2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon ZX7 - should I buy before fitting if deal is REAL good?

PaulNY

Hey all.  So, I am scheduled for a bag fitting in 2.5 weeks as I am rewarding myself for turning 50.  Also, when I retired from the Army years ago, I promised myself to do this someday and completely replace my old ‘13 Callaway Z forged irons and remaining bag.  In preparation, I had a chance to hit both the Mizuno JPX 921 Tour and Srixon ZX7 the other day at a local indoor facility “for fun”.  The owner rocks the Mizuno’s but encouraged me to hit the ZX7’s as he gets a lot of requests for them.  So I did........and holy moly, the ZX7 is by far the nicest club I’ve ever hit.  The Mizuno was no slouch, but the ZX7 For me was more pure even when I toed it a little.  I’m a bogey golfer, with occasional par/birdie.  Now, here is where it gets interesting.  I have a chance to buy a brand new, unboxed set of 4-PW ZX7’s for $900 which are standard lie/loft/length.  They have the NS Modus Pro 120, which I have read is a hell of a shaft, and golfpride velvet grips (I think this is pretty standard for a stock 4-PW purchase).  With tax, a new set custom ordered or at a retailer runs me roughly $1250-ish.  Do I hop on the available $900 deal now, or wait until fitted at which time the order then could take longer than 5 weeks or more (currently 3-5 but will increase as seasons start soon)?  I realize the fitting could yield different results and even club/shaft recommendations but I’m in love with this Srixon.  I need to relax and be open minded, but is this too good to pass up?  Any/all advice is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for long post.  

Its really a question of what shaft do you end up choosing, if it is a good fit . If you already know that, then you have to decide, As far as lie and loft adjustments, these are forged and can easily be taken to a fitter for final adjustments. 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

You can easily bend those to spec. I would say that the Modus 120 is a nice shaft but I find it is best with a certain type of swing. Not great for those that pull down a ton from the top etc as the butt and mid are so soft. Anyways, no matter there. If you want the real experience and you do this very infrequently, I'd argue that you may regret not going through the whole process. It's also a lot of club for a bogey golfer in a full set. The long irons are no joke in the Srixon 7 series. I'm scratch and for myself I'd consider doing the 4 and 5 in the ZX5 for a bit of extra help. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, shaft is the question (assuming length is right - not a believer in extensions) —- easily the risk of a more than $300 fix if you get it wrong. 

But so what about the money - take the time to get fit.  Lots of benefits. 

I’d wait - plenty of shafts I’ve read about being good that weren’t good for me in side by side testing. You’re good enough to get it right and will regret it immediately if you don’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great point puttingmatt.  Honestly, I know little about shafts.  Will the stock shaft be ok?  I’m not sure.  Ping said I’m a 2 degree up 15 years ago or so.  Lord knows what I am now.  Good to hear I can easily have them adjusted.  My scheduled bag fitting in a couple of weeks will run roughly $600 with gas included (6 hour round trip) down to westchester county NY.  My brother in law swears by this guy at a very exclusive club.  He pushes Titleist apparently, but states he is open minded.  Of course, I’m fortunate now that I can afford nicer things in life, but I’m still frugal.  I am told the bag fitting is worth it.  

Tiger and Hawk, any concerns with huge delays for custom clubs right now?  I have no idea what the PGA fitter will recommend, but Taylormade states on their site that several clubs if ordered now won’t ship until mid July.  Srixon says the ZX7 can’t be ordered right now.  Don’t know about the other players, but in two weeks after the fitting and order, it then could be another many weeks/months before my order would shift.  That’s mainly the reason I was considering these stock ZX7’s for $900.  And, I’m sure I’m probably better off with the ZX5 in the 4-6 probably.  

side note:  are there any Srixon dealers on the forum that can order for me or have access to inventory?

Edited by PaulNY

1. I vowed not to order irons without hitting them on turf and based on 7i ordered a set of zx7s from dealer one week ago, lol. 
2. Orders are being taken through dealers. 
3. Wait could be awhile, plan on 4-5 weeks Srixon is saying but who knows. 
4. With the new piece of info about zx5s I’d wait. You may be better off with all zx5s or blended or zx7. 
5. Can’t decide for you, clubs are a big investment.  At some point you’ll get your clubs, in the meantime I guess you have to decide what several weeks mean in terms of finding the best irons for you. 

You’ve waited 50 years. What’s a few more months. Do it right!  You will appreciate your clubs more, and most likely play better. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

Shaft is too important with irons, feel like with adjustable drivers you can make more shafts work but with irons you are locked in aside from bending.  I've seen dramatic differences in spin and ball flight with shafts in irons so I'd recommend not buying if you've never hit the modus 

If you think they’re a great deal, I say, buy them. If they don’t end up working for you, I’m sure you’ll be able to resell them at a modest loss, at worst, considering that these clubs seem to be the bee’s knees if the reviews on GolfWRX are any indication 

TM Sim Max, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

I love my ZX7s but wouldn’t recommend buying any club with Modus 120 unless you have actually hit it.  I’m not terribly shaft sensitive and have tried to like it twice.  It feels great with a full swing but not on partial or knockdowns.  Some folks say it helps them keep launch and spin in check.  Others that it launches too high and spins too much...  It is clearly a fantastic shaft for boat loads of folks but appears to display markedly different characteristics to different swing types.

• Like 3

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Buy them 🙂

A club in the hand is worth two on a boat overseas.  They are in such short supply, get them out quickly and play 3 or 4 rounds.  If they are for you, keep them.  If not, move them on the forum market for the same discount you got.

I love fittings, I really do.  They make a ton of sense and can help you get close to optimized.  I have done 2 with CC and 3 with a local guy, all with Trackman.  On the two sets from Club Champion, neither lasted in the bag for a season.  

I have a combo set ordered now that I hit on trackman for about 10 minutes after I was done gapping my gamer set.

Maybe I am different, but I have to get a set on the course a couple of rounds to know if they are the ones. I have played for a while and have a pretty good idea of what will work for me shaft wise.  Heads I know what I look for.  So, I don't buy blind but I also don't demand to hit everything before I buy or always have a fitting.  Lastly, I can change out a set of shafts with new tip weights and grips in an afternoon if needed.

Besides, it is WRX and I am going to move on to the new toy soon enough regardless of how well the clubs fit me.

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Get fit.

i dont say that because this is golfwrx and part of the blood oath you take after your 1000 post is to tell people they need to get fit anytime they ask a question about clubs.

I say it literally because you said it was a goal of yours to get fit, and I think that’s a reasonable goal.... saving a few weeks and $300 on clubs that aren’t fit for you is fine! Nothing wrong with a deal and taking a chance on a set of clubs you haven’t hit... but that’s not what you said you wanted.

My only concern is what options does this fitter have? Is it just big OEMs? Does he at least have mizuno? 

I don’t love country clubs for getting fit... some of them have really talented staff who can do it, but most have limited options. In my experience, the best fittings are at local shops that carry everything. My local one just built 4 trackman setups to keep up with demand... it’s simply their business model to do lots of fittings, and thus they have better fitters. 

that’s not to disparage your brother in law...

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I would say fitting is only as good as one's swing is that particular day, which for most double digit hc'ers varies, maybe a great deal.

I would look at demoing clubs and taking them to the course for more than a day. Also, component clubs are an option too if you really want to dial in the equipment as there are so many options. Shafts can play a large role in how well a club feels. Component clubs are generally exponentially more economical, so for the same investment there are many options that can be tested in the field.

Also, for a bogey golfer I would look at cast clubs as opposed to forged unless they are really forgiving. I play a small cast blade and mishits don't hurt near as bad as forged, especially in the cold.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated.  

@Myherobobhope  the fitting is at a country club with a guy that is a certified Titleist guy, but does have other equipment. I did test drive the JPX921 tour before I hit the ZX7 seven. Personally, I hit the ZX seven better even on miss hits. The club face is also just a tad bigger which gave me extra confidence.  Granted, I hit both clubs for around 15 shots.  The fitter told me over the phone that he plays the T100 and thinks I would like them more than the ZX, so I wonder if he is trying to push Titleist on me before I even get there? My brother-in-law swears by this guy, but he is also a person that buys expensive suits and likes to finer things in life. Originally, I had a fitting set up with club champion which I thought would be more Then fine and save me $200 for a bag fitting.  Again, my biggest fear is that I wait another 2 1/2 weeks to get fitted and then the order wait time is eight weeks or longer. Of course, I live in central New York where currently the temperature is 12° and we got a small covering of snow this morning.  I’ve always been a strike while the iron is hot type of guy, and hope that if I don’t buy this available set of irons, I won’t wait too long after a fitting.

I'd buy them, get fit, and buy whatever I was fitted into as well. That's the WRX way😎

If you play standard length shafts already, then they might be worth a go. You can bend lies a couple of degrees easily, and the shop might do it for you for free if you make the purchase.

The problem, as has also been pointed out, is the Modus 120 shaft. It gets a lot of love, but isn't for everyone. @TigerInTheWoods's description of players who are not suited to Modus 120 matched my experiences.

You might also find the 4i a bit much.

But, on the bright side, if you don't like them, you'll have little problem shifting them for a good price.

So when I said I'd buy them AND still get fitted, I wasn't really joking.

• Like 1

I would say go for it simply because it seems like a deal.  Seems like your really like the feel which counts for a lot.  You can always adjust specs by taking it in to a club builder and having them bent since they are forged.  You can always pull the Nippons if they don't fit your swing and sell them here or on ebay. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, PaulNY said:

Kevin told me his Srixon rep is giving him a few ZX7’s for me to hit, and if it’s the one, his rep says 3 weeks from build to my door.  Can that be right?  Do certain orders have priority depending on who orders them?

I don't think anyone here can judge the guy's credibility.

I think you are beyond the forum at this point - trust the guy or not, up to you, but also trust the fitter at that point to give you a shaft recommendation.  Good luck!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I don't think anyone here can judge the guy's credibility.

I think you are beyond the forum at this point - trust the guy or not, up to you, but also trust the fitter at that point to give you a shaft recommendation.  Good luck!

I am definitely committed to going, regardless if I buy the current available ZX irons.  However, there is something very unique and exciting about having my own custom ordered set of irons. I am sure they would be worth the wait, and thanks to all of the responses on this great forum.  After watching that video, I am now almost certain that I will just wait and buy what fits me best. After all, this guy fit Bill Murray…… How can I go wrong 🙂

Edited by PaulNY
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PaulNY said:

Hey all.  So, I am scheduled for a bag fitting in 2.5 weeks as I am rewarding myself for turning 50.  Also, when I retired from the Army years ago, I promised myself to do this someday and completely replace my old ‘13 Callaway Z forged irons and remaining bag.  In preparation, I had a chance to hit both the Mizuno JPX 921 Tour and Srixon ZX7 the other day at a local indoor facility “for fun”.  The owner rocks the Mizuno’s but encouraged me to hit the ZX7’s as he gets a lot of requests for them.  So I did........and holy moly, the ZX7 is by far the nicest club I’ve ever hit.  The Mizuno was no slouch, but the ZX7 For me was more pure even when I toed it a little.  I’m a bogey golfer, with occasional par/birdie.  Now, here is where it gets interesting.  I have a chance to buy a brand new, unboxed set of 4-PW ZX7’s for $900 which are standard lie/loft/length.  They have the NS Modus Pro 120, which I have read is a hell of a shaft, and golfpride velvet grips (I think this is pretty standard for a stock 4-PW purchase).  With tax, a new set custom ordered or at a retailer runs me roughly $1250-ish.  Do I hop on the available $900 deal now, or wait until fitted at which time the order then could take longer than 5 weeks or more (currently 3-5 but will increase as seasons start soon)?  I realize the fitting could yield different results and even club/shaft recommendations but I’m in love with this Srixon.  I need to relax and be open minded, but is this too good to pass up?  Any/all advice is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for long post.  

fitting is very over rated....if the #'s look good on the monitor, grab the $900 deal.....fitting is not worth another $350 at age 50....you can get a hybrid and a bag with the $350.....

if you are in love with the Srixon....get them.....if you go for a fitting and hate the club that is suggested, you will not play well....at age 50, get what you love, enjoy the game and take the extra $350 and go play some extra golf, go to dinner a few times or buy some extra golf gear......get the srixons....hell of a club and forged at the best forging house in the world....ENDO

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 2

Put a deposit on the clubs.... Then scour your area for a test club with the Modus 120. Take a few swings and see if you like it. 

Any club, fit to you or not will take a little adjustment to get comfortable with it. Unless you are very tall or really short, std loft lie and length is something that should work for you. Worst case scenario is someone adjusts the lie for you. 

Edited by Popeye64

11 hours ago, PaulNY said:

Great point puttingmatt.  Honestly, I know little about shafts.  Will the stock shaft be ok?  I’m not sure.  Ping said I’m a 2 degree up 15 years ago or so.  Lord knows what I am now.  Good to hear I can easily have them adjusted.  My scheduled bag fitting in a couple of weeks will run roughly $600 with gas included (6 hour round trip) down to westchester county NY.  My brother in law swears by this guy at a very exclusive club.  He pushes Titleist apparently, but states he is open minded.  Of course, I’m fortunate now that I can afford nicer things in life, but I’m still frugal.  I am told the bag fitting is worth it.  

6 hour drive to get fitted? DONT DO IT.......i was fit by the pro at sleepy hollow and he was great and he does push titleist but Titleist are amazing clubs.....the guy is really good but anyone can decipher data on a computer screen. The positives are the fitting area is outdoors and hitting off grass is the ONLY place you should get fit, not on a synthetic mat inside a store....

I ended up with 712CB's and the 910 driver at the time i was last there.....the pro suggested I get Ap3's and TBH he couldnt have been more wrong as i have played the best golf of my life with the CB's which were considered so much less forgiving....i even chose a stiffer shaft than the pro recommended......so, the point is get what YOU love and a fitting s not the end all be all.....to me fitting is SOOOOO subjective and should only be a guide......a fitting doesnt help you with your game around the greens which can lead to better scoring..... I would urge you to save the money.....i have said it for years, fitting is great for the elite players and has SOMe benefits for amateurs with HDCP's in the 10-20 range but anything above that, lessons is the way to go.....as long as you know your limitations and do not play a club Tiger uses when you are a 20 HDCP, fitting can be a big waste of money.....get the clubs you love......those clubs fit a wide range of player and i really belive you will regret spending the $600 on a fitting. 

53 minutes ago, PaulNY said:

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated.  

@Myherobobhope  the fitting is at a country club with a guy that is a certified Titleist guy, but does have other equipment. I did test drive the JPX921 tour before I hit the ZX7 seven. Personally, I hit the ZX seven better even on miss hits. The club face is also just a tad bigger which gave me extra confidence.  Granted, I hit both clubs for around 15 shots.  The fitter told me over the phone that he plays the T100 and thinks I would like them more than the ZX, so I wonder if he is trying to push Titleist on me before I even get there? My brother-in-law swears by this guy, but he is also a person that buys expensive suits and likes to finer things in life. Originally, I had a fitting set up with club champion which I thought would be more Then fine and save me $200 for a bag fitting.  Again, my biggest fear is that I wait another 2 1/2 weeks to get fitted and then the order wait time is eight weeks or longer. Of course, I live in central New York where currently the temperature is 12° and we got a small covering of snow this morning.  I’ve always been a strike while the iron is hot type of guy, and hope that if I don’t buy this available set of irons, I won’t wait too long after a fitting.

On the timing front... it sounds like you aren't someone who is going to change irons anytime soon once you get fit, so what is 4 weeks for irons you are going to play for 5 years? I 100% get the "but I want it now" argument but I'd highly recommend taking the time to do it right. 

That said, if you liked the ZX7 a ton, make sure you are going to a fitter who can fit you into ZX7s. You might like the T100s more, but who knows? This is one of the reasons I like stand alone retail shops for fittings... they will have their loyalties, but you can at least try a little of everything... My guess is the guy at the club will have PING, Titliest, Callaway and TM... He MIGHT have a Cobra or Mizuno fitting cart... The only reason I mentioned the Mizuno fitting option is they are more prevalent at country clubs and the most similar to Srixon clubs... 

Fitting is a weird industry, and Country Clubs have conflicting incentives when it comes to selling clubs... Your guy is a Titliest staffer and has a ton of incentives to fit you into Titliest clubs... I'm not saying he won't do his best, just understand he will be biased towards getting you into Titliest. He will also be limited in what other heads and shafts he has on hand.

In terms of Club Champion... I don't recommend it, but I assume the ones in New York are better than the ones in Kentucky... their process is a little weird, and somehow "best" and "most expensive" seem to always end up being the same (from what I've heard). 

I don't mean to sh*t on all your options here, I'm just channeling my inner New Yorker and calling it how I see it! 

Seriously, though... if you really like the ZX7, go find someone who fits Srixon clubs and get fit by them. They should have some other options for you to try, but they should also have the ability to build out a good match with the Srixons... Get specced out into the correct length, lie and loft... get shafts that fit your swing and call it a day. 

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I enjoy fittings, but became very sceptical of the worth.  After my first fitting I got the clubs and had terrible results on the course. Took the same clubs to a different fitter and he said I was in the wrong shaft, haha.  This was a real disappointment and I wasted a ton of money.... My last fit was with my coach and I could have used 4 out of the 5 shafts we tried, no problem. Honestly, if a place let me try a couple shafts in the head I wanted on a simulator, I would probably see the same performance on the course as going through the whole fitting process.  Especially irons.  Shafts in irons is more of a feel thing for me and if I see good flight and numbers Ill do just fine. 

• Like 1