Modus 3 105-x vs AMT White s300

Morry

Played modus 105-x and Loved them....especially in the longer and mid irons....

BUT, 8 thru P I struggled with dispersion and contact...thought it might be the shaft...the weight.....etc

went To the amt white s300 .....don’t feel much difference to the positive...labour with them a bit.....and don’t like the release and feel as much to be honest

thinking now it was a swing issue

especially since I realized that my gap has a modus 115 wedge in it.....that’s 125g or thereabouts...and same dispersions and strike issues...

so

maybr modus 105-x at 112g isn’t the issue after all

any thoughts?

Edited by Morry

• Morry changed the title to Modus 3 105-x vs AMT White s300

I’m not an experienced club tech and I did not stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.  As such it is very hard to comment without SA to your swingspeed, tempo, club length, etc.

However, I have played AMT in both R300 & S300 and Modus 105 in both S and X.  First, the AMT is basically classic Dynamic Gold profile while the Modus 105 very closely follows the EI profile of Project X.  Next, many people that move to a lighter shaft than what they are used to find it useful to move up a couple of SW points to help feel the head in the swing.  Finally, Modus 105 is the only shaft I’ve ever played that had a marked difference between flexes.  A decade ago, you could have handed me Dynamic Gold R300, S300, and X100 in a blind test and I would have had no trouble playing any of them but struggled to identify each correctly.  However, I found substantial difference in feel, performance, and consistency between X and S.  The Mizuno gizmo listed Modus 105-X as my #1 match and 105-S is MUCH better for me.

Best GUESS:  you’re generally better off with either the mid weight shaft, PX profile, or both than you are with heavy DG profile.  The short iron anomaly is likely a swing issue but you might consider adding a little lead tape to the shorter clubs.  Since you felt more comfortable in Modus 105-X in clubs you usually swing full speed and struggled with clubs that are often throttled back, you might consider trying the Modus in Stiff.

Good luck.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

1 hour ago, Aviador Naval said:

I’m not an experienced club tech and I did not stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.  As such it is very hard to comment without SA to your swingspeed, tempo, club length, etc.

However, I have played AMT in both R300 & S300 and Modus 105 in both S and X.  First, the AMT is basically classic Dynamic Gold profile while the Modus 105 very closely follows the EI profile of Project X.  Next, many people that move to a lighter shaft than what they are used to find it useful to move up a couple of SW points to help feel the head in the swing.  Finally, Modus 105 is the only shaft I’ve ever played that had a marked difference between flexes.  A decade ago, you could have handed me Dynamic Gold R300, S300, and X100 in a blind test and I would have had no trouble playing any of them but struggled to identify each correctly.  However, I found substantial difference in feel, performance, and consistency between X and S.  The Mizuno gizmo listed Modus 105-X as my #1 match and 105-S is MUCH better for me.

Best GUESS:  you’re generally better off with either the mid weight shaft, PX profile, or both than you are with heavy DG profile.  The short iron anomaly is likely a swing issue but you might consider adding a little lead tape to the shorter clubs.  Since you felt more comfortable in Modus 105-X in clubs you usually swing full speed and struggled with clubs that are often throttled back, you might consider trying the Modus in Stiff.

Good luck.

Thank you 

great insight 

I can make the AMT's work, but they sure feel like a struggle 

I think increasing the swingweight on the modus 105-x could possibly solve and 'explain' the issues I have had 

I was previously in the 105-s, but needed a bit more tip-deflection help for a hook miss and the 105-x seemed to help huge without taking away much from the positives of the S for me 

Why do you feel the 105-s is much better for you?  curious

thanks a ton 

leaning to try the project x IO 6.5 (115g) and the TT elevate tour S (117g) as well....I am sure you would say the PX I/O would suit better given the PX-pofile vs the elevate? 

appreciated

Morry

1 hour ago, Aviador Naval said:

Good luck.

87mph 6 iron / 102 driver

moderate tempo 

standard length 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:21 PM, Morry said:

BUT, 8 thru P I struggled with dispersion and contact...thought it might be the shaft...the weight.....etc

went To the amt white s300 .....don’t feel much difference to the positive...labour with them a bit.....and don’t like the release and feel as much to be honest

especially since I realized that my gap has a modus 115 wedge in it.....that’s 125g or thereabouts...and same dispersions and strike issues...

so

any thoughts?

its ALWAYS a swing issue.....equipment and fittings cannot fix a bad strike or a bad swing.....if you have a nice consistent swing each and every time, you can play any shaft that is out there.... do not get brainwashed into the whole "science of fitting". Its really all marketing.....swing is everything......that being said, try the modus 120 in stiff or X......you may love it

Edited by tsecor

22 hours ago, Morry said:

I agree

I am really intrigued with this project x vs DG  EI profile ....would explain alot

also wondering about the 105-x vs 105-s and why I prefer the X, even though my swingspeed would suggest S  - 6 iron 86/87mph 

Any insights very much appreciated

any view here appreciated

On 3/2/2021 at 7:41 AM, Morry said:

Thank you 

great insight 

I can make the AMT's work, but they sure feel like a struggle 

I think increasing the swingweight on the modus 105-x could possibly solve and 'explain' the issues I have had 

I was previously in the 105-s, but needed a bit more tip-deflection help for a hook miss and the 105-x seemed to help huge without taking away much from the positives of the S for me 

Why do you feel the 105-s is much better for you?  curious

thanks a ton 

leaning to try the project x IO 6.5 (115g) and the TT elevate tour S (117g) as well....I am sure you would say the PX I/O would suit better given the PX-pofile vs the elevate? 

appreciated

Morry

any other thoughts really appreciated

Modus 105x is stiffer than s300 AMT despite the latter being heavier.  Modus has a stiffer butt and tip with a softer middle compared to the relatively softer butt-stiff tip design of the s300.  

you might try Modus 125 stiff (or x) in your wedges/short irons which are designed with a very similar, if not identical, profile as Modus 105.

I started playing golf with dynamic gold S300’s, and have always dug the thump through impact with them. In early 2019, I was fit into the Modus 105x and eventually ordered a set of iBlades with them installed with heavier swing weights (D4-D5). While I have had good results with this set, I still longed for the dg feel and I think the shorter irons were lacking heft and threw my timing off a bit. I traveled last November and had to use a rental set that happened to have AMT Tour White S300’s. Results were great, and the feel was there, but I felt that the shafts could have been stiffer. Trialed a set of AMT TI S400’s hard stepped and those still felt a little loose. Found some AMT TI X100’s and soft stepped them. I have 8 iron shafts in the 9, PW, 50, 54 and 58.  Just had a range session for the first time this past weekend and I think I found what I have been searching for. Light weight, like the modus 105x’s in the long irons, and getting progressively heavier throughout the set. The heft is there and so is that thump.  Time will tell....

On 2/28/2021 at 8:21 PM, Morry said:

so

any thoughts?

It's always really a swing problem.  The question is how much is the fit of the equipment contributing to that swing problem.

Probably correct about the shaft weight but you can always use some lead tape to validate that thought.   Wrap it around the shaft about 4-5" below the bottom of the grip.   Add it in 5-10 gm increments and that will tell you if the shaft weight is the problem or not.

After you're done with that, I'd try some lead tape on the head (2 gm increments) to test if the problem is the swing weight instead of the shaft weight or total weight.   That actually makes a bit more sense since a  const MOI set of clubs would have the swing weight increase from the longer irons to the shorter irons.

And if neither of those help, it could potentially be the shaft stiffness - but that's typically not the case if you actually like the feel of the shaft load/unload  (e.g. doesn't feel bad in some way - too much or too litle like it did with the AMT's).  So more likely time to go see your pro.

I played the XP 115 which it seems like the Tour Elevate is very similar, perhaps just a rebranded XP 115 with foam inserts for dampening. 

I like them, but feel like the Modus 105 is a better fit. 

The advice you got here applies to me as well. 

I played the XP 115 s300 at D2 and found them to be great, but found a home in the Modus 105s at D4.5. I found the Modus 105x to be too stiff feeling for my liking, so I play Modus 105s hs/x1 at 1/2 over to get the swingweight up, plus I have a more upright address and delivery. 

I have a slow tempo, easy transition and later release (mid/late 3.5 on the Mizuno shaft optimizer) As pointed out, there are other factors in picking the right shaft other than swing speed. My 7 iron swing speed is 93-94mph. I’m always being recommended for heavy and x-stiff, but what works best for me is going lighter and softer. YMMV