How much distance have you lost by going shorter driver length?

mizunotpz

7 minutes ago, Brenkj said:

Thanks NRJyzr - I thought about that, but the best deal I can find on my shaft (even used) is about $250.   That's a lot to spend on a shaft I might never need.

I recommended to my brother in the same situation to buy a shaft and hosel adapter and he bought both at Monark golf. for like $40. It was a steel shaft because in his case he is a beginner golfer and has quite strong arms and hands so I figure steel won't hurt him. He will also trim it to 3 wood steel length 42.5". I recently went shorter and to steel and my clubhead speed has increased. I also lift heavy weights maybe that has something to do with it.

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Is it a viable option to pick up another shaft to try shorter length?  That way you don't do something to the shaft you have, in case it doesn't work out.

Just a thought

This is sort of what I did. I got a better shaft and cut the stock. If I like it, I'll cut the other and hope for the best.

<Edit> eBay used with adapter for $42.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 2/28/2021 at 2:17 AM, Londoner said:

Thanks for this. Any idea on date of the test?

I do not know the date of the test.

• Thanks 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

I went to the range and hit about 30 shots with the shorter driver. Wow, what a difference. I've been fighting a slice forever. Tried all sorts of stuff 

Took an inch off the stock R1 shaft in my M3 head and 25 of those 30 shots were totally in play. I might have given up 10 yards in distance, but from 20-50 yards off center to straight-20 yards off center. And about 5 of them were dead straight. I've never hit a straight drive on purpose before.

So I will give up the 10 yards for now and take a playable drive. I'm not swinging very hard, soI can get the 10 yards back once I feel good about my swing.

• Like 3

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

When you guys are referring to a 44.5" driver does that measurement include the driver head or is it just a measurement of the shaft itself? This has been confusing me because when I think of my stock driver as 45" I'm including the head in the measurement, but when I'm shopping for shafts on eBay I think a lot of the measurements are of the shaft itself

Edited by mmacdon3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mmacdon3 said:

When you guys are referring to a or 44.5" or 43" driver does that measurement include the driver head or is it just a measurement of the shaft itself? This has been confusing me because when I think of my stock driver as 45" I'm including the head in the measurement, but when I'm shopping for shafts on eBay I think a lot of the measurements are of the shaft itself

Myshaft with the head on measured 45.5" from the ground to the top of the shaft. Without the driver head, my old shaft was 45" from the end of the adapter to the end of the grip. Not sure how far in the adapter the shaft goes.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 hour ago, mmacdon3 said:

When you guys are referring to a or 44.5" or 43" driver does that measurement include the driver head or is it just a measurement of the shaft itself? This has been confusing me because when I think of my stock driver as 45" I'm including the head in the measurement, but when I'm shopping for shafts on eBay I think a lot of the measurements are of the shaft itself

The length is installed in the club measure from the ground to the butt end. There is some variation out there as how to measure it but what I do is place the club at the correct angle as if I were going to make a swing and then line up the narrow side of a yardstick so that it next to and to the left of the shaft looking down from the position of address and where it hits the floor while being in line with the shaft is where the measurement starts.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

So, interesting. I took an inch off the stock R1 shaft and the Project X Evenflow I bought was a half inch longer than that. So I basically took a 1.5" off of that to make it the length the R1 was after I cut it. So now I am really interested to see how good)bad/indifferent it is.

The evenflow shaft is 50g vs 55g. I need to weight it now.

<edit> 320g and 32 balance point C4 swing weight.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

For those seriously considering this journey, understand that there is no guarantee that shorter is better and shortest is best.

You've got two competing interests.  First, find the center most often and when you miss center miss it by a little vice a lot.  Second, find a shaft length that allows you to deliver maximum clubhead speed.  Pure physics, considered in a vacuum, suggests that longer is better - but, in the real world you have to balance your actual ability to manage the length and your tempo, club balance, delivery (flat, normal, upright), etc.

I used an old Ping G20 and two $45 Aldila NV shafts for my journey of discovery.  I found that I really couldn't swing anything longer than 45" any faster than a longer shaft (this was before very light counterbalanced shafts were all the rage...).  I also found that my contact quality did not improve appreciably any shorter than 44.5 or 44.25 inches.  Hence, the 'sweetspot' for me is 44.25 to 44.5 inches:  good contact, near top speed, able to manage SW adjustment easily.

• Like 4

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

On 3/2/2021 at 2:02 AM, Brenkj said:

Thanks a lot.  If it’s reversible by just epoxying an extension back on, I’m gonna start experimenting tomorrow.  

DONT CUT ANYTHING. its not needed to find where to go, just follow this DIY driver tune up, its got more than 125.000 readers so far....it works, and anyone can make it right from the start if you just read this first.

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

So doing some simple tests and math, I can get a 70ish gram shaft and that puts me at D3. I'm going to try it at C4 and see what's up. I found a shaft with adapter for $50, so if I need to, that's an option on the cheap.

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Been using 44.5 for like 3 years or so. Decided to try 44.75 and hated it. Now I've gone to 44 and it feels so easy to square up the face. I did attempt to add weight back to the head with those little 2 gram square sticker weights. I got about 4 swings before they all flew off haha, but definitely felt better with more head weight. I has to order a roll of lead tape because I can't find any here on island. Once I get the head weight right this could be a game changer for me off the tee 😎

• Like 1

I play my drivers an inch shorter than standard and more than likely will never change.  I have not lost any distance and the dispersion is much better.  Making contact in the center of the face is easier and all in all it just feels better.

• Like 1

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

Cleveland CG12 50, 54 Callaway MD3 60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Well, I'm a gamblin' man, so over the weekend I went ahead and cut a half-inch off my driver shaft (Accra TZ6), from 45 to 44.5.   I've hit it twice on the range so far, and I'm amazed at how big a difference just a half inch makes.   It's not all good yet - I've actually popped up several drives like a lob wedge for some weird reason - but for the most part I do feel like I have better control over where the ball is going.   I'm getting some head weights today, so hopefully I'll be able to dial in the swing weight and start hitting 325-yard fairway-finding bombs by this weekend.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brenkj said:

and I'm amazed at how big a difference just a half inch makes

As I've played with driver length myself, I've been amazed at how much difference even a quarter inch can make.  A couple of times, a quarter-inch cut turned a no-bueno into a muy-bueno.

Golf is goofy.  We humans are goofy.  Add them together and....  yeah.  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So I noticed my driver feels very different than my 3w, so I  will weigh that today. But overall on the course I hit some very playable drives. My grip might need some tweaks, but the length seems to help. The light weight might be an issue. It's only a couple bucks for a weight kit.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

32 minutes ago, lefthack said:

So I noticed my driver feels very different than my 3w, so I  will weigh that today. But overall on the course I hit some very playable drives. My grip might need some tweaks, but the length seems to help. The light weight might be an issue. It's only a couple bucks for a weight kit.

Cutting the shaft down will change the swing weight of the club. There is a thread on here somewhere that breaks it down but I can tell you that the club will feel better once you get the weight correct!

• Like 1

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

38 minutes ago, hondarob said:

Cutting the shaft down will change the swing weight of the club. There is a thread on here somewhere that breaks it down but I can tell you that the club will feel better once you get the weight correct!

Yeah, went from D3 to C4. I'm just torn between getting a heavier shaft, or adding head weight. The head weight is cheaper for sure and easier to revert vs a third shaft.

<edit> just ordered a pair of 9.5g weights, 1 should put me at D1 and go from there.

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

16 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Yeah, went from D3 to C4. I'm just torn between getting a heavier shaft, or adding head weight. The head weight is cheaper for sure and easier to revert vs a third shaft.

<edit> just ordered a pair of 9.5g weights, 1 should put me at D1 and go from there.

My 913D3 plays at D1 with the shaft cut down .75”. It feels ok but I think it’s to light for my liking! I use led tape to change weight as I don’t really want to buy a weight kit! 

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

22 minutes ago, hondarob said:

My 913D3 plays at D1 with the shaft cut down .75”. It feels ok but I think it’s to light for my liking! I use led tape to change weight as I don’t really want to buy a weight kit! 

The M3 has the weight sliders on the bottom and I am wedging another one in there, maybe 2. It was $15.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Over the years, I've tested driver lengths out to 46".  Played 45" for a long time before finally testing shorter lengths, in 1/2" increments down the 43" playing length.  Lots of control at 43" but lost about 10yrs or so.  What I realized of all lengths tested, max distance and minimal dispersion was with 44.75" playing length, been playing that length ever since. 

So, in answer to @mizunotpz the question, I've gained distance, and seldom miss the fairway.  I owe that NOT to playing length, but Ventus Velocore Red "S" shaft.

UPDATE: Curiosity comparison got me to bring out my previous driver shaft

Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec = 44.50" playing length, 65g, 95 tip, 78 butt, 3.1 tq.

Ventus Velocore Red 5 series = 44.75", playing length, 59g, 103 tip, 87 butt, 3.5 tq.

Every drive Fuel TS has been longer than with Ventus Red 5 at 44.75".  Other than .5" shorter and heavier, what has changed???  A second honeymoon, maybe>>> LOL
Edited by Pepperturbo
Equipment update
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

So my 3w is E0. Granted I have never weighted or measured swing weight before, so this is all new to me. The 3w is 35ish grams heavier with almond the exact same balance point. It's bone stock as far as I know.

So I will stick one weight in to start but anticipate using both. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Another driving range session today and the strangest thing happened.   Because I had cut down the driver shaft a half inch, I assumed I needed to add more weight to the head to compensate, so I added 2 grams by using an after-market head weight.   After a number of pretty mediocre drives, just for grins I switched to a weight that is 2 grams lighter than the weight I had been using PRIOR to cutting the shaft.    All of a sudden, swings started to feel smooth, and the ball started flying straighter and longer.   I guess I'm just a weirdo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 11:25 AM, hoffa72002 said:

I first went to 44.5 and then popped a fairway shaft in my Callaway Epic that played at 43.5.  Honestly no noticeable distance loss at 43.5, although I did have to add a fair amount of weight as many mentioned.  Even the change in flex didn’t make the combo unplayable.  For me, eventually I have settled on 44.25 inches.  This gives me the best chance at a center strike.  The only way I’d go back to a 45.75 inch driver is if I wanted a bunch of contact on the heel, and honestly I don’t!  I know many are concerned about swing weight, but keep in mind most fitters will tell you length is the number one fitting parameter.  Total weight would be second, and swing weight effect varies a lot from player to player.

I thought the Cally adapters for the driver and fairways were different, no ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I've played a 44.5 inch driver for the past 15 years.  I love that Cobra has a tour length driver at 44.5 inches, with changed out weights.  The 2 gram weight was changed out to a 18 gram weight, so 16 grams added to a 44.5 inch driver.  I am lefty, so I don't get to try out other peoples drivers, so I have no idea what it is like to play a longer driver.  I have a TSi3 coming this week that was ordered at 44.5 inches and a swingweight of D2.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Cut my 45 inch down to 44 this morning. Waited for the grip to dry before taking it to a Toptracer range. I'm happy to report that my ball speed is the same as my 45 inch. It was super windy today so I wasn't able to judge dispersion (it was a heavy head and cross wind, probably 30 mph). Ball speed was lower at first, but then I added 10g to the head and it came back up. Can't wait to take it to the course!

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, mmacdon3 said:

When you guys are referring to a 44.5" driver does that measurement include the driver head or is it just a measurement of the shaft itself? This has been confusing me because when I think of my stock driver as 45" I'm including the head in the measurement, but when I'm shopping for shafts on eBay I think a lot of the measurements are of the shaft itself

Refers to total club length, not just the shaft.

Here is how it is 'supposed' to be measured:

image.png.4938fec2e587d53611e97548c42edabb.png

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag