Anyone else own blades even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

9 hours ago, kmay__ said:

These live on the club racks in my basement, I aspire to take them to the course one day... 🤣

20191203_230936.jpg

I miss the MP4's!

Since then the Mizuno blades have bulked up a bit and for me, they are less appealing at address 

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 52*

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Mizuno RB Tour

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife's way out of my league, too, but I've managed to stay with her for 26 years.   Blades, by comparison, easy peasy.

There's not a club on the market that MtlJeff is not good enough to play. 

Posted Images

On 3/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, JermWRX said:

Just got rid of my GMax. Bought the G710 and don’t like them. I think I’m in the same boat as you. I just need to jump ship and go for it

The club fitter built a 7 iron and I had it over a month. Hit a bunch of range balls and 45 holes.  If I hadn’t of done it that way I don’t think I would have as I always thought I needed a large sole.

12 hours ago, boggyman said:

Forgiveness is overrated, play them suckas!!!

So I always wanted to try a reverse combo set.  I'm crazy and obviously not playing competitively but hear me out...

Long irons in BLADES:

- Sweetest feeling strikes to be had on lower lofts, less glancing blow

- Lowest expectations man, low.  Forget scoring.  I'm probably gonna miss target anyway, so I can miss a little worse but have a chance for the pured blade.  Getting it close is like icing on the cake.  Pretty, ego clubs! 😍

Mid irons in player CB:

- Sanity creeping in but still want great feel.

- Mid expectations, need control and confidence 

Short irons in CB maybe GI:

- Strike not as sweet as it becomes more of a glancing blow with higher loft

- High expectations.  Just want point and shoot in scoring range, like GIs that can still flight down.  Don't care for pretty at this point.

Wedges in whatever:

- Same as above.  I play CBX and (at least placebo wise) feel it gives a ton of stability on off center hits with enough versatility.  I know the higher the loft the less the perimeter weighting is needed, but just lemme play!

Mad setup hahaha

Edited by joostin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

The Mongo Combo. 🤣

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

1 hour ago, joostin said:

So I always wanted to try a reverse combo set.  I'm crazy and obviously not playing competitively but hear me out...

Long irons in BLADES:

- Lowest expectations man, low.  Forget scoring.  I'm probably gonna miss target anyway, so I can miss a little worse but have a chance for the pured blade.  Getting it close is like icing on the cake.  Pretty, ego clubs! 😍

Mid irons in player CB:

- High expectations.  Just want point and shoot in scoring range, like GIs that can still flight down.  Don't care for pretty at this point.

Wedges in whatever:

- Same as above.  I play CBX and (at least placebo wise) feel it gives a ton of stability on off center hits with enough versatility.  I know the higher the loft the less the perimeter weighting is needed, but just lemme play!

Mad setup hahaha

I think it's pretty clear why you're not playing competitively 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, joostin said:

Long irons in BLADES:

Mid irons in player CB:

Wedges in whatever:

Mad setup hahaha

Seriously though can GI really help for short irons other than being oversize?

Macgregor M38 SK Fiber 85g X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Tour/Pro 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X

7 hours ago, chipa said:

Seriously though can GI really help for short irons other than being oversize?

Honestly don't know for myself, never gave GI a real fair shake.  I could see it though for those that get along with wide soles - if shape of sole agrees with their swing - and the bigger size of course.  One day I'll seriously try GIs (maybe with the bladezzz)!

• Like 1

don't know about forgiveness, just use blades @ mizuno mp20mb. feedback upon contact tells you exactly what is wrong. I'm not playing for money, so why not use the hardest equipment out there? besides modern blades are quite easy to hit. I don't use hybrids either, its driving iron and long iron off the deck.

Edited by is200LS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, zoltan231 said:

When i got my blades bent to the same specs as my ping i20s, my handicap dropped 7 strokes. Weird results but im very happy with it.

I don't think its all that weird.  I went thru the same thing when I switched to Golden Rams 20 years ago.

Amusingly, I dropped into single digit territory when I switched from then-modern metal woods to persimmons, in the summer of 2008.

