Dechambeau - Fast backswing (who has tried this?)

Hackinator

Dechambeau has a really fast backswing with his driver since is he is trying to generate a lot of clubhead speed.

Anybody build this into their own swing

My backswing tends to be on the slower side and trying to save up speed for later.

I've tried a lot of things with my driver to pick up speed.. EXCEPT for a fast backswing.

I have a swing speed that averages   96/97 and hitting my driver around 240/250 with normal conditions.

I am GREEDILY looking for more speed 🙂

So who has tried increase the speed by increase their backswing speed?

I’ve tried it, and it’s helped, although I sometimes have to remind myself to finish the backswing, otherwise I can get too quick through the transition.  Backswing can fast, but it can’t be rushed. 🤷‍♂️

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I consider my back swing fast, but it's intended purpose was never to help generate more ss.  It has always that way since I started golf at 8. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Bryson and his videos with Kyle show that he’s really has not dove to deep into the idea that you can generate more clubhead speed with a longer, slower swing and loading feeling, he might be going slower swing once he builds a driver he likes. 

who knows, But approach with caution

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Golf magazine(6/29/20)  had an article addressing this idea. Some studies have indicated that a faster backswing will increase speed going down , because of “counter movements”

However, there are two caveats associated with trying a faster backswing. The first is obvious, whether a faster backswing will disrupt your transition and make it more difficult to retain your smash factor. The second is less obvious, whether a faster backswing will increase your chances of injury.

There are certainly some touring pros with fast backswings , but there are also some some with slow backswings and Hideki Matsuyama who actually pauses  slightly at the top.

Ive have tried it and it does not translate to the rest of my bag with enough of a benefit. Works for Bryson but not for this amateur.. 🤣

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

When I'm confident enough I speed up my back swing.  It's not for more distance though.  Though it does help.  It matches my fast transition and helps me finish my swing.  With a slower back swing my transition becomes quick and I don't finish the swing.  The faster back swing fits my swing better.  Ball flight with the faster back swing becomes a nice easy draw.  When I back swing slower I have a tendency for a fast transition and it becomes directing the ball instead of a full smooth swing.

• Like 1

Working at a golf course for years, I would estimate that 80% of players I see take too slow of a backswing! 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I did actually try this today at the range with my swing radar.

And there was a definitely an increase in speed.

Like I said previously, I usually average about 96/97.  I was actually seeing speeds between 99 and 107 on the radar.  

As I was setting up for my 1st shot, I sort of anchored my feet into the ground in anticipation of faster backswing.

And also to avoid any sway.  I think this anchoring was big key.

Faster backswing, faster downswing... MORE SPEED... who would have ever guessed this,

DUH :)

• Like 1

For those who don't load their legs or right side well a faster takeaway can help which should increase speed in the legs resist properly. When I'm really hitting the driver well I will generally increase my backswing speed. The Mike Austin setup(for lack of a better name) which is on youtube, which many pro use btw, sets the legs braced toward the target at the setup and the hips are basically open. One then can freely rebound of the legs which will significantly increase clubhead speed all things being equal.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

It's the sacho mckenzie principle. Faster backswing causes more force applied in transition. The problem with a fast backswing and fast transition is that control is easily lost. And dechambeau has certainly had bouts of control issues lately. 

You can generate just as much clubhead speed with a moderate tempo backswing and smooth transition. 

Look at the video dechambeau made with berkshire where berkshire hit an 8i like 300 yards. In that video Berkshire tells him to wait longer in transition. Dechambeau did it and increased ballspeed the next shot. 

I've tried the fast backswing and it does produce faster speed (2mph more ballspeed for me) but it better be on a hole with room to miss...

This is all relative. If you have too slow a backswing then do it. Just have to know what's fast, moderate, and slow and go from there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hackinator said:

Dechambeau has a really fast backswing with his driver since is he is trying to generate a lot of clubhead speed.

Anybody build this into their own swing

My backswing tends to be on the slower side and trying to save up speed for later.

I've tried a lot of things with my driver to pick up speed.. EXCEPT for a fast backswing.

I have a swing speed that averages   96/97 and hitting my driver around 240/250 with normal conditions.

I am GREEDILY looking for more speed 🙂

So who has tried increase the speed by increase their backswing speed?

You might enjoy looking into the Tour Tempo data and resulting philosophy.

Berkshire also has this rocking motion at the start of his swing he looks very dynamic.  I cant find a quote, but I remember him saying something to the effect that he is really trying hard to get moving as fast as he can to start the swing.

As for transition, yes, I am trying to basically keep the sequencing of my original swing , but everything is just sped up somewhat.

Not really trying to reinvent anything, literally just swing faster from the beginning of the swing.

16 hours ago, getitdaily said:

It's the sacho mckenzie principle. Faster backswing causes more force applied in transition. The problem with a fast backswing and fast transition is that control is easily lost. And dechambeau has certainly had bouts of control issues lately. 

You can generate just as much clubhead speed with a moderate tempo backswing and smooth transition. 

Look at the video dechambeau made with berkshire where berkshire hit an 8i like 300 yards. In that video Berkshire tells him to wait longer in transition. Dechambeau did it and increased ballspeed the next shot. 

I've tried the fast backswing and it does produce faster speed (2mph more ballspeed for me) but it better be on a hole with room to miss...

This is all relative. If you have too slow a backswing then do it. Just have to know what's fast, moderate, and slow and go from there.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, b.mattay said:

Working at a golf course for years, I would estimate that 80% of players I see take too slow of a backswing! 

It's more like 99.99%. Have to laugh in these threads, download the free Frame Counter app, load a normal/non-slow motion swing and use the counter for the frames in the backswing. Now realize guys like Rory, Rickie, and Matthew Fitzpatrick are in the 18-20 backswing range...which is nuclear fast. Most people are way too slow going back and rush transition to find some speed, that's where they get sideways.

There are so many benefits to a fast backswing like increased swing speed, better transition, better sequencing, it's one of the fundamentals I try to always work on. 

• Like 2

A personal experience on faster backswing.  I tried to implement this like four years ago chasing more distance.  I failed big time.  My swing was completely out of timing.  You cannot play golf that way, you cannot hit the ball solid.  This is a cautionary tale of a regular guy who doesn't hit WRX long but tried hard to.  

It took me one more year to slow down to the point of starting feeling the swing back.  Funny thing is this guy I hit balls with used to tell me why I wanted to go faster if my swing was really fast already.  What happens when you start with the backswing thing is your swing becomes backswing oriented and it's a mess.  Plus the total lack of balance and rhythm.  I don't know how and who can diagnose how fast is enough and not too fast.  When the ball starts telling you then it's a bit late. I guess this is the kind of change that must be supervised, like prescription meds.  

Fast forward to these days I got my rhythm back and I'm hitting solid again.  I love the oily feeling of the swing and the finish I can keep forever after hitting (which I've done al my life).  I think we all get obssessed with gaining 10/15 yards but one of the more dangerous ways of trying to get them is this way.

However, I can't deny that more clubhead speed, more distance, it the laws of physics.    

34 minutes ago, gators78 said:

It's more like 99.99%. Have to laugh in these threads, download the free Frame Counter app, load a normal/non-slow motion swing and use the counter for the frames in the backswing. Now realize guys like Rory, Rickie, and Matthew Fitzpatrick are in the 18-20 backswing range...which is nuclear fast. Most people are way too slow going back and rush transition to find some speed, that's where they get sideways.

There are so many benefits to a fast backswing like increased swing speed, better transition, better sequencing, it's one of the fundamentals I try to always work on. 

Exactly what Tour Tempo says, based on their research.

24 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

A personal experience on faster backswing.  I tried to implement this like four years ago chasing more distance.  I failed big time.  My swing was completely out of timing.  

Plus the total lack of balance and rhythm.  I don't know how and who can diagnose how fast is enough and not too fast.  When the ball starts telling you then it's a bit late. I guess this is the kind of change that must be supervised, like prescription meds.  

Again quoting from TT, it's not all about having a faster backswing.  It's mainly, according to their theory, about having the correct rhythm which is a backswing/downswing ratio of 3/1.  Absolutely, however, go with what works for you.

6 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This is not what I see or what is measured. On every range I can tell the good players because their swing is over before most hackers have reached the top. 

Someone said it earlier in the thread. It’s a matter of “readiness” if that makes sense?

To stretch the muscles and get the maximum amount of “bounce back” you need a faster back swing just before the top of the swing.

Most players take us back too fast trying to copy the few better players. Most are likely not ready to do that yet.

9 minutes ago, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

Someone said it earlier in the thread. It’s a matter of “readiness” if that makes sense?

To stretch the muscles and get the maximum amount of “bounce back” you need a faster back swing just before the top of the swing.

Most players take us back too fast trying to copy the few better players. Most are likely not ready to do that yet.

Sorry, but there is no "bounce back." It sounds good and people like to make the analogy, but muscle action is not like rubber bands. There's a thing called Excitation-Contraction Coupling.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

3 hours ago, gators78 said:

Fair enough, I was trying to be conservative but it is certainly an epidemic! 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I've noticed that Morikawa starts slow but by 2/3 of his backswing his CHS is the same as my downswing.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

31 minutes ago, b.mattay said:

Fair enough, I was trying to be conservative but it is certainly an epidemic! 

All good we're saying the same thing, I think hole in ones are more common than amateurs that swing too fast back. 

25 minutes ago, sprcoop said:

I've noticed that Morikawa starts slow but by 2/3 of his backswing his CHS is the same as my downswing.

*Puts flame suit on* Yea so you can watch any YouTube video and use the < or > buttons to count the frames instead of the Frame Counter App, Collin kind of does a similar thing to Sungjae Im/Kenny Perry where he starts super slow and kind of speeds it up halfway back. Collin's tempo on one driver is 27/6, which is great for him since he's otherworldly talented...but that tempo is teetering on bad news for us mortals. 

Gaining distance is definitely not a priority of mine. I worked years to get my swing slowed down to where I feel I am ripping my shots with good lag, shaft lean, and no flipping. Everyone's feels are going to be different. For years people who I play with would tell me I can't keep that swing forever. I realized they were right and so glad I slowed it down. To me, it feels like my backswing starts slow, but gains momentum the entire time. I know you are stopping at the top, but you still have coil. That's how I feel it anyways.

Mr. Wolfe