2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***

jjfcpa

I'm definitely not a person who plays what's best for themselves, but gosh I'm really trying to think of a brand I would't at least try (or haven't tried already lol) . . . I got nothing. 

I said I'd never do PXG -- look how that turned out.

Was never really interested in any of Callaway's stuff -- again look how that turned out

Whoops.

• Like 1

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore Pro1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

Taylormade.

By the time I think I like something, they come up with a new version that is a great improvement over the one I was looking at.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

6 minutes ago, njlam said:

Taylormade.

By the time I think I like something, they come up with a new version that is a great improvement over the one I was looking at.

Ha, this is me. I got an R1 not 3 weeks ago, then got a too good a deal on an M3 head last week, then today I almost bid in a SIM. 🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 2/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, jamgam said:

Mizuno and I don’t get along

I will say this as well. As much as I’ve wanted to, and tried to, I just can’t get along with their irons as much as it pains me. Their sole designs just don’t work for me. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

• Gxgolfer changed the title to What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***

I've read through this whole thread and I'm amazed at the emotional attachment to brands.  What is really interesting is how personally some people take it. Humans are messed up...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

47 minutes ago, 14max said:

I've read through this whole thread and I'm amazed at the emotional attachment to brands.  What is really interesting is how personally some people take it. Humans are messed up...

I am always immediately attracted to threads that have "no politics" added by the mods in the title, when there clearly shouldn't be politics in a thread with that title. My first though always is "oh yessssss, this must be a car wreck"....Like how does a thread about X end up with a "no politics" disclaimer. 

Am i the only one who thinks of this stuff LOL

There was one a while back about hats i think that had a no politics disclaimer. 

FWIW, i'll play any brand at this point. And for the most part i have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don’t have a beef with any manufacturer in particular on equipment per se but rather with pricing structures in general.

I can and have bought a decent set of fitted irons for just under a grand or less. But I go to buy a driver and that one club is %40-50 the cost of the irons or a putter that %25 of the cost of the entire iron set. Insanity. 
 I digressed from the topic but.....I had to get that out, it’s Monday 

JPX EZ driver

Cally X hot 16* fwy

G20 3-4 hybrids

JPX Hot Metal irons

jpx wedges

Rife 2 bar

12 hours ago, onafriday said:

Is Bryson Dechambeau a brand?

Asking for a friend....

Too bad for Bryson that Andrew Johnston already has “ the beef” nickname

JPX EZ driver

Cally X hot 16* fwy

G20 3-4 hybrids

JPX Hot Metal irons

jpx wedges

Rife 2 bar

On 2/26/2021 at 7:10 AM, Nessism said:

Cameron first, because his fame came from making fancy Ping knockoffs.  And Titleist in general, who tries to separate themselves as the "pro's brand" which drives elitism and high prices. 

Its not unlike a cult.

It's been in place since at least the late 90s.  There was a review website that put together a piece about it, titled "Titleist Objectivity."  It described what had become known as the Titleist Kool-aid effect.  Was an interesting read.

If it weren't obvious, Titleist is on my brand averse list.  😉 The other is PXG.  Don't find the equipment interesting, find the ads obnoxious to the point I can't take them seriously.  

Somewhat amusingly, I used to avoid TM, not liking the movable weight thing, the product cycles, etc.  But....  their product cycles saved us from Callaway pricing becoming the norm.

Imagine buying a driver for $900 today, with a less than ideal stock shaft, and a loft somewhere in a several degree range, considerably higher than spec.  Where do I sign up?  LOL

And adjustable drivers are great.  Reshafting with a wrench in seconds sounds pretty good to me.

I got over the movable weight thing.  Great way to add weight to a clubhead for my preferred 43.25"-ish driver length...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

37 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Its not unlike a cult.

It's been in place since at least the late 90s.  There was a review website that put together a piece about it, titled "Titleist Objectivity."  It described what had become known as the Titleist Kool-aid effect.  Was an interesting read.

If it weren't obvious, Titleist is on my brand averse list.  😉 The other is PXG.  Don't find the equipment interesting, find the ads obnoxious to the point I can't take them seriously.  

Somewhat amusingly, I used to avoid TM, not liking the movable weight thing, the product cycles, etc.  But....  their product cycles saved us from Callaway pricing becoming the norm.

Imagine buying a driver for $900 today, with a less than ideal stock shaft, and a loft somewhere in a several degree range, considerably higher than spec.  Where do I sign up?  LOL

And adjustable drivers are great.  Reshafting with a wrench in seconds sounds pretty good to me.

I got over the movable weight thing.  Great way to add weight to a clubhead for my preferred 43.25"-ish driver length...

I have always sneered back at Titleist equipment because I felt like they looked down upon me.   The whole "serious clubs for serious golfers" schtick just rubbed me the wrong way.  I always felt like they were the Judge Smails of golf and I was Danny Noonan in their eyes.  In the firearms community there is a long running joke about. Heckler and Koch and how they view their customers ..the joke is "HK, where you suck and we hate you".  That's what I imagine Titleist. thinking of their customers.   You suck and they hate you.  

• Haha 3

PXG commercials are uppity and annoying.  

I'm not "averse" to companies per se.  Before I settled on my i210s, I hit pretty much everything else.  Mizuno makes great clubs but they didn't work for me.  Neither did Titleist.  I liked the Callaway Apex line but had similar distance and better dispersion with the Pings.

