2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

i210 or P790. Buying a set today. Which one do I pick?????

JermWRX

1 minute ago, JermWRX said:

I keep seeing people say this, but I have one question. If they’re so unplayable because of low spin, why the heck are they so popular? Also, are they not high launching enough to hold greens using descent angle instead of high spin? It just confuses me as to why people love them

That's 2 questions 🙂

They are not bad irons. They look great, they feel great, and they GO! They are playable, for sure, it's just when greens get firm and fast there are issues. If you are a high spin player maybe you can get away with it. They do launch high, but once you get into the 6 iron, 5 iron range you just can't hit them high enough to offset the lack of spin.

Distance is an addictive drug - that's my explanation.

Again, these were my experiences, but it seems like many others have the same stories.

• Thanks 1

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

7 minutes ago, magnus7319 said:

That's 2 questions 🙂

They are not bad irons. They look great, they feel great, and they GO! They are playable, for sure, it's just when greens get firm and fast there are issues. If you are a high spin player maybe you can get away with it. They do launch high, but once you get into the 6 iron, 5 iron range you just can't hit them high enough to offset the lack of spin.

Again, these were my experiences, but it seems like many others have the same stories.

Touché😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, magnus7319 said:

That's 2 questions 🙂

Definitely a common theme. No doubt. Not only on here, but reviews I’ve watched.  The longest iron I’d be playing would be 7 iron. That gets me to 175-180. Or at least it did with my G clubs. Then it’s hybrid after that. But I understand if I get the 210s then I’d be playing a 6 or maybe even a 5 iron. Decisions, decisions. Ugh...🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Depends......LOL

i210 is an amazing club and very good for scoring.  Are they going to set distance records or get chosen by countless folks because they are long?  Nope.

P790 is a great club, with some caveats.  They are long, feel pretty decent for hollow clubs.  

Caveats.

1. They are low spin

2. If you do not spin the ball a ton, or play on super firm greens your scores will not go down.

3. They sell because they are long and because fitters use one club to fit.  The 4 iron, 5 iron and 6 iron are too low spin for many people.  Fitters will say, look at that decent angle, you'll be fine.

You won't.  This is where the "hot spot" thoughts come from.  There aren't hot spots per say, but they are low spin, and if you get some dew, some dirt, some grass, or don't completely clean your grooves every time you'll get one that comes off with even lower spin that flies the green or lands on the back to a front pin and bounces off the back.

Now I have a friend that was a 4 handicap, he's now a 1.  He refuses to play a lower spin ball due to green side pitching and wedge shots.  When he went to the P790 it was great.  He also normally spins a 7 iron in his old set 7800 RPM.  Now his 7 iron runs in the 6800 to 7100 area, he can actually play in the wind now, and he can still stop a 5 iron pretty well in the P790 on a firm fast green.  4 iron is a bit tricky, but as he says, he just wants to be near the green when hitting a 4 iron, if he happens to hit it great, but if not his short game is good.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

9 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Depends......LOL

i210 is an amazing club and very good for scoring.  Are they going to set distance records or get chosen by countless folks because they are long?  Nope.

P790 is a great club, with some caveats.  They are long, feel pretty decent for hollow clubs.  

Caveats.

1. They are low spin

2. If you do not spin the ball a ton, or play on super firm greens your scores will not go down.

3. They sell because they are long and because fitters use one club to fit.  The 4 iron, 5 iron and 6 iron are too low spin for many people.  Fitters will say, look at that decent angle, you'll be fine.

You won't.  This is where the "hot spot" thoughts come from.  There aren't hot spots per say, but they are low spin, and if you get some dew, some dirt, some grass, or don't completely clean your grooves every time you'll get one that comes off with even lower spin that flies the green or lands on the back to a front pin and bounces off the back.

Now I have a friend that was a 4 handicap, he's now a 1.  He refuses to play a lower spin ball due to green side pitching and wedge shots.  When he went to the P790 it was great.  He also normally spins a 7 iron in his old set 7800 RPM.  Now his 7 iron runs in the 6800 to 7100 area, he can actually play in the wind now, and he can still stop a 5 iron pretty well in the P790 on a firm fast green.  4 iron is a bit tricky, but as he says, he just wants to be near the green when hitting a 4 iron, if he happens to hit it great, but if not his short game is good.

This is my current 7 iron. So my guess is the 790 would probably drop too much spin, then. 

DA3A85F3-0E54-4606-AE73-090068E463A3.jpeg

14 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

This is my current 7 iron. So my guess is the 790 would probably drop too much spin, then. 

