Can Bryson drive par 5 6th at Bay Hill?

Londoner

I noticed at least twice where he amazingly finds a problem right in front of his ball prior to putting what were short putts and taps it down with his putter blade pointing at the hole.

Seems like he is creating a slight groove in the green where he wants his ball to start. Flame away

• Like 2

Callaway Max LS 10.5 Fuji 2.0 6X

Callaway Speed 4 wood Fuji 2.0 6X

Callaway EPIC flash 7 wood GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX TCB 4-AW Catalyst 100 6.0

Callaway MD5 52 & 58 XCaliber RT wedge

Toulon Las Vegas BGT Stability

5 minutes ago, The4TH said:

Great win BD!

USGA gonna look at 6th hole and conclude again that there is a distance (Bryson not Rory) problem 🙃

Making 48” drivers illegal made it clear that they are only targeting Bryson.

Nothing new from the USGA 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Lol, I will fix that for you....

That would be “US Open champion Bryson DeChambeau” 

How is that a sideshow?  I will never get wrx. At least half the crowd here agreed with Faldo that Rickie doesn’t try hard enough. Then you get Bryson, who puts his whole being into being the absolute best golfer he can be and he gets called a “sideshow “?

We're not discussing his achievements and accolades, we're discussing specifically the 6th hole at Bay Hill which absolutely has turned into a sideshow this week. It's all anyone is talking about meanwhile there's been 3 holes in 1 made this week. I'm guessing without looking them up most people can't name two of the three players who made them. Bryson is doing what he's doing and thats good for him, I'm not faulting him for playing his own game. However my point still stands that there's plenty of other guys out on the course every week playing great golf and making incredible shots. We dont see 15 minute segments dedicated to it on the coverage, there's minimal reason we need to dedicate that airtime to one single shot which ultimately resulted in the same score on the hole as the guy who was 170 yards farther from the hole in the same pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

I noticed at least twice where he amazingly finds a problem right in front of his ball prior to putting what were short putts and taps it down with his putter blade pointing at the hole.

Seems like he is creating a slight groove in the green where he wants his ball to start. Flame away

Nothing wrong with this at all, perfectly fine. Not really any different than marking your ball and cleaning it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Josh L. said:

We're not discussing his achievements and accolades, we're discussing specifically the 6th hole at Bay Hill which absolutely has turned into a sideshow this week. It's all anyone is talking about meanwhile there's been 3 holes in 1 made this week. I'm guessing without looking them up most people can't name two of the three players who made them. Bryson is doing what he's doing and thats good for him, I'm not faulting him for playing his own game. However my point still stands that there's plenty of other guys out on the course every week playing great golf and making incredible shots. We dont see 15 minute segments dedicated to it on the coverage, there's minimal reason we need to dedicate that airtime to one single shot which ultimately resulted in the same score on the hole as the guy who was 170 yards farther from the hole in the same pairing. 

I agree with the last parts specifically.  Hitting it that far doesn’t impress me.  I don’t know why.  It just doesn’t.  Plenty of long drive guys.  It might impress me if he had eagled the hole 3 out of 4 days  or something . But he only birdies it because he has a good shortgame.  He blows it into the bunker. Whiffs the bunker shot to an impossible lob back toward the water.  Very low percentage play.  Makes a 4 after a great pitch and making a putt.  I have to believe that he can eagle this hole 20 % of the time or so if he lays back to a full 9 iron.  No ?   

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

2 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

I hope the don't change the hole. Bryson and Lee made the same score today. Lee was over 200 and Bryson had less than 100 from a bunker. 

Plant a tree on Arnold’s speed dial ..... for sure.  

21 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I agree with the last parts specifically.  Hitting it that far doesn’t impress me.  I don’t know why.  It just doesn’t.  Plenty of long drive guys.  It might impress me if he had eagles the hole 3 out of 4 dash or something . But he only birdies it because he has a good shortgame.  He blows it into the bunker. Whiffs the bunker shot to an impossible lob back toward the water.  Very low percentage play.  Makes a 4 after a great pitch and making a putt.  I have to believe that he can eagle this hole 20 % of the time or so if he lays back to a full 9 iron.  No ?   

I was more impressed by his putt on 11 which may have been the shot that won him the tournament. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Josh L. said:

I was more impressed by his putt on 11 which may have been the shot that won him the tournament. 

Yep. Me too. It’s that moment whne I knew it was over barring some massive blowup. Which he doesn’t seem to do much. I said so in the spieth thread.  It was over then. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yzmerf said:

A 350 yd forced carry isn’t when you are 1 shot back. Damn, if thats not risk I don’t know what is. 

Hey now, I agree with this. He did take a big bite out of the hole, but he didn’t try to drive the green at all which was the thread’s opening question. 

I also think maybe he needs to find a better way to play the hole, both days this weekend he was handcuffed. Yesterday he had zero chance to hit the green and actually pretty much laid up. Today he only made 4 because he hit an incredible 3rd shot. If he bit off less and had say 150 in does that give him a better angle with a full shot?  I don’t know the hole well enough to say for sure, but that 80 yard shot out of the rough or fairway bunker to the weekend pins was a terrible place to be. He made 4 both days despite those drives, not because of them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

Hey now, I agree with this. He did take a big bite out of the hole, but he didn’t try to drive the green at all which was the thread’s opening question. 

I also think maybe he needs to find a better way to play the hole, both days this weekend he was handcuffed. Yesterday he had zero chance to hit the green and actually pretty much laid up. Today he only made 4 because he hit an incredible 3rd shot. If he bit off less and had say 150 in does that give him a better angle with a full shot?  I don’t know the hole well enough to say for sure, but that 80 yard shot out of the rough or fairway bunker to the weekend pins was a terrible place to be. He made 4 both days despite those drives, not because of them. 

Yes ^.  I like the guy.  I just can’t buy into the absolute  zero sum idea that longer is better.  I think this hole specifically shows that it’s not.  No way that a 100-150 yard shot from the fairway isn’t easier than that 75 yard bunker shot.   

but moreover, how does a thread asking if a guy can can drive a hole , turn into a “ who won “ contest?   As if the two conflate in anyway.  It’s as if they’re saying “ if you don’t like the Twitter hype about him driving a par 5 , you hate the guy “.  No. I can be a fan , and not believe the lie at the same time.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Plant a tree on Arnold’s speed dial ..... for sure.  

We're missing quite a few trees. They've been removed to accommodate suites and stands for the tournament. Some lost to hurricanes over the years and tree disease.

I wouldnt mind them being replaced. You can still see the roots/stumps in the water where many of them were around 3 and 6 on the shoreline.

If you look at old photos of hole 17 you can see the planters/trees, as well as other holes.

• Thanks 1

Epic Speed + ZF 6 / TS2 3W + BF 7 / TSi2 7W + Tour AD MJ 8 / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon JDM Austin +  KBS CT Tour PVD

46 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

We're missing quite a few trees. They've been removed to accommodate suites and stands for the tournament. Some lost to hurricanes over the years and tree disease.

I wouldnt mind them being replaced. You can still see the roots/stumps in the water where many of them were around 3 and 6 on the shoreline.

If you look at old photos of hole 17 you can see the planters/trees, as well as other holes.

Just love the course! Very interesting. One of the few courses on tour that I really would like to play some day.

• Like 2

$$$$

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Agree with the above.  Of all the courses played before Augusta , bay hill is The one that fits my eye the most.  Most likely due to my being from the south and loving Bermuda.  

3 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

1. Bryson was in or near the lead in each day of the tournament

2. If you've ever stood behind the 6th tee @ Bay Hill and realize the balls it takes to even attempt to clear the water @ 350 yards in the actual tournament, worth the price of admission and TV coverage.

3. Chicks dig the long ball

4. This is a cape hole. Actually a double cape hole (drive and approach. Most cape holes only have one shot challenging it). Meaning by design it’s take on as much risk as you want, the rewards are high. By him taking on the shot 2x, on the WEEKEND within a shot or 2 of the lead (To your #1 point)

5. relatively stress free birdies. On Sunday for example if his bunker approach carries 10 more feet his ball is close. Wind + spin + short got him and he was next to Lee. IMO an ‘almost’ bunker shot is less stressful than a 200+ shot to a tucked pin on a cape hole. 

6. should he have aimed more @ the green? Or used a 3W 30 yards right? Nobody knows the best result but he attempted it twice and succeeded twice. No question he could have carried the green directly with driver (but what is long, left, etc?) and same with 3W a hair right 

7. Rory basically hit it in the same spot on Sat, nobody csres

8. if bubba does this, are we even having a conversation about it other than ‘haha look @ bubba, he’s crazy’

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 80sFredriksson said:

He did not go for the green 🧐

Neither did Rors and he made an all world 7 on a shorter line

SIM Max USA Edition First Responders Tensei AV Raw Blue 6TX

Titleist TSI3 15 Tensei AV White 7x

PXG 0341X Gen2 18 (16.5)HZRDUS Smoke
PXG 0317X Gen 2 17 (18.5) Evenflow Handcrafted 6.5

PXG 0317X Gen 2 22 Riptide 6.5

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-P $ Taper 120
Vokey SM8 Blackout 50.08F
Vokey SM8 Blackout 54.10S
Mizuno S-21 58.08 
Scotty Cameron H20 11.5 Prototype
TP5 Yellow

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

If Bryson go for the green

But then again...no

😂

I love Elton john...

especially when he joined gnr at the mtv awards...on Yamaha midi grands if memory serves...whacky awesome pianos 

• Like 1

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

23 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

I love Elton john...

especially when he joined gnr at the mtv awards...on Yamaha midi grands if memory serves...whacky awesome pianos 

Yea! Rocketman was such a good movie. I was surprised the actor that played him didn’t get at least nominated for an academy award. When I found out he did all his own singing I thought he was a shoe in. I’ll go to the DVR every once in a while and fast forward to all the musical numbers and crank it up. 

Edited by TiScape

On 3/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, kasting333 said:

not sure if he’s swinging a 45 or 48 from the front tee

In the video, once he gets to the back tees he says that he's "bringing out the competition driver", and also refers to it as the "real" driver...so he was very likely hitting a standard 45 for the first two tee boxes.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash ♦♦ w/Fujikura Fuel 60 // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 2H w/Diamana Blueboard //

Callaway X Forged 2018 4-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"