2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

GEA Roll Call

JFM628

34 minutes ago, Nessism said:

There was a site called Golfweb (or something to that effect) that had a very rudimentary single thread type bulletin board that became quite popular.  The Golfweb admin apparently didn't like the BB focused traffic for some reason so they shut it down.  At that time, or maybe because of it, Derick set up GEA.  I joined at that time and posted a fair bit at first but the software format was just horrible in my opinion, and there was too much cliquish banter to keep me interested.  As time went on the good equipment and clubmaking threads diminished to near zero too, as the site became almost entirely social.  

Edit: and realize the site was named Golf EQUIPMENT Aficionados.  Key word, Equipment!  There was a LOT of equipment talk during the early years, clubmaking talk too.  

There was a guy at the old Golfweb EF that called himself "The Rock" that was absolutely HILARIOUS...also Kevin McReynolds...lol...fun times.

I forgot what my handle was at GEA ... but several curmudgeons posted there... Hogan Radial, RG Keller ... 

I miss "What is the best tv, best dishwasher, best something..." They had great info.

Club Champ - funny stuff. I remember the BSG bashing, too. 

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

2 hours ago, Nessism said:

There was a site called Golfweb (or something to that effect) that had a very rudimentary single thread type bulletin board that became quite popular.  The Golfweb admin apparently didn't like the BB focused traffic for some reason so they shut it down.  At that time, or maybe because of it, Derick set up GEA.  I joined at that time and posted a fair bit at first but the software format was just horrible in my opinion, and there was too much cliquish banter to keep me interested.  As time went on the good equipment and clubmaking threads diminished to near zero too, as the site became almost entirely social.  

Edit: and realize the site was named Golf EQUIPMENT Aficionados.  Key word, Equipment!  There was a LOT of equipment talk during the early years, clubmaking talk too.  

I started this thread because I would see some familiar names like yours.  It was a great place for a while but it became overrun with too much non-golf, despite Derrick's efforts.

Was a member there for a while. I did have a lot of fun reading all the posts. It was there that I was introduced to Dana Upshaw.  He was a club fitter out of Warner Robbins, GA. He was a former Navy engineer I believe.  Got fit by him and it was one of the best fittings I had ever done.  Was way ahead of his time with tech at the time.  Has since sold the business and I don’t see posts by him any longer.  Didn’t even know that GEA existed any longer in any form.  It did get a little back biting at the end.  That is when I left.   Was good while it lasted. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Micrys2 said:

Was a member there for a while. I did have a lot of fun reading all the posts. It was there that I was introduced to Dana Upshaw.  He was a club fitter out of Warner Robbins, GA. He was a former Navy engineer I believe.  Got fit by him and it was one of the best fittings I had ever done.  Was way ahead of his time with tech at the time.  Has since sold the business and I don’t see posts by him any longer.  Didn’t even know that GEA existed any longer in any form.  It did get a little back biting at the end.  That is when I left.   Was good while it lasted. 

Dana is a GREAT guy and I bought from him a few times.  I regret selling the clubs I bought from him many times over and wish for a time machine to get them back again.  What a great memory and clearly one I'd like to hold onto for a long time...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I was on there for a little while. Did a course review on a local course here. Was not nasty or hating just told the truth--- One of the Mods was from here and friends with the course owner--- I got suspended of course when I came back I told them what they could do with the site---- And BTW that Mod is here on WRX ( but not a mod here) and will not reply to me to this day. In fact he will not speak to me in person which I could give 2 hoots less. BTW I was Big Stu M-3 on that site. M-3 is the number on the last race car I drove before I retired from dirt track racing

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

27 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I was on there for a little while. Did a course review on a local course here. Was not nasty or hating just told the truth--- One of the Mods was from here and friends with the course owner--- I got suspended of course when I came back I told them what they could do with the site---- And BTW that Mod is here on WRX ( but not a mod here) and will not reply to me to this day. In fact he will not speak to me in person which I could give 2 hoots less. BTW I was Big Stu M-3 on that site. M-3 is the number on the last race car I drove before I retired from dirt track racing

If you can’t get along with Stu-  it’s you.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm here. Still check the new GEA out, but there just isn't much action there. Golfbuzz (the old FGI) is still fun. 

When I first joined GEA it was awesome. Bang/Geek Steve, SMT Mike, Accuflex Jody, LowPro Bryant, MyOstrich Tim were all there. Golfsmith was still producing components. Wishon didn't post there, but being a clubmaker heavy forum, the new Wishon stuff was hot. Derrick made a trip out to SoCal, so we had a dozen people meet up at the SCPGA course where we got to play in 30-50 mph winds. Accuflex had an introductory sampler when they started, couple of wood and iron shafts at a great price....that got me into clubbuilding. 

Agree with the Dana Upshaw mention above...met him through the site and then had a fortunate business trip of a week in Columbia SC followed by a week in Atlanta, I was able to go get fitted there as well. At that time we did not have fitters in every Starbucks like we have now.

Still have my GEA hat in the garage.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

I'm here. Still check the new GEA out, but there just isn't much action there. Golfbuzz (the old FGI) is still fun. 

When I first joined GEA it was awesome. Bang/Geek Steve, SMT Mike, Accuflex Jody, LowPro Bryant, MyOstrich Tim were all there. Golfsmith was still producing components. Wishon didn't post there, but being a clubmaker heavy forum, the new Wishon stuff was hot. Derrick made a trip out to SoCal, so we had a dozen people meet up at the SCPGA course where we got to play in 30-50 mph winds. Accuflex had an introductory sampler when they started, couple of wood and iron shafts at a great price....that got me into clubbuilding. 

Agree with the Dana Upshaw mention above...met him through the site and then had a fortunate business trip of a week in Columbia SC followed by a week in Atlanta, I was able to go get fitted there as well. At that time we did not have fitters in every Starbucks like we have now.

I think I might still have a hat somewhere, olive green. I have one of the ball mark repair tools somewhere that a company offered through GEA, one that had jaws. It was the most useless thing I ever carried on a course. I also have one of the custom turned pencils a GEA member did, its a gorgeous piece of work 

The first golf trip I ever went on was to the second Ravines outing in 2005. I won the short game contest with a set of Maltby SGI clubs down through the lob wedge. I won a gift certificate for a stay at The Ravines that I wouldn't use and traded it in a 3 way deal that netted me a set of M05 heads from Johnny(can't remember his username) who was a theatre actor in New York state somewhere.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

21 hours ago, JFM628 said:

I spent a lot of time on the old GEA website and was wondering if we have a lot of holdovers from that website here.  I tried to check out GEA a few times and I think it may still exist in some form but could not get access.  Was a great site and was wondering if there are a lot of GEA old timers here.

I think in a former life we won a tournament together at Heron Glen....

Visited GEA up until a couple years ago. It was entertaining at times. Golf equipment talk died long ago. I think the political talk ruined a lot of relationships which is sad. Seemed like everyone wanted to be so negative. I remember when Matt Pavin (Corey’s brother) would come on and answer questions about Titleist equipment (he was a rep) and a lot of people would start bashing him about Titleist.

When I moved to New Jersey started playing with the Nutz group. Had a lot of fun. Most have either moved or passed. Still try to play in The Greg every year. 

16 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Golfer formerly known as Sir Hacksalot.

I loved the Club Champ bit.  His irons were forged by Miura-San with steel mined from a secret Japanese Mountain.

I know where the successor forum is at free forums.  So what is OriginalGEA at Delphi forums?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

13 hours ago, SwingMan said:

I forgot what my handle was at GEA ... but several curmudgeons posted there... Hogan Radial, RG Keller ... 

I miss "What is the best tv, best dishwasher, best something..." They had great info.

Club Champ - funny stuff. I remember the BSG bashing, too. 

At its best, you could get truly expert advice on just about any subject.  My family often heard me say, “I’ll see what the golf forum recommends.” 

• Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

10 hours ago, Bad9 said:

I think I might still have a hat somewhere, olive green. I have one of the ball mark repair tools somewhere that a company offered through GEA, one that had jaws. It was the most useless thing I ever carried on a course. I also have one of the custom turned pencils a GEA member did, its a gorgeous piece of work 

The first golf trip I ever went on was to the second Ravines outing in 2005. I won the short game contest with a set of Maltby SGI clubs down through the lob wedge. I won a gift certificate for a stay at The Ravines that I wouldn't use and traded it in a 3 way deal that netted me a set of M05 heads from Johnny(can't remember his username) who was a theatre actor in New York state somewhere.

Nice.  That claw divot repair tool was the worst thing I may have ever bought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kftgolfer said:

I think in a former life we won a tournament together at Heron Glen....

Visited GEA up until a couple years ago. It was entertaining at times. Golf equipment talk died long ago. I think the political talk ruined a lot of relationships which is sad. Seemed like everyone wanted to be so negative. I remember when Matt Pavin (Corey’s brother) would come on and answer questions about Titleist equipment (he was a rep) and a lot of people would start bashing him about Titleist.

When I moved to New Jersey started playing with the Nutz group. Had a lot of fun. Most have either moved or passed. Still try to play in The Greg every year. 

Kevin -  I certainly remember playing together and winning that tournament and you were in Conshohocken.  I played in a couple of Nuts outings and that was a great group.  Interesting that you still play in the Greg...had no idea they were still doing that.

3 hours ago, JFM628 said:

Kevin -  I certainly remember playing together and winning that tournament and you were in Conshohocken.  I played in a couple of Nuts outings and that was a great group.  Interesting that you still play in the Greg...had no idea they were still doing that.

I never understood why people ripped on Matt Pavin or MCOZ...those guys provided a TON of great information and ball testing...yet some guys just crapped all over them.  It made no sense to me.

17 minutes ago, games said:

@OsnolaKinnard  Hax, who was MCOZ?  I don't think i ever got the identity.  I recall he was maybe a minor senior tour guy or an OEM rep or ????

Napa Valley winemaker. Must have had a pretty good connection with TMAG. I think he has a few recent posts in the ball section here.

Edited by Bad9
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

16 minutes ago, JFM628 said:

Wasn't MCOZ the Maxfli guy?

Yes but Maxfli was part of TMAG at the time or there was some overlap.

Does anyone know the guy who used to go by the name INVGRP?  There was a Bitcoin thread back when it wasn’t worth all that much.  This guy mentioned that he had misplaced a drive on which he had quite a few bitcoins.  He moved to Hawaii IIRC.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I spent a lot of time on GEA and it’s predecessor, helped organize the Ravines outing, and played in several of the Greg outings as well as with a lot of local guys. Was a lot of fun, but life happens and things change. But a lot of the posts were hilarious and informative, and I met and played with some guys and golfers through that forum.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:04 PM, Sparky14 said:

I know the brief time I was on there there was some colorful characters and screen names to say the least

Spalding Without Spurs-- Flop Shot Boy

Sligo- Still Stuck in Midcap Hell

Those 2 stand out the most in my fading memory

There was one guy BP-455 that lived about 3 miles or so from me that I never got to meet

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Was on GEA from the beginning, think I might have been #26 ish when people first started signing up. Left for a lot of reasons, do not regret it at all. I was supposed to go to the first of Greg's events, had to cancel at the last minute. Ended up buying a s-load of raffle tickets and won a cool flag that had been flown on a plane in his honor. Still have it. 

This thing might be one of the most useless golf items I've ever gotten - and thats saying a lot. I keep it in my "useless golf items that I will not throw away for some reason no matter how useless they are" box. Zero chance I'm the only one with one of those boxes.

20210306_203823.jpg

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

Was on GEA from the beginning, think I might have been #26 ish when people first started signing up. Left for a lot of reasons, do not regret it at all. I was supposed to go to the first of Greg's events, had to cancel at the last minute. Ended up buying a s-load of raffle tickets and won a cool flag that had been flown on a plane in his honor. Still have it. 

This thing might be one of the most useless golf items I've ever gotten - and thats saying a lot. I keep it in my "useless golf items that I will not throw away for some reason no matter how useless they are" box. Zero chance I'm the only one with one of those boxes.

20210306_203823.jpg

Thats exactly the one I referenced earlier in the thread.