2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wonderful Non Golfing Day At Pebble & Spanish Bay

1 hour ago, gfranktw7 said:

You got a pulse on the caddie sitch? I know you're out that way a bunch. We have July that's been postponed twice lol

From what I saw today both SB and Pebble are still using forecaddie service only and I found this on the website.

Caddies & Golf Carts

Golfers may: (a) walk and carry their own clubs, (b) take a golf cart with a limit of one person per cart (except household members), or (c) bring their own push cart. In addition, a limited number of push carts are available to rent, based on availability. Traditional forecaddie service (advice only; no bag carrying, club handling, or cart driving) is also available at our Resort courses. Golfers will be asked their intentions at time of booking.

All golf carts will be sanitized both before and after use.

9 hours ago, TIM929 said:

Roy's is a great time! 

I was just there today and it was so awesome!! my wife loved it so much she wants to go back in 2 months lol (better for me)!! 

here’s the angle coming in on 18 today- the best weather ever.

8EF44041-CFCA-4213-8581-657B729757B4.jpeg.e0743e38a747b9a4aa7737379780b1f4.jpeg

I hope that you and your wife had a great time this weekend! We like Roy's Hawaiian fusion food and I can't ever remember getting anything that we didn't like. If you go again try the Tiger shrimp and beef spring roll it's really good and one time they gave us the recipe for the sauce. We do like most the the restaurants at both resorts although there's a lot of really good restaurants in Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Carmel Valley.

How did you do playing Spy and Pebble? Don't forget to give us a thorough review about your trip sometime soon.

That's a really nice picture coming up 18 and don't forget the old saying since your wife wants to come back in 2 months "happy wife, happy life"

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 2

Fortunate enough to have been twice. In 2010, just a couple of weeks after the US Open. We stayed at the Lodge where we could walk out the door and look down on the first tee. Played Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay. Then again in October 2017. Stayed at Spanish Bay this time and played Pebble, Carmel Valley Ranch, and Pasatiempo. Had fantastic weather both times. Temps in the 60's and 70's and plenty of sunshine with only moderate winds. I like to tell people that the 2nd time at Pebble, that the winds would occasionally gust all the way to 6-7 mph 🙂

Did the bagpiper thing at Spanish Bay both times sitting around the fire pits, ate at the restaurants there, sat out by 18th green at Pebble, breakfast at The Gallery both times prior to round at Pebble, Tap Room both times, Stave Wine Cellar, Casanova's in Carmel, and drove down to Big Sur on the 2nd trip. 

Both trips were with 2 other couples who we are very close friends with and we're really wanting to get back out there. Talked about 2022 in hopes that the covid mess is pretty much over. Or 2023 at the latest since I'm fixing to be 70 in just 13 days and not getting any younger. 

Good stuff and good memories. Always love reading posts about Pebble especially when I see something that @aloha b. has posted. Thanks.

Edited by North Texas
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, aloha b. said:

From what I saw today both SB and Pebble are still using forecaddie service only and I found this on the website.

Caddies & Golf Carts

Golfers may: (a) walk and carry their own clubs, (b) take a golf cart with a limit of one person per cart (except household members), or (c) bring their own push cart. In addition, a limited number of push carts are available to rent, based on availability. Traditional forecaddie service (advice only; no bag carrying, club handling, or cart driving) is also available at our Resort courses. Golfers will be asked their intentions at time of booking.

All golf carts will be sanitized both before and after use.

Yeah but I meant the pulse of the summer. I would have to think it changes in some fashion, no?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfranktw7 said:

Yeah but I meant the pulse of the summer. I would have to think it changes in some fashion, no?

Sorry about that so I just called someone that I know in the pro shop and he said that they're hoping to be back to having caddies by the summer but he couldn't guarantee it depending on how we're doing with the COVID situation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, North Texas said:

Fortunate enough to have been twice. In 2010, just a couple of weeks after the US Open. We stayed at the Lodge where we could walk out the door and look down on the first tee. Played Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay. Then again in October 2017. Stayed at Spanish Bay this time and played Pebble, Carmel Valley Ranch, and Pasatiempo. Had fantastic weather both times. Temps in the 60's and 70's and plenty of sunshine with only moderate winds. I like to tell people that the 2nd time at Pebble, that the winds would occasionally gust all the way to 6-7 mph 🙂

Did the bagpiper thing at Spanish Bay both times sitting around the fire pits, ate at the restaurants there, sat out by 18th green at Pebble, breakfast at The Gallery both times prior to round at Pebble, Tap Room both times, Stave Wine Cellar, Casanova's in Carmel, and drove down to Big Sur on the 2nd trip. 

