2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

course open but range closed!

love golf in general but even more during this covid fiasco. local course open but driving range is closed. to be really honest how in the hell can you play w/o a proper warm up, i mean really. i tried stretching, for 10 minutes, took some motrin, applied CBD's but the golf swing needs more than that.  i played 18 yesterday and drove the ball like blind monkey.  no rhythm, stiff, humping the ball and so on. finally ended up on hole 5, par 5 playing my 8 iron and bogey the hole. back loosened up, hips were clearing nicely and so on, so my question is for u guys is, how important is it for u to warm up? i'm 56 years old and the older i get the i need more warm up time. i played many different sports growing up but being young made it easy i was flexible, this old s*** sucks...

Edited by Sourpuss
  • Haha 1

Warm up?  We play out of the trunk every weekend (weather permitting)...might waste a good swing on the range 🤠

Try a club weight to help you loosen up, then play away!

• Like 3

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I actually like going out cold.  I have not seen a direct correlation to good or bad overall scores.  Sure I feel more dialed-in when I hit a bucket prior - but I can also spray them on the range - then will be a mental case for the first few holes on the course.

I do know people who 'must' hit a bucket prior, if they don't - they are mentally derailed for quite awhile.

• Like 2

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I for one cannot understand how people are able to play without warmup. Maybe I’m just not talented enough, but I need at least a small bucket to feel the low point for each club, and to not pull a muscle on the first drive. 
A friend of mine (51 y.o.) is the type that shows up 2 minutes before our tee time, he just has bad time management. 
He‘ll either be in the groove around hole 5, or have a terrible round because his slow start gets in his head. 
I can not understand how that can be enjoyable at all, but he doesn’t change anymore, I guess. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

38 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

What is their reasoning for having the range closed?

I would think they could easily just open up every other spot and have everyone spaced out appropriately if virus concerns are the reason.

A local range where I'm at (Dayton, OH area) is closed right now because they are out of balls and it is too wet to retrieve them.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

I prefer a proper warmup. In addition to have a better score, it is more out of injury prevention. I once played back 9 in a cold weather without warmup, I literally could not turn my body for the entire round. It was miserable. 

If you try to post a score, it might be worth to go somewhere else to warm up, then hit the course. The only alternative I can think of is to chip the balls with different clubs for a bit before the round. Not ideal, but it is better than starting out cold. 

I'm 37 with a tight lower back and tight hips.  If I'm playing really early, and I know the range will be closed or I won't get there in time to hit balls, I'll do a couple of things to help loosen up.  

I'll get up a couple of hours before my round and do a light cardio workout, and then get a good stretch in.  I'll also swing my Orange Whip for a bit when I get to the course near the chipping area, and then work on short game shots.  After that, I'll swing the Orange Whip some more.  All I'm worried about is loosening the back up with the swings.  I'll then putt for a bit. 

I can do all of this in about 20 minutes before a tee time.  I also walk a majority of the time, so with the right layering, I can stay pretty loose during my round.  In an ideal world, I will be there 45 minutes to an hour before the round, but on days where we are one of the first groups off as the sun is rising, I know the range isn't always going to be an option.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

18 minutes ago, Celebros said:

A local range where I'm at (Dayton, OH area) is closed right now because they are out of balls and it is too wet to retrieve them.

That's pretty common. My club's range was closed this weekend for the same reason (i.e. too wet to get a picker out there). I played anyway, but I could definitely feel my back starting to tighten up on the back 9 due to a lack of a warmup.

The OP's post seemed to indicate the closure wasn't due to weather so that's why I was asking.

The course where I work part-time is open but the range is closed.  The range doesn't drain nearly as well as the course (which doesn't drain great) so when we get tons of rain, as we have over the past two months, this happens quite often.  The range balls just plug when its this wet, sometimes 2-3 inches deep, making it almost impossible to pick the range.

I used to be the "I need to hit a small bucket before my round" guy, but over the years I don't really need to.  I often play better when I start off cold.  I think it keeps me from over swinging, resulting in better accuracy. I don't usually hit errant shots until I get to the 5th or 6th hole, once I've warmed up a bit 😆.  

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

That's pretty common. My club's range was closed this weekend for the same reason (i.e. too wet to get a picker out there). I played anyway, but I could definitely feel my back starting to tighten up on the back 9 due to a lack of a warmup.

The OP's post seemed to indicate the closure wasn't due to weather so that's why I was asking.

It could be a mechanical issue with the picker.  The course I practice at has that problem frequently.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

3 hours ago, Sourpuss said:

love golf in general but even more during this covid fiasco. local course open but driving range is closed. to be really honest how in the hell can you play w/o a proper warm up, i mean really. i tried stretching, for 10 minutes, took some motrin, applied CBD's but the golf swing needs more than that.  i played 18 yesterday and drove the ball like blind monkey.  no rhythm, stiff, humping the ball and so on. finally ended up on hole 5, par 5 playing my 8 iron and bogey the hole. back loosened up, hips were clearing nicely and so on, so my question is for u guys is, how important is it for u to warm up? i'm 56 years old and the older i get the i need more warm up time. i played many different sports growing up but being young made it easy i was flexible, this old s*** sucks...