DA3A85F3-0E54-4606-AE73-090068E463A3.jpeg

Well with you playing the G710, they are already a lower spin than the i210's would be.  The G710's are also a full degree less loft than the P790's.  So I would say no you are fine.  I am guessing that is off a mat and if correct, then you would add some spin off of turf.  My SWAG would be that the P790 would spin around 6500-6600 or so for you indoors.  Since you are not playing a 6 iron and playing a hybrid you should be fine.  Based off of these numbers, I would almost think you might be able to get away with the 6 iron depending upon the greens you play most often.

• Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

@JermWRX

I'm gonna assume your ballspeed is around 125mph on average and that you have and angle of attack between 3-5 degrees. Optimal launch and spin for a 7 iron would be 15-17 degrees of launch angle and 6500-7250rpms (depending on your shaft lean, angle of attack, and strike location). This is would allow the ball that is coming into a green about a 47 degree to 51 decent angle to minimize roll out.

If your ball speed is around 115mph on average and have an angle of attack between 3-5 degrees. Optimal launch and spin for a 7iron would be 17-19 degrees of launch with 6250-7000 spin (depending on your shaft lean, angle of attack, and strike location). This is would allow the ball that is coming into a green about a 44 degree to 49  decent angle to minimize roll out. 

In other words if you have higher launcher and spin, don't be afraid of reducing the lofts down by a degree or two. Also, the golf ball you play can be just as influential on your ball flight and decent angle. Example, Prov1 vs Prov1x you would see a higher launch and spin generally from Prov1x and therefore an increase in decent angle (more steep). 

Keep in mind these are just generalizations. Everyone swings differently and therefore may need different launch conditions and equipment. 

If you liked the p790 also give the wilson d7 forged a try!

Hope this helps, 

JJ

Edited by JJgolfwrx
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JJgolfwrx said:

@JermWRX

I'm gonna assume your ballspeed is around 125mph on average and that you have and angle of attack between 3-5 degrees. Optimal launch and spin for a 7 iron would be 15-17 degrees of launch angle and 6500-7250rpms (depending on your shaft lean, angle of attack, and strike location). This is would allow the ball that is coming into a green about a 47 degree to 51 decent angle to minimize roll out.

If your ball speed is around 115mph on average and have an angle of attack between 3-5 degrees. Optimal launch and spin for a 7iron would be 17-19 degrees of launch with 6250-7000 spin (depending on your shaft lean, angle of attack, and strike location). This is would allow the ball that is coming into a green about a 44 degree to 49  decent angle to minimize roll out. 

In other words if you have higher launcher and spin, don't be afraid of decreases the lofts down by a degree or two. Also, the golf ball you play can be just as influential on your ball flight and decent angle. Example, Prov1 vs Prov1x you would see a higher launch and spin generally from Prov1x and therefore an increase in decent angle (more steep). 

Keep in mind these are just generalizations. Everyone swings differently and therefore may need different launch conditions and equipment. 

If you liked the p790 also give the wilson d7 forged a try!

Hope this helps, 

JJ

This is great info, thank you!! I play V1 but was thinking of switching to V1x this year

59 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I keep seeing people say this, but I have one question. If they’re so unplayable because of low spin, why the heck are they so popular? Also, are they not high launching enough to hold greens using descent angle instead of high spin? It just confuses me as to why people love them

I don’t think they are anything close to unplayable. They are a blast to play with, and feel very powerful. My challenge was not being a high enough spin player to keep a 7-iron within 20 feet of a pitch mark.  However, having 180 to a back pin and pulling 7-iron was something that I had never done, so I can absolutely see why people like 790’s.

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

I play i210’s and two of my regular partners play 790’s. One of them is a high spin player so he has no issues with sticking greens but the other is a low spin player already and has a hard time sticking greens so really needs his short game to be on. The i210’s might very be some of the best irons ever made. I’d say if you can get a set, I’d jump all over them. They are that good. No issues with spin (assuming the shaft is a good fit) and the consistency is amazing. 

• Thanks 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Just now, jbandalo said:

I play i210’s and two of my regular partners play 790’s. One of them is a high spin player so he has no issues with sticking greens but the other is a low spin player already and has a hard time sticking greens so really needs his short game to be on. The i210’s might very be some of the best irons ever made. I’d say if you can get a set, I’d jump all over them. They are that good. No issues with spin (assuming the shaft is a good fit) and the consistency is amazing. 

Looking at your signature, this answer doesn’t surprise me. You’re a certified Ping ho!!😂 So am I, btw😂

3 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

Looking at your signature, this answer doesn’t surprise me. You’re a certified Ping ho!!😂 So am I, btw😂

Actually, I’ve played everything. The last couple of years I’ve played Callaway apex’s, Mizuno’s and Cleveland so not a Ping homer by any means. 

Ping is just such a solid lineup right now...hard to go wrong with them. 

PS - I do swap in my OG Callaway Apex hybrid in from time to time depending on the course. It’s the best hybrid ever made. 

Edited by jbandalo
  • Thanks 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

So in Ping's lineup, the i210 would be their GI iron, and for TM, the p790 a SGI, correct? I had a stint with the i200's, they were really forgiving, and now the blueprint which is also forgiving. I've hit the p790, it was waaay too long and draw-biased for me (on the launch monitor indoors). That said, it went really high, so theoretically should hold greens just fine? 

10 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

So in Ping's lineup, the i210 would be their GI iron, and for TM, the p790 a SGI, correct? I had a stint with the i200's, they were really forgiving, and now the blueprint which is also forgiving. I've hit the p790, it was waaay too long and draw-biased for me (on the launch monitor indoors). That said, it went really high, so theoretically should hold greens just fine? 

The GI Ping would be the G425 and the GI Taylormade would be SIM. SGI irons would be G710 and SIM Max OS. The 790 is classified as “players distance”, whatever that means haha. The Blueprint scares the hell out of me. My hands sting just looking at them😂 Good on you for being able to play those bad boys👍

1 minute ago, JermWRX said:

The GI Ping would be the G425 and the GI Taylormade would be SIM. SGI irons would be G710 and SIM Max OS. The 790 is classified as “players distance”, whatever that means haha. The Blueprint scares the hell out of me. My hands sting just looking at them😂 Good on you for being able to play those bad boys👍

Trust me, I'm not "good enough," and it started off as a joke from my buddies, but ended up playing lights out with them. There was a study out there somewhere from Ping that said that some people end up hitting smaller heads better. I'm not here to start an argument about blades vs cavity, but I was definitely in the "people who play blades are kidding themselves" camp, and still kinda am, but for some reason they are working. Talk to me next week, and I'll probably have tossed them in the bin 😂😂

• Haha 1

I have been a bit of a Ping homer for a few seasons now coming over from mainly Titleist.  I really like the I210s as they do exactly what I want them to do.  As a bit of a digger, the soles and relief are perfect for me.  Distance control and spin have been spot on.  

Tried the '17 790's for a period, and while I thought they felt good and launched high for me, I just didn't have the same level of consistency in the end.  The shaft was wrong for me in the set I had picked up in the Modus 105 S as I have been a long time S400 player, so missed the added heft.  

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

What don’t you like about the G710.   Betting it’s the feel or sound.   But I bet your shots are going in good despite the feel.  That’s their game.  I have them in the bag and I hate the feel, sound on poor strikes.  I have come to like the feel in good strikes quite a bit.  And I know that when I look up, after the bad strike the feel informed me of, I usually get to watch it land on or close enough to the green.   That sound/feel that informs you to fix something in your swing is a good thing I think.  

whatever, the point is the 790 are pretty much the same idea with more sound deadening foam. If you’re not loving the 710 you might find the same relationship with the 790.  So, don’t get hollow irons get the 210. 

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

Not that we should look to the pros, but I do look to the LPGA, as at 56 and carrying my driver about 230, that's kinda where I am curious in shaft/club choice. I think every single LPGA staffer plays the i210, and also think like 3 or 4 on the mens staff (Hatton, Hovland, Westwood). I also heard that the i210, is one of the most played irons by pros "not" under contract. That says it all. You don't see much of the 790 at all (beyond long irons) on tour. For me, they were long for sure, and shot one of my best rounds ever with them (73, 9-12 handicap), but, and I know this has been said a lot, they were far too inconsistent on "trustable yardage". I just cannot deal with a 178 yard 7 iron out of no where. So I sold them. It would be cool if PING made a "distance" version of the i210, but you can get the Power-Spec. I currently bag the 210 4-U DG 105 R, also have a set of G400's Aerotech i95 R 5-U, and (in FL) a set of G30 CFS Distance R (5-U). I can tell literally from address if I can game an iron, and then by inspecting the sole. The i210's tick all those boxes, game improvement-esque sole w enough bounce (I am a digger, and likely why a life long PING player), enough offset (I like PING "because of the offset", I would even like a touch more, may go to PowerSpec). I always thought that the i5 and i25 were the most playable and best looking of the i series, and hence I game them and played well with them for multiple seasons. Feel the same about these. Just looking down at them says, "yes, this is it". Sure everyone has the look they love, so not for all, but for me, I feel like PING finally hit on it's modern day EYE2.

Edited by mikec3672
  • Like 1