Both trips were with 2 other couples who we are very close friends with and we're really wanting to get back out there. Talked about 2022 in hopes that the covid mess in pretty much over. Or 2023 at the latest since I'm fixing to be 70 in just 13 days and not getting any younger. 

Good stuff and good memories. Always love reading posts about Pebble especially when I see something that @aloha b. has posted. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words and you're still a youngster as I'm a year behind you. I hope that you have a great 70th birthday!

It's great that you had really nice weather on your two trips to Pebble especially with your friends,

It is nice to walk out the door and look at the first tee and It must have been nice to play Pebble after the 2010. US Open.

60's & 70's plus sunny with little wind can't be beat. I've always lucked out when I've played any of the Pebble courses is that it's never been really windy only had the marine layer roll in at Spy once.

Did you like Carmel Valley Ranch and Pasa? Casanova's is very good and in Carmel there's a restaurant called Vesuvio and they have the only roof top bar in Carmel. The restaurant is owned by the same owner of Peppoli's at Spanish Bay.

My wife and I enjoy Stave but unfortunately it's closed due to COVID although club members can pick up wine at times.

If you like chocolate sundaes and you're at the Tap Room you should try one. It comes in a martini glass that's so big that my hand doesn't cover the diameter of the glass. I will post a pic later.

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

Thanks for the kind words and you're still a youngster as I'm a year behind you. I hope that you have a great 70th birthday!

It's great that you had really nice weather on your two trips to Pebble especially with your friends,

It is nice to walk out the door and look at the first tee and It must have been nice to play Pebble after the 2010. US Open.

60's & 70's plus sunny with little wind can't be beat. I've always lucked out when I've played any of the Pebble courses is that it's never been really windy only had the marine layer roll in at Spy once.

Did you like Carmel Valley Ranch and Pasa? Casanova's is very good and in Carmel there's a restaurant called Vesuvio and they have the only roof top bar in Carmel. The restaurant is owned by the same owner of Peppoli's at Spanish Bay.

My wife and I enjoy Stave but unfortunately it's closed due to COVID although club members can pick up wine at times.

If you like chocolate sundaes and you're at the Tap Room you should try one. It comes in a martini glass that's so big that my hand doesn't cover the diameter of the glass. I will post a pic later.

Carmel Valley Ranch is probably the most fun Pete Dye course I've ever played. Really short with water on the front nine and dramatic elevation changes on the back nine including one hole that drop 150 feet from tee to fairway. Pasatiempo is Pasatiempo. I appreciated it for the architectural history that it's known for more than the rest of our group. It's probably one of my top 3 favorite courses that I've played and maybe top 2. Pebble being #1 of course. 

Stave is where we celebrated the wife's retirement back in 2017 and first tasted Kosta Browne. You may not remember, but you and I conversed a little bit about Kosta Browne early last summer a bit on PM. 

I'll have to try and remember Vesuvio on our next trip. And, yes, we made that we had the chocolate sundaes at the Tap Room on both trips. 

Edited by North Texas

22 hours ago, aloha b. said:

I hope that you and your wife had a great time this weekend! We like Roy's Hawaiian fusion food and I can't ever remember getting anything that we didn't like. If you go again try the Tiger shrimp and beef spring roll it's really good and one time they gave us the recipe for the sauce. We do like most the the restaurants at both resorts although there's a lot of really good restaurants in Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Carmel Valley.

How did you do playing Spy and Pebble? Don't forget to give us a thorough review about your trip sometime soon.

That's a really nice picture coming up 18 and don't forget the old saying since your wife wants to come back in 2 months "happy wife, happy life"

Yes, we had a blast ☺️PB is another level and we can’t wait to get back. I have to admit the trip was way too short. we did visit Carmel and a pier with a lot of restaurants and food vendors, but didn’t really experience everywhere else and felt really rushed. 

The courses are AMAZING 😍 score wise I probably shot the worst I did in a long time, but I had the most fun ever playing golf- it’s just amazing to play out there. I will definitely leave a review ASAP. Yes, after seeing a lot of older couples there celebrating a special occasion or just enjoying time together, it really humbled me to be a better more kind husband. Everyone there was so friendly and kind 🙏🏼

• Like 2

17 hours ago, aloha b. said:

Sorry about that so I just called someone that I know in the pro shop and he said that they're hoping to be back to having caddies by the summer but he couldn't guarantee it depending on how we're doing with the COVID situation.

Dang bud that's pro of you. Thanks for calling you didn't have to do that. Good to know. Also on a side note, I'll hit you up next time I'm out west. My in laws live in Sunnyvale

• Like 2

15 hours ago, aloha b. said:

I also enjoy Carmel Valley Ranch for the reasons that you stated.

That's right we did talk about Kosta Browne and were you able to have any shipped to Texas? I think that you mentioned that you were a club member.

Also did you find any Pisoni wines?

My local Total Wine has actually started carrying Kosta Browne and I've also been able to find it in a few boutique wine stores in the Dallas area. Pisoni is much harder. I've looked far and wide for it and have found exactly 3 bottles in something like 9 months of searching for it. Two 2011's and one 2017. And I actually had to have a buddy pick up the 2011's when he made a trip to Ilinois to visit to some friends and bring it back to Texas for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfranktw7 said:

Dang bud that's pro of you. Thanks for calling you didn't have to do that. Good to know. Also on a side note, I'll hit you up next time I'm out west. My in laws live in Sunnyvale

No problem, happy to do it! You can hit me up the next time you visit your in-laws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Texas said:

My local Total Wine has actually started carrying Kosta Browne and I've also been able to find it in a few boutique wine stores in the Dallas area. Pisoni is much harder. I've looked far and wide for it and have found exactly 3 bottles in something like 9 months of searching for it. Two 2011's and one 2017. And I actually had to have a buddy pick up the 2011's when he made a trip to Ilinois to visit to some friends and bring it back to Texas for me. 

Good to hear that your Total Wine now carries Kosta Browne. Have you thought about joining the Pisoni wine club?

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:18 PM, TIM929 said:

Roy's is a great time! 

I was just there today and it was so awesome!! my wife loved it so much she wants to go back in 2 months lol (better for me)!! 

here’s the angle coming in on 18 today- the best weather ever.

8EF44041-CFCA-4213-8581-657B729757B4.jpeg.e0743e38a747b9a4aa7737379780b1f4.jpeg

Any tips or advice?  We are heading out there this Thursday and playing PB (twice), Spanish and Poppy.  It’s a bummer that there aren’t caddies.  Did you have a forecaddy?  

1 hour ago, avidgolfer23 said:

Any tips or advice?  We are heading out there this Thursday and playing PB (twice), Spanish and Poppy.  It’s a bummer that there aren’t caddies.  Did you have a forecaddy?  

Yes 🙂 have a new glove and balls ready... It’s $25 plus tax a sleeve(100 a box) there and they only carry TM gloves with a pebble ball marker which looks cool but the Velcro flaps open after every shot during play. 

def invest in a fore caddy the first round unless your text book study and have a gps print out of each hole. There’s way to many blind shots, force carry’s, and invisible bunkers to shoot your best the first time on. I caught my drive to the end of the fairway and was so happy till I walked up and didn’t know where to send the approach. 

from tee

273AB656-B35F-4B04-8A1B-133BC34111D1.jpeg.b421c239f603be15b4e27e33313c467d.jpeg

my approach 

530339DD-5386-4F78-8151-59C32B5269A4.jpeg.c1363860f84680ce6baa9a7e77e0c94b.jpeg

GPS watch bronze while laser is gold- just too much going on to not have a laser. 

wedge bounce- I use high bounce wedges.. I really wished I had a mid/low bounce 60*.. greens are sooo fast and lies are soooo tight. You need high bounce out there too so being prepared for a variety of shots and turf is a must. 

Range is a short shuttle ride away so the driver near the entrance is the guy to ask for the range. Make sure you check it out 🙂 and don’t skip if you don’t see it around. 
27773047-EE3E-4812-85CD-3EB2BF02B04B.jpeg.55a7eace1c951e3ae33e91f4f52bf7be.jpegF34B52C8-0F68-4DF6-9BB1-F87B168CFA9E.jpeg.56777b28f7ebc1ffdcef8a18a8fd7ac1.jpeg

when at the pro shop to pay for your round make sure to use the bathroom.. this is waiting for you on the way:

F11055EE-47BB-4CDA-BE1F-657EEA385DCA.jpeg.04270b583cf98e0803e5bd84e0e60158.jpeg

the starter asked if it was my first time and gave me a free ball marker and said have fun 🤩 what a way to start a round right? 
DF721271-02CE-4FFF-AC27-EF6DB0052F03.jpeg.f044dbb82723287d39c74b0c735c3ff7.jpeg

- most important- make sure to walk with a pull cart and don’t even think about a cart. It’s cart path only and it’s the worst. 

take shorts 🙂 

last is be ready to have the most fun golf trip ever... I don’t know how every blade of grass is so rich and the same exact color/ size, how to weather was so perfect, and the people there are just top class. You’re in for a treat. it’ll hook you ☺️

empty your phone to take a lot of pics.

Pictures do no justice but here are a few more. 
64C381E7-68DA-45D9-A02D-BA36039BD39A.jpeg.aa2242f0585671e629204d36fe53960b.jpeg884C8645-CF33-406B-B2E1-8963BBB0E2F7.jpeg.f2f71fdd9de57e2150b9c66fd38df714.jpegD5012F7C-EDEF-4FC7-97E7-984DE88B5CF1.jpeg.9ea4b913d5e734bb687363d69ff6481e.jpeg4507A9C4-6525-42CC-8798-CF12DFE7C546.jpeg.f86c8e7757e08c60aacdfafe01f235f8.jpeg

I apologize for typos and bad punctuation.. in a rush while writing this. 

Edited by TIM929
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, TIM929 said:

Yes 🙂 have a new glove and balls ready... It’s $25 plus tax a sleeve(100 a box) there and they only carry TM gloves with a pebble ball marker which looks cool but the Velcro flaps open after every shot during play. 

def invest in a fore caddy the first round unless your text book study and have a gps print out of each hole. There’s way to many blind shots, force carry’s, and invisible bunkers to shoot your best the first time on. I caught my drive to the end of the fairway and was so happy till I walked up and didn’t know where to send the approach. 

from tee

my approach 

GPS watch bronze while laser is gold- just too much going on to not have a laser. 

wedge bounce- I use high bounce wedges.. I really wished I had a mid/low bounce 60*.. greens are sooo fast and lies are soooo tight. You need high bounce out there too so being prepared for a variety of shots and turf is a must. 

Range is a short shuttle ride away so the driver near the entrance is the guy to ask for the range. Make sure you check it out 🙂 and don’t skip if you don’t see it around. 
27773047-EE3E-4812-85CD-3EB2BF02B04B.jpeg.55a7eace1c951e3ae33e91f4f52bf7be.jpegF34B52C8-0F68-4DF6-9BB1-F87B168CFA9E.jpeg.56777b28f7ebc1ffdcef8a18a8fd7ac1.jpeg

when at the pro shop to pay for your round make sure to use the bathroom.. this is waiting for you on the way:

the starter asked if it was my first time and gave me a free ball marker and said have fun 🤩 what a way to start a round right? 

