Info on starting my own golf shop

Morning all!

Looking for some advice on a career change. I currently work in finance and dread every work day. Been dreaming lately of opening my own golf shop (pro-shop services, club repair, fitting bay/simulator perhaps in the future?). At the moment, I am no more than a golf addict with some amateur club-building experience under my belt from tinkering with my own gear, and fitting knowledge gained from everything I've read and watched online. So by no means a pro/expert.

From following this forum, it seems like some of you have your own shops. Wondering what kind of advice you would give to someone who is looking into starting out. Tips on equipment and tools? What kind of certification/training would I need? What to focus on in the beginning? Anything helps. Just trying to gather info at this stage to see if this makes any sense. 

Cheers!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Better sit down for this one... Do you have the resources to do this? If not no big deal but you will need to find them.  Are you a pretty creative person? Business isnt a one size fit

Pat   My advice is do not do it. That said, approximate cost to open a fully equipped shop will be about $80K. It will take years to get your investment back. Some real numbers but not inclu

Great hobby, but I’ve regripped enough clubs to know I don’t want to do it all day. you would have to develop a companion revenue source to club repair upscale driving range with indoor bays

I was going to do this about 15 years ago but never did.  One thing that I have picked up from talking to those who have done it is that it helps tremendously to be in a more upscale, golf crazy area.   Doing it in an ordinary town is a lot harder.

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini
3 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

I was going to do this about 15 years ago but never did.  One thing that I have picked up from talking to those who have done it is that it helps tremendously to be in a more upscale, golf crazy area.   Doing it in an ordinary town is a lot harder.

Living in a major Canadian city. 6 months of winter is definitely a hindering factor that I've considered. Thats what kind of drives the simulator bay idea as well to get people into the shop when golf courses are closed.

It's a small market but there are shops that make an absolute killing. The best shops I've seen are attached to large and excellent driving ranges with high quality grass tees, short game areas, putting greens, and covered/heated mats for cold weather. Simulators are great but they are not a substitute for a great driving range in my experience. I'm sure the start up cost for purchasing land and building it out is enormous but they just print money with hundreds/thousands of $12 buckets every day combined with the full pro shop services you would offer.

You may interested in checking out the book Hireko Modern Guide to Golf Clubfitting Book. I bought the book just hoping to learn a little more about club technology, and was surprised by how much they talk about this topic. It's nothing groundbreaking, but he does touch on topics like obtaining inventory, obtaining a clientele, marketing to various skill levels, and so forth. Could be a good resource at the very least.

You being a finance guy, this might be second hand info but do your due diligence. Know your market, number of potential customers, overhead expenses, taxes, break even numbers, location and space needed, floorplan and equipment needed, services to be offered, internet page, initial investment and extra expense money for first couple of years, staff etc. Basically it is a business and should be treated as such. Figure out your niche and why they will come to your place instead of another which will basically be your marketing plan. 

As far as technical knowledge, you will probably want to take club repair and fitting classes from Maltby or Mitchell first and see what other learning experiences will be offered from your potential vendors. 

Good luck

• Like 1

Maybe put together some equipment for clubmaking and see if you can start to build a customer base with regripping and reshafting projects before diving in full time.  Also, my dad owns some commercial real estate and had a tenant open a golf simulator business.  This individual did not have a lot of experience in the industry, and had to put up about 200k in equipment cost to get started for three simulator bays.  Long story short, with that much overhead up front and without a good marketing plan he did not do very well.  All markets are different, but I would really do my due diligence before investing the capital.  If your market does not have the client base, it’s going to be difficult task.

23 minutes ago, klaw said:

You may interested in checking out the book Hireko Modern Guide to Golf Clubfitting Book. I bought the book just hoping to learn a little more about club technology, and was surprised by how much they talk about this topic. It's nothing groundbreaking, but he does touch on topics like obtaining inventory, obtaining a clientele, marketing to various skill levels, and so forth. Could be a good resource at the very least.

Thanks! Gonna check that out

9 minutes ago, hoffa72002 said:

Maybe put together some equipment for clubmaking and see if you can start to build a customer base with regripping and reshafting projects before diving in full time.  Also, my dad owns some commercial real estate and had a tenant open a golf simulator business.  This individual did not have a lot of experience in the industry, and had to put up about 200k in equipment cost to get started for three simulator bays.  Long story short, with that much overhead up front and without a good marketing plan he did not do very well.  All markets are different, but I would really do my due diligence before investing the capital.  If your market does not have the client base, it’s going to be difficult task.

