Ask Us Anything — Club Champion

313453137_MatrixShafts.jpg.20a864dd5a258e9ed33e24ef0493b5c3.jpg

Hi everyone! We hope you're all healthy and excited to tee off a new golf season.

While we navigate these uncharted waters and count the days until our next tee time, we thought it might be fun to chat with you and answer any questions you might have about custom club fitting. We've enjoyed other AUA threads from friends like @Fujikura Golf and @TaylorMade Golf, so we want to dive in and see what knowledge we can share. 

Our founder Nick Sherburne and other master fitters and builders will be on hand to help answer your questions. Please use this as an opportunity to ask us about fitting, our process, the company, you name it. 

An exclusive sneak preview of things to come: this month, we're launching Fits with the Founder, a podcast hosted by Nick providing an unfiltered look at the golf industry. The show will also feature interviews with everyone from athletes and influencers to top equipment manufacturers from around the golf world. Please let us know in this thread what topics you'd like to hear about and what golf industry guests you'd like to hear from! 

Thanks for chatting with us and we're excited to hear from you. Please also follow us on Instagram and Twitter for more fitting and equipment content!

Sincerely,
The Club Champion Crew

2041276068_ClubConnect.jpg.f055891dc2a040c452d1349debca3f84.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone! We hope you're all healthy and excited to tee off a new golf season.   While we navigate these uncharted waters and count the days until our next tee time, we thought it might b

I paid for a fitting at CC about 4 years ago at Turkey Lake road. I was told an Accra shaft was the best fit for me in my driver. I proceeded to send 3’ friends there to be fit. They did not tell CC I

Yes, your layout is correct — two schools of thought.    Ultimately, yes, those two approaches could find you in a different set-up because you're using two different methods to solve a prob

Posted Images

Well done for starting this, lets talk Spin.For a 100mph player, whats a good spin level in 2021? eg 2600 rpm? for a likely 255yard drive with a slight fade or draw  so no major issues....(so a rare fitting...)and lets say ts vs tsi or 917 to tsi with a Tensei Blue 65. Im keen too see how these popular options can be optimized.Cheers,Roger

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Is the new radspeed XB the magic combo of Mid launch and low spin that suits a lot of golfers? Is that driver one of the most tunable now with the various combinations of shafts?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

I want to get fitted at Club Champion for irons this spring. Could you describe what you test for, and if there is anything I need to do prior to the fitting. Also, what equipment and balls are used in the fitting process.   

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

3 minutes ago, 8thehardway said:

I want to get fitted at Club Champion for irons this spring. Could you describe what you test for, and if there is anything I need to do prior to the fitting. Also, what equipment and balls are used in the fitting process.   

Sure! We get more in-depth on the process on our site, but the basics are these:

1. We use your existing clubs to set a baseline.

2. We then use our demo matrix of over 50,000 hittable head/shaft combos (comprised of over 50 brands) to then beat that baseline.

3. We're looking at everything: ball speed, swing speed, smash factor, carry, overall distance, accuracy, dispersion, spin rates, etc. If it can be measured by TrackMan, we're looking at it. 

4. To upgrade those metrics, we're looking at every element of the golf club: loft, lie, shaft flex/profile, shaft length, swingweight, etc. — even feel and aesthetic to make sure that you're comfortable with the club.

5. We'll provide you a quote for the recommended clubs that performed the best based on your goals and it'll be up to you what you purchase (or don't purchase). 

There are quite a few more steps as it pertains to the build process but I think that covers your question! We do have a variety of balls in-house but you're welcome to bring your preferred golf ball as well. Lastly, there isn't a ton you need to do prior to your fitting but here are a couple tips:

- If you have a budget, please let your fitter know so they can work with that throughout the fitting. 

- Have an idea of your goals. Overall improvement is a given, but if you're specifically looking for better dispersion or higher ball flight for example, those goals can help guide your fitter to find you the best fit. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Not really interested in changing irons, but I would be interested in an "iron shaft fitting".  I'm gaming Miz 919JPX forged irons with DG S300 shafts, but got the chance to hit another makers prototype irons (similar shape and weight to the Miz irons) with a lighter shaft and the favorable difference with the lighter shaft was extremely noticeable.  Do you offer just an iron shaft fitting, understanding that the iron heads will likely be the newer Miz heads vs the 919s?

Just now, mycale said:

Not really interested in changing irons, but I would be interested in an "iron shaft fitting".  I'm gaming Miz 919JPX forged irons with DG S300 shafts, but got the chance to hit another makers prototype irons (similar shape and weight to the Miz irons) with a lighter shaft and the favorable difference with the lighter shaft was extremely noticeable.  Do you offer just an iron shaft fitting, understanding that the iron heads will likely be the newer Miz heads vs the 919s?

We'd consider that a regular iron fitting; there's never an obligation to purchase new clubheads (or anything else) and as a matter of fact, we fit people for their current clubheads all the time. Just let your fitter know you want to stick with the current heads and they will work on finding that lighter shaft option. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Is the new radspeed XB the magic combo of Mid launch and low spin that suits a lot of golfers? Is that driver one of the most tunable now with the various combinations of shafts?

It is a great mid launch, low spin head. I wouldn't say it's the only one out there or the magic bullet, but a great driver that's used a lot during our fits. It does have some nice shaft offerings, but add our entire demo matrix and that makes all drivers highly tunable. There are definitely some nice tweaking opportunities in the RADSPEED line, but there are other manufacturers out there as well that have tuning ability through hosel and weights. 

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

Well done for starting this, lets talk Spin.For a 100mph player, whats a good spin level in 2021? eg 2600 rpm? for a likely 255yard drive with a slight fade or draw  so no major issues....(so a rare fitting...)and lets say ts vs tsi or 917 to tsi with a Tensei Blue 65. Im keen too see how these popular options can be optimized.Cheers,Roger

Tough to say without knowing your ball speed and attack angle. The generic answer is 2,600 but it can range. See chart attached.

image.png

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, BlueDragonKorea said:

What are your thoughts on TXG’s video about puring?

TXG is an SST PURE licensee and Ian and the crew bought the machine because they believe in the process. However, we do think that it is a flawed test to a degree. Having a single scratch golfer with a custom build that costs over $1K isn't a great test with limited hits.  Have an average golfer do it (especially with a club built at random) and you would see more game-changing results. We like to point folks to some more in-depth studies:
Edited by Club Champion
  • Thanks 2

Can you guys pure already shafted clubs if I bring my set in? if so what would your rate be?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

7 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Can you guys pure already shafted clubs if I bring my set in? if so what would your rate be?

We call that a Retro-PURE and yes, we can do it. It's $65 per stick, not including grip reinstallation (if we're just saving your existing grip, that's $6. Otherwise it's $4 to install a new grip. You can either bring us that new grip or purchase from our roster of items).

Have you considered expanding custom wedge options including shafts and grinds?

BTW your SAM putter fitting is off the charts amazing and by far the most eye opening stroke shaving part of all your offerings. 

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Studio Design no. 2
Pro V1

1 minute ago, foreleftandright said:

if swing speed is between 108-112, and im currently swinging a regular tensei blue 55, is it worth it to buy a stiff shaft off the shelf until I get fit next season? 

We'll never be able to recommend off-the-shelf clubs confidently. More often than not, that purchase will not suit your actual swing (no matter what the flex label says) and there will be impurities in the production of said shaft. Even if you don't plan to purchase just yet, we'd still recommend getting fitted for proper specs before making any purchase -- buying blind is just not worth the risk.

1 hour ago, mcounci2 said:

What's your procedure for wedge fitting? Do you have interchangeable heads and  wedge-specific shafts? 

We have some interchangeable systems for wedges but not every wedge falls into that category.  We first want to make sure the gapping is correct off the iron set, so finding loft gapping will be a big part of the process. Then we do a series of tests to find recommended grind and bounce. This is accomplished through scrape marks but also finding which grinds and bounces give the best ball speed, typically the lowest launch with the highest spin, but those ideal metrics vary by golfer. Once we know the gapping, bounce and grind, then we talk about specs. But remember — your wedge specs should not vary from the irons for most golfers. A very accomplished golfer who knows every shot can get deeper with wedges, but most of us average weekend warriors do better with consistency. That means matching the shafts, lengths, swingweights, etc.

56 minutes ago, getair23 said:

Have you considered expanding custom wedge options including shafts and grinds?

BTW your SAM putter fitting is off the charts amazing and by far the most eye opening stroke shaving part of all your offerings. 

Thanks for the feedback on SAM PuttLab! We love that system and a putter is such an incredibly underrated part of a golfer's game. 

In terms of wedges, we have a variety of different grinds and bounces available during our fittings. We also have shafts to test in many of our core wedge options. That being said, wedge shafts for the average golfer aren't going to be as impactful as all the other specs like loft, bounce, grind, lie angle, length, swingweight, and so on. Many times, matching your set for the everyday golfer is best for consistency standpoint

2 hours ago, Club Champion said:
TXG is an SST PURE licensee and Ian and the crew bought the machine because they believe in the process. However, we do think that it is a flawed test to a degree. Having a single scratch golfer with a custom build that costs over $1K isn't a great test with limited hits.  Have an average golfer do it (especially with a club built at random) and you would see more game-changing results. We like to point folks to some more in-depth studies:

The first two links claim they were an independent test, but there is no link to the test data. Who paid for the test? What shafts were used? What head was used? What was the p-value from the statistical evaluation?

Any decent scientific test will answer all of the those questions.

I am a 12 handicapper that plays a 4 x a month, and I consistently miss on the toe side. I also have a swing speed in the upper 90s or so. What shaft/head would work best with this miss/swing speed?

Taylormade M3, 10.5
Callaway Epic Flash 14
Cobra Baffler set to 17.5 with the Red Tie shaft
Titleist 818 H1 with the Tensei Pro White 90 shaft
Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
Vokey SM7 (50 & 54) in F and S grind
Callaway PM grind 58
Odyssey O-Works #7

53 minutes ago, Go Horns! said:

The first two links claim they were an independent test, but there is no link to the test data. Who paid for the test? What shafts were used? What head was used? What was the p-value from the statistical evaluation?

Any decent scientific test will answer all of the those questions.

Not sure if the PDF will post, but I'm adding the original study to this thread. Golf Laboratories, the gold standard in third party testing in the industry, did the test. You can also learn more info about the process on SST PURE's website

SST_Parente_report_150423.pdf

1 hour ago, clemsontiger1 said:

I am a 12 handicapper that plays a 4 x a month, and I consistently miss on the toe side. I also have a swing speed in the upper 90s or so. What shaft/head would work best with this miss/swing speed?

You'd need to go and get a fitting!!!  If nothing else, the launch monitor data might clue you in on what's causing your miss

1 hour ago, clemsontiger1 said:

We would need to fit you to truly diagnose anything. There's more to it than just handicap and swing speed. That said, some common fixes for toe side misses might be a flatter lie angle or a swingweight adjustment -- it just really depends on the root of the issue.