- most important- make sure to walk with a pull cart and don’t even think about a cart. It’s cart path only and it’s the worst. 

take shorts 🙂 

last is be ready to have the most fun golf trip ever... I don’t know how every blade of grass is so rich and the same exact color/ size, how to weather was so perfect, and the people there are just top class. You’re in for a treat. it’ll hook you ☺️

64C381E7-68DA-45D9-A02D-BA36039BD39A.jpeg.aa2242f0585671e629204d36fe53960b.jpeg884C8645-CF33-406B-B2E1-8963BBB0E2F7.jpeg.f2f71fdd9de57e2150b9c66fd38df714.jpegD5012F7C-EDEF-4FC7-97E7-984DE88B5CF1.jpeg.9ea4b913d5e734bb687363d69ff6481e.jpeg4507A9C4-6525-42CC-8798-CF12DFE7C546.jpeg.f86c8e7757e08c60aacdfafe01f235f8.jpeg

Thanks so much.  Did the course just go through aeration recently?  I just saw the tee box photo and it looks like it’s healing from being aerated.  

1 hour ago, TIM929 said:

from tee

my approach 

take shorts 🙂 

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Did you stay at the Lodge or Spanish Bay and what did you think? Also that looks like a nice Vokey bag that you have.

Edited by aloha b.

Here's a picture of The Tap Room Sundae, you can see that it's really big from the size of the Martini glass and comes with double vanilla bean ice cream, warm buttered bananas, honey almonds, cookie bits and sticky hot fudge. I forgot to pour the sticky hot fudge before taking the picture.

Also if it's too much for you then you can get a 1/2 an order which isn't on the menu but it doesn't come in a martini glass.

20180623_141029.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

Here's a picture of The Tap Room Sundae, you can see that it's really big from the size of the Martini glass and comes with double vanilla bean ice cream, warm buttered bananas, honey almonds, cookie bits and sticky hot fudge. I forgot to pour the sticky hot fudge before taking the picture.

Also if it's too much for you then you can get a 1/2 an order which isn't on the menu but it doesn't come in a martini glass.

20180623_141029.jpg

Damn, that looks good! And I know that forgetting to pour the hot sticky fudge on the sundae before taking the picture cannot be attributed to a "rookie mistake" 🙂 

1 hour ago, North Texas said:

Damn, that looks good! And I know that forgetting to pour the hot sticky fudge on the sundae before taking the picture cannot be attributed to a "rookie mistake" 🙂 

I guess you know that I've had one or two of these over the years. 😀 Here's a pic with the hot sticky fudge on it. I took my 16 year old nephew to eat at Roy's as he's never been there and then we went to The Tap Room just for the sundae. Well for a skinny kid he can really eat and we almost ate the entire sundae by ourselves.

Customers really stare when they see the server bring out the sundae.

20190922_124138.jpg

8 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

I guess you know that I've had one or two of these over the years. 😀 Here's a pic with the hot sticky fudge on it. I took my 16 year old nephew to eat at Roy's as he's never been there and then we went to The Tap Room just for the sundae. Well for a skinny kid he can really eat and we almost ate the entire sundae by ourselves.

20190922_124138.jpg

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Man, anyone who makes it to Pebble and doesn't partake in this, has no idea what they are missing out on. It's heaven on earth. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aloha b. said:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Did you stay at the Lodge or Spanish Bay and what did you think? Also that looks like a nice Vokey bag that you have.

Yes, I stayed at the beautiful Spanish bay and it was a top of the line stay. The rooms were beautiful, my wife enjoyed just relaxing in the room enjoying room service while I was at PB.

She said we are definitely staying at the lodge in our next stay and feel it will be a lot more convenient and well worth the up charge.

thank you for the bag complement, the vokey site only has it up for a few days every year so I was glad to have got one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aloha b. said:

20190922_124138.jpg

The best sundae around! after I played spy I had the tap room for dinner. I was stuffed from the steak dinner, but waiter recommended the sundae. Wife and I got the half and wow- it was insanely delicious and the half is still huge! 

Walked PB the next morning with out breakfast to help digest.. I was flying with energy till the 17th. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the shops, they are so much fun! A lot of traditional gems but a lot of cool gear too. 

I’m more of a SnapBack, joggers or lululemon bottoms, and rock Nike AM1s or Jordan’s when I golf. I didn’t expect much love from the shops for my taste, but the shops at pebble definitely have something for everyone. 

some snap backs from the shops:

029B8A15-E68D-4E17-871D-9F06E1FBE397.jpeg.cd60930772f112237a6690299f267b44.jpeg

• Like 2