Am I Crazy (785s for PTX pros)

I just got a new set of Srixon 785s that I've been testing for a few weeks and I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed. I love the look of these clubs but think my j15s feel a bit better and offer more forgiveness. I had a set of 765s years ago and think they were softer than the 85s. At least that's how I remember them. A buddy of mine has the Ben Hogan Edge irons with the same recoil shaft and I was more impressed with the performance of his clubs. So I'm thinking the PTX pros might be exactly what I'm after but maybe I just need to give the 785s a bit more time.  I'm also considering a move to the Apex pros but nothing is set in stone. Anyone compare the 785s and PTX Pros or decide the 785s just weren't the best option for them?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for threadjacking but are you open to other iron suggestions? New Level 902 is very similar to those Bridgestone pocket cavities (J15/36/38/40) and they offer plenty of shaft choices at low DTC

From a feel perspective, I would be surprised if the PTx Pro isn’t inferior. I hit the PTx Pro along side some single piece forged irons (PTx Pro are forged but multiple pieces stick together) and did

Which J15 are you playing?  I have the J15 cb and the Z785 right now.  I would agree the J15 are ever so slightly more forgiving but feel will depend a lot on the shaft.  When hit out of the middle, t

From a feel perspective, I would be surprised if the PTx Pro isn’t inferior. I hit the PTx Pro along side some single piece forged irons (PTx Pro are forged but multiple pieces stick together) and didn’t like the feel nearly as much. Performance was fine but I couldn’t get over the relatively hollow, empty feel. They are gorgeous irons though.

• Like 1

D| Ping G400 w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

3W| Cobra F9 Tour 16* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

H| Ping G400 22* w/UST Mamiya PROFORCE V2 Black X

4-P| New Level 902 w/Dynamic Gold TI S400

GW, SW| Maltby M-Series+ Tour w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

LW| Maltby Tour Grind MG w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

The Srixons are some of the best feeling irons I’ve ever hit. I don’t mean to be harsh at all, but the 765 were quite a bit easier to hit than the 785 and had a much lower CG. If you aren’t compressing the ball really well with some speed and shaft lean, the 765 is probably going to feel better. The 765 was quite game improvement in size and ease of use. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

Which J15 are you playing?  I have the J15 cb and the Z785 right now.  I would agree the J15 are ever so slightly more forgiving but feel will depend a lot on the shaft.  When hit out of the middle, they are both some of the best IMO.  The PTx Pro do feel a little more clicky whereas the Icon feels much better when middled for sure, but the long irons in the Icon can be demanding.  PTx Pro will be very forgiving though.  Personally I was not a fan of the 765, they were my least favorite of all the Z7x5 irons.

Another thing to note is that the Hogan shaft choices are not great.  While the Srixon benefits ( I think ) from the Modus, the Hogans steel options aren't great.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10.5* PX HZRDUS Smoke yellow 6.0 60g

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G425 19* Aldila Rogue black 95ts

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Anser Milled 2

Not all clubs are for all players. 

The 785's are my current irons and I get along with them very well. They offer me  exceptional performance. After a fitting, the dispersion , distance, and playability are great for me. YMMV.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
2 hours ago, naj959 said:

I just got a new set of Srixon 785s that I've been testing for a few weeks and I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed. I love the look of these clubs but think my j15s feel a bit better and offer more forgiveness. I had a set of 765s years ago and think they were softer than the 85s. At least that's how I remember them. A buddy of mine has the Ben Hogan Edge irons with the same recoil shaft and I was more impressed with the performance of his clubs. So I'm thinking the PTX pros might be exactly what I'm after but maybe I just need to give the 785s a bit more time.  I'm also considering a move to the Apex pros but nothing is set in stone. Anyone compare the 785s and PTX Pros or decide the 785s just weren't the best option for them?

Definitely try the Hogan demo program. I really enjoyed the feel and performance of the PTX Pros. I ended up buying a set on eBay. 

I have 14 clubs.

3 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

The Srixons are some of the best feeling irons I’ve ever hit. I don’t mean to be harsh at all, but the 765 were quite a bit easier to hit than the 785 and had a much lower CG. If you aren’t compressing the ball really well with some speed and shaft lean, the 765 is probably going to feel better. The 765 was quite game improvement in size and ease of use. 

