Lightweight bag for mostly walking.( First post)

Bashdash

My first post!  I currently have a SM swift bag and much older SM 4.5 but would like a new bag.  Looking into the SM 2.5 either   2020 or 2021. What is main difference? I also have been reading some posts on the straps it comes with needing to be changed for EZ straps. Is this costly? 

Also, while going down this rabbit hole I discovered the SM zero G.  Does the belt strap make a big difference?

Last consideration is that I occasionally use a 2 wheel bag boy cart and am wondering if any bag is super light but also good for this situation.  

Am definitely open to other suggestions for my situation.  Play roughly 3 times a week and age in early 40s.  Thanks for any insight.

Take a look at the Hoofer Lite as well. It weighs 4.5 lbs, but most will agree that Ping's strap system is so well done that it makes the bag carry much lighter than it actually is.

Plus with Ping's quality it should be a bag that you have for a long time. I recently upgraded to a Hoofer Lite from my Hoofer Xtreme that I had had for over 10 years even though I probably could have gotten another 10 out of it if I wanted.

5 hours ago, Bashdash said:

My first post!  I currently have a SM swift bag and much older SM 4.5 but would like a new bag.  Looking into the SM 2.5 either   2020 or 2021. What is main difference? I also have been reading some posts on the straps it comes with needing to be changed for EZ straps. Is this costly? 

Also, while going down this rabbit hole I discovered the SM zero G.  Does the belt strap make a big difference?

Last consideration is that I occasionally use a 2 wheel bag boy cart and am wondering if any bag is super light but also good for this situation.  

Am definitely open to other suggestions for my situation.  Play roughly 3 times a week and age in early 40s.  Thanks for any insight.

Main difference is the 2021 has added a small pocket above the larger ball pocket on the spine.  Personally, I don't mind the 2.5+ stock straps, so definitely give them a try before ordering the EZ Fit straps.  It's been a few years, but iirc it was about $15 to order EZ Fit straps.  They'll ship them separately, there are Sun Mtn videos showing how to switch the straps.

(I've never tried the Zero G, and I've never tried a push cart)

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Thanks for the replies!  I'm leaning towards the 2.5 in gray/gunmetal red.   Any experience with a push cart?  I'm thinking it might be a problem.   I currently have a bag boy 2 cart but if I upgrade to a sun mountain in the future I am wondering if all sunmountain bags are workable with sun mountain carts?   Thanks!!

I replaced an old Ogio with a 2021 Sun Mountain 2.5+.  Good bag, carries easy and light.  2021 adds a small pocket above the ball pocket and deletes the Velcro for a glove, I don’t wear one so it’s not a problem.   I was able to look at the 2020 and 2021 next to each other at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I made the decision based on the extra pocket.  I played with 12 clubs midsize grips and oversized putter grip.  No tangle I was concerned with.  FYI the dividers are full length and the middle also has a divider.  I walk about 90% of the time and probably have 50 round with the bag.  No problems.

59 minutes ago, Tsquare90 said:

No strap to hold legs.

That’s disappointing, thank you.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

For the guys who have stand bags and use them occasionally with push carts; you don’t necessarily need a strap for the legs to use it on the cart correct?

An employee at my local shop said that they work fine on carts without a strap, but trust you guys’ experience more.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

8 hours ago, BallerNate said:

For the guys who have stand bags and use them occasionally with push carts; you don’t necessarily need a strap for the legs to use it on the cart correct?

An employee at my local shop said that they work fine on carts without a strap, but trust you guys’ experience more.

I've had various Ping Hoofers ('16, '19, Tour) and Sun Mountain stand bags (Four5, 2.5+, 3.5LS) on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart over hundreds of rounds and don't remember ever experiencing issues with the legs dangling.  (Sun Mountain's external foot/pedal system doesn't fit the lower bracket on the Clicgear very well, but that's a different issue.)

When strapped onto the back of a power cart, however, I noticed the 2.5 & 3.5 occasionally leaned inward which would engage the foot/pedal and extend the legs out from the bag a bit.  I tend to carry a lot of stuff though, so perhaps only a skinnier stand bag like the 2.5 or 3.5 that's heavily loaded would be able to lean/wiggle enough to cause its legs to deploy a bit while on the back of a power cart.

