2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 LPGA Drive On Championship (Mar 04 - 07)

15 hours ago, 18majors said:

@Stooch

Do you follow Draftkings?  What do you think of it?  

It's been a fantastic success as a business!  It went public less than one year ago in April 2020, and now has a market cap of $68.58 billions.

I'm pretty excited that there's this on-line betting outfit which is on shore and is bringing on LPGA big time.  Maybe they'll sponsor a LPGA tournament with a purse of $10.0 million.

Some interesting matches this week:

Jin Young Ko                       -112                          vs.                               Nelly Korda                         -118

Brooke Henderson              -125                         vs.                              Lexi Thompson                    -106 

I use their competitor Fanduel more often, both sites are more recognized for their fantasy sports options than straight betting.  I know on fanduel I can't use their the straight betting option.  I think because perhaps it's due to State regs. or I just haven't looked into it hard enough.  I use other sites for my straight betting options.

Fanduel/Draftkings original niche market was fantasy betting.  It basically works like this, all players depending on ability, ranking and chance of winning are assessed and given a monetary value.  You have a set limit of cash to use to buy various players for the event.  Points are given on various factors accomplished.  All the points collected by your various players are added together to give you a score.  They will pay out hundreds, thousands or ten's of thousands depending on the size of the fantasy event, they can get quite big.

The difference between fantasy and normal sports betting IMO, is fantasy is more suited for the number geeks, the "moneyball" type sports fans.  I enjoy fantasy sports betting cause it makes me take a deep dive into the numbers and makes me better at the straight bets.  The great thing about the fantasy sports betting is the wide variety of options, you can find FREE tournaments all the way to 100 dollars or even higher.  I think for the causal sports fan who would want to throw a couple bucks down, fantasy is much more enjoyable and really keeps you engaged watching a tournament.  During the NFL season for example I spend more time tracking all my fantasy players across the league than watching any one game lol

Fantasy betting is like the contest we are having but a little more involved but ends every week allowing uyou to start over the following event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks NBC, for having Morgan Pressel in the booth.  She is someone who's been inside the battlefield and has substances to share with us.  With Judy Rankin and Morgan, you've two of the best.  Can't wait to see both Judy and Morgan together at the USWO in Olympics Club!

Also, thanks for making Golf Today and Golf Central more informative than ever before.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Thanks NBC, for having Morgan Pressel in the booth.  She is someone who's been inside the battlefield and has substances to share with us.  With Judy Rankin and Morgan, you've two of the best.  Can't wait to see both Judy and Morgan together at the USWO in Olympics Club!

Also, thanks for making Golf Today and Golf Central more informative than ever before.

Listened to the coverage for about half an hour today and really liked Pressels work.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

Listened to the coverage for about half an hour today and really liked Pressels work.

Yes, she was excellent. Now there’s hope that we won’t have just Paige once Judy decides to retire. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Yes, she was excellent. Now there’s hope that we won’t have just Paige once Judy decides to retire. 

I don't think Paige is in NBC's future plan.

Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer, Christina Kim or even Natalie Gulbis; everyone is better than Paige hands down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I don't think Paige is in NBC's future plan.

Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer, Christina Kim or even Natalie Gulbis; everyone is better than Paige hands down.

I agree they’re all better, except Wie(umm, umm).

Paige was not let go in the recent purge and is still on some shows. Morgan will still play some and those others aren’t necessarily interested. I bet we see Paige on the West Coast since she’s relocated to Arizona. 

5 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Paige was not let go in the recent purge and is still on some shows. Morgan will still play some and those others aren’t necessarily interested. I bet we see Paige on the West Coast since she’s relocated to Arizona. 

Of course, we'll see Paige again this year; maybe even a little be next year.  But she's clearly on leased time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Who were all "let go" in the latest purge?  

As for Wie, I thought she was much better than I had anticipated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Yes ... I realize that.  But aside from Lisa, Gary and LT ... I cannot think of anyone else who was "let go"?

At least 400 people were let go. Just because they weren’t on air doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

https://www.morningread.com/news-opinion/feature/2020-10-19/changes-at-golf-channel-could-get-a-fuzzy-reception

1 minute ago, Golf Dino said:

Yes ... I realize that.  But aside from Lisa, Gary and LT ... I cannot think of anyone else who was "let go"?

I'm sure you knew Randell Mell was let go earlier; and then Justin Ray, who's the big honcho.  Paige Mackenzie wasn't laid off right away, but she wasn't brought over to Connecticut so she's on leased time from Day One.

Recently, Chantel McCabe was replaced by Kira K. Dixon.  So, the process is still ongoing.

1 minute ago, 18majors said:

I'm sure you knew Randell Mell was let go earlier; and then Justin Ray, who's the big honcho.  Paige Mackenzie wasn't laid off right away, but she wasn't brought over to Connecticut so she's on leased time from Day One.

Recently, Chantel McCabe was replaced by Kira K. Dixon.  So, the process is still ongoing.

Yes, I knew of those on-air personalities.  Randell has had enough years in to enjoy retirement.  But aside from the on-air personalities I referenced, I cannot think of who else was replaced?   I know that both Cara and Anna have been moved up to Stamford as has Damon or at least Damon has stayed on in the new Golf Today format.

Lydia with 14/14 fairways? 255 yd average? Shocked. Shocked I say. Lol. Only 13 greens? Double shock! Good start. 

No surprise to see Nelly and Jessica go low. Almost seem to have a home course advantage playing in Florida. 

