Ping i210s. Would you buy them this late in product cycle? Anyone else on the fence?

So,  I have a hard time deciding what to have for dinner let alone buying new irons.   The i210s check most of the boxes  of what I am looking for in irons.   I feel like I would be very happy with them however I would kick myself if just around the corner their new replacement comes to market.  I have heard rumours that they will not be replaced through this spring/summer but if you have heard otherwise ... let me know.    Anyone else feel “ stuck”  trying to decide on  the i210’s?   Now I guess a true WRXer would simply advise to buy now (i210’s) and then buy later.... newer version.     That might be an option or else I just sit on my thumbs wasting time for something that might not be available in the immediate future ... Thoughts? And thanks!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll put it like this, I just picked up some Ping Eye2s. They’re maybe 2-3 years older than me. I think you’ll be alright with the i210s

Don't get the i210's now unless you get a killer deal on them. Remember they'll be rendered unplayable if the i225's are released in the next few months.

It doesn't matter if the number remain exactly the same, new iron releases transform the last generation into piles of useless metal. 

I'm in the same position, want to change my irons this year, always played Ping, and looking at i210, as had the previous Ie1 irons..  I too, have heard about the possibility of a replacement, perhaps in July.. so have, for now, decided to hold off for a month or so, see if hear anything..  i210's came out 18 months after i200, it's been 3 years (in July) since the i210 so, accepting the pandemic changed plans, it's surely due the replacement..

I suppose I’d wait to see the replacement. Ping only discounts, usually, when the newer version comes out. As soon as the discount on the i210 hits, order them if that’s your preference. Just be aware that it seems they now put any custom orders on”older” equipment toward the end of the que. 

• Like 1

Maybe the backorder of multiple months (!) helps your decisions lol

• Like 1

Full WITB thread

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz 3 15*

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I just ordered a set of i210’s & 3.0 glides on 02/19.   Rep stated best case scenario for delivery would be end of March.  So I figure mid April 🤣 (Right after I get home from my first golf trip of 2021).

I test drove some P770s and reactively said “wow” out loud during the fitting....  the felt great, but dispersion was tighter with i210 in both directions (made the decision easier 👍🏼)

Driver G410 LST 10.5* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x
Fairway G410 3-wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide 3.0’s 50*, 55*eye2 grind, 60* +3/4”

Putter L.A.B. 2.1

Don't get the i210's now unless you get a killer deal on them. Remember they'll be rendered unplayable if the i225's are released in the next few months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

2 hours ago, realmfg said:

Buy a lightly used set of i210s on ebay or forum.  Then if the new ones come out and you want them, sell the i210.  Shouldn't lose too much on the 210s if you find a good deal. 

I agree with this, but i210s have been holding their value pretty well and move pretty quickly through the BST and on the bay. I've been looking for a set for about a month and most of the listings go within 24 hours if they're less than $100 a club.

It depends on a few things.

1. Have you hit them and if so are they the clubs you really want? If they are the best for you then its worth the wait.

2. How often do you change irons? If you change every year or two it may not be worth it. Sometimes the new models aren't always better just look at all the 2021 driver threads. Having said this PING typically improves the new models but that doesn't mean they will be better for you.

3. People have mentioned buying a used set but also are closer to retail value these days. If they are "the" set then order them to your specs as the 2nd hand set could potentially have addition costs. Grips, shafts, loft lies etc.

Just my 2 cents. Hopefully you find the right set and have a great golf season.

Edited by Simmer7

If you like them buy them. It's unlikely there will be much of a change in how the new ones play despite what we will be told. I played the I5, I15, I125, IE1 and I200 in succession. All with similar/same shafts. Once you accounted for slight changes in specs(slightly longer and slightly stronger lofts) they all played much the same. Playability wise the IE1 felt the best to me probably because they had a lower COG and felt better on slightly thinned shots. I liked the I15 second best followed by the I25, I200 and I5.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I don't know what took me so long to buy these. There is a reason it's one of the most played iron by non-staffers, played by every single LPGA staffer, and many on the PGA staff (Oosti, Hovland, Westwood, Hatton). I got mine new 4-GW new on ebay for $995. There are enough sets on ebay, I just waited for one w my shaft (DG 105 Reg). I play the G410's (Aerotech i95 R) and FL set G30's (CFS R), but in past have played i5 (could still play those any day), i20, meh, i25's, another set I could play any day, and the ie1's, for some reason fell out of love w the shape of those. But these, not sure what it is, just have that junoesque that is hard to describe. These are timeless and will go down IMO like the modern day Eye 2. A true classic as history will define it. Now remember, I am one that has strayed, but for never less than a half a season, in that I am a lifelong PING iron player. Unless it's a blade day, then it's all about bringing out my MP33's or 14's. But who knows, maybe I give the Blueprints a whirl!

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on these direct from Ping in early Jan. Wouldn't regret it even if the i225 dropped tomorrow. These will go down as a classic.

Taylormade Sim2 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro Orange 85

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1

I gamed i210s for 2 years.  They will go down in history.  They literally do it all. If they fit you and your game, good luck getting anything better.  I switched due to slightly thinner soles in the P770, but i210s are absolute magic.

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

22 hours ago, quine said:

however I would kick myself if just around the corner their new replacement comes to market.

From reading golf journal reviews and GolfWRXer user reports, I hear a common theme on the new-model clubs: "If you are playing non-XX irons, go ahead and get the XX-2. But if you already have the XX-1s, the switch isn't worth it."

The i200 and the i210 iron models both have a solid following. If it's a case of...

17 hours ago, Simmer7 said:

1. Have you hit them and if so are they the clubs you really want? If they are the best for you then its worth the wait.

You mentioned that the i210s "check most of the boxes" ... Which boxes are these?

If you are wanting i210s after actual exposure and (hopefully) at least a rough fitting, buy them.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

28 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

From reading golf journal reviews and GolfWRXer user reports, I hear a common theme on the new-model clubs: "If you are playing non-XX irons, go ahead and get the XX-2. But if you already have the XX-1s, the switch isn't worth it."

The i200 and the i210 iron models both have a solid following. If it's a case of...

You mentioned that the i210s "check most of the boxes" ... Which boxes are these?

If you are wanting i210s after actual exposure and (hopefully) at least a rough fitting, buy them.

I love my i210’s so much that I bought a set of used i200’s last year as a backup / practice set.  To me, they are VERY similar which proves your point of

”If you are playing non-XX irons, go ahead and get the XX-2. But if you already have the XX-1s, the switch isn't worth it”

Titleist TS2 D (10.5*) KuroKage Black DC 50 S

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) KuroKage Black DC 55 R

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei CK Pro Red 60 R

PING G410 Crossover (23.0*) Alta CB 70 Red R
PING i210 5-PW Blue Dot Dynamic Gold 105 R

Cleveland CBX-2 (50, 54, 58) Dynamic Gold 115 WF
Scotty Cameron Laguna Flo-Jet

IMO, the only thing you would be getting by waiting for the new release, whenever that may be, is a smaller bank account balance!  Honestly, look at all of the iron brands over the last several years, and let me know if there was a huge breakthrough or a game changing design.  Buy the i210s and be happy as the are solid irons that will work for you for years.  You are not gaining anything by waiting for the next new iron release, and in some cases the new release sometimes is not a good as the previous model.

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS3 15 w/PX Evenflow Blue 75

Titleist 915h w/Evenflow Blue 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW Pro Modus 120

Titleist Vokey SM8  50-54-58 

Odyssey Protype iX #1 34"

Thanks for the great suggestions.   I’m thinking along the same lines as whit1969 .   The i210 is a great iron.   I’m thinking that often the changes are more cosmetic then anything .   The i210 seems to flat out work.   I’m sure if I buy them which I will , I still will keep an open mind about replacing them with something newer or shinier.   Thanks for the feedback ! Much appreciated ! 

Talking again to the PING rep today. The i210 replacement won’t be released until 2022.  With that said, he claims there’s little evidence it will be markedly better (if at all) than the current model - its that good.  He mentioned blueprint and another model as well but I tuned  him out after the i210 news. Lol. 

Putter L.A.B. 2.1

Full disclaimer:  I get PUD pricing on PING so I’m heavily biased!  Also noteworthy, I can afford to play anything I want but still gravitate to PING regardless.  

Putter L.A.B. 2.1

On 3/1/2021 at 5:25 PM, realmfg said:

Buy a lightly used set of i210s on ebay or forum.  Then if the new ones come out and you want them, sell the i210.  Shouldn't lose too much on the 210s if you find a good deal. 

This, I just picked up a mint 2nd set for $750 cdn for 5-UW.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 60 TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fuji Pro 2.0 7X

Titleist TS3 19* Tensei Raw AV Blue X

Ping I500 4i, I210 5-UW TI S400

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54M/58L TI S400

Odyssey Strokelab 2-Ball 33"