Definitely more research and planning to be done. I figured starting any kind of golf business isn't easy to break into the industry so having the most info possible and being prepared and knowledgeable is a good place to start

My advise would be start small and ramp up if things work out. Golf business like any other has far more failures than successes. Dumping a bunch of money into a business theory at this point, never great idea.

Also if you are going to be a club builder, you need to be a great club builder. If you're no better than the guy working at the big box golf store, you will have no chance b/c you aren't going to beat them on price. You need to be better than everyone else out there in your market!

This forum is a great place to start as there are more knowledgable club guys here by far than anywhere else on the web.

16 minutes ago, Adam C said:

My advise would be start small and ramp up if things work out. Golf business like any other has far more failures than successes. Dumping a bunch of money into a business theory at this point, never great idea.

Also if you are going to be a club builder, you need to be a great club builder. If you're no better than the guy working at the big box golf store, you will have no chance b/c you aren't going to beat them on price. You need to be better than everyone else out there in your market!

This forum is a great place to start as there are more knowledgable club guys here by far than anywhere else on the web.

Thanks for the advice. Spot on with the GREAT club builder point. The big box retailers in our area are terrible when it comes to service and quality. Goal would be to position myself a superior product to them, but need to hone the skills first. Thats why I follow this Forum, tons of great stuff!

Better sit down for this one...

Do you have the resources to do this? If not no big deal but you will need to find them. 

Are you a pretty creative person? Business isnt a one size fits all kinda deal. Each one has its own unique problems. 

Is there room in your market? Is golf equipment/indoor sims in your area underserved and projected min 5-10% growth the next 5 years?

Next id suggest taking the class through Golfworks/Maltby on club building and repair. 

Next is first and foremost its a small business NOT A HOBBY! 
(unless you have enough cash stashed to live out life) . 
-DO NOT “hook up friends” just bc you can. That crap will eat away at your money AND more importantly your time!

Entrepreneurs DONT DO MOST OF THE WORK! They identify the problems, figure out the solutions, create the systems and hire other people to do the work. 

-READ READ READ the books!

-7 Havits of Highly Effective People

-Dale Carnagie- Win Friends

-1 Page Marketing Plan
-Pumpkin Plan

-Go-Giver series 

-Plus many more. Dont ever stop reading/learning. If Warren Buffet still does it a min of 8 hours a day than you should do a min of 1-2 hours a day

GET A MENTOR!!!! or 3 Preferably a successful one with retail experience. You could even start doing that today!

Also cultivate relationships w/other businesses and influential people that serve your same target market. 

All in all its business. Its pretty easy bc its all about people. Take care of the right people and the numbers will take care of themselves. Numbers are important but in todays culture too much stress is put on the numbers. Your numbers are like the gauges in your car. They will let you know where things are and if anything needs fixing. Other than that dont waste too much time on them. Keep your eyes on the road always looking for new ways to better serve your top customers. 

Are you going to be price, quality or convenience?? 

Lastly its a business. It can be challenging and you WILL have 100+ hour weeks unless you already have endless resources. Specially if this is your first go around with owning/operating a business. 
-You will fall down and get hurt.

-You will have many sleepless nights 

But like a child it has the potential to give you the most satisfying feeling ever if done right.

While a bit morbid you just have to ask yourself

“If i were on my death bed today would i regret not opening up that shop?” 

NOW lastly and most importantly take everything i just typed and forget it. It was free advise so you probably wont do much with it.

“We only pay attention to what we pay for”. Where the term “my 2 cents came from” bc thats about the value people put on it. 

Hopefully im wrong bc more than anything in the world i HATE seeing business owners struggle more than anything and it really isnt that difficult. 

FWIW Im currently working on business number #5 and #6 at the ripe age of 36.

#1,2,3 i learned many lessons..

#4 had some pretty good success and bigger lessons

#5,6  ill probably learn more lessons 

each one was a big improvement over the last

Its only a failure if you didnt learn anything... You can ALWAYS make more money but you cant get back your time. 

The goal is NOT to serve everyone. You cant be friends with everyone. No deal is better than a bad deal. When those situations arise tell them your comp might be able to better serve them and let them deal with the grumpy [email protected]$tard!!

Edited by KAndyMan
  • Like 3

Don't do it you envision it as your primary income and you can't afford to lose your investment or start up costs. 

It's a tough business for the following reasons:

a) As far as repair, the only thing most people do is get new grips. A few will re shaft clubs. The local golf chain will already offer the same services. If there is not a local golf chain store in your locale, it's because there already are not enough customers.  

Green grass shops already also do this work. 

b) As far as fitting, the local golf chain already has the market cornered, see above, and both the green grass shops and retail chains already have the fitting days. 

c) The cost of stocking inventory like a golf chain is prohibitive, provided you get accounts with OEMs. The golf chains will beat you up on selection.  

d) If you want to build clubs for people, the market is limited.  Most people don't want component clubs built by an expert club builder. Almost everyone wants cool OEM stuff. 

To give you an example, in the SF Bay Area, a place with year round golf, lots of golfers, two well established golf chains, and lots of green grass shops, there is ONE successful off course store. It's been there a long time.  Competitors have come and gone. Two guys run businesses out of their houses after they couldn't make the rent in retail locations.  I know one of the guys who didn' t make it.  He is a good club builder but the market for more than one off course store does not exist. 

Edited by PJE
6 minutes ago, JCAG said:

Pat

My advice is do not do it. That said, approximate cost to open a fully equipped shop will be about $80K. It will take years to get your investment back. Some real numbers but not including selling simulator time:

RETAIL SHOP P&L.xls 18.5 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for the feedback, thats super informative (way more detail then I thought I'd get from this forum)! I get the "Don't do it" advice. Its definitely not the world's most profitable or easiest business to start. Its just been a thought that I have had recently and all this info helps me look a the possibility in a realistic way 

Great hobby, but I’ve regripped enough clubs to know I don’t want to do it all day.

you would have to develop a companion revenue source to club repair

upscale driving range with indoor bays for winter and a liquor license has potential 

• Like 2

Ping G710 4-PW

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*-54*-60*

G400 19* PWR 80
G400 14.5* PWR. 75

G400 10.5 PWR 65
Snell MTB

Check out Bryan LaRoche, he started small and eventually got to the point of opening up a one bay fitting store in Jacksonville. First he learned to fit and build at club champion which I think made it an easier transition. Then the pandemic happened and he started building a customer base on instagram where people would send him or order clubs through him to build in his garage (saved store front cost). Once the lockdown lifted and he had the customer base to sustain it he opened his store front. I doubt he would say it was easy but I think he maintained a lower startup cost while building his brand and customer following. He's talked about his journey on a number of golf podcasts including his own.

The figures are for a full time shop, open 6 days a week. A full time shop in a northern climate will have a hard time covering expenses from November to March, meaning you will go negative during those months

It take years to build a clientele so if you equip the shop properly, you can expect to lose or at least make little profit for the first few years. Most started out with a part time operation and later wen full time. Many had other income like retirements, highly paid spouse, etc. coming in so they could survive during the lean times.  So many stories on this chat about club shops not longer in business.

Just now, pingfool said:

Great hobby, but I’ve regripped enough clubs to know I don’t want to do it all day.

you would have to develop a companion revenue source to club repair

upscale driving range with indoor bays for winter and a liquor license has potential 

Living in Canada, an indoor simulator business has crossed my mind. A sort of TopGolf style atmosphere without the full range. Not many places like that exist around my area, and if they do they are low-quality. Only thing is the overhead to start a business like that would be huge with the price of a simulator and most people who come to those places are there for a good time with friends and booze, not the quality of the sim. 

3 minutes ago, enfuego said:

Check out Bryan LaRoche, he started small and eventually got to the point of opening up a one bay fitting store in Jacksonville. First he learned to fit and build at club champion which I think made it an easier transition. Then the pandemic happened and he started building a customer base on instagram where people would send him or order clubs through him to build in his garage (saved store front cost). Once the lockdown lifted and he had the customer base to sustain it he opened his store front. I doubt he would say it was easy but I think he maintained a lower startup cost while building his brand and customer following. He's talked about his journey on a number of golf podcasts including his own.

I follow him and thats been one of the inspirations for this idea! Respect to him for the hustle and for being successful (from what we see on IG) but him being in Jacksonville vs Canada is an advantage I wish I had. Guess its time to finally move down south!

Wow, what a perfect thread. I too have been thinking about doing this. I live on island and there are ZERO simulators or clubfitters. Golf is pretty popular these days, we have only 1 night range and it's full every night now because covid has brought a bunch of younger new people to the game (wish I was set up already). 

I thought about opening a shop, but then thinking of the market here it's weird but we do get a ton of tourists here that mostly come to play golf. Now of course that won't rebound til next year realistically but there is a decent market. 

So before I ramble, we have exactly 2 golf shops here. One is at the range and is run by a nice gentleman but he doesn't ever really have much to choose from. I don't blame him because it costs money. The other is a sporting goods store, they have a much better selection. 

I think I should study fitting/club building, invest in a monitor and pair up with 1 of the shops to offer a more comprehensive service and fitting for the first time on our island. 

Edited by TJ83
  • Like 1

Frankly, I would not do it. You be better off in lawn care, building a client list of repeat customers, week in ,week out. Club repair, other than grips, which anyone can do, I do not see a successful path. 

That said, you could be the next big TXG style of clubbuider. With monitors and such to do custom builds, and a brick and mortor location, inventory, I think it could add up quickly.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
8 hours ago, patm3331 said:

Morning all!

Looking for some advice on a career change. I currently work in finance and dread every work day. Been dreaming lately of opening my own golf shop (pro-shop services, club repair, fitting bay/simulator perhaps in the future?). At the moment, I am no more than a golf addict with some amateur club-building experience under my belt from tinkering with my own gear, and fitting knowledge gained from everything I've read and watched online. So by no means a pro/expert.

From following this forum, it seems like some of you have your own shops. Wondering what kind of advice you would give to someone who is looking into starting out. Tips on equipment and tools? What kind of certification/training would I need? What to focus on in the beginning? Anything helps. Just trying to gather info at this stage to see if this makes any sense. 

Cheers!

I understand dreaming and idealism, but do a well constructed business plan before you spend money.  I've seen too many people start retail businesses and go belly up a few years later, losing all their savings. 

It's NOT likely you're going to get much in the way of factual counsel from discussion boards.  If anything, online-fitters may or may not help, but they are NOT well versed in merchandising techniques, marketing or advertising, or keeping a brick & mortar storefront operating in 4-seasons while online vendors don't keep inventory, and sell at ridiculously low margins, even drop-ship at much lower prices than a retail store owner can get.  Then there's this; finding golf OEM's willing to front you their products without huge cash outlays.  It's likely to be pay as you order.  Since the 70s, I have started multiple businesses, sold four at profit and still CEO of the oldest (founded 40+yrs ago) and it's grew beyond my expectations and teetering on acquisition.  

A buddy had a long-standing notable retail golf store in a fantastic location, only one in our city.  He had all the right technology, space and had been doing great right up to the cusp of online vendors becoming a hit.  About five years later he closed down operations, couldn't even sell the business.  Notwithstanding his loyal customers, volumes of people visited the store, took advantage of his kindness, services etc but when it came to buy, bought from online vendors at much lower prices.  Today, only Big well established storefronts with big budgets, offshore resources and marketing assets survive.  Good luck -

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

What about doing something like getting an old food truck and setting up a shop in it, traveling around to mini tour/am or even good size charity events in your area? 
Unless someone is already doing it?

Might be a decent way to MVP your idea and build a client list pretty quick. Could do it mostly on the weekends while you hold down your finance job.

Completely random guess numbers:

GC2/Trackman or even Skytrak $1,500-15,000

Last years model ipad $500

Older yet decent truck-$5-10k

Club building/repair supplies- $1-3k

Tools/misc operating costs $1-5k

(probably forgetting something)

Seems like you could be up and running for $9k-33.5k

I wouldnt exactly call the launch monitor and truck an asset but you could potentially get a decent chunk of that change back if you dont see any potential by the end of the summer. Heck the club building stuff like grips go in a heart beat on the BST here. 

Heck that would position you in the convenience category and that my friend you can charge extra for!! 

Edited by KAndyMan
  • Like 1

As Pepper said and I will expand. The main thing that killed the small time club shop was the Internet and it did it in 3 ways:

1. It showed the general public what a clubmaker's cost was. No longer could a clubmaker get $100 for installing a $40 driver shaft. No longer could a clubmaker get $6 for installing a $3 grip. The profit margins went down the toilet.