Definitely surprised to see Jin Young at +3. A few miscues on her approaches, and a few burned edges puts her behind the 8 ball. I'm sure she'll bounce back to make the cut, but a long way to go to grab the trophy. 

Nice round by Jennifer, but will her putter stay hot? I'm not betting on it. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

26 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lydia with 14/14 fairways? 255 yd average? Shocked. Shocked I say. Lol. Only 13 greens? Double shock! Good start. 

No surprise to see Nelly and Jessica go low. Almost seem to have a home course advantage playing in Florida. 

Definitely surprised to see Jin Young at +3. A few miscues on her approaches, and a few burned edges puts her behind the 8 ball. I'm sure she'll bounce back to make the cut, but a long way to go to grab the trophy. 

Nice round by Jennifer, but will her putter stay hot? I'm not betting on it. 

I'm pleased to see the early season resurgence in both Lydia and In Gee.  They both started coming around last season.  Obviously to different degrees, but there were moments that they put together a couple of really good rounds only to have some setbacks on Sundays.   

Nonetheless, Lydia seems to be regaining confidence and that will only help her.  She has put on some distance!  It's not a big increase but it is significant for her.  

Jennifer Kupcho was also making some good strides last season too.  She was in contention at the KPMG last season (I believe it was the KPMG) and she seems to be picking it up again.   As far as her putting goes ... I'm not so sure that it will get "cold" per se.  Or rather, she does not seem to have outdone herself today.  She hit 12/14 fairways and 15/18 greens in regulation.  When a player does that, their putting becomes less of a factor ... though we really do not know the true story as the LPGA does not maintain stat like "proximity to the hole" so we really do not know how many feet/yards of putts she made.  

In Gee ...wow.  Averaged 267 yards on her driving holes/measuring holes.  That's about 20 yards over her season averages in year's prior.  She too seems to be playing with some renewed confidence.  She was still quietly dealing with injury over the past few years ... so if she has put that behind her and is swinging freely again, she could easily find herself in plenty of Top 10s and Top 20s this season.

Now, for me, I look at today's scores and my "heart" goes out to Muni He.  She missed the cut last week and today she posted an 82 with 37 putts.  If my memory serves me correctly ... (and the older I get the less confident I am), putting used to be one of the stronger elements of her game or so I recall from her collegiate days at USC.   She won't have too many more opportunities to keep her priority place let alone improve it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The measuring holes for driving distance are par 4 #14 and par 5 #18.

The #14 played 348 yards today; most players didn't go all out.  The #18 played 501 yards and there're big drives; In Gee Chun went 286 yards and Yealimi Noh 295.

That being the case, then it makes one shake their head.  Why would one use a short par 4 to measure drives?  At 348 yards (I'm assuming that was the actual), then I can see that many would use a wood or hybrid on the tee box ... just going for 220 - 240 yard distance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 18majors said:

@Stooch, @Golf Dino, @BadgerLin

Brooke had only 28 putts but she hit only 9 greens.

She had two 3-putt greens among those 28 putts.

It's hard to put putting statistics into context when we do not know the distance of the putts made and what her proximity to the hole was.  Mind you, some of my best round putting were when I missed lots of greens in regulation only to chip/bump them close to the hole and one-putting.  So I suspect that Brooke's iron game was off significantly or her driving was on the wild side, forcing her to play from lots of poor rough, etc.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

It's hard to put putting statistics into context when we do not know the distance of the putts made and what her proximity to the hole was.  Mind you, some of my best round putting were when I missed lots of greens in regulation only to chip/bump them close to the hole and one-putting.  So I suspect that Brooke's iron game was off significantly or her driving was on the wild side, forcing her to play from lots of poor rough, etc.  

Let's me share some light, and you tell me whether it makes sense:

1.   Any round with any 3-putt is poor putting, two is atrocious
  2.   She missed 9 greens and had only 8 one-putt greens, that's not good

10 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Let's me share some light, and you tell me whether it makes sense:

1.   Any round with any 3-putt is poor putting, two is atrocious
  2.   She missed 9 greens and had only 8 one-putt greens, that's not good

I can see how you may be inclined to think that ... and i do not disagree about the three-putts, but at the end of the day, 28 putts per 18 holes is a 1.56 putting averageThat's excellent ... statistically speaking.  Until one considers how many GIRs were in play.   IF she had 12 GIRs today with 28 putts that would put her into the range of 58-59 for a score (assuming that she didn't hack her way to get on the green by taking multiple strokes).  

But if your point you're trying to make is that Brooke did not have a good day, I think we'd all agree.  Any time she's not under par, is a bad day for her.   Two-three putts would have dropped her score to 72 for even par.  Not the worst of days, but below Brooke's standards. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Actually it was encouraging for while even though the score wasn't great but her irons took the day off an it was too much for her putting and short game.    She was  4 of 11 greens and one of those greens was a 3 putt lol.  She either 1 putt'd (once for bogey) or 2 putt'd for par through 10 holes once 11 hit she lost the putter lol.  The mistake was missing so many greens it was always bound to exasperate her struggles right now with the short game and putting.   Outside the need to stop 3 putting not much can be deduced from it as it's an outlier in as Brooke's green in reg percent is very rarely at 50% or below 70%

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

IF she had 12 GIRs today with 28 putts that would put her into the range of 58-59 for a score

I don't know what kind of math do you use, this is totally wrong.

If she had 12 GIR's, she missed 6 greens and needed 6 one-putt greens to stay bogey free.  If she had 28 putts, she would've used 6 of the 8 one-putt greens to stay even.

That means the best she could do is -2, unless she'd two-putt birdies on other par 5 holes.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2