2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Arnold Palmer Invitational 2021

MattyO1984

36 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

I just went to the replay on NBC, and you can see the beginning of the throw and then hear the whirl 😄. For some reason, the person who uploaded it to YouTube omitted the tee shot on 17. It goes from last putt on 16 to fairway on 17.

What a load of crap! For a couple reasons.

1. As golf tantrums go, it might make into one of those hilarious YouTube compilations... but he didn’t swear, and the ultimate act of violence wasn’t even caught on tape. It was just funny because the whole round the guys were man crushing on his swing, his clothes, his hair, etc., etc., etc., his surfing, his skiing in Switzerland, etc., etc., etc. And Scott was piping driver all day. I mean this guys whole career is in the slot. I think he gets board with it. But 3W, not so much.

And... 2. They didn’t even say what club he was hitting into the 17th green! He came up way short, and I didn’t have the will to look for his WITB and see if he’s carrying a 5 metal. And based on the danger of being eaten alive by Godzilla if you step one foot off The Concession, the caddie should’ve told Adam Scott Jr. III to f’off if he asked him to go get the twirling wand. So I’m appalled by the bad “Gold” club reporting as well. 

Just now, OBbogey5 said:

What a load of crap! For a couple reasons.

1. As golf tantrums go, it might make into one of those hilarious YouTube compilations... but he didn’t swear, and the ultimate act of violence wasn’t even caught on tape. It was just funny because the whole round the guys were man crushing on his swing, his clothes, his hair, etc., etc., etc., his surfing, his skiing in Switzerland, etc., etc., etc. And Scott was piping driver all day. I mean this guys whole career is in the slot. I think he gets board with it. But 3W, not so much.

And... 2. They didn’t even say what club he was hitting into the 17th green! He came up way short, and I didn’t have the will to look for his WITB and see if he’s carrying a 5 metal. And based on the danger of being eaten alive by Godzilla if you step one foot off The Concession, the caddie should’ve told Adam Scott Jr. III to f’off if he asked him to go get the twirling wand. So I’m appalled by the bad “Gold” club reporting as well. 

It's not an official PGA account. It was just some guy that uploaded it. On the NBC Sports website/app, everything is still there including Damron's comments.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, KRAMER1997 said:

Oh my god I absolutely hate watching this tournament. Endless Arnie tributes, Tiger tributes, and stupid Jimmy Roberts segments arggggg. Move this tournament to October and have Valspar fill it's current spot. Copperhead>>>>BayHill any day of the week. 

lol thats cute. Valspar aka fourth fiddle in the FL swing. Tampa sucks, so does Copperhead.

• Confused 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

13 hours ago, OBbogey5 said:

@RRD was the only guy to say what we all heard — that Adam Scott chucked his 3 metal into the wilderness off the 17th tee at The Concession. 

“Did the club go?!.... I think it did!”

Loved it

1 hour ago, OBbogey5 said:

It was on the NBC (Gold?) feature pairing on Sunday. Scott made a couple really bad swings with that club and pushed/flailed/under cut a couple way right and short. He did it again on 17, and he’s in mid throwing motion and the camera cuts away, but you hear woooosh - woooosh - woooosh - we all know that sound. One announcer says he throw his tee in disgust. Our @RRD corrected that notion very quickly. 

At the risk of sounding like a putz, who is RRD?

Also a fun fact. The API at Bay Hill was the LAST 100% capacity PGA tournament in 2020 (not counting the 1.5 days at TPC Sawgrass before it was cancelled) - and will also be the FIRST 'new capacity (20,000 fans per day)' tournament in 2021!

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

43 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

lol thats cute. Valspar aka fourth fiddle in the FL swing. Tampa sucks, so does Copperhead.

Opinions are unique to everyone but Copperheads really come on strong the past decade, it has gotten rave reviews from tour players, and Bay Hill has kinda been stagnant for a lot of years (until the renovations), but there was a legit fear amongst the Saunders family, and Tour officials that post Palmers death players wouldn’t go to Bay Hill. That’s a legit fear from inside the ropes of Bay Hill. I worked there and was involved heavily in a lot of goings on at the club. 

4 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Opinions are unique to everyone but Copperheads really come on strong the past decade, it has gotten rave reviews from tour players, and Bay Hill has kinda been stagnant for a lot of years (until the renovations), but there was a legit fear amongst the Saunders family, and Tour officials that post Palmers death players wouldn’t go to Bay Hill. That’s a legit fear from inside the ropes of Bay Hill. I worked there and was involved heavily in a lot of goings on at the club. 

Just a quick glance at the field, only 4 players ranked in the top 20 are playing this year (Hatton, Mcilroy, Bryson, Reed). It happens but one of the weakest fields in a minute. I think the API field is gonna get weaker every year with it being sandwiched in between the WGC and Sawgrass. I think the current spot on the calendar absolutely sucks, and this tournament will continue to suffer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I'm aware.

This year the field is weaker due to COVID still and the shift of the WGC Mexico to here in FL, and Tiger's accident (He wanted to play this year if his recovery from the disk surgery allowed).

Edited by third-times-a-charm

35 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Beats me.  I think @OBbogey5 meant @RDD.

It's Robert Damron.  He joined and used to post in the Morning Drive thread.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

58 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Bay Hill has been slowly losing top rated players since Mr. Palmer's passing.  Tiger used to always play because it seemed he was always the defending champion.  I don't know if it was a deliberate attempt in the last decade to make the course tougher or schedule wise guys just chose to skip it.  I think all those Florida swing courses are tough so maybe a top guy chooses Valspar or Honda instead.

I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the Nelson when it was played at a revolving door of courses.  Seemed like top guys would skip the Nelson also.

• Like 1

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

On 3/1/2021 at 7:15 AM, KRAMER1997 said:

Oh my god I absolutely hate watching this tournament. Endless Arnie tributes, Tiger tributes, and stupid Jimmy Roberts segments arggggg. Move this tournament to October and have Valspar fill it's current spot. Copperhead>>>>BayHill any day of the week. 

Please. Mr. Palmer.

😅

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

1 hour ago, KRAMER1997 said:

Just a quick glance at the field, only 4 players ranked in the top 20 are playing this year (Hatton, Mcilroy, Bryson, Reed). It happens but one of the weakest fields in a minute. I think the API field is gonna get weaker every year with it being sandwiched in between the WGC and Sawgrass. I think the current spot on the calendar absolutely sucks, and this tournament will continue to suffer.

I totally agree. Oddly enough there was a thread here on this site announcing the new venues and schedule changes with the WGC and I said (paraphrasing) this will hurt the API. And I was summarily laughed at...but it is. Guys aren’t going to skip The Players one of the richest purses in golf and their own event, no will they skip a guaranteed paycheck at a WGC. So someone has to lose and with a lot of guys leaving Orlando too, The Honda is now the hometown event. Yeah a lot of guys still hang out in Orlando but their own beds are in Martin and Palm Beach counties. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I totally agree. Oddly enough there was a thread here on this site announcing the new venues and schedule changes with the WGC and I said (paraphrasing) this will hurt the API. And I was summarily laughed at...but it is. Guys aren’t going to skip The Players one of the richest purses in golf and their own event, no will they skip a guaranteed paycheck at a WGC. So someone has to lose and with a lot of guys leaving Orlando too, The Honda is now the hometown event. Yeah a lot of guys still hang out in Orlando but their own beds are in Martin and Palm Beach counties. 

It'll be like the Nelson in a couple years if they don't change the schedule. It used to be 2 weeks before the Masters which was a perfect spot. Unfortunately, in between a WGC and the Players is one of the worst spots on the calendar. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, BC33 said:

Bay Hill has been slowly losing top rated players since Mr. Palmer's passing.  Tiger used to always play because it seemed he was always the defending champion.  I don't know if it was a deliberate attempt in the last decade to make the course tougher or schedule wise guys just chose to skip it.  I think all those Florida swing courses are tough so maybe a top guy chooses Valspar or Honda instead.

I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the Nelson when it was played at a revolving door of courses.  Seemed like top guys would skip the Nelson also.

1000 percent they have. The Tour knew it, Bay Hill knew it, the Saunders knew it. That is one reason why the Tour added the extra incentives like extra FedEx Cup points and a three year exemption. To try to get players to go. 

It was a combo of both, it is a very tough course with the rye down and if it’s cool and breezy it’s one of the tougher around. The scheduling has made it a tougher sell as well. The other big issue was lack of facilities. 
Prior to the last renovation the practice facilities sucked for a Tour player. Yes the range is “big” practice green is gorgeous but it wasn’t anything great. This new renovation that occurred adding a practice area by removing hole 9 on the Charger has made it vastly better.

Before anyone thinks I’m hating, Bay Hill is one of my favorite courses on the PGA Tour I love the week of the API. I even had the great privilege of meeting Mr. Palmer. But these are just realities of the event for better or worse.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BNGL said:

1000 percent they have. The Tour knew it, Bay Hill knew it, the Saunders knew it. That is one reason why the Tour added the extra incentives like extra FedEx Cup points and a three year exemption. To try to get players to go. 

It was a combo of both, it is a very tough course with the rye down and if it’s cool and breezy it’s one of the tougher around. The scheduling has made it a tougher sell as well. The other big issue was lack of facilities. 
Prior to the last renovation the practice facilities sucked for a Tour player. Yes the range is “big” practice green is gorgeous but it wasn’t anything great. This new renovation that occurred adding a practice area by removing hole 9 on the Charger has made it vastly better.

Before anyone thinks I’m hating, Bay Hill is one of my favorite courses on the PGA Tour I love the week of the API. I even had the great privilege of meeting Mr. Palmer. But these are just realities of the event for better or worse.

Do you think Memorial will lose it's SOF once Jack passes away?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KRAMER1997 said:

Do you think Memorial will lose it's SOF once Jack passes away?

No. Because of two things:

The players love attending the tournament, yes it’s Jack Nicklaus but their treated extremely well there the entire week practice facilities and golf course are too notch. 

The schedule. The Memorial is typically a tuneup for the US Open. It used to be The Memorial then the FedEx St. Jude then the US Open. Now it’s Columbus, Canadian Open, US Open. And with sectionals still in Columbus (I believe it’s still a host) lots of guys will play then play sectionals. But it’s a tune up event for the US Open. 

26 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Is the player's the 5th major? 

No. I can't stand the attempt to "create" a 5th major. We have 4. Honestly, why stop there if they do end up with a 5th major?? Why not 6 or 7?  It would be diluting the product of the majors cough cough the PGA Championship in particular. I guess I'm not a fan of TPC courses in general and would love to see the tour shake it up a bit with their courses. 

Put me in the camp that enjoys Bay Hill as a tour stop. I really love the Florida swing and wish the tour would do better to market it. Would be awesome to see the WGC stay in Florida (where it belongs).

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5