Graphite shaft cut off saw blade

I've been a club building hobbyist for 25 years.  I'm switching from steel shafts to MMT 125 graphite shafts in my irons this season.  I've never shafted irons with graphite so when cutting new shafts I have just used my small cut off saw with a blade that works on steel shafts.  If I reshaft anything with graphite its usually just a couple clubs in which I just use a small hand saw with a blade meant to cut graphite.  

My question is are there any club makers out there that know of a cutt off saw blade I can use on graphite shafts so I'm not having to do the entire set by hand??

Thanks,

Headcase

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a regular abrasive blade works fine with a chop saw.  Putting a wrap of tape around where you are cutting prevents splintering.

Tungsten carbide rod hacksaw blade, rotate the shaft so you only cut from the outside of the shaft towards the middle. Perfect cuts every time, very quick.  Just make sure to account for the width of

I've always used a table saw or miter saw with a good sharp blade, with a few layers of masking tape around the shaft at the cut line. Probably cut 50 shafts this way over the years.

Posted Images

I just built a set of MMT's and used this wheel from Lowes.  Fit my harbor freight chop-saw and worked great.  The blade was fairly thin and the shafts didn't splinter at all.  I've used it for those plus all my other graphite shafts and it's worked great.  I'm just an amateur club builder though.  

image.png.55256126c641716f95f1e95b5651865b.png

• Thanks 1

TM Sim 8 Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade Sim 15 Accra TZ6
Titeist 818h2 19 Ventus Blue
Srixon Z7 Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX
Vokey SM8 50/54/60
TM Spider X

I've always used a table saw or miter saw with a good sharp blade, with a few layers of masking tape around the shaft at the cut line. Probably cut 50 shafts this way over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

I use a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder.  Cuts steel and graphite easily and cleanly.  A similar wheel in a chop saw or bench grinder would keep your cuts square.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

You should be fine with what you have but put a wrap of tape around where your cutting as an extra precaution for splintering.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

As this thread demonstrates, there are lots of different methods.  Personally, I use either a cutoff blade in my bench grinder, or when I'm feeling too lazy to install that blade, I just use the grinding wheel itself.  The corner of the wheel does a fine job of safely cutting through the shaft.  The edge will be uneven so be sure to cut above the mark and then use the flat side of the wheel to dress down the shaft to your tape line.  One downside to this method is dust generation...and it assumes you have a bench grinder of course.  No shop is complete without one so...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I use this in my cut off saw...no problems:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-aluminum-oxide-cut-off-wheel-42400.html

I might try the mitchell linked above at some point since it's thinner just to minimize dust but the harbor freight ones work just fine for me.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G410+ 9* Rogue Silver 70TX                                           Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Cobra Speedzone Tour 5 16* Rogue Silver 80TX                   Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110X                                                   Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Steelfiber 125X                                         Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Steelfiber 125X                                    Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

3 hours ago, dmbrill719 said:

I use this in my cut off saw...no problems:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-aluminum-oxide-cut-off-wheel-42400.html

I might try the mitchell linked above at some point since it's thinner just to minimize dust but the harbor freight ones work just fine for me.

Those wheels are fine for a chop saw cutting both graphite and steel shafts. Wrap the graphite shaft with a few layers of masking tape before cutting. Great tool (cuts both steel and graphite) for the home hobbyist is:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-55-amp-cut-off-saw-61204.html

• Like 1

@JCAG - yes, I agree.  I picked up both the saw and blades from Harbor Freight a few months back.  Perfect for my needs as a home hobbyist.  So much easier than cutting by hand, which is what I was doing.  More precise as well.  Definitely money well spent.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G410+ 9* Rogue Silver 70TX                                           Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Cobra Speedzone Tour 5 16* Rogue Silver 80TX                   Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110X                                                   Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Steelfiber 125X                                         Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Steelfiber 125X                                    Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

On 3/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, JCAG said:

Those wheels are fine for a chop saw cutting both graphite and steel shafts. Wrap the graphite shaft with a few layers of masking tape before cutting. Great tool (cuts both steel and graphite) for the home hobbyist is:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-55-amp-cut-off-saw-61204.html

+1 for this saw. I use it for both steel and graphite, and have never had anything but a perfect cut with it. As others have mentioned, some masking tape around the graphite shaft at the cut point is a good idea.