2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Hogan Drill

I've long been a fan of Ben Hogan since I started golf is '95 and have read everything he wrote. The internet was just in its inception so I didn't watch videos of Hogan swinging I just read his books. The Hogan "Drill" is something I have tried off and on. It is basically holding the upper right arm against the body and making swings. Nonetheless, I found it causes severe hooks and a shortage of distance so I never stuck with it.

Just recently in my desire to have some type of preswing routine such as a waggle or short swing I have been looking at various pros swings with the intention of copying them. After looking at a couple of players I became interested in Angel Cabrera's pre shot swing because it seemed similar to something I do naturally when I am swinging well, usually with the driver. What I noticed is that Cabrera has a 1/2 swing where he keeps the right arm next to the body, just like Hogan recommended, but on the full swing his right arm extends away from the body. From there I started looking at videos of Ben Hogan and lo and behold he has one video where he does the "Drill" for the practice swings and yet for the full swing he extends his right arm away from his body.

Somehow this turns out to be very effective in allowing the hands and arms and body feel connected and working together. From what I can gather even though it doesn't have the same mechanics as the full swing it helps a great deal to that end, probably help the body to get the right sequence of the takeaway, plus it helps one stay relaxed.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, chipa said:

I've long been a fan of Ben Hogan since I started golf is '95 and have read everything he wrote. The internet was just in its inception so I didn't watch videos of Hogan swinging I just read his books. The Hogan "Drill" is something I have tried off and on. It is basically holding the upper right arm against the body and making swings. Nonetheless, I found it causes severe hooks and a shortage of distance so I never stuck with it.

Just recently in my desire to have some type of preswing routine such as a waggle or short swing I have been looking at various pros swings with the intention of copying them. After looking at a couple of players I became interested in Angel Cabrera's pre shot swing because it seemed similar to something I do naturally when I am swinging well, usually with the driver. What I noticed is that Cabrera has a 1/2 swing where he keeps the right arm next to the body, just like Hogan recommended, but on the full swing his right arm extends away from the body. From there I started looking at videos of Ben Hogan and lo and behold he has one video where he does the "Drill" for the practice swings and yet for the full swing he extends his right arm away from his body.

Somehow this turns out to be very effective in allowing the hands and arms and body feel connected and working together. From what I can gather even though it doesn't have the same mechanics as the full swing it helps a great deal to that end, probably help the body to get the right sequence of the takeaway, plus it helps one stay relaxed.

Yes I think like many drills it is to generate feels. For some they can be beneficial and others it can ruin them. Lots of battle hooks and over draws for years from overdoing the right elbow digging in to the side.

Hogan’s supposed morning routine was to do that but with both elbows in. That makes a massive difference. Good players get stuck in the excessive in to outs for long periods by using the left arm to dry and hold off the clubface. They hit their goal but ruin the path. Sometimes it’s getting that left arm back in that slings the path back out closer to neutral. Which reduces the need for holding off the face.

I read an old article where Walter Hagen talks about that morning routine. It was also in a golf digest article in the 1950’s, and not Hagen saying it. The Hagen one was in Argosy magazine. Though he may have just been referring to the magazines and TV pieces on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chipa said:

Could u post the Hogan video link for the "Drill"

48 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Could u post the Hogan video link for the "Drill"

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Hmm, I wouldn’t put that sort of dramatic music behind a very basic concept. Harvey Penick’s magic move or whatever he called it. The more you get it right the more you then have to also feel an element of out and over it with how your pivot interacts with the club or you will join the majority of low handicappers that fight the left miss. 

Only relevance of the pic is Stan Leonard. A Canadian. 

2C06266C-5C3E-4860-B404-782C3BFC0E6C.jpeg.dbc994ee0ee41a60cc66e0eedc02dd16.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, powerfade66 said:

Hmm, I wouldn’t put that sort of dramatic music behind a very basic concept. Harvey Penick’s magic move or whatever he called it. The more you get it right the more you then have to also feel an element of out and over it with how your pivot interacts with the club or you will join the majority of low handicappers that fight the left miss. 

Only relevance of the pic is Stan Leonard. A Canadian. 

