Do you think my summer Scotland trip gets cancelled again?

My buddies and I had a weeklong trip to St. Andrews and the Scottish Highlands that was supposed to be in July of 2020, but got cancelled.  We moved the trip to July of this year and I'm starting to have really big doubts if it's actually going to happen.  The other guys in my group are very optimistic that everything will line up in our favor, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  So much depends on vaccinations, and when moving between countries things can get interesting really quick.  So much depends on lockdowns, their restrictions, quarantine upon arrival, etc.  None of us have even booked flights yet!  And we're four months out!

How many of you had trips scheduled around the same time?  If you booked through a tour operator, what are they telling you?  I reached out to ours and was just told that they are "optimistic and hopeful that by the height of summer that they will be fully open for business."  I feel like we should start looking into pushing this trip to 2022.  Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know what percentage of players in Scotland are from the U.S., but by June almost all U.S. citizens will have had the option of receiving one of the vaccines.  U.S. tourists with a vaccination

Just a common sense guess, but Ill bet by June Europe is in large part open for business.  As much as many disdain american travelers another lost tourist summer is not tenable.  Over 10% of Europes p

Im in England and where "expecting" to be back open properly from mid June/July, Scotland are a lot more stricter about opening than England, at the moment we still cant even drive up to Scotland due

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, adambommb29 said:

My buddies and I had a weeklong trip to St. Andrews and the Scottish Highlands that was supposed to be in July of 2020, but got cancelled.  We moved the trip to July of this year and I'm starting to have really big doubts if it's actually going to happen.  The other guys in my group are very optimistic that everything will line up in our favor, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  So much depends on vaccinations, and when moving between countries things can get interesting really quick.  So much depends on lockdowns, their restrictions, quarantine upon arrival, etc.  None of us have even booked flights yet!  And we're four months out!

How many of you had trips scheduled around the same time?  If you booked through a tour operator, what are they telling you?  I reached out to ours and was just told that they are "optimistic and hopeful that by the height of summer that they will be fully open for business."  I feel like we should start looking into pushing this trip to 2022.  Thoughts?

Im in England and where "expecting" to be back open properly from mid June/July, Scotland are a lot more stricter about opening than England, at the moment we still cant even drive up to Scotland due to travel restrictions, even if you are allowed to travel and not have to quarantine it wont be the same, there will still be restrictions in pubs/restaurants in some way, me personally wouldnt travel across the world to the UK this year, it can change literally weekly, for the good and the bad

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X 9*

Hybrids:     :ping-small: G425 17* & G 19*

Hybrid Irons: :adams-small:  Pro DHY 21 & 24*

Irons:       :ping-small: i500 6-PW

Gap Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 3 50*

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe Raw 54 & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  O-Works 7

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

We're on the books to head over in early October. They are telling us the same thing - that they can't imagine not being reopened by summer and if they aren't the tourism industry will be obliterated. I'm hopeful that they are correct and we will be able to go over and play golf but I wouldnt hold out hope for a "normal" experience with fully reopened bars/restaurants etc. Guessing more so than ever, it will be all about the golf. July is a lot sooner, so you might be on the fringe of where that reopening process starts. Who knows, trying to predict the response to this pandemic is a crap shoot.

• Like 1

It’s impossible to make a solid prediction, but the UK and Scotland especially have been pretty conservative with relieve measures. That could mean, once they do open there’s a good chance for some consistency. 

I’m only 2.5 hrs flight time away and will be booking flights and accommodation very last minute, IF I go.

It’s a big if, but looking at how things went in 2020, summer or late summer might be the best time, as there will be another „wave“ or such a thing when it gets colder again. 

I realize it’s difficult if you want to play The Old Course, as you need to reserve tee times early on, and I don’t know their cancelling/refund policy. 
I‘m playing smaller/less known courses in the Highlands, and will try to play Royal Dornoch, which is easier to get on than TOC. 

One thing that might play in your favor is, airlines, hotels and AirBnB hosts are very flexible and fairly priced right now, they need all the business they can get. 
Also, there should be more tee times available due to hesitant tourists just like you. 

I went to Turkey in December 20 and everything worked out, they need our money and even with a stay-at-home-order in place, I could move freely and play golf. Don’t know if the Scots are as desperate, though. 

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Edited by LukeDonaldsTiger
  • Like 1

I had a 12 round trip to Aberdeen and the Highlands scheduled for July 2020. We are two Americans and two Englishmen. We plan to re schedule for July 2022. It's too much effort to plan it and then cancel again. It will be easier just to wait the extra year and be more certain of things being back to normal (or close to normal). 

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, adambommb29 said:

We had the same issue for our Ireland trip last year. We are fully planning on making our trip. I think the best solution is to plan for the trip, but have a plan B to postpone until next year if neccessary if things don't look good as the date gets close. The next 60 days will be critical to see what route countries will go. The one thing I can tell you is BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS NOW! The prices are very cheap now. Once everything looks clear the prices are going to go up significantly. All airlines are allowing free changes with no fees so you can't get hurt there. I did all the bookings for our trips and almost all of the courses and lodging have been very understanding and accomodating given the circumstances (except Carnoustie) 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

I don't know what percentage of players in Scotland are from the U.S., but by June almost all U.S. citizens will have had the option of receiving one of the vaccines.  U.S. tourists with a vaccination card should be pretty safe guests to invite into any country by July.  Whether this factors into a government's decision about opening up for U.S. tourists is anyone's guess.

When I was in Ireland two years ago, the caddies all agreed that 95% of their summer players were from the U.S.   There is no good reason to kill their economy for another year.

• Like 2

We just officially moved our trip to 2022, got new dates and confirmation from our tour operator. 

Even if it somehow were possible, the odds of Scotland requiring a quarantine made it a non-starter for my job. And we were going to have non-golfing spouses coming for tourist activities which will undoubtedly be closed. 

just a total non-starter for the amount of money being spent. Here’s to 2022! 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

Given that chart my 1% hope of our trip happening this June which was already rebooked from last September.  Looks like 2022.

Ping G400 10.5* - Ping Tour 65
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff
Ping I25 5-pw - CFS S Cushin +1/4
Ping Glide 3.0 52/58 SS
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

• 2 weeks later...