2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Help with driver distance

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can spot a flaw which is leading me to have less distance. I know this video isn’t the best angle but hopefully someone can pick something out. I don’t feel like I’ve pinned my trail arm, but that’s the only thing I can think of based off this video. 

ive been hitting the ball dead straight but maxing out at like 265-270 total distance with a swing speed of around 105mph(in this video I’m swinging around 100). I’m 6’2 180 pounds with a longer wingspan so I surely can hit the ball longer I feel with the right movements. Please anyone if you can find something let me know. I would really really appreciate it. 

thank you!

-G

Here is a closer look but with 3W I don’t have any video from behind. The gap between my 3W and Driver is only 20 yards which is making my driver almost unnecessary to hit and also making longer par 4’s very difficult having to hit longer irons into the green.. 

please let me know if you guys see something

Here you are just before impact on your driver swing:

image.png.d0f8e1e2cc37c0566fd4ae0b190b997b.png

I would argue you're coming too far up on striking the ball high on the face and delivering a ton of loft. Easiest thing to do, tee it down just a little more (just underneath the crown) and give it another go.

Your 3W video is too hard to analyze due to the camera/speed up to see exactly where you are at impact.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

5 minutes ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

Here you are just before impact on your driver swing:

image.png.d0f8e1e2cc37c0566fd4ae0b190b997b.png

I would argue you're coming too far up on striking the ball high on the face and delivering a ton of loft. Easiest thing to do, tee it down just a little more (just underneath the crown) and give it another go.

Your 3W video is too hard to analyze due to the camera/speed up to see exactly where you are at impact.

Ok I 100% see what you are saying. I will give this a try. In the past I had trouble with low ball flight off the tee which put me in tough positions when I had to carry the ball 240+. I’ll try this and let you know. 

do you think that de-lofting the club would work well? I have it set to 9 but can go to 8.25 I believe. 

thank you for the response!

-G

4 hours ago, Gmoney777 said:

Ok I 100% see what you are saying. I will give this a try. In the past I had trouble with low ball flight off the tee which put me in tough positions when I had to carry the ball 240+. I’ll try this and let you know. 

do you think that de-lofting the club would work well? I have it set to 9 but can go to 8.25 I believe. 

thank you for the response!

-G

That or you need to work on not collapsing back quite as much as you do. Your upper body seems to move away from the ball as you come to contact, then you straighten into your follow-through. I wonder if a DTL vid might shed more light on what you're doing...

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

18 minutes ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

That or you need to work on not collapsing back quite as much as you do. Your upper body seems to move away from the ball as you come to contact, then you straighten into your follow-through. I wonder if a DTL vid might shed more light on what you're doing...

I just noticed that. It seems like I was so focused on creating a proper attack angle that my body shift back while my weight is going forward. I’m sure this is killing the momentum in my upper body and costing me a good chunk of yardage. 

great observation! Thank you again 

I agree with Braxton. You have a lovely swing though! Aside from some potential power being robbed by trying to get too "up" on the ball, you generally just have a nice smooth tempo and a fantastic looking sequence overall. Not a lot of pop or speed overall though, which isn't a bad thing but it lines up with what you feel you're lacking. 

You do seem to have a nice quiet wrist action without a ton of hinging/flipping, kind of similar to Justin Thomas, which in his words is the intended approach because of how much lower body speed he puts into his driver swing. You look loaded up to do that, but end up with a slower and smoother motion through the ball. I'd be very curious to see what your full on 125% driver swing looks like just to see where you try to push for more power. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

My guess is that if you were measured on 3D force plates, the vertical force would be quite low and the horizontal quite high.

Looks like quite a lot of horizontal slide forwards in the DS. Could straighten the right knee more in the BS and then dig down into the front of your left foot in transition so that you can push back and up. See the stuff that Steve Furlonger posts on Instagram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

I agree with Braxton. You have a lovely swing though! Aside from some potential power being robbed by trying to get too "up" on the ball, you generally just have a nice smooth tempo and a fantastic looking sequence overall. Not a lot of pop or speed overall though, which isn't a bad thing but it lines up with what you feel you're lacking. 

You do seem to have a nice quiet wrist action without a ton of hinging/flipping, kind of similar to Justin Thomas, which in his words is the intended approach because of how much lower body speed he puts into his driver swing. You look loaded up to do that, but end up with a slower and smoother motion through the ball. I'd be very curious to see what your full on 125% driver swing looks like just to see where you try to push for more power. 

I appreciate it! Definitely not the fastest swinger out there but I have 100% been focusing on tempo since I started playing. 

I would say this is my 80% swing and I like to swing about 80-85% off the tee otherwise i can start pulling my drives. 

8 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

My guess is that if you were measured on 3D force plates, the vertical force would be quite low and the horizontal quite high.

Looks like quite a lot of horizontal slide forwards in the DS. Could straighten the right knee more in the BS and then dig down into the front of your left foot in transition so that you can push back and up. See the stuff that Steve Furlonger posts on Instagram.

I will check this out for sure, I definitely feel the slide in my transition and have not though about my vertical force. I feel like i take my backswing so far that my right knee bends a lot to get my chest rotated properly. I’ll see to the furlonger posts on Instagram and tweak a few things👍🏼 

thanks for the advice! As always i truly appreciate it.

14 minutes ago, Gmoney777 said:

I will check this out for sure, I definitely feel the slide in my transition and have not though about my vertical force. I feel like i take my backswing so far that my right knee bends a lot to get my chest rotated properly. I’ll see to the furlonger posts on Instagram and tweak a few things👍🏼 

thanks for the advice! As always i truly appreciate it.

Should be easier to turn more (not that you need it) with a straighter right leg (more hip turn). Should also help you keep left tilt for longer (the slide / early right tilt pattern goes together).

Also worthwhile looking at Mark Crossfield's swing change videos with the force plates. His old swing reminds me of yours in that it was nicely organized and controlled but wasn't getting as much speed as he felt he could.

• Like 1

I agree with @GolfTurkey. Some really good things going on but it looks like you are loading/unloading your weight on each leg very much. A good feel is as you go into your backswing, the majority of the weight will feel on the back leg and almost as if you are gonna fall forward, like a hard lean, then as you start down, the lead leg “catches” you and uses all that step in force to push through the ground. Kinda hard to make sense in text, but think of a pitching motion in baseball. Similar feel in the legs.

Position your right foot so that it is parallel to your target line. Biomechanically , this position is the most efficient at loading your rear foot

Flare out your left foot 1/4 turn towards the target . This will increase the range of motion of your hips and in turn your pelvis in the downswing . 

You might also experiment in playing the ball slightly more forward in your stance. 

On 3/3/2021 at 10:55 PM, GolfTurkey said:

Should be easier to turn more (not that you need it) with a straighter right leg (more hip turn). Should also help you keep left tilt for longer (the slide / early right tilt pattern goes together).

Also worthwhile looking at Mark Crossfield's swing change videos with the force plates. His old swing reminds me of yours in that it was nicely organized and controlled but wasn't getting as much speed as he felt he could.

Your analysis was spot on!! My left leg was collapsing and all of my momentum was lost... I fixed this by straightening out my leg more in transition to avoid the slide. Along with that, I tweaked my driver setting and tried to lower my launch angle a bit which helped me get to an average of 274 carry on 10 shots at 106 average swing speed! It was just on a simulator since it’s too cold to play here in Chicago, but I’m really liking that number a lot better. Maxed out on a 100% swing at 296 I believe it was carry and ended up 317 total distance. Heading to Florida next week to play tiburon black, old corkscrew and a few other courses. Will definitely put it to the test there as tiburon is around 7200 if I remember correctly. 

thank you everyone else for the advice! I’m still working on a few of the suggestions but overall feel that my setup improved drastically. 

I really appreciate all of the advice.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:20 PM, golfarb1 said:

Position your right foot so that it is parallel to your target line. Biomechanically , this position is the most efficient at loading your rear foot

Flare out your left foot 1/4 turn towards the target . This will increase the range of motion of your hips and in turn your pelvis in the downswing . 

You might also experiment in playing the ball slightly more forward in your stance. 

I was trying to play a bit of a draw in this video to add distance which is why my right foot was slightly back. To you recommend even trying to play a draw to have my stance parallel to the target line? I feel like I couldn’t get the inside to out club path going enough to draw the ball unless I had a bit more wrist action.. 

lmk your thoughts.

45 minutes ago, Gmoney777 said:

I did notice that😂 just an awful setup now that I rewatch the video. To be fair I think my hat was slightly tilted here😂

I watched your video. It's very hard to turn properly unless your head is preset to the right or you allow it to rotate much earlier. You live in Chicago? I'm in Olympia Fields.

It would help to see a down the line angle, but I think you may be casting the club a little early/losing your angles on the downswing.

See the difference between your club shaft/left arm versus Rory's:

spacer.png

One of the things the pros do really well is to keep the butt of the grip pointed toward the target while they clear/open their body. It's a powerful move, whereas casting the club-head robs you of power.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erCAYnkIniQ

9 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

I watched your video. It's very hard to turn properly unless your head is preset to the right or you allow it to rotate much earlier. You live in Chicago? I'm in Olympia Fields.

My whole set up was honestly flawed and I’ll have to get a video to post next week with the changes I’ve made! I’m actually far west in Saint Charles!

3 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

It would help to see a down the line angle, but I think you may be casting the club a little early/losing your angles on the downswing.

See the difference between your club shaft/left arm versus Rory's:

spacer.png

One of the things the pros do really well is to keep the butt of the grip pointed toward the target while they clear/open their body. It's a powerful move, whereas casting the club-head robs you of power.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erCAYnkIniQ

i 100% agree I was having trouble creating a positive attack angle and felt like I was trying to get the ball in the air too much which led my to unload way too early. 

What has just started really working for me (on trackman) is addressing the ball about 6 inches behind which creates a low point well before the ball allows me to to worry about the shot height. I’ll post another vid this upcoming week as I’ll be in Naples for a while playing