2C06266C-5C3E-4860-B404-782C3BFC0E6C.jpeg.dbc994ee0ee41a60cc66e0eedc02dd16.jpeg

No doubt this wasn't a technique Hogan invented nonetheless maybe he gets the credit more than anyone else.

Regarding that this move can cause hooks, yes I pointed that out but generally that is if you keep the right arm up close to the body near the shoulder. However, Hogan actually extended his right arm away from his as well as his left just like Cabrera on the full swing which adds a lot of width to the swing and adds a linear component, which imo is an easy move to generate power and accuracy. All big hitters do this from what I've seen.

Notes:

6 minutes ago, chipa said:

No doubt this wasn't a technique Hogan invented nonetheless maybe he gets the credit more than anyone else.

Regarding that this move can cause hooks, yes I pointed that out but generally that is if you keep the right arm up close to the body near the shoulder. However, Hogan actually extended his right arm away from his as well as his left just like Cabrera on the full swing which adds a lot of width to the swing and adds a linear component, which imo is an easy move to generate power and accuracy. All big hitters do this from what I've seen.

Yes but if you don’t get the left out of the way you can’t extend the right you have to flip it because you’ve effectively tilted the base of the plane out to the right. Like if you were trying to whip a shot back across to the left side of the court in tennis having chased it down. But here you have to do that just to get club on the ball. It’s not quite that dramatic obviously but that’s the broad idea in my opinion. Speaking of tennis if you do get to where you’re not tilting under too much the feeling for me is an off forehand from the left side of the court to the right. 

53 minutes ago, powerfade66 said:

Yes but if you don’t get the left out of the way you can’t extend the right you have to flip it because you’ve effectively tilted the base of the plane out to the right. Like if you were trying to whip a shot back across to the left side of the court in tennis having chased it down. But here you have to do that just to get club on the ball. It’s not quite that dramatic obviously but that’s the broad idea in my opinion. Speaking of tennis if you do get to where you’re not tilting under too much the feeling for me is an off forehand from the left side of the court to the right. 

The move is easier than it sounds at least for me. I have tried all types of takeaway methods but so far this has been the most natural and keeps everything connected. I believe that is due the immediate feedback and easy takeaway sequence that keeps me relaxed and confident that I can get the club in a good position to take advantage of natural biomechanical advantages.

Notes:

23 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The problem with this drill is that it often causes ams to get too deep too early. It's very easy to overdo it and drag the club inside. 

That's what happened to me when I first tried it many years ago. The Drill only works for short swings. On the full swing one uses the same feel at the beginning but instead of holding the right arm up against the side extend it away from the body with the left arm as well. Watching videos of Hogan and Cabrera doing this short swing and then following with the full swing will verify the difference.

Notes:

8 minutes ago, chipa said:

That's what happened to me when I first tried it many years ago. The Drill only works for short swings. On the full swing one uses the same feel at the beginning but instead of holding the right arm up against the side extend it away from the body with the left arm as well. Watching videos of Hogan and Cabrera doing this short swing and then following with the full swing will verify the difference.

I've found that it can even cause a problem with the takeaway, tbh. It overemphasises the around part of the swing when in reality the arm swing is more a pushing out and away from the body. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides

8 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I've found that it can even cause a problem with the takeaway, tbh. It overemphasises the around part of the swing when in reality the arm swing is more a pushing out and away from the body. 

I Think I've stated a couple of times that this practice drill does not work for full swings. Still it does establish good mechanics for the full swing. Many pros do this still.

BTW, extending the arms away from the body w/o the correct sequencing will cause the grip to come apart, as I have learned and many others no doubt.

Notes:

Just now, chipa said:

I Think I've stated a couple of times that this practice drill does not work for full swings. Still it does establish good mechanics for the full swing. Many pros do this still.

BTW, extending the arms away from the body w/o the correct sequencing will cause the grip to come apart, as I have learned and many others no doubt.

I think we're going round in circles here. 🙂 

It's not a drill I like for the full swing or for any length swing. Never seen it help. 

I agree with your comment about sequencing. 

2 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I think we're going round in circles here. 🙂 

It's not a drill I like for the full swing or for any length swing. Never seen it help. 

I agree with your comment about sequencing. 

Ok I understand. However, it does help me and may help others and some tour players do it as well.

• Like 1

Notes: