Anyone else own blades even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

TiScape

9 hours ago, kmay__ said:

These live on the club racks in my basement, I aspire to take them to the course one day... 🤣

20191203_230936.jpg

I miss the MP4's!

Since then the Mizuno blades have bulked up a bit and for me, they are less appealing at address 

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

On 3/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, JermWRX said:

Just got rid of my GMax. Bought the G710 and don’t like them. I think I’m in the same boat as you. I just need to jump ship and go for it

The club fitter built a 7 iron and I had it over a month. Hit a bunch of range balls and 45 holes.  If I hadn’t of done it that way I don’t think I would have as I always thought I needed a large sole.

12 hours ago, boggyman said:

Forgiveness is overrated, play them suckas!!!

So I always wanted to try a reverse combo set.  I'm crazy and obviously not playing competitively but hear me out...

Long irons in BLADES:

- Sweetest feeling strikes to be had on lower lofts, less glancing blow

- Lowest expectations man, low.  Forget scoring.  I'm probably gonna miss target anyway, so I can miss a little worse but have a chance for the pured blade.  Getting it close is like icing on the cake.  Pretty, ego clubs! 😍

Mid irons in player CB:

- Sanity creeping in but still want great feel.

- Mid expectations, need control and confidence 

Short irons in CB maybe GI:

- Strike not as sweet as it becomes more of a glancing blow with higher loft

- High expectations.  Just want point and shoot in scoring range, like GIs that can still flight down.  Don't care for pretty at this point.

Wedges in whatever:

- Same as above.  I play CBX and (at least placebo wise) feel it gives a ton of stability on off center hits with enough versatility.  I know the higher the loft the less the perimeter weighting is needed, but just lemme play!

Mad setup hahaha

Edited by joostin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

The Mongo Combo. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 minutes ago, lefthack said:

The Mongo Combo. 🤣

There you go 😋

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

1 hour ago, joostin said:

So I always wanted to try a reverse combo set.  I'm crazy and obviously not playing competitively but hear me out...

Long irons in BLADES:

- Lowest expectations man, low.  Forget scoring.  I'm probably gonna miss target anyway, so I can miss a little worse but have a chance for the pured blade.  Getting it close is like icing on the cake.  Pretty, ego clubs! 😍

Mid irons in player CB:

- High expectations.  Just want point and shoot in scoring range, like GIs that can still flight down.  Don't care for pretty at this point.

Wedges in whatever:

- Same as above.  I play CBX and (at least placebo wise) feel it gives a ton of stability on off center hits with enough versatility.  I know the higher the loft the less the perimeter weighting is needed, but just lemme play!

Mad setup hahaha

I think it's pretty clear why you're not playing competitively 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, joostin said:

Long irons in BLADES:

Mid irons in player CB:

Wedges in whatever:

Mad setup hahaha

Seriously though can GI really help for short irons other than being oversize?

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

21 hours ago, uglande said:

Playing blades is like having sex without a condom. It's riskier, but so much more satisfying. 

Quote of the year here on WRX!

When i got my blades bent to the same specs as my ping i20s, my handicap dropped 7 strokes. Weird results but im very happy with it.

7 hours ago, chipa said:

Seriously though can GI really help for short irons other than being oversize?

Honestly don't know for myself, never gave GI a real fair shake.  I could see it though for those that get along with wide soles - if shape of sole agrees with their swing - and the bigger size of course.  One day I'll seriously try GIs (maybe with the bladezzz)!

• Like 1

don't know about forgiveness, just use blades @ mizuno mp20mb. feedback upon contact tells you exactly what is wrong. I'm not playing for money, so why not use the hardest equipment out there? besides modern blades are quite easy to hit. I don't use hybrids either, its driving iron and long iron off the deck.

Edited by is200LS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, zoltan231 said:

When i got my blades bent to the same specs as my ping i20s, my handicap dropped 7 strokes. Weird results but im very happy with it.

I don't think its all that weird.  I went thru the same thing when I switched to Golden Rams 20 years ago.

Amusingly, I dropped into single digit territory when I switched from then-modern metal woods to persimmons, in the summer of 2008.

Golf is a funny game.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have never felt like their is a huge difference in “forgiveness” in irons and so I’ve never thought you have to be “good enough” to hit blades.  If you miss it you miss it. They all shank the same.  I hit better shots with blades, always have and the feedback and flight control can’t be matched. I dinked around trying cb’s for a few years and I don’t think I’ll ever play anything but a forged blade again. I’ve never seen any benefit using anything else for my game. Key is use what’s best for you. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Most times when I use my Cleveland HB Turbo all-hybrid set I tell myself I'm not good enough to play them. My scores will attest to that. 

If golf required being "good enough" then I'd have to find another game, as would the majority of guys I play with. 

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Orange Hog said:

I've got a set of Srixon Z-Forged that I freaking love.  They aren't as long as my ZX7's but the feel is amazing and the front/back dispersion is just stupid consistent.

The Z Forged is another one I wish was in lefty. Those look so good and could combo with the ZX7.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 3/4/2021 at 2:21 PM, uglande said:

Playing blades is like having sex without a condom. It's riskier, but so much more satisfying. 

LOL One way of putting it.

Another way of putting it is that playing forged blades is like dating a slim, sexy, smoking hot chick. She's so beautiful just one glance at her turns you on. Walking down the street with her makes heads turn and other guys jealous. She's highly strung, high maintenance, slightly psychotic and scarily unforgiving which keeps you on your toes. But all of that is worth it just for the ecstasy of making love to her.

Playing large, chunky, cast GI clubs on the other hand is a bit like dating a frumpy, plain looking fat chick. She's low maintenance,  forgiving, never busts your balls and you feel very comfortable and relaxed around her. Only problem is you're not that attracted to her and sex is very much take it or leave it. 

So what sort of golfer are you? Do you seek the safe but boring domesticity of cast GI clubs or do you crave the thrill and excitement of forged blades? Only you can decide. 😉

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

1 hour ago, kiwihacker said:

LOL One way of putting it.

Another way of putting it is that playing forged blades is like dating a slim, sexy, smoking hot chick. She's so beautiful just one glance at her turns you on. Walking down the street with her makes heads turn and other guys jealous. She's highly strung, high maintenance, slightly psychotic and scarily unforgiving which keeps you on your toes. But all of that is worth it just for the ecstasy of making love to her.

Playing large, chunky, cast GI clubs on the other hand is a bit like dating a frumpy, plain looking fat chick. She's low maintenance,  forgiving, never busts your balls and you feel very comfortable and relaxed around her. Only problem is you're not that attracted to her and sex is very much take it or leave it. 

So what sort of golfer are you? Do you seek the safe but boring domesticity of cast GI clubs or do you crave the thrill and excitement of forged blades? Only you can decide. 😉

👏 so much thought. 

Enter the funky blade GI combo (I'll stop now:)

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Anyone else drop two large on GI clubs even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

You won't see me drop two large on ANY clubs. 🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

To purists ... are ZX7 blades? .. I class them as YES but I also toss in Blueprints 

• Confused 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

21 minutes ago, lefthack said:

You won't see me drop two large on ANY clubs. 🤣

In a round a bout way, my point is we are "not good enough" for this game with whatever gear we carry. I don't why traditional MB's are always singled out for this. $300 putters are everywhere and no one can putt. Vokey wedge sets everywhere, no one has super solid short game. I spend $45 a dozen on my Pro V's, I lose them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I play what I like. I bought my Nike combos irons because I wanted to play them and my game responded. I am buying the BGD's because I think they look awesome and I want to support the little guys. Will I be "good enough" to play them? Not likely. Will I play them? I plan to game the hell out of them and eventually I will be.

But they are also $450, not $2k. 🤣

• Like 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Theres probably no way to know unless you take the leap... but are blades really that hard to play? I dont play blades but i play the next best thing and im having no issues at all. Im actually striking my irons the best i ever have and by no means am i.... an elite striker or the ball... im not some hacker named bill though. Sorry to the bills that are hacks. Playing the mp 20 mmc which are virtually the same size as the mp 20 blades.

IMO it's mostly in folks heads. It's easier to flub with a blade and off hits won't go very far. But my first set of clubs were as unhelpful as any golf club could be and I was kind of competitive with them.

I upgraded years later to a much more forgiving club, but as I decided to play more now, I am going back for the workability. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW