Anyone else own blades even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

TiScape

I'm glad you titled the thread own and not game, otherwise I couldn't post lol. I do have a set of Wilson k-28 irons that are the irons I learned the game on. I won't part with them for multiple reasons (sentimentality mostly, but I also would probably be lucky to get a sleeve of rock flite x outs for them.)

When I upgraded my bag last off season I went to CB's with the Cleveland VAS 792's, then when I went to a more SGI/GI irons with the Cleveland 588 mts. I really, really like my mts though. They feel so buttery soft on pure shots and they do give me a smidgeon of feedback on mis-hits. Problem now is I my eventual future irons will have to be at the least "forged" or forged, which for a cheapskate like me is not ideal.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I grew up playing blades, as that’s all there was in the 70s.  I’ve bounced back and forth between blades and players cavity backs for the past 45 years. The past three years playing JPX 900 Forged, with a blade like profile and a cavity back.  This year bought a custom set of MP20 HMB for the full blade look, but with hollow construction to allow a larger face in the longer irons.  Technically not a blade...but I love the look.   Expect my scores to be the same, as it all comes down to short game for scoring. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

Grew up playing blades. I have an old set of Haig Untradynes, MacGregor Tourneys, and Wilson Staff Dynapowers. The Wilsons feel the best, but the MacGregors produce a phenemonal ball flight when a mid iron with balata ball is pured. The ball shoots out low, then halfway out it rises quickly and then descends like a butterfly. Cant get them to quite produce the flight with any of todays high spin balls. For the record, I don't really play them any more, they are all to stiff for my old self. I am playing retro forgings (Mizuno MX20"s) With their offset, lower CG and DG R300 shaft it is a lot easier for me to hit high mid and long irons.

My first summer of golf I borrowed a friend's old set (collegiate-level player at the time) - Titleist Tour Model blades circa 1990-ish with extra stiff shafts.  Way too much club for me, but it's how I learned, and my first two sets over my first 5 seasons were hand-me-down blades. I just didnt know any better or have the means at the time to explore options.

I play AP2s now, but still break out the Hogan Grinds (my second set) for a week or two mid-summer when the weather + course conditions are nice and my swing feels solid. As long as I'm driving well, my iron game translates well to the blades from the fairway or just off.  If I'm struggling off the tee and find trouble (deeper rough, awkward lies) I feel... exposed.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, cardoustie said:

To purists ... are ZX7 blades? .. I class them as YES but I also toss in Blueprints 

If you have to ask, there not blades,

Also foam, goo filled hollow blade look irons are not blades.

• Like 4

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

On 3/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, NRJyzr said:

I don't think its all that weird.  I went thru the same thing when I switched to Golden Rams 20 years ago.

Amusingly, I dropped into single digit territory when I switched from then-modern metal woods to persimmons, in the summer of 2008.

Golf is a funny game.

So how did the persimmons help your game?

I sometimes play them - for me (apart from the lovely sound) can be more accurate, though maybe a little less distance, but not a big hitter anyway.

Edited by Nickc

2 hours ago, Nickc said:

I sometimes play them - for me (apart from the lovely sound) can be more accurate, though maybe a little less distance, but not a big hitter anyway.

I can't speak for NRJ, but for me I like the smaller head as it helps to focus. I also like the shorter, heavier shaft and being able to feel the clubhead. I don't know how people are swinging drivers with 40gm shafts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nickc said:

I found I was hitting the ball noticeably straighter, I was in play much more.  The persimmons gave me a bit less distance on average, but it wasn't this drop in distance keeping me in play, meaning I wasn't merely hitting the ball on the same lines as previously and not reaching trees or hazards because it was shorter.  My directional results were considerably better.

At the point I put them in play, my index was fractionally under 12.  Played them for several months, to the end of the season, I got down to 7.9.  Using them evidently taught me something, as I've been able to keep my index there or lower since, but even now, the persimmons are still straighter for me.

I'd wondered if the steel shafts were part of the equation, so I tried steel in modern Ti drivers, but it didn't give me the same results.  I also have a graphite shafted persimmon, and had a graphite shafted laminate back in 2008, that similarly gave me better results than the metal woods.