• Like 1

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

6 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

I've had various Ping Hoofers ('16, '19, Tour) and Sun Mountain stand bags (Four5, 2.5+, 3.5LS) on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart over hundreds of rounds and don't remember ever experiencing issues with the legs dangling.  (Sun Mountain's external foot/pedal system doesn't fit the lower bracket on the Clicgear very well, but that's a different issue.)

When strapped onto the back of a power cart, however, I noticed the 2.5 & 3.5 occasionally leaned inward which would engage the foot/pedal and extend the legs out from the bag a bit.  I tend to carry a lot of stuff though, so perhaps only a skinnier stand bag like the 2.5 or 3.5 that's heavily loaded would be able to lean/wiggle enough to cause its legs to deploy a bit while on the back of a power cart.

Ok excellent, thanks very much for the insight.

I’ve been looking for the right fit for my first stand bag over the last month, and I’m seeing how hard it is to find the right one.

The ones that I thought would’ve been the right fit, the OGIO Fuse 4, and SM 3.5LS didn’t work well for what I was looking for, so I’ve settled on a TM FlexTech for now. We’ll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, Bashdash said:

Grumpycat thanks for the insight on the pushcart with the 2.5.....are you saying that the external foot/pedal system is an annoyance for the cart?  Is there anyway to prevent this?  I really want to get that bag but I am seeing other stand bags don't have that system might be a better fit.

The external foot pedal and its exposed tension rod on SM bags seem to stick out a bit more than other brands.  This doesn't quite allow the bag to sit perfectly onto the lower bracket of the Clicgear 3.0/3.5 (not sure about 4.0).  In contrast, stand bags without an external pedal like Ping and Titleist sit just fine.  But that's just me.  I'm sure there are lots of golfers who use SM stand bags on Clicgear carts and have no complaints.  I'd strongly recommend going to a store to see how your prospective bag will sit on the pushcart you plan on using.

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

OP here.  Thanks for all the replies!  I'm heavily leaning towards a 3.5 zero G belt.  I've seen some great feedback on them.  It's only one pound more than the 2.5 and maybe the belt will help.  I found one on Amazon so I can always return to Kohl's if I load it up with my clubs and don't like it.  Golf galaxy and dick's my other local stores don't have it.

Do other SM bags have the capability of using the belt that I can buy separately?  It's difficult to tell on their website.

The only other bag in the 2021 lineup that will accept the zg belt is the collegiate. That would bump the weight up another pound but there are a lot more color combinations to choose from. I have the collegiate now - it’s a bit bigger than I would like but I think I’m going to keep it. 

Thanks Dan for the info about the collegiate.   Looks like my amazon plan for the Zero G is not going to work as they don't have it.   I can't find it at Dicks or Golf Galaxy online either.   Maybe as we get closer to spring they will sell it.  Right now the SM site is the only place I can find the zero G and also Rockbottom.

1 hour ago, Bashdash said:

Thanks Dan for the info about the collegiate.   Looks like my amazon plan for the Zero G is not going to work as they don't have it.   I can't find it at Dicks or Golf Galaxy online either.   Maybe as we get closer to spring they will sell it.  Right now the SM site is the only place I can find the zero G and also Rockbottom.

Maybe contact Discount Dan's, they've ordered Sun Mountain items for me in the past.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Update:

So I went to Golf Galaxy and they had a huge selection.  For some reason, I misread online that they didn't have the SM 2.5 in stock.   First impression is that the 2021 is a pretty amazing bag for me.  I tossed it on a SM Speed Cart and it seemed to be pretty secure with the bungees attached.  I didn't fill it with clubs to get a true test but it is nice to know that it fit pretty well.   (I'm also looking into the CaddyTek 3).  Honestly, I think I might be quite happy carrying with the 2.5 and may not want to push at all.  I did notice that there is no leg lock on the 2.5 but the legs seem much more secure on the cart than my Swift legs are.  Maybe when you start using the 2.5 more the legs "loosen" up a little bit and become a problem?

While in the store, I did see a Mizuno K1 LO that seemed great too.   For some reason, I don't like the material it is made of and can see it ripping over time going in and out of my trunk.  This may or may not be true.

