2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Someone help a guy out please?!

byoshio82

I am ordering new clubs for the 2021 Season and I have a pretty good understanding of my specs. Here is some trackman data from my last fitting. What I am wondering about is I have access to order a new Driver, 3 wood and hybrid and I am unable to get fit locally and wondering what ventus I should order? AS you can see I could use a little help in the launch area but a little less spin. What I am pondering right now is do I order the SIM 2 Max or SIM 2 in a 10.5 with a Ventus Black 6X untipped or Ventus Blue 6X untipped. Same goes for 3 wood do I order a SIM2 or SIM 2 MAX in a 15* with a Ventus Black or Blue in a 7X. I have hit both drivers and fairways and prefer the max but that wasn’t on a launch monitor and didn’t have any X flex options so essentially all I have to go off is feel. Leaning towards the Max in a 10.5* & 15* with Ventus Blue 6X not tipped at 45” and Ventus Blue 7X not tipped at 43”

Pretty well decided I want to go SIM 2 MAX hybrid in a 19* with the Ventus HB Blue 9X. Looking for some guys whove made the switch from TOUR AD DI to a Ventus and what your experience and recommendations are. Appreciate the input!

Driver was an M3 10.5 set to standard with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X Black at a swing weight of D5.

image.png.8aa381bca51ce3755c288a2952320ba0.png

My 3 wood was a TS2 with a matching Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X playing at D5 also

image.png.d2ebb2a5328e6f0cf1079e3bd4255102.png

In case you're wondering I am going with Miura TC-201 4-PW with $-Tapers 130X's and Vokey SM8 Raw Wedges in 50/54/58 with DG Tour Issue S400's.

Edited by byoshio82
Updated info

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

Also still have the Graphite Design Tour AD DI shafts as backups. Just in case.

WITB - 4/2/24

• byoshio82 changed the title to Someone help a guy out please?!

@knudson81any input on this one? @Fujikura Golf what would you recommend given not a lot of X flex options to demo and with COVID even harder to find a place locally. 

WITB - 4/2/24

1 hour ago, byoshio82 said:

@knudson81any input on this one? @Fujikura Golf what would you recommend given not a lot of X flex options to demo and with COVID even harder to find a place locally. 

Your initial thought of ventus blue 6x and 7x would be a safe bet for sure! Also, go with VENTUS HB Blue 9X for hybrid....its amazing.

• Like 1

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

1 hour ago, Fujikura Golf said:

Your initial thought of ventus blue 6x and 7x would be a safe bet for sure! Also, go with VENTUS HB Blue 9X for hybrid....its amazing.

@Fujikura GolfYou guys rock thanks!!!

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

I have the same Ventus lineup -- Blue 6x (driver), Blue 7x (fairway), Blue HB 9x (utility) -- and love it. And I'm not going to dispute @Fujikura Golf's recommendation, but I just wonder, with those launch and peak height numbers, if you would do even better in the red, but same flex. Your spin numbers seem perfect to me, as a blend of distance and stability, so the main issue is launch. At just 80 feet, your 3w might become a little one-dimensional. 

Edited by uglande
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

6 hours ago, uglande said:

I have the same Ventus lineup -- Blue 6x (driver), Blue 7x (fairway), Blue HB 9x (utility) -- and love it. And I'm not going to dispute @Fujikura Golf's recommendation, but I just wonder, with those launch and peak height numbers, if you would do even better in the red, but same flex. Your spin numbers seem perfect to me, as a blend of distance and stability, so the main issue is launch. At just 80 feet, your 3w might become a little one-dimensional. 

I ordered them untipped in the Max Heads so I am hoping going 10 + grams lighter and in a higher launching head it will give me some added height & launch on both the driver and 3W. As you are right my 3 wood is extremely one dimensional majority of the time. I kept my AD DI's as backups but might have to flip them and some other items on BST for the Ventus red setup for both.

WITB - 4/2/24

I game the SIM2 - I initially bought both the SIM2 and SIM2 Max so I could test them on course and SIM2 was a better fit.  SIM2 Max does feel more like the M5/M6 - more of a mashed/muted feel on impact, but it did not launch higher.  It was not a good fit for me....SIM2 Max spun more but launched a full degree lower - very evident on the course.  Still hit some great drives but if it would have actually launched higher - I could have played a ball that spun less and taken the extra forgiveness and spin would still be under control.  The fact that it launched lower though just doesn't fit with any of the shafts that I own and increasing the loft just increased the spin.  SIM2 was an easier fit for me and plenty forgiving.

SIM2 is higher launching and less spin

SIM2 Max is lower launching and more spin

Read Rory's fitting notes and the TM rep said something along the lines that they're still trying to figure out the SIM2 Max.

WRX: How did SIM2 Max perform for him, and what was the difference between that and SIM?

AR: It was actually quite interesting: Our new SIM2 Max continues to show us new things. The speed versus SIM2 was apples to apples but launch (angle) went down a touch and spin went up a touch. It performed very well for him but just a few ticks shy of what he got with SIM2.

https://www.golfwrx.com/646953/details-of-rory-mcilroys-switch-into-taylormade-sim2-woods-2021-bag-setup/

Also - not sure if you've played shafts untipped in Taylormade heads but they definitely do it for a reason.  I have a Matrix 7m3 Black Tie X-Flex that I bought to put into my TM driver a while back (before I knew they tipped driver shafts and inch) and it literally plays like a regular flex and it's a stout shaft.  You might consider going just 1/2" soft instead of the full inch (or better yet, letting them do their standard tipping and drop a weight class, i.e. 70g down to 60g).  I can't keep the ball on the course with that Matrix shaft without it being tipped.  As soon as the epoxy dried and I gave it the waggle test I knew something was wrong!

Edited by keith723
  • Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

Ventus Blue for you since your launch angle is a tad on the low side for your ss.  Spin rate is ok for both so I wouldn't worry too much.  Thing with the MAX line is that while it is more forgiving, it's also going to give you more spin as well.  Double edged sword.  Either the SIM 2/MAX could work for you.  It's really a crap shoot though and of course getting on a launch monitor would be your best bet. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 3/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, keith723 said:

I game the SIM2 - I initially bought both the SIM2 and SIM2 Max so I could test them on course and SIM2 was a better fit.  SIM2 Max does feel more like the M5/M6 - more of a mashed/muted feel on impact, but it did not launch higher.  It was not a good fit for me....SIM2 Max spun more but launched a full degree lower - very evident on the course.  Still hit some great drives but if it would have actually launched higher - I could have played a ball that spun less and taken the extra forgiveness and spin would still be under control.  The fact that it launched lower though just doesn't fit with any of the shafts that I own and increasing the loft just increased the spin.  SIM2 was an easier fit for me and plenty forgiving.

Read Rory's fitting notes and the TM rep said something along the lines that they're still trying to figure out the SIM2 Max.

WRX: How did SIM2 Max perform for him, and what was the difference between that and SIM?

AR: It was actually quite interesting: Our new SIM2 Max continues to show us new things. The speed versus SIM2 was apples to apples but launch (angle) went down a touch and spin went up a touch. It performed very well for him but just a few ticks shy of what he got with SIM2.

https://www.golfwrx.com/646953/details-of-rory-mcilroys-switch-into-taylormade-sim2-woods-2021-bag-setup/

Also - not sure if you've played shafts untipped in Taylormade heads but they definitely do it for a reason.  I have a Matrix 7m3 Black Tie X-Flex that I bought to put into my TM driver a while back (before I knew they tipped driver shafts and inch) and it literally plays like a regular flex and it's a stout shaft.  You might consider going just 1/2" soft instead of the full inch (or better yet, letting them do their standard tipping and drop a weight class, i.e. 70g down to 60g).  I can't keep the ball on the course with that Matrix shaft without it being tipped.  As soon as the epoxy dried and I gave it the waggle test I knew something was wrong!

Damn I went ahead and ordered a SIM2 Max 10.5 with a Ventus Blue 6X, SIM 2 MAX 15* Ventus Blue 7X and a SIM2 MAX 19* hybrid. Luckily I can swap heads out at my local golf shop if need be.

WITB - 4/2/24

On 3/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, keith723 said:

Well I was able to get to the driver in time to switch to the SIM2 and he's going to tip the shaft for me. Also adding some hot melt to the head in order to get swing weight dialed and help me avoid the left side. Thanks for the great input!

WITB - 4/2/24

On 3/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, byoshio82 said:

Well I was able to get to the driver in time to switch to the SIM2 and he's going to tip the shaft for me. Also adding some hot melt to the head in order to get swing weight dialed and help me avoid the left side. Thanks for the great input!

Glad to share my experiences and I've hit just about everything.  On tour seems to be the case too, lots of Sim2's and Sim Max are fewer (drivers).  I think the shaft combos you have are going to play well...Ventus still have some feel and flex to them so tipping them will certainly let them play to spec in TM heads.  Should pair really well with the Sim Max FW/Hyb.  I hope it all fits you well and I'd be pretty optimistic, SIM2 and SIM2 Max lines are fantastic.

Edited by keith723
  • Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"