Seriously u can play and you're whinning wow

weather is great here in california, santa barbara. our range is closed due to the fact the owner is a **ick( ty warner, beanie babies). he has also chosen to close 1 of the best courses in socal(rancho san marcos) entirely, why nobody knows why, he just does what he wants to do. he claims out of safety but come on it's out doors and they have to clean the balls after the range anyways. that being said w/ a warm up i'll shoot in the high 70's-low eighties and with out warm up, i'll shoot 50 on the front and 37-40 on the back. ouch!!!!!!

I haven't been to the range in about 13 months. I may putt for 5 min if I arrive early, but all of my golf during COVID has been from the parking lot to the #1 tee. The range is where you go to work on your swing but the course is where I go to practice scoring. If I'm working on my swing on the course it is usually a bad combination. Hahaha.

I'll take some practice swings with weighted clubs to warm up, but for the most part my swing is my swing and a range session before hand didn't change it too drastically.   🙂

• Like 3

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

My typical pre-round routine is show up 45-60 minutes prior to tee time, dynamic stretching 5 minutes (SuperSpeed routine w/o the sticks), small bucket 50% tempo 6-iron/full swing 6-iron/hybrid/driver/wedges/(3W if time), chipping (if time), putting. If range closed or short on time, I lower my expectations on first 3-5 holes. Hit ball, find ball, hit ball again...

Edited by 95124hacker

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

• 2 weeks later...

played tijeras creek this past weekend, no warm up and shot 15 over. played strawberry farms warmed up and shot 8 over, i still don't see how you guys do it. every single pro i know warms up on the range, in most instances almost all the pros i know in different sports warm up unless their late to the game. that includes, surfing-skateboarding-snowboarding-football-volleyball-basketball. 

Edited by Sourpuss

On 3/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, 95124hacker said:

My typical pre-round routine is show up 45-60 minutes prior to tee time, dynamic stretching 5 minutes (SuperSpeed routine w/o the sticks), small bucket 50% tempo 6-iron/full swing 6-iron/hybrid/driver/wedges/(3W if time), chipping (if time), putting. If range closed or short on time, I lower my expectations on first 3-5 holes. Hit ball, find ball, hit ball again...

I also do the SuperSpeed dynamic stretching before I start playing.  Comparing swing speeds with the swing speed radar before and after stretching I can see how much pre-playing stretching actually helps.  (Too bad it took me 20 years to figure that out 😞 ).

2 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I need at least a couple swings before the first tee, because typically that first swing hurts so bad. And is so bad. 

I prefer it as well.  Little bit of arthritis (that's been around since I was in my late 20s!) in a couple of my finger joints so I like to loosen up my fingers, especially if cold.  I've been an avid weight lifter for almost 35 years and if I've learned anything about it I would say that it is a warmup is essential to being my best.  Same goes for golf.  If I can't do it then I can't, but I always will given a choice.  If I don't, that first mid to short iron of the day almost always feels like it is rattling my soul, even if I pure it.

One thing that helps, almost without exception I run 3-5 miles before I play.  Even if I have to do it before the sun rises.  That alone loosens up nearly all my joints and is short enough that it isn't physically taxing.  Learned this from a friend of mine that didn't even start running without being forced until his 30s but he was a college baseball player and felt that really got him going.  If I don't get a run in before I play I feel stiff.

one of the guys in our regular groups is cheap & brings a dozen old balls to hit as a warmup.  A maintenance fellow saw that one morning & patiently told him that the range balls are a slightly different size than regulation balls, so his old balls can clog up the range machinery.

The guy then bought a dozen wiffle golf balls to hit near the practice area, & that worked fine (they only travel 20 - 30 yds).

1 hour ago, ryu123 said:

one of the guys in our regular groups is cheap & brings a dozen old balls to hit as a warmup.  A maintenance fellow saw that one morning & patiently told him that the range balls are a slightly different size than regulation balls, so his old balls can clog up the range machinery.

The guy then bought a dozen wiffle golf balls to hit near the practice area, & that worked fine (they only travel 20 - 30 yds).

Being a highly professional range picker myself,  IMO your buddy was given bogus info. The balls are all the same, however when I put them in the ball washer it takes some effort to pick out the shags. As hole #1 and #9 are adjacent to our range I also pick out a lot of brand new ProV's and other premium balls. The picker and washer are in no danger.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

If no range, some type of a dynamic warmup for 5 to 10 minutes is a must.  Don't want to get injured.  Dynamic stretches, some jumping jacks, and swinging an orange whip should do the trick when the range is closed.   Also like to do a breakfast ball or auto par on the first.

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

As much as I like a dozen or so balls on the range before a round, I'm finding more and more it's about the stretching for me personally. If I don't get there 20 minutes prior and really take time to limber up, I really regret it halfway through. 

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Titleist TS2 4w

Titleist TS2 7w

Mizuno MP20 MB 4-W

Vokey SM8 50*

Vokey SM8 55*

Taylormade HiToe 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5