We are beginning planning for Northern Ireland 2022 (Probably September).  We will have 8-12 golfers and we are planning just 1 round per day.  Planning a few nights in Ballyliffin and then staying in Portrush and finishing up a night closer to Dublin.  Thoughts on our itinerary including other must play courses or substitutions.   Any insight on the towns of Ballyliffin and Portrush.  

Day 1: Arrive Dublin drive to Ballyliffin Play Pollan 9 holes

Day 2: Ballyliffin Old

Day 3: Ballyliffin Galshedy

Day 4: Drive to Portrush play Portstewart

Day 5: Portrush

Day 6: Castlerock or Portrush Valley  (Maybe an off day)

Day 7: Royal County Down then drive towards Dublin

Day 8: Portmarnock or The Island

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are beginning planning for Northern Ireland 2022 (Probably September).  We will have 8-12 golfers and we are planning just 1 round per day.  Planning a few nights in Ballyliffin and then staying in

imo - Ardglass is a better option over Valley course or Castlerock - so the drop is not that difficult a choice.  A better course and better views.    Island is the better option when headin

I would play Baltray (Co Louth) over Corballis for sure - based on your drive up to Ballyliffin, you are going up towards Drougheda as it is.   You will enjoy it more. It is not going to be too tough

21 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

imo - Ardglass is a better option over Valley course or Castlerock - so the drop is not that difficult a choice.  A better course and better views. 

Island is the better option when heading to Dublin.

We are taking your advice for our trip in October (fingers crossed) and playing The Island instead of Portmarnock. Where would you recommend near the Airport to play after we get off the plane? Something not to tough and pretty friendly. I looked at Corballis but would like any other other suggestions you may have. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

10 hours ago, El Gringo said:

That is saying something. Ardglass better than Portrush Valley? 

Yes...that is the Valley; not Dunluce.  

I love the views at Ardglass and really enjoy the course.   I have played both many times; but if I had to choose btw. the 2, I would play Ardglass 7 to 8 out of 10 times.  May just be me, but I love the whole southeast area of N. Ire.  I love the waters of the coast, the Mourne mtns, town of Newcastle, smoked salmon chowder, the beers and of course Country Down.

I am by no means saying that Valley and Musseden are not good courses because they are.  Just my preference.  No one is going to go wrong is the nice thing.

Edited by puttnforthe8
3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

We are taking your advice for our trip in October (fingers crossed) and playing The Island instead of Portmarnock. Where would you recommend near the Airport to play after we get off the plane? Something not to tough and pretty friendly. I looked at Corballis but would like any other other suggestions you may have. 

I would play Baltray (Co Louth) over Corballis for sure - based on your drive up to Ballyliffin, you are going up towards Drougheda as it is.   You will enjoy it more. It is not going to be too tough - and you could play up a box.  It's just a much better course and I feel you will be happier.  If you were doing a 36 day, for example, I would have said add Corballis....but not if it is your only round that day.  If your making the trip, might as well play as good as possible a course.  Enjoy.!!

When you are in Newcastle to play Country Down - head down the main street to Great Jones Craft and Kitchen....smoked salmon chowder is the best (hopefully they have it the day you are there).  Good beers and good food.  Plus the folks are great.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I would play Baltray (Co Louth) over Corballis for sure - based on your drive up to Ballyliffin, you are going up towards Drougheda as it is.   You will enjoy it more. It is not going to be too tough - and you could play up a box.  It's just a much better course and I feel you will be happier.  If you were doing a 36 day, for example, I would have said add Corballis....but not if it is your only round that day.  If your making the trip, might as well play as good as possible a course.  Enjoy.!!

When you are in Newcastle to play Country Down - head down the main street to Great Jones Craft and Kitchen....smoked salmon chowder is the best (hopefully they have it the day you are there).  Good beers and good food.  Plus the folks are great.

Good insight.  One thing I will mention is that 36 holes in a day are not an option.  We have 7-8 days of golf and all will be 60 years old by the time of the trip. 

Considering the all night flight and drive to Ballyliffin, Corballis may be the better option if it is a weekday. It is a very short course and quick to play. It's enough to stretch the legs and get back on the road. That said, if you don't care for funky, whimsical design, give Corballis a miss. I tend to gravitate toward the unusual and Corballis is certainly that. 

I like The Island more than Baltray and think it is the better course (haven't seen the very recent changes), but it is very difficult. Baltray is easier and does have a charm about it that The Island lacks. It might be the better way to end a trip. Plus it has dormy rooms. 

It's hard to go wrong with any of the courses you are considering. 

6 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Considering the all night flight and drive to Ballyliffin, Corballis may be the better option if it is a weekday. It is a very short course and quick to play. It's enough to stretch the legs and get back on the road. That said, if you don't care for funky, whimsical design, give Corballis a miss. I tend to gravitate toward the unusual and Corballis is certainly that. 

I like The Island more than Baltray and think it is the better course (haven't seen the very recent changes), but it is very difficult. Baltray is easier and does have a charm about it that The Island lacks. It might be the better way to end a trip. Plus it has dormy rooms. 

It's hard to go wrong with any of the courses you are considering. 

My group isn't driving up the coast. We are staying in Dublin for a few days, then driving over to pick up the rest of our guys in Shannon and playing Doonbeg, Lahinch, Ballybunion, and Tralee. We just want somewhere to play after we land (preferrably links) that won't beat us up after the overnight flight. I looked at playing The Island twice, or maybe Royal Dublin first, then Island.  

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

9 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

My group isn't driving up the coast. We are staying in Dublin for a few days, then driving over to pick up the rest of our guys in Shannon and playing Doonbeg, Lahinch, Ballybunion, and Tralee. We just want somewhere to play after we land (preferrably links) that won't beat us up after the overnight flight. I looked at playing The Island twice, or maybe Royal Dublin first, then Island.  

If you are hangin about Dublin The Island is a good choice. So is Portmarnock. Portmarnock Links is good as well. I prefer Corballis to these because it's cheap, has a ton of character and is quick to play. But if you don't like funky golf stay away from Corballis. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...