It makes one wonder why I didn't just dump the metal woods and stick with persimmon, but my inner nerd/tinkerer wouldn't allow it.  I did finally do that for the first half of the 2020 season, but again, the club/shaft wanderlust kicked in and I started dabbling.  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 3/5/2021 at 6:59 PM, cardoustie said:

To purists ... are ZX7 blades? .. I class them as YES but I also toss in Blueprints 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, Kingcat990 said:

Let's not crack the door and allow ZX7 users to think they're using blades. That's just silly. 

I own a set of Z-forged and those are 100% blades.  My everyday gamers, though, are ZX7 and I'd never class those as blades.  But they are dead sexy!

To be fair almost every "blade" being discussed in this thread is actually a muscle-back design, right? No one manufactures actual "blades" anymore. It would be torture to play those. 

The designs that everyone calls "blades" today were the "game improvement" irons of the 70's and early 80's. 

It doesn't matter either way to me, but as long as people want to dissect what is or isn't a blade, we should be honest and say that none of them are truly blades at all. 

These things...these are blades!

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.16.52 AM.png

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 minutes ago, me05501 said:

To be fair almost every "blade" being discussed in this thread is actually a muscle-back design, right? No one manufactures actual "blades" anymore. It would be torture to play those. 

The designs that everyone calls "blades" today were the "game improvement" irons of the 70's and early 80's. 

It doesn't matter either way to me, but as long as people want to dissect what is or isn't a blade, we should be honest and say that none of them are truly blades at all. 

Yes blades don't exist anymore, they are just an idea. The muscle back design even though it lacks any cavity, is clearly not a blade design. Unless of course you think the design concept of a "blade" is something that can evolve over time into something perhaps not as one dimensional as the "original" blade. 

31 minutes ago, me05501 said:

The muscleback goes back to at least the 50s, and maybe the 40s.  If you count flanged blades, farther than that.

What you're terming as blades largely don't exist, and haven't for a great many decades.  Even the 85 Palmer Standards and Scotch Blades were really musclebacks, compared to the true blades of the hickory era.

No offense, but its a bit of hair splitting.  IMHO of course.  😉

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

39 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Yes blades don't exist anymore, they are just an idea. The muscle back design even though it lacks any cavity, is clearly not a blade design. Unless of course you think the design concept of a "blade" is something that can evolve over time into something perhaps not as one dimensional as the "original" blade. 

17 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The muscleback goes back to at least the 50s, and maybe the 40s.  If you count flanged blades, farther than that.

What you're terming as blades largely don't exist, and haven't for a great many decades.  Even the 85 Palmer Standards and Scotch Blades were really musclebacks, compared to the true blades of the hickory era.

No offense, but its a bit of hair splitting.  IMHO of course.  😉

All true of course! But a lot of people seem to get emotional leaping to the defense of "real blades" when they should really be talking about "non-cavity muscle backs" for instance. You can say that ZX-7's and T100's are most certainly not blades, which they aren't, but if you point to a different iron with just as much weight in the sole as "definitely blades" you're making an argument that you'd lose if the other side was being argued by Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer. 

As a 10-12 handicapper I know for a fact that I couldn't play real blades, but I could manage with what passes for blades (at least up to about the 6 iron spot). 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

It's either "perimeter weighted" ("CB") or it's not. high five.gif

boredom.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

The 53's were in Payne's bag for his first US Open Victory in '91🏌🏻‍♂️!!

Having Played Staff blades for the first 24+ of my 50+ years in the game, with Mizzy blades being in the bag for the last half of that time, about two weeks prior to the largest Am Match Play Tourney in Western PA at the time, the Inter Club Match Play Championship, which started with 131 entrants from the Tri-state area(PA/OH/WV) in 2012, had a 36-hole medal Q down to 64 with the prior Year's Finalists getting exempt into the MP portion, I hadda dream starring my former Teacher, Mentor & second Father, Pete, who, along with his lil Bro Sam was a Staff Lifer, who in his not so subtle manner suggested that I put the Staff's, specifically the 59's, back in the bag. I had alternated them the prior year with the Mizzy 68's, which were in the bag 5-6 weeks prior when I came within a single stroke across the 54 hole Club Championship(68-70-69->207, ~3; The kid, 67-71-68->206)of capturing my 5th Club and becoming the oldest Champion(52yo), against some 20yo kid who was the #3 man for Southern Florida University.

I ignored the dream however I had a the almost exact same dream two nights later cept along with Pete, Maddie was in this one. It caught my attention and long story short, out came the 68's and in went the 59's, as I had four sets, my gamers(top 3 pics) plus three back-ups, as this was Staff's single greatest iron release since the iron that they were patterned after, the 1976-78 Tour Blades, which Sam Played into the 1990's and considered their best "modern" blade(Pete considered the early 1970's Button Backs their greatest iron). My gamer set was the Edwin Watts special release, who's iron back was stamped simply "Tour Blade" across the back, versus the general retail release(bottom pic) which Madison thought was "much prettier," with the "Forged," "Fg59" and "Tour Blade" on the face back. 

Things came together for me that week, I stuck some irons, made some putts and beat a future National USGA Champion in the semis and closed out the then Oakmont Club Champ in the finals for the Victory. I'll never forget that everyone, from my Club Pro, Father, Bro and Best Bud, to that USGA Champion that I beat and finally Maddie, even though I told her that she was partly responsible for the switch,😂😂, thought that I was bat sh*t crazy for takin the 68's outa the bag, however I was swingin arguably the best that I had in my life(+2.8), and while I considered that first dream a fluke, I took that second dream as gospel, lol. Pete always said that I was his most hard headed student, rivaling his younger Bro, cuz when something worked, I rode that b*stard 6' deep into the ground and didn't change/switch till it quit working, lolol. 

That bag below the irons in the pic is my bag from that day, with the clubs the same(Mizzy wedges, Mac Limited Edition TFP 90-3  384/1000 blade putter), though the Miura and 8802 putters were put in at a much later date so I knew where they were cuz I've gotta bunch of putters and even prior to two bouts of cancer and two strokes, my memory wasn't the best and I'd misplace putters like guys misplace socks, and I've refused to hit any of those clubs again, as due to health issues, I'm not remotely the Player today that I was that day. In fact, I'm not a Player, I'm a chop🤷🏼‍♂️, though it is what it is, and I've got the memories, lol. I am debating hitting one of the retail sets of 59's as those are in my opinion the third finest sets of irons that I've ever Played, behind only the original 1976 Tour Blades and then the Mizzy 14's, though the 29's were a very special iron also(Tiger Played em in a split set with the 14's as an Am). 

My unsolicited advice is to play whatever iron that you'd like to play and most importantly play the iron that gives ya the MOST confidence when you step into the box and address the ball. Don't worry about what others think cuz what I've observed in my 50+ years in the game is that the Players will rarely, IF EVER, make a comment to another about their irons, putters, etc. selections, unless specifically asked, and even then, they do not make a derogatory comment, a snotty arrogant chirp if you will. However, your negative and snarky comments will always come from the gallery, ie., the chops, who themselves could never fathom Playin a blade, hence, they don't want others or higher in their cap range to try.

Bottom line, bag what gives ya the lost confidence🤙

You owe NO ONE an explanation!!!

Apologies for the novella to a simple question, lolol😜🤪

Oh yea, whomever was the *sshole that left a "1 ️, " don't ya just love the anonymity that the virtual gives cowards like yourself😂😂. I'm glad that someone gave a 5️ to even it out. I tried to however it won't allow me to press the star ratings🤷🏼‍♂️

Stay Well My Friends & Have A Great Season🏌🏻‍♂️
RP

DC33D535-5419-4206-8BFF-89A13CC8095F.jpeg

5553665B-109D-4229-96BD-BC3D703963E8.jpeg

B1B0351D-AC58-4DB0-8B95-E6A7AE01D29A.jpeg

AE32B627-5CF4-45B4-8E40-B7B8E19BE7F5.jpeg

72FA7CBD-BAD0-4A4A-A153-6D6A9F1A3CD8.jpeg

Quite the inspiring dream blade story, and those Staff blades are beauts. Cheers sir 🍺

• Thanks 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 3/2/2021 at 7:09 PM, lefthack said:

I really like these as well. I committed to buying a set of Byrdie Golf Design irons for my next set. They are doing a run of 15 lefties, so one are mine.

bdg-silver-left-upright.png

Looks a little like the Avian 335.

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

22 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

The 53's were in Payne's bag for his first US Open Victory in '91🏌🏻‍♂️!!

Having Played Staff blades for the first 24+ of my 50+ years in the game, with Mizzy blades being in the bag for the last half of that time, about two weeks prior to the largest Am Match Play Tourney in Western PA at the time, the Inter Club Match Play Championship, which started with 131 entrants from the Tri-state area(PA/OH/WV) in 2012, had a 36-hole medal Q down to 64 with the prior Year's Finalists getting exempt into the MP portion, I hadda dream starring my former Teacher, Mentor & second Father, Pete, who, along with his lil Bro Sam was a Staff Lifer, who in his not so subtle manner suggested that I put the Staff's, specifically the 59's, back in the bag. I had alternated them the prior year with the Mizzy 68's, which were in the bag 5-6 weeks prior when I came within a single stroke across the 54 hole Club Championship(68-70-69->207, ~3; The kid, 67-71-68->206)of capturing my 5th Club and becoming the oldest Champion(52yo), against some 20yo kid who was the #3 man for Southern Florida University.

I ignored the dream however I had a the almost exact same dream two nights later cept along with Pete, Maddie was in this one. It caught my attention and long story short, out came the 68's and in went the 59's, as I had four sets, my gamers(top 3 pics) plus three back-ups, as this was Staff's single greatest iron release since the iron that they were patterned after, the 1976-78 Tour Blades, which Sam Played into the 1990's and considered their best "modern" blade(Pete considered the early 1970's Button Backs their greatest iron). My gamer set was the Edwin Watts special release, who's iron back was stamped simply "Tour Blade" across the back, versus the general retail release(bottom pic) which Madison thought was "much prettier," with the "Forged," "Fg59" and "Tour Blade" on the face back. 

Things came together for me that week, I stuck some irons, made some putts and beat a future National USGA Champion in the semis and closed out the then Oakmont Club Champ in the finals for the Victory. I'll never forget that everyone, from my Club Pro, Father, Bro and Best Bud, to that USGA Champion that I beat and finally Maddie, even though I told her that she was partly responsible for the switch,😂😂, thought that I was bat sh*t crazy for takin the 68's outa the bag, however I was swingin arguably the best that I had in my life(+2.8), and while I considered that first dream a fluke, I took that second dream as gospel, lol. Pete always said that I was his most hard headed student, rivaling his younger Bro, cuz when something worked, I rode that b*stard 6' deep into the ground and didn't change/switch till it quit working, lolol. 

That bag below the irons in the pic is my bag from that day, with the clubs the same(Mizzy wedges, Mac Limited Edition TFP 90-3  384/1000 blade putter), though the Miura and 8802 putters were put in at a much later date so I knew where they were cuz I've gotta bunch of putters and even prior to two bouts of cancer and two strokes, my memory wasn't the best and I'd misplace putters like guys misplace socks, and I've refused to hit any of those clubs again, as due to health issues, I'm not remotely the Player today that I was that day. In fact, I'm not a Player, I'm a chop🤷🏼‍♂️, though it is what it is, and I've got the memories, lol. I am debating hitting one of the retail sets of 59's as those are in my opinion the third finest sets of irons that I've ever Played, behind only the original 1976 Tour Blades and then the Mizzy 14's, though the 29's were a very special iron also(Tiger Played em in a split set with the 14's as an Am). 

My unsolicited advice is to play whatever iron that you'd like to play and most importantly play the iron that gives ya the MOST confidence when you step into the box and address the ball. Don't worry about what others think cuz what I've observed in my 50+ years in the game is that the Players will rarely, IF EVER, make a comment to another about their irons, putters, etc. selections, unless specifically asked, and even then, they do not make a derogatory comment, a snotty arrogant chirp if you will. However, your negative and snarky comments will always come from the gallery, ie., the chops, who themselves could never fathom Playin a blade, hence, they don't want others or higher in their cap range to try.

Bottom line, bag what gives ya the most confidence🤙

You owe NO ONE an explanation!!!

Apologies for the novella to a simple question, lolol😜🤪

Oh yea, whomever was the *sshole that left a "1 ️, " don't ya just love the anonymity that the virtual gives cowards like yourself😂😂. I'm glad that someone gave a 5️ to even it out. I tried to however it won't allow me to press the star ratings🤷🏼‍♂️

Stay Well My Friends & Have A Great Season🏌🏻‍♂️
RP

DC33D535-5419-4206-8BFF-89A13CC8095F.jpeg

5553665B-109D-4229-96BD-BC3D703963E8.jpeg

B1B0351D-AC58-4DB0-8B95-E6A7AE01D29A.jpeg

AE32B627-5CF4-45B4-8E40-B7B8E19BE7F5.jpeg

72FA7CBD-BAD0-4A4A-A153-6D6A9F1A3CD8.jpeg

Love Wilson!  I need to have my FG17 soles "modernized" a little.  I have three primary sets: FG17, BeCu Eye2 and 919 JPX HMP.  I love the FG17's but tend to switch out for the Pings more often than not.  Don't think I really lose too may shots unless its a longer shot from the rough.  Maybe putting the Ping or Mizuno long iron in the bag with the rest of the blades would be a solid mid-modern combo. 🙂

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

My first set of blades was a Wilson Staff in the 90's. I had no idea that they were difficult to hit, back then I played original Titleist DCI Black because it had no offset. My hcp was 2.4 but my home course was 9 holes only and short around 2500yds. Then I moved to US and realized I wasn't good or long enough and my first set here was T-Zoid True. I've struggled for a couple years but got better and longer eventually. I play MP-4's now. Tried a ton of cavity back but it didn't make a dent on my index. GIR is the same so I basically gave up trying.

To start, I have been down so many rabbit holes... but now have settled on a set of Titleist CNCPT CP-02 irons that are really blades but are actually hollow with tons of tungsten in them to help. Playing around an 8 so these are probably a bit much but got a great deal from a local pro that I couldn’t pass up. The set is 3-GW and the 3 will never see daylight as it’s tough to hit but the rest are great. As my backup set, on my bad days are the Cobra Forged Tec 2020 irons. Love them both but just love the workability of the blades and the NS Pro 120x shafts too.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Manny2288 said:

To start, I have been down so many rabbit holes... but now have settled on a set of Titleist CNCPT CP-02 irons that are really blades but are actually hollow with tons of tungsten in them to help. Playing around an 8 so these are probably a bit much but got a great deal from a local pro that I couldn’t pass up. The set is 3-GW and the 3 will never see daylight as it’s tough to hit but the rest are great. As my backup set, on my bad days are the Cobra Forged Tec 2020 irons. Love them both but just love the workability of the blades and the NS Pro 120x shafts too.

image.jpg

These are GI clubs pretending to be blades. Sorry. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have played MP20 MB’s and Miura irons and even toyed with Ping Blueprints and these are very thin and although they are not true 1960/70’s blades, GI irons they are not. They are based on the Titleist 620 irons, same size but I would call them more modern MB blades in today’s world. Either way I love them and all the tech that’s in them. 

• Like 1

Didn't you see what I just bought? 🤣

I won't have everything until next week and then I still gotta build them. I hope to play them before next weekend.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 3/8/2021 at 10:05 AM, NRJyzr said:

I found I was hitting the ball noticeably straighter, I was in play much more.  The persimmons gave me a bit less distance on average, but it wasn't this drop in distance keeping me in play, meaning I wasn't merely hitting the ball on the same lines as previously and not reaching trees or hazards because it was shorter.  My directional results were considerably better.

At the point I put them in play, my index was fractionally under 12.  Played them for several months, to the end of the season, I got down to 7.9.  Using them evidently taught me something, as I've been able to keep my index there or lower since, but even now, the persimmons are still straighter for me.

I'd wondered if the steel shafts were part of the equation, so I tried steel in modern Ti drivers, but it didn't give me the same results.  I also have a graphite shafted persimmon, and had a graphite shafted laminate back in 2008, that similarly gave me better results than the metal woods.

It makes one wonder why I didn't just dump the metal woods and stick with persimmon, but my inner nerd/tinkerer wouldn't allow it.  I did finally do that for the first half of the 2020 season, but again, the club/shaft wanderlust kicked in and I started dabbling.  LOL

It's probably the smaller head is forcing you to concentrate more and make a better swing, which is one of the reasons I play blades as a high handicap.

With that same reasoning I would recommend getting a late 90's early 2000's driver from 200-300 cc and using that as your driving club. You could also try the TM Mini Driver.

I just ordered a 90's 12 deg Big Bertha 195 cc club that I will reshaft and cut down to 42.5" to use as a 2 wood which should get me 250 of carry off the tee. My home course is short but tight. I have tried various drivers but I see that the larger the head the harder I swing, which is not good for me so I want something that is going to force me to be more controlled. Also, My golfing buddy isn't too good and I don't want to be blasting it way by him all the time since we walk.

If the Big Bertha I ordered turns out to be too small I'll get a ti one at 275 cc. I really don't want to go bigger than that.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.