tour Edition, and Precept Extra Spin.  Everyone wanted 975 drivers, I preferred the Callaway s2h2 and GBB lines, and then the steel head.  I just preferred to be different and not get what everyone else was getting.

As an adult, there are quite a few I could things I could say here, but after typing this paragraph 15 times, I will leave it with I vote with my wallet.  Not that it even makes a dent, but I won't support them.

Luckily none of their drivers or irons have I ever even looked at twice(other than the T100).  I have always been a fan of Roger Cleveland and I play either Cleveland or Callaway wedges, so no Vokey's for me.  I prefer custom made putters(Mannkrafted is my choice here).  In my close to DuffnersWaggle search for a 3 wood, I ended up with one of their 4 woods turned down and open and because of the long search there, so I play it.  If I could find something I liked more or hit better, I would jump and put it in the bag right away.  Luckily I got it used, so I didn't pay them any money directly.  

I feel the Pro V1 is the most overrated and over priced ball on the planet.  So even when I find them I give them to playing partners.  Not that they aren't good, but the perceived value and how good most people view them is way skewed in my view because they lead the ball count in professional golf.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 3
  • Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open¬†on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open¬†on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons -¬†Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons -¬†Srixon ZX5¬†5¬†iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland¬†50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5¬†54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -¬†¬†Sunset Beach Ocracoke or¬†Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon¬†Z Star¬†

It kind of changes by the club for me. TM irons and wedges just never seem interesting to me. Probably Ping for the woods, which makes no sense. Putters seems to depend on the year, everyone seems to put out some great ones and some real stinker lines. 

No logic behind any of those really. Only a couple brands that I think have really interesting stuff from top to bottom of the bag year after year. 

PXG, but NOT because of the commercials...although those are terrible. 

I bought a PXG 7 wood last year, seems pretty good and I was glad to get a deal on what's sort of a gimmick club that I wanted to test out. The customer service was....not great. 

I'm not sure if I missed something, but it seems like their "sale" is now actual pricing. Other companies stop offering past models, PXG shows Gen2 irons from $349/club to $125...huh? They went from Whole Foods to Aldi, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm buying with them. 

• Like 1

TSi3
Mavrik SZ

PXG 0341 21*
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw Callaway 52*

SM8 56* F

SM8 60* T
Special Select Newport 2

Personally, I cannot relate to this sort of thinking.

Unless a company has done something to actively turn me off (e.g. bad customer service, to me, personally), then I'll try anything and use anything. I've never once come to a conclusion that Company ABC's products don't work for me. Sure, an individual model might not be my cup of tea, but I've never attributed that to a whole company's products. At least from a performance perspective. Practical reasons may dictate that I may never use or own certain brands - e.g. Honma because of availabilty and cost.

I've used most major brands, a bunch of minor brands, and fundamentally, they all work.

Interesting to see no hate for Ben Hogan Golf.  

The 99 Apex Irons were great with the #4 shaft.  Nothing ever felt better.

Driver:¬†Titleist 915¬†D2 9.5¬į A-1¬†setting Graphite Design YS-6+stiff

Wood: ¬†Titleist 980F¬†17¬į Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid:¬†Titleist 909H¬†21¬į Aldila Voodoo¬†stiff¬†

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges:¬†Titleist Vokey SM7 ¬†54¬į,¬†¬†58¬į¬†DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

For the many who have said Wilson you clearly haven't tried their recent iron sets. 

I wouldn't say I'm completely adverse to any brands as a whole but I really dislike PING wedges and Taylormade putters.

The other brand I'll mention is Odyssey. Now, I have used Odyssey putters forever and I'll never give up my trusty PT82 or Black Series Milled but the new putters are just so bad. Bringing the white hot face back is a big step and I understand they are letting Toulon make the milled putters now but in my opinion Odyssey has gone way downhill.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TS2 w/ PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 60 6.5
5 Wood: Callaway XR 16 w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Hybrid: Srixon H85 w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 w/ True Temper DG X100
Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 w/ True Temper DG S400
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

1 hour ago, njmack said:

Lots of apathy for Wilson in here.  I've personally never played them, but I recently watched my dad get fit for a set of the D9's that were head & shoulders above the performance of all the other sets he tried. The fitter said that's been happening a lot lately!