Golf is a funny game.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I have never felt like their is a huge difference in “forgiveness” in irons and so I’ve never thought you have to be “good enough” to hit blades.  If you miss it you miss it. They all shank the same.  I hit better shots with blades, always have and the feedback and flight control can’t be matched. I dinked around trying cb’s for a few years and I don’t think I’ll ever play anything but a forged blade again. I’ve never seen any benefit using anything else for my game. Key is use what’s best for you. 

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

1 hour ago, Orange Hog said:

I've got a set of Srixon Z-Forged that I freaking love.  They aren't as long as my ZX7's but the feel is amazing and the front/back dispersion is just stupid consistent.

The Z Forged is another one I wish was in lefty. Those look so good and could combo with the ZX7.

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

On 3/4/2021 at 2:21 PM, uglande said:

Playing blades is like having sex without a condom. It's riskier, but so much more satisfying. 

LOL One way of putting it.

Another way of putting it is that playing forged blades is like dating a slim, sexy, smoking hot chick. She's so beautiful just one glance at her turns you on. Walking down the street with her makes heads turn and other guys jealous. She's highly strung, high maintenance, slightly psychotic and scarily unforgiving which keeps you on your toes. But all of that is worth it just for the ecstasy of making love to her.

Playing large, chunky, cast GI clubs on the other hand is a bit like dating a frumpy, plain looking fat chick. She's low maintenance,  forgiving, never busts your balls and you feel very comfortable and relaxed around her. Only problem is you're not that attracted to her and sex is very much take it or leave it. 

So what sort of golfer are you? Do you seek the safe but boring domesticity of cast GI clubs or do you crave the thrill and excitement of forged blades? Only you can decide. 😉

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

1 hour ago, kiwihacker said:

LOL One way of putting it.

Another way of putting it is that playing forged blades is like dating a slim, sexy, smoking hot chick. She's so beautiful just one glance at her turns you on. Walking down the street with her makes heads turn and other guys jealous. She's highly strung, high maintenance, slightly psychotic and scarily unforgiving which keeps you on your toes. But all of that is worth it just for the ecstasy of making love to her.

Playing large, chunky, cast GI clubs on the other hand is a bit like dating a frumpy, plain looking fat chick. She's low maintenance,  forgiving, never busts your balls and you feel very comfortable and relaxed around her. Only problem is you're not that attracted to her and sex is very much take it or leave it. 

So what sort of golfer are you? Do you seek the safe but boring domesticity of cast GI clubs or do you crave the thrill and excitement of forged blades? Only you can decide. 😉

👏 so much thought. 

Enter the funky blade GI combo (I'll stop now:)

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Anyone else drop two large on GI clubs even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

You won't see me drop two large on ANY clubs. 🤣

• Like 1

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

To purists ... are ZX7 blades? .. I class them as YES but I also toss in Blueprints 

• Confused 1

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

21 minutes ago, lefthack said:

You won't see me drop two large on ANY clubs. 🤣

In a round a bout way, my point is we are "not good enough" for this game with whatever gear we carry. I don't why traditional MB's are always singled out for this. $300 putters are everywhere and no one can putt. Vokey wedge sets everywhere, no one has super solid short game. I spend $45 a dozen on my Pro V's, I lose them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I play what I like. I bought my Nike combos irons because I wanted to play them and my game responded. I am buying the BGD's because I think they look awesome and I want to support the little guys. Will I be "good enough" to play them? Not likely. Will I play them? I plan to game the hell out of them and eventually I will be.

But they are also $450, not $2k. 🤣

• Like 2

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Theres probably no way to know unless you take the leap... but are blades really that hard to play? I dont play blades but i play the next best thing and im having no issues at all. Im actually striking my irons the best i ever have and by no means am i.... an elite striker or the ball... im not some hacker named bill though. Sorry to the bills that are hacks. Playing the mp 20 mmc which are virtually the same size as the mp 20 blades.

IMO it's mostly in folks heads. It's easier to flub with a blade and off hits won't go very far. But my first set of clubs were as unhelpful as any golf club could be and I was kind of competitive with them.

I upgraded years later to a much more forgiving club, but as I decided to play more now, I am going back for the workability. 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW