Dynamic gold r500 shafts ?????

Picked up a set of ping eye 2 becu’s for my dad. I didn’t even ask what shafts were in them since I was pulling them anyway to install some graphite shafts. 

The sticker says dynamic gold r500 

I’ve never seen or heard of these shafts and there website doesn’t have them listed. 

Anyone know anything about these?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An R500 is just a DG 'R' flex that is a couple grams heavier than the 128g standard weight of the R300.  The step pattern and bend profile is the same, but with the addition of the small amount of ext

From the old Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Addendum.  Frequency is a stiffness reference.  From this you can see that the R flex DG shafts are about 10 points softer than S.         

The R500 is an S300 with a slightly more flexible tip. When TT created the Gold series the S and R flexes we’re more broken down because they are weight sorted. R300=S100 R400=S200 R500

Posted Images

The R500 is an S300 with a slightly more flexible tip. When TT created the Gold series the S and R flexes we’re more broken down because they are weight sorted.

R300=S100

R400=S200

R500=S300

S300=X100

S400=X200

With better manufacturing they have cut those down.

• Thanks 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

8 minutes ago, deepred said:

The R500 is an S300 with a slightly more flexible tip. When TT created the Gold series the S and R flexes we’re more broken down because they are weight sorted.

R300=S100

R400=S200

R500=S300

S300=X100

S400=X200

Appreciate the info

👍

• Like 1

I occasionally see R500 shafts in older sets, and R400 is very common here in older iron sets dating back to the Eighties and Nineties. Compared to the S-flex, the R-step has one less step near the tip, so as deepred said, it's a softer tip. A better way to describe it would be that there's more distance from the tip to the first step.

R500 will just be slightly a heavier version of an R-300 shaft. I'm not sure of actual specs, but I think deepred's right about the weight being equivalent to an s300.

I've played some irons with R400 shafts, and I wasn't that taken with them, but they were playable. They're heavy but a little soft, which seems an odd combination to me. In particular, I found the timing hard to get right in the long irons.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, deepred said:

R300=S100

R400=S200

R500=S300

S300=X100

S400=X200

Are you sure about the accuracy of this? I'm not super familiar with how Dynamic Gold's were back in the day, but the R300/S300/X100 were all intended to be 130g shafts with the higher/lower numbers indicating shafts that weight sorted above or below the 130g target. Therefore, an R400 would be a heavier (~132g) version, and the S200 would be lighter (~127g), and the S100 lighter still. That and the fact that the overall design and bend profile is different from R to S to X and I question the equivalency here, unless this was meant to express something else. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

An R500 is just a DG 'R' flex that is a couple grams heavier than the 128g standard weight of the R300.  The step pattern and bend profile is the same, but with the addition of the small amount of extra weight through manufacturing tolerances, the overall flex will sometimes measure a couple cycles more.  This does not make it anywhere close to the bend profile of the DG 'S' flex in S200 or S300.  

The whole "R' shaft is different, with a .580" butt, a different step pattern, along with the longer tip.  Resulting in the entire profile being softer in flex.

It's the same story for example, with the X100 and X300.  The X300 weighs 134-135g compared to the 130-131g weight of the X100.  This makes the flex of the X300 a couple cycles stiffer.  A very small difference 

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From the old Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Addendum.  Frequency is a stiffness reference.  From this you can see that the R flex DG shafts are about 10 points softer than S. 

TT DG Shafts.PNG

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I remember the charts from the early 80’s in the GolfWorks and Golfsmith catalogs pretty clearly. Gold shafts were sorted and labeled by weight.

Frequency was not a TT thing, Ram and maybe one other company started that later. One of the selling points of the original Rifle shafts was the superiority of frequency over weight sorting. 

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

9 hours ago, deepred said:

I remember the charts from the early 80’s in the GolfWorks and Golfsmith catalogs pretty clearly. Gold shafts were sorted and labeled by weight.

Frequency was not a TT thing, Ram and maybe one other company started that later. One of the selling points of the original Rifle shafts was the superiority of frequency over weight sorting. 

I think Royal Precision created the vibration frequency methodology to rate shafts.  They invented their own methodology on how to hold the shaft and what mass of tip weight.  The Precision FCM shafts were Dynamic Gold competitors and as you say, Ram, was one of the high profile adopters.  Rifle shafts came out later.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"