What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PXG. Obnoxious marketing and hideous looking clubs. 

Wilson, probably. The whole Fat Shaft thing was an affront to my delicate sensibilities. 

PXG. Ugly clubs and even worse commercials. 

Posted Images

I'm definitely not a person who plays what's best for themselves, but gosh I'm really trying to think of a brand I would't at least try (or haven't tried already lol) . . . I got nothing. 

I said I'd never do PXG -- look how that turned out.

Was never really interested in any of Callaway's stuff -- again look how that turned out

Whoops.

• Like 1

Driver:  (9) Taylormade SIM (9) PX HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel T/S GD YS-6S

5-Wood: (18) Taylormade V-Steel 5 MAS 2 S

Hybrid: (21) Callaway RAZR Tour 3 TTDG X100

Irons: (5-W) PXG 0311T GEN 1  TTDG TI S400
Gap Wedge: (50-12) PXG 0311 Forged GEN 1 TTDG TI S400

Sand Wedge: (54-12 Full) Cleveland RTX Zip Core TTDG TI Spinner Wedge

Lob Wedge: (58-04 K) Vokey Cold Forged Low Bounce TTDG S200 
Putter: PING i-Series  1/2 CRAZ-E L 48" 

Ball: TP5X, ProV1X, Vice Pro +, et al 

Taylormade.

By the time I think I like something, they come up with a new version that is a great improvement over the one I was looking at.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: PXG 25 w/MR Tensei Red R
Irons: Ping i200 5-U w/Project X 5.5 LZ
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge S w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 60 Tour Issue w/DG S400
Putter: Gamer Arizonan 
Ball: Titleist ProV1x 2017

6 minutes ago, njlam said:

Taylormade.

By the time I think I like something, they come up with a new version that is a great improvement over the one I was looking at.

Ha, this is me. I got an R1 not 3 weeks ago, then got a too good a deal on an M3 head last week, then today I almost bid in a SIM. 🤣

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

On 2/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, jamgam said:

Mizuno and I don’t get along

I will say this as well. As much as I’ve wanted to, and tried to, I just can’t get along with their irons as much as it pains me. Their sole designs just don’t work for me. 

WITB Thread

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

Squareback 2 - One and Done - ER5

• Gxgolfer changed the title to What brand are you most averse to and why? ***No Politics***

I've read through this whole thread and I'm amazed at the emotional attachment to brands.  What is really interesting is how personally some people take it. Humans are messed up...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver PING G400 SFT // TiSI (11.5*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Steelhead XR // GBB Hawk Eye (18*)

Irons PING G400 (5-7)/i200 (8-UW) // ISI-S (4-SW)

Wedge PING Glide 2.0 Stealth ES (56*/60*) // Eye2 XG (60*)

Putter PING WRX Karsten 1959 Anser X // Anser X (35")

Bag Datrek DG Lite II // Superlite Cart

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

47 minutes ago, 14max said:

I've read through this whole thread and I'm amazed at the emotional attachment to brands.  What is really interesting is how personally some people take it. Humans are messed up...

I am always immediately attracted to threads that have "no politics" added by the mods in the title, when there clearly shouldn't be politics in a thread with that title. My first though always is "oh yessssss, this must be a car wreck"....Like how does a thread about X end up with a "no politics" disclaimer. 

Am i the only one who thinks of this stuff LOL

There was one a while back about hats i think that had a no politics disclaimer. 

FWIW, i'll play any brand at this point. And for the most part i have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I don’t have a beef with any manufacturer in particular on equipment per se but rather with pricing structures in general.

I can and have bought a decent set of fitted irons for just under a grand or less. But I go to buy a driver and that one club is %40-50 the cost of the irons or a putter that %25 of the cost of the entire iron set. Insanity. 
 I digressed from the topic but.....I had to get that out, it’s Monday 

JPX EZ driver

G20 3-4 hybrids

JPX Hot Metal irons

Ping Anser 2 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:10 AM, Nessism said:

Cameron first, because his fame came from making fancy Ping knockoffs.  And Titleist in general, who tries to separate themselves as the "pro's brand" which drives elitism and high prices. 