Interesting you say this. I know the guys at TXG said they were essentially the same iron in a more compact package and without the tungsten in the long irons. But I think you may be on to something. The 785s feel very solid out of the middle. I would describe them as being more solid then soft. I was hoping for more of that marshmallow type of softness. Believe it or not, the 5 iron I struck well immediately but it took me a while to groove the short irons. I attribute this to having such a light weight in the short irons. I switched from mid weight steel to the recoil 760 which is not ideal but the deal was too good to pass up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jmccas said:

Definitely try the Hogan demo program. I really enjoyed the feel and performance of the PTX Pros. I ended up buying a set on eBay. 

I've been on the wait list for months for some demos. I'm not sure whats going on over there but everything seems to be back logged. In all likelihood I'll take the same route you did and sell whichever set I decide not to game.

3 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Which J15 are you playing?  I have the J15 cb and the Z785 right now.  I would agree the J15 are ever so slightly more forgiving but feel will depend a lot on the shaft.  When hit out of the middle, they are both some of the best IMO.  The PTx Pro do feel a little more clicky whereas the Icon feels much better when middled for sure, but the long irons in the Icon can be demanding.  PTx Pro will be very forgiving though.  Personally I was not a fan of the 765, they were my least favorite of all the Z7x5 irons.

Another thing to note is that the Hogan shaft choices are not great.  While the Srixon benefits ( I think ) from the Modus, the Hogans steel options aren't great.  

I have the DPF's. Hit them side by side and I just prefer the Bridgestone feel. However, the 785s seemed tighter in dispersion and consistency once I adjusted to the recoils. I'm going to follow up with Hogan about getting some demos. Twenty bucks and I could have this question sorted out in a few days.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, naj959 said:
  1. I just got a new set of Srixon 785s that I've been testing for a few weeks and I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed. ...
  2. ...my J15s feel a bit better...
  3. I had a set of 765s years ago and think they were softer ...
  4. A buddy of mine has the Ben Hogan Edge irons with the same recoil shaft and I was more impressed with the performance of his clubs
  5. ... So I'm thinking the PTX pros...
  6. I'm also considering a move to the Apex pros...
  7.  but nothing is set in stone. 

Testing new iron sets is fun, but sooner or later you should decide on irons to play. There's a learning curve to getting the most out of a set of irons.

Beware of paralysis by analysis...

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

2 hours ago, naj959 said:

I have the DPF's. Hit them side by side and I just prefer the Bridgestone feel. However, the 785s seemed tighter in dispersion and consistency once I adjusted to the recoils. I'm going to follow up with Hogan about getting some demos. Twenty bucks and I could have this question sorted out in a few days.

Sorry for threadjacking but are you open to other iron suggestions? New Level 902 is very similar to those Bridgestone pocket cavities (J15/36/38/40) and they offer plenty of shaft choices at low DTC prices.

• Like 2

D| Ping G400 w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

3W| Cobra F9 Tour 16* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

H| Ping G400 22* w/UST Mamiya PROFORCE V2 Black X

4-P| New Level 902 w/Dynamic Gold TI S400

GW, SW| Maltby M-Series+ Tour w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

LW| Maltby Tour Grind MG w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

17 hours ago, naj959 said:

I am not a fan of the sole on the Srixon and I find that clean contact will show itself with perceived "feel", that being said, I love the way most Bridgestone's feel-

• Like 1
Cobra SZ Xtreme @ 10* 
Tour Edge EXS Pro 3W 15*
Titleist 818 18* & TS3 22*
PXG Gen 2 0311XP
Callaway MD5 54/MD4 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Dbl Wide
Titleist AVX

17 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Testing new iron sets is fun, but sooner or later you should decide on irons to play. There's a learning curve to getting the most out of a set of irons.

Beware of paralysis by analysis...

Guilty as charged. There are so many great options out right now and I want all of them, or at least to try all of them. There aren't a whole lot of quality fitters in my area. If I had access to a club champion or something similar, I'd be able to try every option and not have any temptation to see if the grass is greener. I have 4 iron sets in the house and can totally see myself buying two more. This place is a bad influence haha.

16 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

Sorry for threadjacking but are you open to other iron suggestions? New Level 902 is very similar to those Bridgestone pocket cavities (J15/36/38/40) and they offer plenty of shaft choices at low DTC prices.

The 902's have been on my radar and at such a low price, I'm sure I'll own a set. It's just a matter of time. They seem like a worthy alternative for former PC users. I've read countless threads about how great the J40 PC was and wish I had bought them instead of the J15DPFs.

1 hour ago, naj959 said:

Guilty as charged. There are so many great options out right now and I want all of them, or at least to try all of them.

Oh!!! A blast from the past..

In 2008, I was swapping out my stiff shafts for regular and got new irons for first time in 14 years.

Just for irons, I hit Ping G10, i10 and S57s, Callaway X20, X20 Tours (and X-Forged for about five shots), some Cleveland, Mizuno MP57... and others the fitters shoved into my hands. Ended up with X20s for two seasons, and then swapped out for used X20 Tours.

I came to the conclusion that most of the major OEMs make at least one model of iron I could play successfully - as long as I had the right shaft in it. Still feel this way.

Hope you can find helpful fitters. They keep me from wasting time on "too robust" club-shaft combos.  😲

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I’ve been playing the PTx Pros for a while now. I’m one of the testers of the clubs from this site and haven’t felt the need to get something different since I for them. 

I’m a big fan of the V sole on the Hogans because I tend to get steep with my irons. I really like the feel of the Hogans. They’re a nice solid feel, and other people that have tried them have liked the feel as well. 

Srixon 785s feel softer, and I would have got those of I didn’t win the PTx Pros to test.  At some point this fall, I’ll end up getting a ZX5/ZX7 combo set just because I’m starting to get brown spots on the irons I hit most with the shorter irons. 

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- shaft TBD 

Fairway:  M3 3HL with Diamana Whiteboard 80s

Hybrids: 19* Adams 19* Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 3 X Forged Utility (Proforce VTS 104s); 4 iron X Forged Utility, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with Modus 125s
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with Modus 125 Wedge shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Got my demos, Monday and hit them at the range Tuesday. Was immediately blow away with the PTX Pro on the first swing. They could be my unicorn iron set as I can't see anything being better for my game. I love the compact look and the Hogan V-sole works better for me. I'm not really sure why because in theory the 785s should get through the turf just as well but this is not the case for me. With the Hogans, I feel as if I can really pound down on the ball but with the 785s not so much. Again, I have to think it has to do with too light a swing weight and having limited awareness of wear the head is. The PTX Pros have a very unique feel in my opinion which are a combination of softenss and a springy face. I'm assuming this can be attributed to there semi-hollow construction. Purist will probably be a little put off by the springy feel but I found it extremely satisfying and very addictive. The KBS Tour 90 seems to be a very good fit as well and will probably be the shaft I decide to go with. The clubs seem to load in a fashion that I'm more accustomed to and the control was better than the DG pros I currently game. The Recoils had good dispersion but the lighter weight really sped up my tempo and felt a bit out of control if that makes any sense.

The UiHi was pretty much the same story as the PTX Pros. Exact same feel and stupid easy to hit off the tee. I played in the wind today and high, and straight were the default flight. My only complaint about the UiHi was that there was a smidge more offset then I like but I could definitely get past it. Didn't get to play any off the deck today but If the trend continues, I'd probably put one in the bag. This club I got with the KBS tour V and I haven't really noticed much of a difference in comparison to the tour 90's The trajectory window seems the same but the lower spin may be beneficial off the tee. It rained Yesterday, so the course was fairly soft and I was hitting it comfortably past where my four iron would typically end up.

The VKTR+ hybrid was also very impressive. They look like a more compact version of a Callaway or the older Adams with the boxy toe. I wasn't in love with the look at first but these things do perform and you quickly forget about the toe. The ball flight seems fairly neutral. My natural shot is a draw and this club doesn't overcook them like some others. If this thing was adjustable I'd give it some strong consideration. Feel is solid and has an explosive feel which seems to be the overall theme with the Hogan brand. Ball flight may be a touch too high. Id definitely go with a 19* as opposed to the 22* they sent me. 

Overall, I'm very very impressed with the Ben Hogan product line and will at the very least be moving into the PTX Pros after selling the 785s. I'd still like to try New Level at some Point but I think based on looks alone, they wont be able to nudge out the Hogans.

• Like 1