Ping G425 Hybrid - WMD

I hit my buddy's G425 3 hybrid on the weekend with the Pro Orange shaft.  Call "Team America World Police" as it's a weapon of monster distance.  I don't normally play a hybrid, but the G425 seemed very hot and ball go high and far.  Lovely head shape, sound and feel too.

It's now on my short list.  Has anyone been playing the hybrid and what have been your initial reactions?

• Like 1

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Purchased this a few weeks ago. Gained 15 yards carry avg from my Ping G with the Tour shaft. The 425/Pro Orange is a complete game changer. Best hybrid I've ever swung from a performance aspect. 

I hit my buddy's G425 3 hybrid on the weekend with the Pro Orange shaft.  Call "Team America World Police" as it's a weapon of monster distance.  I don't normally play a hybrid, but the G425 seemed ve

I have a hole in my bag in this spot and looking closely at the G425. Love the head shape and adjustability. I wonder what the true profile and ingredients are on the Pro Orange 80x as it is listed on

12 hours ago, beluga99 said:

I hit my buddy's G425 3 hybrid on the weekend with the Pro Orange shaft.  Call "Team America World Police" as it's a weapon of monster distance.  I don't normally play a hybrid, but the G425 seemed very hot and ball go high and far.  Lovely head shape, sound and feel too.

It's now on my short list.  Has anyone been playing the hybrid and what have been your initial reactions?

Purchased this a few weeks ago. Gained 15 yards carry avg from my Ping G with the Tour shaft. The 425/Pro Orange is a complete game changer. Best hybrid I've ever swung from a performance aspect. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST Tensei AV Raw White 65 TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro Orange 85S

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1

I have a hole in my bag in this spot and looking closely at the G425. Love the head shape and adjustability. I wonder what the true profile and ingredients are on the Pro Orange 80x as it is listed on the MCA site as available "through select partners." The weight and torque specs make it seem much closer to the R and S flexes, there is no TX until you get to the 90g weight, and MCA doesn't list it in the specs in the official PDF for the Pro Orange hybrid.  I might stick with something a little more traditional in weight distribution as I'm not sure if a counter-balanced shaft in the hybrid would work, but I am curious about that specific 80x version.

Edited by t4t3r
  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Alpha 816 15* - Diamana B 80x
Adams MB2 Raw Tour Issue 4-PW - KBS CTaper 120
Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.09 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Milspec 350
Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 hour ago, t4t3r said:

I have a hole in my bag in this spot and looking closely at the G425. Love the head shape and adjustability. I wonder what the true profile and ingredients are on the Pro Orange 80x as it is listed on the MCA site as available "through select partners." The weight and torque specs make it seem much closer to the R and S flexes, there is no TX until you get to the 90g weight, and MCA doesn't list it in the specs in the official PDF for the Pro Orange hybrid.  I might stick with something a little more traditional in weight distribution as I'm not sure if a counter-balanced shaft in the hybrid would work, but I am curious about that specific 80x version.

Was told they are the same profiles as the one's direct from MCA. MCA's specs are raw shaft data. The specs on Ping's site are after they're cut for the head in question. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST Tensei AV Raw White 65 TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro Orange 85S

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1

I believe it's the real deal shaft.  @t4t3r don't sleep on the counterbalanced shaft.  I haven't been a fan historically, but the Pro Orange is no slouch.  Another plus is the adjustability.  The Ping Tour shafts are also solid from other metals and hybrids I have played.  For reference, around 108mph swing speed with the driver.  Try the hybrid, you won't be disappointed!

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot

1 hour ago, agood3putt said:

Just got my G425 w Tour 85S. Lovely club, had the G410 and I think the G425 sounds and looks better iMO

Do you see a distance gain with the G425 over the G410? I used a G410 all last year and the distance was perfect for the gap it needed to fill. I bought a G425 without hitting and hope it goes about the same distance.

Ping G425 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 5W Alta CB 65 S

Ping G410 22* Hybrid Alta 70 S
Mizuno 921F 5-GW Modus 120 S
Titleist SM8 54* & 58*
21’ Ping Fetch 34”
ProV1

6 minutes ago, pmang said:

Do you see a distance gain with the G425 over the G410? I used a G410 all last year and the distance was perfect for the gap it needed to fill. I bought a G425 without hitting and hope it goes about the same distance.

I think a little more distance but that’s on the individual. I’m seeing a lot tighter dispersion that’s for sure. Would it be worth the upgrade if I had the G410? Yes I did and I think the sound and look alone beat the G410 but still keeps the PiNG forgiveness 

Titleist TSi3 9.75°| Tensei AV Raw White 65S

Fairway: TBD
Hybrid: TBD
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Putter: TBD
Titleist ProV1x

2 minutes ago, agood3putt said:

I think a little more distance but that’s on the individual. I’m seeing a lot tighter dispersion that’s for sure. Would it be worth the upgrade if I had the G410? Yes I did and I think the sound and look alone beat the G410 but still keeps the PiNG forgiveness 

Agreed, I hit both and enjoyed the G410, but I was pleasantly suprised when I hit the G425.  I can tend to line up the ball toe side of centre with other clubs, but the shape of the G425 really seemed to help with this flaw.  The most suprising aspect was the ball flight.  High and flat in that it gets up quickly and goes.  Also very straight for me but that's swing dependant.

• Like 1

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot

7 minutes ago, agood3putt said:

I just had a look at your WITB.  I got fitted into a TSi3 with the Tensei, have the Diamana D+ 70 in my 917 F2 which I love and Modus shafts in my Mizuno irons.  Based on that I will definitely  try the Tour shaft before my hybrid purchase.  Did you try the Orange and if so, how did it compare?

• Like 1

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot

4 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

I just had a look at your WITB.  I got fitted into a TSi3 with the Tensei, have the Diamana D+ 70 in my 917 F2 which I love and Modus shafts in my Mizuno irons.  Based on that I will definitely  try the Tour shaft before my hybrid purchase.  Did you try the Orange and if so, how did it compare?

I tried the Orange but unfortunately was a little too light for me. The Tour shaft in their hybrids have always served me well. If I had the money I would be snagging an Accra FX 2.0 300h M4 shaft. IMO that is the best shaft for the money when it comes to hybrids. Until then ill be using the Tour!

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x

7 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

Also the D+ 70 from fairway to the Tour shaft would be a good weight transition but there is nothing set in stone for that. 

As opposed to the D+ to Pro Orange which is only a slight increase in weight. 

(All assuming you play stiff shafts like I do lol)

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x

• 2 months later...

Man! This club is just getting so much buzz. I really don't typically chase the new technology but everyone of the online video were so glowing. The G410 served me well, enjoyed them a lot, but I have already ordered the 4 hybrid.

I was trying to be turbulator neutral. The 410s worked so well maybe they did work well as an alignment aid. I had found I made good center contact with those clubs.

The moment you see the 425 you hate the turbulators. It almost offends you. I'm not the first person to say the 425 look a lot like the answer from 2015. Why would ping wait so long to reintroduce the design.

Add in tensei orange which I have played in my cally super hybrid, its a no brainer.

Now the wait. Ohhhhhh the wait. I really think this is the one though, I want these to stay in the bag a long time. Says the guy that had G400, G410 and now G425. 

2 hours ago, fj_magni said:

Man! This club is just getting so much buzz. I really don't typically chase the new technology but everyone of the online video were so glowing. The G410 served me well, enjoyed them a lot, but I have already ordered the 4 hybrid.

I was trying to be turbulator neutral. The 410s worked so well maybe they did work well as an alignment aid. I had found I made good center contact with those clubs.

The moment you see the 425 you hate the turbulators. It almost offends you. I'm not the first person to say the 425 look a lot like the answer from 2015. Why would ping wait so long to reintroduce the design.

Add in tensei orange which I have played in my cally super hybrid, its a no brainer.

Now the wait. Ohhhhhh the wait. I really think this is the one though, I want these to stay in the bag a long time. Says the guy that had G400, G410 and now G425. 

Well......turbolater

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

I demoed one through Global Utry and ended up with 3.  It’s like pushing a button that says “high and straight”.   Love pressing that button.   

Callaway Great Big Bertha  9*   Kuro Kage Black  
Callaway Epic Flash  15*   Tensei Blue

Callaway Steelhead XR  21*   Tensei Blue

Callaway Steelhead XR  24*   Tensei Blue
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB

Ping G425  34*  Alta CB
Ping G710  7 - SW   UST Recoil 
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Worked so well for me I ditched my irons (5-8) and went 3, 5, 7 hybrid then 9 iron and wedges. Stock CB Alta shaft, 3 and 5 hybrids have a boring penetrating flight, 7 goes high and lands soft. There is 7 degrees between them so a bit of a gap, but I wanted to get back to a more minimalist set, so far so good. My main concern is hitting fairways off the tee for this set up to work the best. 

47 minutes ago, JAM01 said:

Worked so well for me I ditched my irons (5-8) and went 3, 5, 7 hybrid then 9 iron and wedges. Stock CB Alta shaft, 3 and 5 hybrids have a boring penetrating flight, 7 goes high and lands soft. There is 7 degrees between them so a bit of a gap, but I wanted to get back to a more minimalist set, so far so good. My main concern is hitting fairways off the tee for this set up to work the best. 

Absolutely love 100yd 6h practice shots.......one of the better feelings when executed 💯

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

43 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Absolutely love 100yd 6h practice shots.......one of the better feelings when executed 💯

Agree, I used to do punch shots with 4 iron. The 3 or 5 hybrid, when executed properly absolutely is a wonderful recovery weapon. Even tried some bump and runs with the 7 hybrid with success. These do feel great, there’s something to Spinsistency.