Its not unlike a cult.

It's been in place since at least the late 90s.  There was a review website that put together a piece about it, titled "Titleist Objectivity."  It described what had become known as the Titleist Kool-aid effect.  Was an interesting read.

If it weren't obvious, Titleist is on my brand averse list.  😉 The other is PXG.  Don't find the equipment interesting, find the ads obnoxious to the point I can't take them seriously.  

Somewhat amusingly, I used to avoid TM, not liking the movable weight thing, the product cycles, etc.  But....  their product cycles saved us from Callaway pricing becoming the norm.

Imagine buying a driver for $900 today, with a less than ideal stock shaft, and a loft somewhere in a several degree range, considerably higher than spec.  Where do I sign up?  LOL

And adjustable drivers are great.  Reshafting with a wrench in seconds sounds pretty good to me.

I got over the movable weight thing.  Great way to add weight to a clubhead for my preferred 43.25"-ish driver length...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

37 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Its not unlike a cult.

It's been in place since at least the late 90s.  There was a review website that put together a piece about it, titled "Titleist Objectivity."  It described what had become known as the Titleist Kool-aid effect.  Was an interesting read.

If it weren't obvious, Titleist is on my brand averse list.  😉 The other is PXG.  Don't find the equipment interesting, find the ads obnoxious to the point I can't take them seriously.  

Somewhat amusingly, I used to avoid TM, not liking the movable weight thing, the product cycles, etc.  But....  their product cycles saved us from Callaway pricing becoming the norm.

Imagine buying a driver for $900 today, with a less than ideal stock shaft, and a loft somewhere in a several degree range, considerably higher than spec.  Where do I sign up?  LOL

And adjustable drivers are great.  Reshafting with a wrench in seconds sounds pretty good to me.

I got over the movable weight thing.  Great way to add weight to a clubhead for my preferred 43.25"-ish driver length...

I have always sneered back at Titleist equipment because I felt like they looked down upon me.   The whole "serious clubs for serious golfers" schtick just rubbed me the wrong way.  I always felt like they were the Judge Smails of golf and I was Danny Noonan in their eyes.  In the firearms community there is a long running joke about. Heckler and Koch and how they view their customers ..the joke is "HK, where you suck and we hate you".  That's what I imagine Titleist. thinking of their customers.   You suck and they hate you.  

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, 14max said:

If a Titleist tour van ran over your dog, you might feel different, too.

Taylormade M3 driver

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Callaway stuff has never floated my boat.

Their irons have always looked f'ugly to me, except their MB, X-Forged, Apex Pro.  Everything else has looked cheesy low-budget to me aesthetic-wise.  Mavrik is the dumbest name ever and terrible orange graphics IMO, I could never bag it.  I'm sure the wedges are superb.  Their drivers just never seem to be winners for me any time I demo them.  I'm in the Titleist and Ping camp when it comes to drivers / woods / hyrbrids.

I've never had anything against PXG but their currently marketing has them sounding more like a late night infomercial, along the lines of the Hammer, Alien Sand Wedge, Slap-Chop, etc.

flame1.jpg

Edited by ARL67

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 4-GW with Steelfiber i110cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
Set #3: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
Set #4: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I was honestly surprised it took that long before somebody "went there".

Granted, I've only been here a couple months, but I have seen enough to know. 🤣

Another forum (I've been on that one 20+ years) has a dedicated politics area that is usually respectful but has some great discussion.

Taylormade M3 driver

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

These replies are interesting. So here are mine.

For drivers, woods, and hybrids I will only play Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, PXG, Taylormade, Titleist. They have so much money into R&D that you’d have be dumb to choose other brands. 

Everything else doesn’t bother me too much. But some brands marketing kinda ticks me off. *cough* PXG *cough*

I will probably never play a Scotty Cameron putter.  I realize that they are extremely popular and the price is now similar to other putters but for some reason I just can't get over the cost.  That being said, my mind is weak and if I found a crazy good deal then I would likely reconsider.