An odd twist to this search is when I get home I go in my garage and dust off my old SM 3.5 in which I love.   I had been using a SM Swift last couple of seasons and only know discovered that it is actually heavier than the 3.5.   I do have a small pocket zipper that is broken on the 3.5.  It is not really a pocket I use but I am going to call a tailor today to see what it would cost to get to repair.  While in Golf Galaxy I did try out the EZ fit straps and did find that I like it a lot better than the X straps.   If anyone has a spare please message me, I am interested in buying from you.  I do understand I can also buy from SM.

So for now, I think I'm going to revitalize the 3.5, by fixing the zipper and try and get some EZ fit straps.  These straps will be good to have in general as I am probably also going to buy that 2.5.  The Swift is going to be delegated to the garage for now.

Thanks for all the help in this thread.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bashdash said:

Update:

So I went to Golf Galaxy and they had a huge selection.  For some reason, I misread online that they didn't have the SM 2.5 in stock.   First impression is that the 2021 is a pretty amazing bag for me.  I tossed it on a SM Speed Cart and it seemed to be pretty secure with the bungees attached.  I didn't fill it with clubs to get a true test but it is nice to know that it fit pretty well.   (I'm also looking into the CaddyTek 3).  Honestly, I think I might be quite happy carrying with the 2.5 and may not want to push at all.  I did notice that there is no leg lock on the 2.5 but the legs seem much more secure on the cart than my Swift legs are.  Maybe when you start using the 2.5 more the legs "loosen" up a little bit and become a problem?

While in the store, I did see a Mizuno K1 LO that seemed great too.   For some reason, I don't like the material it is made of and can see it ripping over time going in and out of my trunk.  This may or may not be true.

An odd twist to this search is when I get home I go in my garage and dust off my old SM 3.5 in which I love.   I had been using a SM Swift last couple of seasons and only know discovered that it is actually heavier than the 3.5.   I do have a small pocket zipper that is broken on the 3.5.  It is not really a pocket I use but I am going to call a tailor today to see what it would cost to get to repair.  While in Golf Galaxy I did try out the EZ fit straps and did find that I like it a lot better than the X straps.   If anyone has a spare please message me, I am interested in buying from you.  I do understand I can also buy from SM.

So for now, I think I'm going to revitalize the 3.5, by fixing the zipper and try and get some EZ fit straps.  These straps will be good to have in general as I am probably also going to buy that 2.5.  The Swift is going to be delegated to the garage for now.

Thanks for all the help in this thread.

Awesome...great to hear you found the best fit for you! That’s what it’s all about at the end of the day.

I have to say that if I was buying a bag to carry 100% of the time, or I was planning on buying a different push cart, I would’ve bought the SM 2.5+ too...great bag and incredibly light!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Going to pull the trigger on a 2021 2.5 SM from carl's golfland.  Deciding between all black and the gunmetal gray and red. Going to leave the x straps.  Just read another thread where brew4eagle describes how to adjust the x straps properly.  I don't want to wait for an amazing deal when I can be using the bag.  Plus it seems from multiple threads to be able to use a push cart no problem.  Now I have to decide on the color.  I would buy the 2020 but I don't use a glove so that glove velcro is useless when I can have a pocket in the 2021.

Edited by Bashdash

• 3 months later...

Bag Boy carts are OK ... I think Clicgear and Sun Mountain are far and above the cream of the crop though.

I would look at Sun Mountain first. The Speed Cart is an awesome bag if trunk space isn't a problem, both the prior and current versions. If you have a smaller trunk (which I do) or just like the idea of a 4-wheel cart), the Pathfinder 4 is fantastic. Reliable, durable, easy to use, small, can add extras if you want, just the right amount of storage ... it checks all the boxes. I'm on my second one (bought the first after knee surgery ... sold it when I thought I was ready to start carrying again ... bought another when I figured out I was stupid to carry instead of push).

EDIT: I play 2-4 times a week ... my buddy (who has an SUV and plenty of space) has a Clicgear 4.0 and likes it. Personally, I think it's a nice cart, but I like the Sun Mountains more.

Edited by tatertot

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag