Looking for the perfect irons for a player without an ego.

ShAMbotay

I've been keeping up with most iron releases this year, and almost all of them are fit to specific demographics, assuming that there is a "bell curve". the manufacturers assume that the better player wants to have a club that they like to look at, with a thin topline, little offset, and provides more control and shot shaping ability. For the recreational or aging player, they market irons that have strong lofts, are forgiving, and are designed to go far, even if sometimes the distance consistency isn't there. sometimes, with game improvement irons and players distance irons, you get that shot that inexplicably goes 20 yards long. while that can be great for a specific part of the bell curve that welcomes the extra distance, many better players steer clear of these irons because of these shots.

I want the best of both worlds in a set of irons, without the ego. I want the forgiveness and yes, the confidence inspiring shape of a thick topline and offset, particularly behind the long irons that come from the game improvement category, but I want the distance consistency that the player's irons are known for. What I could do without is the strong lofts and blatant pursuit of distance above all else that plagues the game improvement category, but there's nothing more terrifying to me than a muscle back long iron behind the ball.

imagine an 8hcp that doesn't fit the bell curve that manufacturers use for their cookie cutter target demographics. Please discuss, suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

PING

• Like 3
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

21 minutes ago, dan360 said:

PING

which ping? there are quite a few of them.

Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

3 minutes ago, 95124hacker said:

Some combo set like King Cobra Forged CB/MB

https://www.cobragolf.com/king-forged-irons

unfortunately, that's definitely not the kind of thing I'm looking for. I don't like looking down at a club that intimidating, and those definitely look unforgiving to me.

Artisan 0418 putter

Honma tw-x irons.  Very forgiving.  Medium top line.  Very easy to hit and have the consistency you are looking for.

Also pxg gen 2 or gen 3 p model.  Hide the size well and also fit the bill for what you are after.  Forgiving and consistent.  If you like harder face get gen 2.  If you like a super soft feel get gen 3.

Edited by mikey6866
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, 95124hacker said:

yeah, someone already mentioned those, and they're closer to what I'm looking for.

Artisan 0418 putter

19 minutes ago, mikey6866 said:

Honma tw-x irons.  Very forgiving.  Medium top line.  Very easy to hit and have the consistency you are looking for.

Also pxg gen 2 or gen 3 p model.  Hide the size well and also fit the bill for what you are after.  Forgiving and consistent.  If you like harder face get gen 2.  If you like a super soft feel get gen 3.

I thought the PXG irons had that issue with the occasional missile that goes way further than expected? I have the '19 0211 irons, and that's an issue I have with them. Also I'm not exactly looking to hide the size of the iron. if it looks too small, it'll scare me and my poor ball away from the green.

Artisan 0418 putter

5 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

I thought the PXG irons had that issue with the occasional missile that goes way further than expected? I have the '19 0211 irons, and that's an issue I have with them. Also I'm not exactly looking to hide the size of the iron. if it looks too small, it'll scare me and my poor ball away from the green.

I've never played the 0211 so I couldn't speak on them but I didn't have any issues with distance consistency with the p's. 

Apex cf 16 and epic forged were the 2 sets of irons I felt I never knew what distance they would go because I would get some real hot ones with both of those irons.  Haven't had any issues with distance consistency other than these 2 sets.  

1 hour ago, ShAMbotay said:

I have the same irons and the only time they are inconsistent in distance is when I don't do my part.  Their feel, or lack thereof, doesn't give much negative feedback.   Not everything is flushed and if you get those missles it means you're either in a flyer lie, or missing the sweet spot more than you think.

As far as PING goes, any of them, but if you're stuck on the jacked loft thing you probably won't be happy.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I don’t like the distance irons, but want some forgiveness... I play the adams cmbs and love them... I’m assuming you don’t want to track down an 8 year old set of irons.

If I had to replace mine, I’d buy the king tech mim. I’ve heard great things about their feel, and I think they look great.

ping g425 are also excellent.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Aside from the suggestions already given I'd check out Ben Hogan.  Their Edge irons may fit the bill - GI with 30° 6 iron, 46° PW, 2 piece forged hollow foam filled heads.

Or their players CB PTx Pro with the same lofts, maybe combined with the UiHi utility irons up top.

They all have pretty friendly looking toplines, and friendly price tags.

• Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I know exactly what you're looking for.  I, too, struggled with the same dilemma.  Use too much face for player clubs but can't control the game improvement clubs well enough.  Tried a lot of irons.  Nothing hit the spot until I rented a set of Ping G400 on vacation.  Hit 9 greens that round.   They're so easy.  They are big and clunky but the shaft, AWT 2.0 is great and the ball just does what you hope it will do.  No crazy shots 20 yds over the green like I experienced with other GI clubs. Bought a set the day I got home from vacation and love them.  So, definitely recommend ping G series. 

I've tried i200 and i210 on the range and they are great, too, and might be the perfect club for you and maybe me but I'm not switching.  Don't see a reason you need retro spec.  You'll get consistent distances from the regular version and a little more distance. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

yeah, someone already mentioned those, and they're closer to what I'm looking for.

Actually this was a new suggestion. The other was just the zx5 and this one was a combo set of zx5 and ZX7.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I've been defying those bell curves for years.  I need some forgiveness, but don't need or want offset.   I don't need help getting the ball in the air, yet I need spin, not pure distance.  Glad to see the new generation of clubs that fit between blades and GI irons.  Have a set of Srixon ZX5s being built right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IPA4Me said:

I've been defying those bell curves for years.  I need some forgiveness, but don't need or want offset.   I don't need help getting the ball in the air, yet I need spin, not pure distance.  Glad to see the new generation of clubs that fit between blades and GI irons.  Have a set of Srixon ZX5s being built right now.

+1 zx5. Crazy forgiving and look great at address 

• Like 1

Ping i210. I bought the G710 a month ago. Wish I didn’t. I fit the same bill you do at a 9HC and was looking for forgiveness. I’m not crazy about the G710 but I’ll probably play them for this year. Yesterday I hit them at my pro shop in a simulator against i210’s. The lofts are jacked on the G710 (power spec). I was only hitting the i210’s about 5 yards shorter than the G710, and the i210 was 5* more loft per club. Made no sense. I hit a ton of shots. Consistently only 5 yards shorter with the 210 and the distances were dead on every time. No fliers. With the G710 I’d occasionally get a 7 iron that flew 20 yards too far and the gap between the 7 and 8 was almost 20 yards. Not ok. The i210 was incredibly consistent and had plenty of forgiveness. Not to mention the feel was night and day. Only problem is the heads are back ordered for months. If I could sell my G710s, I’d pick up a set of i210s on eBay or here in a heartbeat. Bummed I didn’t try them first. Such a great iron. (If anyone wants to buy my G710s let me know😂)

I can second the Honma TW-X. Best clubs I’ve had in my life so far. Read the thread about them.

Would also recommend other Honma irons like the 747 P’s. The XP-1 is a little too game improvement overall but the irons might work for you.

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

9 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

which ping? there are quite a few of them.

Anything from the i20 to the i210.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

You've got quite a few options in that space.  JPX 921 Forged, Srixon ZX7/5 combo, Ping i210.  I think you're going to find a lot more distance consistency in one-piece iron designs as opposed to those with hollow constructions, strong lofts, or ultra-thin faces designed for ball speed. 

I think most of those "flyer" outliers are due to low spin.  If you can find something that spins a reasonable number throughout the bag, you're going to (mostly) eliminate those hot shots.

Edited by forrester_fire