Bridgestone Tour B XD-03 10.5 with GD Tour AD GP-6 stiff
Ping G400 15* with Alta CB 65
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 18 hybrid 
Tourstage X Blade 909 MB 4-PW with TT AMT Black stiff
Callaway MD4 50,54,48
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6

17 minutes ago, denismcg said:

I will probably never play a Scotty Cameron putter.  I realize that they are extremely popular and the price is now similar to other putters but for some reason I just can't get over the cost.  That being said, my mind is weak and if I found a crazy good deal then I would likely reconsider.

I have always said if they made a fake lefty under $100, I would rock one. The ones on Wish for $50 look great. I'd almost learn to putt right just to rock one. 🤣

Taylormade M3 driver

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

5 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I am always immediately attracted to threads that have "no politics" added by the mods in the title, when there clearly shouldn't be politics in a thread with that title. My first though always is "oh yessssss, this must be a car wreck"....Like how does a thread about X end up with a "no politics" disclaimer. 

There was one a while back about hats i think that had a no politics disclaimer. 

FWIW, i'll play any brand at this point. And for the most part i have.

My first thought too. 

And I’ve played it alll now ( see Jfg hybrid I have ). 

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

5 hours ago, Unplayablelies said:

I don’t have a beef with any manufacturer in particular on equipment per se but rather with pricing structures in general.

I can and have bought a decent set of fitted irons for just under a grand or less. But I go to buy a driver and that one club is %40-50 the cost of the irons or a putter that %25 of the cost of the entire iron set. Insanity. 
 I digressed from the topic but.....I had to get that out, it’s Monday 

There needs to be some perspective there. At home, I use a driver 12 times a round. I probably use my iron set 12 ish times and my wedges 6-8 times depending on how many greens I hit. I use a putter somewhere around 28-30 times.  So, my driver and putter are by far the lowest cost/stroke on and individual basis. In that context, those two things are probably underpriced. 

Ping used to be the brand i would avoid at all costs, and for no real reason. I took a flyer on a G410LST head off the bst last year when my driver was misbehaving. I've never experienced actual "forgiveness" in a club before that. The 410LST changed my mind about Ping forever. You couldn't pay me to switch at this point. 

The only other one would be Scotty putters, i've owned a dozen of them and they all suck. I wouldnt spend a dime on one of those again. 

• G410 LST 9* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
  • TM SIM Ti 14.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • TM M5 Ti 18.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Adams CMB/MB2 4-Pw - Modus 120X 4-7/PX LZ 6.5 8-Pw
  • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • Cobra Tour Raw 60.08V - DG TI Onyx S400
  • Odyssey Rossie WHP
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS

Admittedly I was a TM hater for YEARS.  It really goes back to the early 2000s when they would release multiple drivers through a year, every year.  I really liked the Titleist 2 year cycle, I felt like it protected my investment. 

Now that TM is on a yearly release cycle like other OEMs, I have lost my stigma.

I currently honestly don’t like Cobra.  I know they make really, really good stuff, but they are getting as gimick’y as TM in the 2010s.  Seriously..... 3D Printed Iron badge?  How is that any better than any other iron badge stuck onto the back of a GI iron with double sided 3M tape......

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

Taylormade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

Have to say it's PXG; I just don't get it but can appreciate that others do. Obviously others will disagree and good for them, but their stuff is still over-priced, over-engineered purely for its own sake without providing any demonstrable benefits. Like Bob Parsons I'm a veteran as well and I appreciate his service, but his personality just isn't one I'd want to be around for any length of time. The whole bombastic shtick just screams of compensating for something. As Frank Lucas says in the movie American Gangster, "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room."

If PXG was a vehicle, it would be a pickup truck that's never left a paved surface with a huge lift kit driven by a guy who needs a step stool to get into the cab. Meanwhile, we're over here looking at that guy trying to climb into his truck like...

incredulous ll cool j GIF

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link