I’m surprised as well. 

The first set of sticks that hadn’t been used or hand me downs were Wilson Staff RM’s with the 2.8 Firestick shafts, and I loved them. They kicked the Hogan Edge hand me downs out of my bag back then.  I played them up until 99’  

my cousin still has them.,...... he plays once a year in a memorial Tournament with my other cousin (his brother)¬†who has my 1999 Hogan Apex set, who also plays once a year. ūü§Ē I should probably try to get the Hogans back ūü§Ē¬†

Really dislike TaylorMade's marketing, quality control and customer service. And they're always flooding the market. Love Mizuno but their website has always been a disaster and is only slightly better now. Callaway, Cobra and Ping are great with customer service. Generally unimpressed by everything from Cleveland. 

Ping G425 Max 1w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 Max 5w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 Max 7w Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5i-Pi Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50 54 58 DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 || Titleist Pro V1

4 hours ago, njmack said:

Lots of apathy for Wilson in here.  I've personally never played them, but I recently watched my dad get fit for a set of the D9's that were head & shoulders above the performance of all the other sets he tried. The fitter said that's been happening a lot lately!

I love their irons. I think this will be their 10th year in my bag. I've found some others over the year that might feel better, but noting really beats them on performance for me. Plenty can match the performance, but not really beat it. 

Their woods though, never been impressed. Admittedly I haven't tried any of the latest line. I wanted to like the one from that show they did on the golf channel, but I just didn't care for it. 

I will vouch for Wilson.  The C300 forged were excellent irons and I carried them for 2 years. I am considering the D9 fairway with a modest shaft upcharge.  Shape is good as is the looks.  I had the C300 driver for a bit, too low spin but they do make decent woods.  The C300 fairway was top rated in MGS most wanted fairway.   I like underdogs hence my Ben Hogan hybrid so not afraid to experiment.  I had Hogan Edge hybrids over 15 years ago.  In the bag a long time.  

Edited by Lemonde

TaylorMade MYSIM2 Red 9.0 HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX PVD 6.5

PONDERING: TaylorMade SIM2 MINI 300

ON ORDER: Mizuno ST-Z 15.0 HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 

New Level NLU-01 21 Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat

PONDERING: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 54

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58 ATV

Rife Phenom.Z 34‚ÄĚ
Mizuno K1 Lo 2021 Blue/Red
9 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

In fairness, despite not having any Titleist in the bag (did play almost full Titleist bag at one time), all of their equipment is extremely polished and understated. They ALWAYS have great performance but don't yell the loudest. If TM is the drunk frat guy, Titleist is the Ivey league law student. Ping is the computer science nerd who doesn't get the girls but will definitely end up getting better grades. 

Yes, totally get why people who do play Titleist choose to do so. Seriously, what's not to like?

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Callaway irons. I've tried every iteration of Apex including the currents and I always think that I can get over the short chubby blade length and everytime.... Same damn thing. I've even tried Steelhead XR (terrible finish) Steelhead XR Pro (black wore too quickly) Rogue Pro, close but NO CIGAR. However, that didn't stop from buying another set of 21's. 

Callaway- after being subject to several lengthy wait times and having an order cancelled by them I cannot with good conscience order from them again.   

But the new Apex Pros look really good.  and a combo set with some MBs is on my mind.  If I had unlimited funds I would order them now.  

So I guess none.  I'll use what I like if it works.

Adams has always felt like the brand that your grandpa's weird buddy would play...you know the guy; he retired early and gets bored easily, so he drove to the local golf store in his '94 Ford Econoline (with fancy rims and a pool table light on the inside) and buys literally the first set of clubs he sees, which is Adams because for some reason this imaginary shop is arranged alphabetically.  His bag is full of hybrids, rescue woods, and all sorts of oddities and weird clubs.  He's an early adopter of the weird things that eventually become commonplace, but since he's an eccentric guy, takes pride in holding onto his clubs for 20 years, gently washing them in Bartender's Friend and giving them a light rub with WD-40 after each round.  His clubs, while immaculate, are hilariously outdated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

Nike....

x flame suit on

x oxygen ready

Because I was not a fan of Tiger and he was Nike everything....ducking as I type.

I would not buy so much as a hat.

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

• Gxgolfer changed the title to What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***