2. Many cellar/garage clubmakers started having an online presence that made them look like great clubmakers with large operations. They were happy selling clones and making $75 on a set of 8 irons. No way a full time, standalone shop could do this.

3. Online golf chats started telling/showing people how to do things. No longer was the local clubmaker the only one that knew how to do things. Free advice was everywhere.

The above issue were not only happening to golf shops. It happened to many small businesses.

I've seen more golf shops close over the past 10 years than open, and I live in a pretty heavily golf focused location where you can play year-round. There was one shop I used to go to exclusively for all of my repairs and purchases. The owner was a great guy and an excellent club tech, but he had to close up shop about 7 years ago. He just couldn't compete long term with all of the big box stores and online retailers (think TGW) offering cheaper prices, free shipping, and constant discounts. 

Unfortunately, the general public just isn't all that knowledgeable when it comes to golf. So they will look at something like Golf Galaxy where they can get a club re-shafted for $20 compared to a small business where it will cost $40. Yes the small business will most likely do better work, but the 15 handicaper Joe Schmo doesn't care about that. He just wants the cheapest deal....

Basically to have any chance at making it you have to find a way to appeal to more than just the hardcore golf fanatic/gearhead. You have to appeal to juniors, seniors, women, men, beginners, + handicappers, and everything in between. 

Edited by Abh159

MAybe getting a career coach and find out where your perfect finance job is.    No one wants to work a job they hate, its prison.   Once you do that or while you are doing that, is there a smaller public course where you could “work “ out of?  No rent, no overhead I can think of a few courses around me where the pro shop stopped selling clubs, seems they gave up trying and now it’s just some lady behind a register and a few sleeves of balls, could you stock them with some old cleaned up sets?  Some old putters ready to play etc?  Put a sign out for regrips and repairs, pick up the clubs, repair them and return them, do your own marketing to grow your business and drive these people back to the golf course.  Maybe you work a deal where they keep 25% of the sales of your clubs and repairs.   They are going to need to see how it benefits them. Maybe this side gig is enough to keep you happy in your 9 to 5 job.  You can begin to see if this idea has traction or does it need to die a quick death.

Good luck w whatever you do...

Edited by weavej1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

Everyone wants to be a business owner until they become one and realize they’re working 7 days a week and trying to figure out which account payable is getting a check and which one needs to be pushed back. 

Regardless of that, if you’re about it, do it. Worst case scenario is it doesn’t pan out, you lost some money, and you get back into the industry you came from. At least you gave it a shot which is more than 99% of others can say as they daydreamed about whatever concept their entire lives. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9* Accra TZ6 M5
Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX
Taylormade UDI 2 PX Smoke 6.5
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey SM7 52/56/60 S400
Taylormade SpiderX Flowneck Stability Tour

I would say do your homework and if you still have the passion, the desire, the funds and belief that you will succeed then go for it.

As an avid golfer also living in Canada I would be very concerned about going deep down the simulator route. Prior to Covid it was fairly easy to find a time in a simulator and my feeling is that 3-5 years from now that may be the same case.

Whatever career route you decide , best of luck and keep us posted!

OP I live in Waterloo, ON.

if you want to check out a nice Sim facility, with lots of bays, high quality fixturung, good food and beverage, pay a visit to Golfplay in Kitchener. It’s just a minute off the 401 so easy to get to if you are in GTA.

Are you by chance on the Toronto Golf Nuts forum ?

You could solicit some opinions there.

I have a full golf shop at home and would never consider making a business out if it.  I only do my own work and occasional stuff for friends.  There is only so much you can charge for your work, and golf guys like to talk, before and after they pickup their stuff.  Not worth my time.  After you’ve changed 100 grips, the novelty is long gone. Let Golftown do it for $2 or whatever they charge.

My instructor friend, Kris McGowan at PowerGolfPerformance in Kitchener, has really the only private instructional facility in the area that I am aware of.  He has a local longtime club-builder, John Wade at Precision Golf, working out of his facility.  Both guys are constantly booked with lessons, fittings, and work.  They are complimentary services to one another.  Is there anyone you can partner with to create more of a draw to both your respective services ?

Edited by ARL67

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 4-GW with Steelfiber i110cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
Set #3: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
Set #4: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw