Need some opinions on my swing.

clevited

Essentially it’s a waste of time as others have said, everyone is open to help you, but not if it means wasting their time, which you seem to be unable to understand. Good luck

I lurk a lot on this forum because there is good nuggets of information in (almost) every thread. But let me tell you from the perspective of a lurker, this thread is becoming useless

Edited by Bocaji

7 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

You asked for some opinions on your swing, you got them. A lot of people do the same things and sometimes they just don't hear what they want. When you have big flaws early, there is little value in worrying about what happens next. Which is also why I suggested Monte's video, it goes into detail on every element of a good swing, but he is pretty straight forward when he says don't move on to the next steps until you've mastered the previous one. With your extreme grip, I would literally worry about nothing else but P2 and P3 with a more orthodox setup, making that change is going to be hard enough, it will be impossible if you are also trying to think about transition and making the ball go straight

I would definitely suggest watching the entire thing, just so you can see how each element builds on the previous one and build your knowledge base of what a sound mechanical swing really is.  But only work on your own swing in a serial fashion.

I am about half way through it so far.  I will be watching it several times I am sure.  I am really liking how he lays things out and explains how they are interconnected.  

I feel you are also getting hung up on my "aside" with the transition.  Please, take it as that, an aside.  I was hitting just partial swings for about an hour prior to a few full swings.  I am taking Monte's advice, not others in here who want me to get full neutral grip right away.  I am swinging with my flawed swing and just focused on getting used to the grip.  The LM is so I can see if I am hitting straight or not (although it has some issues lol, been hit with a few too many bounce backs me thinks). Once I am, I move on to 15 more degrees. Then I move on to a step by step approach laid out in the video, but while having a hopefully more neutral grip.  That is advice I took from people in here.

Again, I can't take everyone's advice in here although it is appreciated.  I can't go full neutral grip when others suggested incremental.  I can't just focus on a couple positions when I am taking the advice to get used to a slightly weaker grip and keep incrementally changing it and practicing it until I hit straight shots.  Everyone again, great advice but I am going to have to pick and choose from the wealth of information.  I think I have a good plan for now.  If it isn't working for me, I will adopt some other suggestions I am sure.  

Swing hard in case you hit it!

11 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

The problem is you only claim its an intelligent conversation when it's what you want to hear. 

No one's advice is really conflicting. Everyone is pretty much telling you the same thing. 

So is intelligent conversation one that assumes I am ignoring what has been suggested in here even though I have been as clear as I can be regarding my plan?  The plan being, basically what I was told early on.  Focus on incrementally changing the grip, learn to hit it straight and then address the other issues.

There is conflicting advice.  Some tell me incremental grip change, others go full neutral.  Some say focus on a couple positions only, others learn to hit it straight with a weaker grip then address other issues.  

The bolded is again, an assumption you have made about me that isn't true.  If you go through this, and read responses, you will see I am asking and taking advice.  I am asking questions.  The thing that I didn't want to hear was everyone ASSUMING, I am getting hung up on the transition when I was just asking a simple question on whether an athletic motion could promote the right motion and had a video to ask if it was doing anything in that regard.  A simple yes or no would have sufficed or someone chiming in saying it did or didn't work for them when they tried it etc.  Lectures and incorrect assumptions about me are not intelligent conversation.

Edited by clevited

37 minutes ago, clevited said:

...but a person trying to understand a future phase of a motion isn't a bad thing imo. 

And you would be correct too, nothing wrong with exploring all sides of a box for future uses.      It's not uncommon to see, and it can be quite beneficial too, addressing an offending sequence piece by working on a more forward sequence section within the rotation chain.  You don't always have to work on the past, you can work on the future and still have the same present. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clevited said:

I am about half way through it so far.  I will be watching it several times I am sure.  I am really liking how he lays things out and explains how they are interconnected.  

I feel you are also getting hung up on my "aside" with the transition.  Please, take it as that, an aside.  I was hitting just partial swings for about an hour prior to a few full swings.  I am taking Monte's advice, not others in here who want me to get full neutral grip right away.  I am swinging with my flawed swing and just focused on getting used to the grip.  The LM is so I can see if I am hitting straight or not (although it has some issues lol, been hit with a few too many bounce backs me thinks). Once I am, I move on to 15 more degrees. Then I move on to a step by step approach laid out in the video, but while having a hopefully more neutral grip.  That is advice I took from people in here.

Again, I can't take everyone's advice in here although it is appreciated.  I can't go full neutral grip when others suggested incremental.  I can't just focus on a couple positions when I am taking the advice to get used to a slightly weaker grip and keep incrementally changing it and practicing it until I hit straight shots.  Everyone again, great advice but I am going to have to pick and choose from the wealth of information.  I think I have a good plan for now.  If it isn't working for me, I will adopt some other suggestions I am sure.  

Stick to the series, it's all good stuff. I would still say turn off the monitor, focus on the video, at least for some segment of the practice. 

The goal is not to hit it straight (at least not initially), the goal is to make a movement change. If you get ball bound, it's very easy to revert to the old grip to get the desired results when you are doing it on your own without an instructor. Get a grip trainer and walk around the house with it, pick it up when you are watching TV, etc. 

• Like 1

The case of OP is a rather common is it not?  He worked hard on developing a functional swing that can hit the ball far, produce some decent scores and impress others with the distance of his shots.  Then he reads stuff on line, looks at video of his swing and realizes that his swing while functional is not what he wants.  Now he has a built swing that needs to be changed something that is not easy to do and the old swing which is programmed in his brain will always be there with parts of it  rearing their ugly head at inappropriate moments. 

LOL this why I tell every beginning golfer that I run into to take some lessons now!  Usually they say that they are learning on their own and don't need lessons right now but might take some later on.  Just human nature I guess...

Luckily in this scenario there is nothing at stake but a golf game which really has zero importance in the grand scheme of things.  My opinion is that the OP's plan to make small grip changes and work things out over time while still maintaining his current level of play is a sound one and should work if he can stick with it and not get impatient...  LOL this is not something I could ever do!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, golfsticks said:

And you would be correct too, nothing wrong with exploring all sides of a box for future uses.      It's not uncommon to see, and it can be quite beneficial too, addressing an offending sequence piece by working on a more forward sequence section within the rotation chain.  You don't always have to work on the past, you can work on the future and still have the same present. 

this is proper trolling, first class, respect 

On 3/10/2021 at 7:29 AM, milesgiles said:

this is proper trolling, first class, respect 

I thought you left?  Nice contribution as always though. 

Contrary to popular belief in here, that little aside I brought up regarding transition, it sparked more motivation to address all things in my swing one at a time.  You guys all have to understand, this one size fits all mentality isn't the way to treat everyone.  A person can explore or try to understand any aspect of the swing they want at any time in the process, it isn't going to necessarily derail or distract them from the process of improving.  This also isn't the same as, for instance,  having to learn basic algebra before you jump to learning trigonometry.  Sometimes understanding a future aspect of the swing makes all the other things leading up to it make that much more sense and can create motivation/confidence which I know from experience can be hard to come by with swing changes.  When you can feel how much more efficient, fast, effortless and seemingly more simplistic one single aspect of the swing can make over your existing one, that creates a lot of motivation to fix things the right way imo.

2 hours ago, clevited said:

Sometimes understanding a future aspect of the swing makes all the other things leading up to it make that much more sense

Not an architect, but I would imagine they know what the final outcome looks like before putting pencil to paper.  The design drives the effort, not the other way around.  

Edited by golfsticks
spelling
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just a brief update to this.

I am about half way to my goal as far as the grip change is concerned and hitting increasingly reliable pull fades (can even reliably draw the ball when I want for fun).  I can of course over cook it if I am not careful but working into muscle memory the routine and feel for this swing with the less strong grip is definitely happening, slowly but it is noticeably improving.  I have been playing more golf this year than in the past as well and I am keeping a handicap for the first time ever.  What I estimated to be a 15 or so handicap is in reality, currently a 7.3.  I have been shooting more rounds in the 80s and I don't foresee my handicap going up much once I have a full 20 rounds under my belt, at least not with my current trend.  

The swing can disappear for a while still but it does come back and does so more quickly and consistently than years before.  I have no delusions of becoming a scratch or better golfer but if I can continue this trend as I weaken my grip and maintain something in the low single digits, I will be quite happy for the time being.  I still plan to address the rest of my swing but I will admittedly have less drive to do so if I am meeting my current scoring goals.  I don't mind having a goofy swing that can get me around the average course with high 70s low 80s for a score.  I am sure the bug to improve my swing will hit me again in the future and thankfully I have some pretty solid video instruction of Monte's to help put the puzzle pieces together the right way and in the right order.

When I inevitably get to that point, I will be sure to post some before and after videos as I see positive changes develop.