Will Nike buy TaylorMade?

tsecor

16 minutes ago, toc said:

No, but Tiger should that'd be cool

Tiger is smarter than that. He knows not to buy high and sell low.

• Like 4

My Setup:

• :titelist-small: 917D2 Driver
  • :titelist-small: 917F2 Fairway Wood
  • :titelist-small: 816H1 Hybrid
  • :wilson_staff_small: D350 Irons 5-AW (23-47)
  • :taylormade-small: Milled Grind Wedges (52.09 & 56.12)
  • :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2-Ball Putter
  • :titelist-small: 2021 Players 4 Plus Stand Bag

I don't see why they would. They got out of equipment, so i'm not sure why they would get back in...And what else does TMAG offer Nike that they don't already do? Nike's clothing business i imagine is as good as TMAGs

Now seems like an odd time to buy an equipment MFR

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

No. That videos title is click bait. If you actually watch the video (I don’t recommend it) one of the guys main reasons Nike should buy TM is because TM has big name players right now... Uh, didn’t Nike already have some guy named Tiger and another named Rory amongst others playing their clubs? Hopefully he got a lot of clicks and increased his ad revenue 🤪

Edited by TIScape
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Not likely.   No synergy.  

image.png.c297b3ce58c04adeddc2b8c2a58b2542.png

I believe they have also divested some of their prior acquisitions.  Do they still own Umbro or Cole Haan?

I've moved away from Nike as well, but as a business case I do not see why they would, especially at the price being bandied about.  I can't imagine how they could ever achieve a decent ROI on that.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Apparel business = $. Buy cheap crap from sweatshops and mark it up 1,000%.

Golf club business = Making stuff is hard and way too much work. Margins are low.

If shirts sell for 85$ the mark up may be higher than that!

I know someone who owns a shirt factory.Air con and 5 day weeks.10 hour dsys though.Means staff can go.home at weekends.

11 hours ago, golfortennis said:

I believe they have also divested some of their prior acquisitions.  Do they still own Umbro or Cole Haan?

I've moved away from Nike as well, but as a business case I do not see why they would, especially at the price being bandied about.  I can't imagine how they could ever achieve a decent ROI on that.  

Cole Haan  - APAX, cash deal. 

Umbro went to Global or Iconix, can't remember.  

I would say no chance Nike buys them.   Nike screwed up their first foray into clubs, and when they left you saw the biggest jump in distance on the PGA tour, because a bunch of people playing Nike were able to go somewhere else.  Nike should have bought and existing club company that already had manufacturing deals and club designers in house with a long history.  But NO, Nike thought they could basically start from scratch and do it better, because they knew nothing about industrial manufacturing.

Building clubs isn't just about the best designers.  It's about those designers knowing tolerances with the metals and factories they are already working with to eek out a little more here or a little more there.  You can design a great club, but then working with a newish factory for your designers with a slightly different material and your tolerances are different.

No one touches TMAG at 2 billion.  Sure the Investment group fixed some things, tightened up the ship, and didn't allow the company to start blowing out 5 and 6 month old drivers at 100 to 150 off.  I think the SIM went on sale the week before the SIM 2.  Aushnet is a 3 billion company, Callaway is a 2.5 or so.  Both are more than just golf equipment, way more.  Acushnet alone with their shoes and balls makes them worth at least twice as much as TMAG.  Callaway with their shoes and clothing brands and other investments makes them worth twice as much as TMAG.

Current sales will not hold once the pandemic is over.  People who's kids stopped travel soccer, tennis, lacrosse, softball, that are buying equipment and playing will slow down or stop.  Kids that are playing golf instead of many of those sports will do the same.  Golf will go back to just above pre pandemic levels(some back to golf and new comers will stick, but most will not), anyone with half a brain expects this.

Will someone buy TMAG?  Yep.  Anywhere near 2 billion?  Nope.  TMAG was purchased for 250 mill cash and an overall price of about 425 mill or so in 2017.  TMAG sells for 1.15 at the most and I would guess not to Nike.  

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Posters keep referencing "TMAG" in this thread, but as someone else pointed out, TMAG no longer exists.  So knock it off.  Lol.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

11 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Nike screwed up their first foray into clubs, and when they left you saw the biggest jump in distance on the PGA tour, because a bunch of people playing Nike were able to go somewhere else.  Nike should have bought and existing club company that already had manufacturing deals and club designers in house with a long history.  But NO, Nike thought they could basically start from scratch and do it better, because they knew nothing about industrial manufacturing.

False.

They did buy an existing company, and started with a well respected club designer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

38 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

False.

They did buy an existing company, and started with a well respected club designer.

Please read instead of trying to jump in and be cool.

I stated this......

"Nike should have bought and existing club company that already had manufacturing deals and club designers in house with a long history.  But NO, Nike thought they could basically start from scratch and do it better, because they knew nothing about industrial manufacturing."

Key words there, LONG HISTORY and BASICALLY START FROM SCRATCH.

The company Nike bought did not have a a club designer with a long history of working with a specific factory understanding the exact properties of the titanium they produced.  They had a great designer, but that is really less than half of the battle in industrial manufacturing.  Impact golf and Tom Stites even his time at Hogan could maybe be a candle if you compared it to the bonfire of TMAG, Callaway or Ping as far as money spent in design, computers used in aiding design and relationship lengths.  If you think all 6/4, 15-3-3-3, SP700 and other grades of titanium are exactly the same at every factory and every factory has the same abilities then I have a bridge to sell you.  Also some tooling at some of the factories they use for only some manufacturers, because the manufacturers paid for that tooling.  The differences in the metals, abilities of each factory is what can push you right to the limit, which is something Nike never did since the biggest jump in average driver distance on the PGA tour happened when Nike got out of the club business.  Since they had a well respected club designer, the only option for why they had these issues would have to be on the manufacturing side.

Nike made some great irons, they made some good putters and wedges, there are some that like fairways and hybrids they made.  They real issue was their drivers.  They were a niche market, they weren't designed or fabricated as well as TM, Cally, Ping, Title, etc.  That lack of a good performing and fitting driver doomed their business.  Well that and an over reliance on TW, and from reports thinking that being Nike was enough and no drive to be great or the best.  

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Speaking from my Team Titleist perspective, I would be quite happy if Nike bought TM and did what they did with their own brand equipment 😂

In all seriousness though, it makes absolutely no sense for them to do that. Seems like when Nike do that sort of thing, they buy the company, gut the good parts of it, take the most lucrative contracts and then dump the brand - see Umbro, Bauer, Hurley. Given how poorly received Nike were in the golf equipment market before now, if Taylor Made were to suddenly become Nike-Taylor Made, I am not sure that golfers would be overly keen. 

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Phil Knight would laugh in your face in front of everybody if someone asked that question to him.  He knows how hot the hard goods golf kitchen is and doesn't want to go back there again.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

53 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Current sales will not hold once the pandemic is over.  People who's kids stopped travel soccer, tennis, lacrosse, softball, that are buying equipment and playing will slow down or stop.  Kids that are playing golf instead of many of those sports will do the same.  Golf will go back to just above pre pandemic levels(some back to golf and new comers will stick, but most will not), anyone with half a brain expects this.

Interesting perspective that I hadn't considered and factored in to where golf equipment sales go from this recent boom. I've got a kid who plays soccer at a competitive level and as games and tournaments have resumed, I'm definitely playing a little less. I think this definitely could be the case. What will be interesting is, for the kids who have started playing or are playing more during pandemic due to impact to their other sports, will they keep playing golf? Or, if they do keep playing, how much time will be dedicated to golf versus their other sports?

And to chime in on the main topic. Nike isn't buying TM. I would speculate they are not really even interested in being in the golf apparel business except for Tiger.

11 minutes ago, cn34 said:

I would speculate they are not really even interested in being in the golf apparel business except for Tiger.

Nike is interested in pursuing any market which will make them a good ROI. And selling specialized clothing made of cheap synthetic materials at a tremendous mark up to a market of mostly wealthy customers who will spend, for example, $600 on a new putter because Tiger uses it, is definitely gonna make good returns.

Edited by cbeau166

My Setup:

• :titelist-small: 917D2 Driver
  • :titelist-small: 917F2 Fairway Wood
  • :titelist-small: 816H1 Hybrid
  • :wilson_staff_small: D350 Irons 5-AW (23-47)
  • :taylormade-small: Milled Grind Wedges (52.09 & 56.12)
  • :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2-Ball Putter
  • :titelist-small: 2021 Players 4 Plus Stand Bag

One, I hope they don't.

Two, I think it would foolish to do.

Nike has a global company that makes HUGE profits off grossly overpriced sportswear, taking advantage of workers getting paid pennies for their hard labor.  Why would they want to cut into those profits by buying a company that, on the surface, loses millions of dollars each year in unsold and failed equipment.  Taylormade has been bought sold more than any existing golf equipment company.  I was told many years ago, don't invest in sports equipment manufacturers, the chance to make a profit is so slim.

The one exception was Cobra when Greg Norman invested heavily in the company and became the main ambassador.  He put Cobra on the golf map and made a fortune off it.  Now Cobra is a fringe company that has a very small presence on the Tour and that's where the main marketing for an OEM is done.

TM pays huge amounts to Rory, DJ and others and despite their recent success with a couple of recent offerings, the company as a whole doesn't seem to be a worthwhile investment, especially at the reported $2B price tag.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime