Anyone else own blades even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

I’m guilty! To me a gorgeous blade is like a piece of art. I’ve owned Titleist 695MBs, 660s and Mizuno MP60s. Two of my all time favorites are Mizuno MP14s (when I first started playing and going into golf shops I’d always go admire them on the rack) and Titleist 620 MBs. As a 10 hdcp., my JPX 919 forged are my every day clubs. But I sure appreciate the beauty of a beautiful blade 😍

Edited by TIScape
  • Like 3
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife's way out of my league, too, but I've managed to stay with her for 26 years.   Blades, by comparison, easy peasy.

There's not a club on the market that MtlJeff is not good enough to play. 

Posted Images

When I bought my combos, I knew the blades were a stretch, but not much. If I miss, it sucks. But it's motivating for me to hit clean shots and I have. My new irons are a straight muscle back set and I have until May to earn it. I think I will.

Maybe I wasn't "good enough" when I bought them, but I am now 3 months later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

30 minutes ago, lefthack said:

When I bought my combos, I knew the blades were a stretch, but not much. If I miss, it sucks. But it's motivating for me to hit clean shots and I have. My new irons are a straight muscle back set and I have until May to earn it. I think I will.

Maybe I wasn't "good enough" when I bought them, but I am now 3 months later.

What combo set do you own?

I know they’re not blades, but I’m struggling with the idea of buying P790’s or i210’s. They would be the most blade like irons I’ve ever had. I’ve only played Ping forever. Started with Zings and moved into G series after that. Stayed there until now.  I’m not sure I can handle not having the forgiveness. Pretty good iron player, but I’m concerned the misses will be drastic

Big Bertha B21 Driver 9* VeloCore Black 6X

Sim Ti 3W EvenFlow Black 75X

Sim Max 5W EvenFlow Black 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

SIM Max 6H EvenFlow Black 85X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 54 & 58

Ping Vault 2.0 B60 Copper

• TiScape changed the title to Anyone else own blades even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I know they’re not blades, but I’m struggling with the idea of buying P790’s or i210’s. They would be the most blade like irons I’ve ever had. I’ve only played Ping forever. Started with Zings and moved into G series after that. Stayed there until now.  I’m not sure I can handle not having the forgiveness. Pretty good iron player, but I’m concerned the misses will be drastic

I love the look of the P770s. The 790s are a little too chunky for my taste. i210s are a great looking iron with some forgiveness. I’d say off the top of my head, the 770 and i210 and a closer to each other than the 790 and i210. 

Edited by TIScape
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, TIScape said:

What combo set do you own?

Originally I got the Nike Vapor Pro Combos, but everybody seemed to think the Nike VR Pro Combos are better. So I just pieced together a 4-PW set that I only took to the range today. I will play them tomorrow morning. So far I really like them. They certainly look better.

• Like 1

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

2 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Originally I got the Nike Vapor Pro Combos, but everybody seemed to think the Nike VR Pro Combos are better. So I just pieced together a 4-PW set that I only took to the range today. I will play them tomorrow morning. So far I really like them. They certainly look better.

Great looking irons!

11 minutes ago, TIScape said:

I love the look of the P770s.

I really like these as well. I committed to buying a set of Byrdie Golf Design irons for my next set. They are doing a run of 15 lefties, so one are mine.

bdg-silver-left-upright.png

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

8 minutes ago, TIScape said:

I love the look of the P770s. The 790s are a little too chunky for my taste. i210s are a great looking iron with some forgiveness. I’d say off the top of my head, the 770 and i210 and a closer to each other than the 790 and i210. 

I’m used to chunky since I’ve always played G clubs. I’ve got G710 now and I’m not crazy about them. Just can’t decide if I wanna make the jump to something smaller. But in the same breath, I really wanna try something smaller. I’m in a golf pickle 😂 

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

6 minutes ago, NCDuffer said:

I went from Ping Gmax irons to Maltby TS-1s about a month ago and I should have done it sooner.  They get through turf much easier and I actually know where the ball met the club.  The only thing I think I’ve lost is a little distance on a bad toe hit.

Just got rid of my GMax. Bought the G710 and don’t like them. I think I’m in the same boat as you. I just need to jump ship and go for it

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

I have some inexpensive blades Acer XV Tour with the 4 and 5 being the XV Pro cavity version. I have Apollo shafts in them and they have a nice kick to them. While the blades aren't forged they are 304 steel and are as soft as some blades I have played but they don't really hurt on mishits. I have never hit any other irons better in 15 years of golf. I shoot in the 90's mostly because of poor driving but hope to soon change that.

• Like 2

Macgregor M38 SK Fiber 85g X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Tour/Pro 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X

Gamed RAC TP mb in the past and now New Level 623-M now.  Funny thing is that both are longer heel to toe than traditional blades making them more forgiving.  Although my ball striking can be suspect at times,  I think I'm good enough to game these.  Blades are sexy and minimal offset turns me on.  😍

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

26 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Forgiveness is overrated.

You are forgiven. 51683a_f50c879448b845bfb7feb71ef51393e5~

• Like 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

My backup set are Mizuno MP32s.  I take them out for a few rounds each year.  

I accept that I may not score as well with the 32s (primary gamers are MP54s).  I lose some distance when I miss the face low or towards the toe.  Not by much, but it costs me a few strokes a round.

That being said, IMO there is no better feeling in golf than flushing a blade.  🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

i210s are smaller, but they have plenty of forgiveness.  I had standard apex and hot metal pros prior to them and the i210s are much more accurate for me.  They offer a good amount of forgiveness with precision.  They dont go as far as my older irons but yardages are on point. Phenomenal irons!

Edited by realmfg
  • Thanks 1

When I started golf over 20 years ago, I bought into the "blades will make you a better player quicker" mantra and bought a set of FG-17s and Wilson Staff 1971 Button Backs.  Boy did a I make a mistake but kept them just in case as my swing got better (which it did).

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 52 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have a set of 680s.  I was not good enough to play them when I started but through deep concentration/focus, better distance control, superior turf interaction, and the ability to control ball flight (right-to-left, left-to-right, high, medium, and low) I am now good enough to play them.  GIR has gone from ~7 to 18.

• Confused 1

I flip flop between my set of MP-54's and MP-29's. Can honestly say that my score doesn't vary much at all using either of the two. I'm typically scoring 95-100, so I'm nowhere near what you'd call "good enough for blades" that being said, most of my lost strokes are from everything other than my iron game. I love the look and feel of a blade, and to my game, they aren't a detriment. That being said, in the 29's I stop at 5 iron then move into hybrids, with the 54's I can get up into the 4 iron if I so choose. But in the 29's, that 4 iron... it scares me.

• Like 2

Found a set of Ping Blueprints at such a great deal that I couldn't pass up. I have no business playing them going from SGI to them but they look so good. Had one session at the range and it wasn't a total disaster. Really enjoyed hitting them though I've lost feeling in a few of my fingers. Not sure why 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

TM Sim Max D, UST Mamiya Helium

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping G 5-UW, AWT 2.0 Stiff

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

I've also found that it's nice to have a 49 degree club that is labeled "Pitching Wedge."  Now, the club actually pitches whereas other 49 degree clubs will gap (long or short) from time to time.  But it is a bummer when a greenside pitch catches a hot spot and ends up in the back bunker.  

• Like 1