How much distance have you lost by going shorter driver length?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been at 44.5” for years.  Gained both distance and accuracy - but most importantly consistency.  Hitting the center of the club face just a smidge above the middle is a million times more impor

Wishon did a study comparing distance and dispersion with 43", 44", and 45" drivers.  Only folks with a hc of 5 or lower hit the longer shaft better.  All other hc's had better distance and dispersion

43.5” here, no distance lost. Much better center-face contact.

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

I have been at 44.5” for years.  Gained both distance and accuracy - but most importantly consistency.  Hitting the center of the club face just a smidge above the middle is a million times more important than an extra 1-1/2 mph clubhead speed.

Yes, and should be easier to fint a good swing path with a shorter shaft as well, which should produce better strikes. Im gonna try 44 this season. Very curious about the result. Have been working on my technique as well so hoping for a positive result.

I was thinking if taking some off mine, but all the talk of swing weight has me thinking maybe not. I think constancy would offset.

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

44 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

For those of you who have gone shorter than 45-45.5. How much distance have you lost, have you gained in accuracy?

I have lost zero distance, and gained SIGNIFICANTLY in dispersion. I went from 46.5” to 45” and I’m not looking back. Even my misses on the head are less punishing. The key is making sure your head weight is correct for the shorter shaft....

• Like 2

43.5” here, no distance lost. Much better center-face contact.

• Like 4

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

For me it's hard to say.  I switched from a 46" Nike to a 44" SIM and gained 8 yards, but that might have just been a situation where the clubhead was holding me back.  That Nike was old, and it wasn't a great fit for my swing, but I loved it.

I topped out with the SIM and swapped to a 45.75 G425 about 3 weeks ago.  Whenever the Pings came out.

At first, it was a loss of yardage.  Not just because I was offline, but it was hard to make the same contact at first.  About 300 swings and a lesson later, I'm making much better contact. My accuracy is roughly equal, but I gained 6 yards of carry, probably from the difference in speed.

But- I was fit for the Ping, and I sort of cobbled the SIM together myself.  I had help, and access to a swingweight scale, but it was far from ideal.

I think if I'd been properly fit for the 44" SIM there wouldn't have been much difference when I switched to the G425.  At least not this quickly.

My advice is to get fit, especially if you're significantly changing up the length of a driver.  You won't have to worry about swingweight, where to trim the shaft, stiffness... any of it.  Then get at least 1 lesson with the new club, and you should be golden

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

How much weight did you add to the head?

Went from 3g weight to a 14g one, and have about 10g of lead tape in the sole slot by the face.

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

7 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

try to pick up another shaft. So if you dont like it you can just sell that shaft and go back to the original.

That's actually what I did. I got a lighter shaft that I am trying stock length against the stock shaft, then I will decide to cut one and try again.

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

10 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

its 1.6 actually with driver. 2 gram is for 4 iron.

Thanks for clarifying.. I went from the standard 45.75 down to 44.75 on my SIM, replaced the 12g weight with a 24 & the thing is absolute $$$ now.. was awesome @ 45.75 and I hit it well just not consistently... @ the shorter length I hit the center more consistently, hitting more fairways and gained 2MPH ball speed which was only about 4 yards but that better dispersion is where it’s at.. 

Edited by Jace_bkr

One the best drivers I ever owned was an R5 shorted to 44 inches.  I didn't lose any distance at all.  As others have said, it was worth it for the consistency.

Some of the previous PING drivers I owned I ordered at a shorter length and desired swingweight.   I wish it was an easier process to do it after the fact.

• Like 1

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

9 minutes ago, ode said:

44.5" is long for me.  43.75-44" is where I like to be.  Yes I weight up the head and play a heavier shaft, that's what feels the best.  On average my drives are going to be longer, as center face contact and directional control are better.  If I do lose any SS it's negligible vs. 44.5".

I have bought a 75 gram shaft to replace the 65 gram shaft that came with the driver. Its a ping G410 though and from what Ive read all Ping G410 plus drivers came with a weight plug under the grip. My new shaft is a fairway wood shaft so not sure if they also had a weight plug under the grip.

1 hour ago, mizunotpz said:

For those of you who have gone shorter than 45-45.5. How much distance have you lost, have you gained in accuracy?

Cut my Rogue down to 44.5" and added two strips of lead tape to middle bottom of clubhead...perhaps it 'should' be a little heavier but feels good. It's money now - 10 more yards distance and much better dispersion. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 9.0 - Aldila Synergy 50 reg

Callaway Epic Flash 5W Evenflow Green 55 at 17* or Rogue 4w Tensai CK 60 reg at 17*

Callaway Epic Flash 4 hybrid 20* - Tensei AV Silver 65 reg

Ping g410 4 hybrid at 22* or TM GAPR Mid 4 21.5* - KBS hybrid 70 reg  

Callaway Rogue Pro 5i-PW - UST Recoil ES 760 f3

Callaway Jaws Chrome 50*W, 54*W, 58*W - Project X 80 graphite

Taylormade Spider mini 34"

2 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

so 2 strips, like 4 inch lead tape all together?

Sorry, should have said....two 1 1/2 inch strips = 3 inches all together.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 9.0 - Aldila Synergy 50 reg

Callaway Epic Flash 5W Evenflow Green 55 at 17* or Rogue 4w Tensai CK 60 reg at 17*

Callaway Epic Flash 4 hybrid 20* - Tensei AV Silver 65 reg

Ping g410 4 hybrid at 22* or TM GAPR Mid 4 21.5* - KBS hybrid 70 reg  

Callaway Rogue Pro 5i-PW - UST Recoil ES 760 f3

Callaway Jaws Chrome 50*W, 54*W, 58*W - Project X 80 graphite

Taylormade Spider mini 34"

I had a 45" 88 gram graphite but have am trying a steel 43.5" shaft. I have a radar and from what I've seen the shorter shaft hasn't lost any clubhead, it has increased. I am only 5'6" maybe that has something to do with it.

Macgregor M38 SK Fiber 85g X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Tour/Pro 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X