2 hours ago, 14max said:

If a Titleist tour van ran over your dog, you might feel different, too.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Callaway stuff has never floated my boat.

Their irons have always looked f'ugly to me, except their MB, X-Forged, Apex Pro.  Everything else has looked cheesy low-budget to me aesthetic-wise.  Mavrik is the dumbest name ever and terrible orange graphics IMO, I could never bag it.  I'm sure the wedges are superb.  Their drivers just never seem to be winners for me any time I demo them.  I'm in the Titleist and Ping camp when it comes to drivers / woods / hyrbrids.

I've never had anything against PXG but their currently marketing has them sounding more like a late night infomercial, along the lines of the Hammer, Alien Sand Wedge, Slap-Chop, etc.

flame1.jpg

Edited by ARL67

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I was honestly surprised it took that long before somebody "went there".

Granted, I've only been here a couple months, but I have seen enough to know. 🤣

Another forum (I've been on that one 20+ years) has a dedicated politics area that is usually respectful but has some great discussion.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

These replies are interesting. So here are mine.

For drivers, woods, and hybrids I will only play Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, PXG, Taylormade, Titleist. They have so much money into R&D that you’d have be dumb to choose other brands. 

Everything else doesn’t bother me too much. But some brands marketing kinda ticks me off. *cough* PXG *cough*

I will probably never play a Scotty Cameron putter.  I realize that they are extremely popular and the price is now similar to other putters but for some reason I just can't get over the cost.  That being said, my mind is weak and if I found a crazy good deal then I would likely reconsider.

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

17 minutes ago, denismcg said:

I will probably never play a Scotty Cameron putter.  I realize that they are extremely popular and the price is now similar to other putters but for some reason I just can't get over the cost.  That being said, my mind is weak and if I found a crazy good deal then I would likely reconsider.

I have always said if they made a fake lefty under $100, I would rock one. The ones on Wish for $50 look great. I'd almost learn to putt right just to rock one. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

PXG: arrogance and inflated prices for equivalent performance

TM: release cycles too fast, devalues own product. 

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

5 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I am always immediately attracted to threads that have "no politics" added by the mods in the title, when there clearly shouldn't be politics in a thread with that title. My first though always is "oh yessssss, this must be a car wreck"....Like how does a thread about X end up with a "no politics" disclaimer. 

There was one a while back about hats i think that had a no politics disclaimer. 

FWIW, i'll play any brand at this point. And for the most part i have.

My first thought too. 

And I’ve played it alll now ( see Jfg hybrid I have ). 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, Unplayablelies said:

I don’t have a beef with any manufacturer in particular on equipment per se but rather with pricing structures in general.

I can and have bought a decent set of fitted irons for just under a grand or less. But I go to buy a driver and that one club is %40-50 the cost of the irons or a putter that %25 of the cost of the entire iron set. Insanity. 
 I digressed from the topic but.....I had to get that out, it’s Monday 

There needs to be some perspective there. At home, I use a driver 12 times a round. I probably use my iron set 12 ish times and my wedges 6-8 times depending on how many greens I hit. I use a putter somewhere around 28-30 times.  So, my driver and putter are by far the lowest cost/stroke on and individual basis. In that context, those two things are probably underpriced. 

Ping used to be the brand i would avoid at all costs, and for no real reason. I took a flyer on a G410LST head off the bst last year when my driver was misbehaving. I've never experienced actual "forgiveness" in a club before that. The 410LST changed my mind about Ping forever. You couldn't pay me to switch at this point. 

The only other one would be Scotty putters, i've owned a dozen of them and they all suck. I wouldnt spend a dime on one of those again. 

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Admittedly I was a TM hater for YEARS.  It really goes back to the early 2000s when they would release multiple drivers through a year, every year.  I really liked the Titleist 2 year cycle, I felt like it protected my investment. 

Now that TM is on a yearly release cycle like other OEMs, I have lost my stigma.

I currently honestly don’t like Cobra.  I know they make really, really good stuff, but they are getting as gimick’y as TM in the 2010s.  Seriously..... 3D Printed Iron badge?  How is that any better than any other iron badge stuck onto the back of a GI iron with double sided 3M tape......

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Have to say it's PXG; I just don't get it but can appreciate that others do. Obviously others will disagree and good for them, but their stuff is still over-priced, over-engineered purely for its own sake without providing any demonstrable benefits. Like Bob Parsons I'm a veteran as well and I appreciate his service, but his personality just isn't one I'd want to be around for any length of time. The whole bombastic shtick just screams of compensating for something. As Frank Lucas says in the movie American Gangster, "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room."

If PXG was a vehicle, it would be a pickup truck that's never left a paved surface with a huge lift kit driven by a guy who needs a step stool to get into the cab. Meanwhile, we're over here looking at that guy trying to climb into his truck like...

incredulous ll cool j GIF

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I may be in the minority here, but I think PXG clubs look nice/cool/whatever. Their commercials on the other hand make me not want to watch golf so I won't buy them out of principle.

Titleist TS series drivers. No TS2 or TS3 variant, with any shaft combo, has ever made me say anything but "No thanks, next setup please." Why? Something about the feeling off the face. LOVE the looks of the clubheads and headcovers (not really considered in testing at all , but I do think they have the nicest looking) - gosh they are pretty - but I just can't do it. If I had to use a word...Hollow? Maybe?

Edited by Vinsanity23
  • Like 2

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* Diamana ZF 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

‘22 Phantom X7 or '00 WH Rossie

Pro V1