2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

T100 vs 921 tour

JLP_GOLF

Currently gaming the t100 with mmt and pretty satisfied with the set up.  For no good reason at all I picked up at 921 tour demo club and was blown away by the feel.  

looking for a direct comparison from those who have gamed both ... or any experiences at all really, thanks!

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

Currently, t100's with MMT shafts, while your signature says MP 19 MB X100????  Are you be easily distracted or swayed?  😛

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Haha still have the mp 18s but I’m very easily swayed as they were many sets ago... just didn’t update my sig.  I have way too much time and money to waste on golf equipment but I can’t seem to help it lol

Edited by Jlopicco23

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

I've hit both a fair bit w/ TI X100s. I found the 921 Tour to have a touch more ballspeed and the short irons easier to control. I wanted to love T100s but could not stop ballooning them.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

The long irons in the T100 are significantly more forgiving IMO. The T100 also looks more like a blade - squater head, slimmer top line, less offset. I prefer the feel of the Mizuno and would game them over the T100 as the long irons were too hot for me. Didn't like how the 8-PW in the T100 launched up to the moon and spun a lot while the long irons were missile launchers. Set felt inconsistent to me. 

• Like 1

Agree on the t100 producing moon balls.  Must be all the tech packed in them or something.  I actually like the longer blade length and slimmer top line of the tours.  The mizuno feel is also noticeably “better” (aka preferable to me)

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

11 hours ago, Jlopicco23 said:

Agree on the t100 producing moon balls.  Must be all the tech packed in them or something.  I actually like the longer blade length and slimmer top line of the tours.  The mizuno feel is also noticeably “better” (aka preferable to me)

If you go that way I’d consider a HMP or Forged in the 4 and maybe 5 irons. 

Rule feel out because I am guessing the Mizunos were steel shafted.  A graphite shaft in an iron will and often does change the feel completely.  Feel for most people is how we interpret the vibration and sound of a shot.  Graphite seriously reduces vibration.  If they were both graphite and the same type of shaft ignore this first part.

The T100 was on my short list of irons for this year.  I loved, loved the mid irons.  The short irons weren't my favorite, but I could get them in a playable position no problem.  The long irons while forgiving didn't spin as much as I wanted.  

I tried the 919 and 921 tour, I remove feel out of any discussion for clubs because the design of the head may make it feel better but perform worse.  Design of the head and material it is made of account for 90+% of the feel from a head.  When you add in a shaft changing system it messes with feel too. Also the type of and brand of shaft affects feel as does the grip as can hitting off of mats vs. grass.  Chasing feel in a normal fitting situation is unattainable because of all of these factors.  So I rule it out.  I try and base everything off of performance other than if an iron feels absolutely horrible, changing the shaft, grip or anything else won't make it that much better.

The 921 specifically for me wasn't good through the turf, so that tossed it out right away for me.  This is why I had the t100 on my short list and the 921 never made it there.  

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

The t100 works well for me 4-6 iron but after that the short irons have too low a cg, especially the 9-pw.  (or at least that was what we concluded).  the 921tour was great through the bag but I didn't like the offset in the short irons.  No doubt the 921 felt better.  I far preferred the combo of mmc/blade.  the mmc to me is right between the 921tour and a blade looks wise and performs closer to the t100.  The feel of titleist irons in general more firm to me and the t100 feel far more clicky to me than the mmc.  Its not something that should be a deal breaker though, i'd get used to whatever I have.  If you love the feel of mizunos and that is important then do it.  I wouldn't expect it to make a difference score wise though. 

• Like 1

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

Rule feel out because I am guessing the Mizunos were steel shafted.  A graphite shaft in an iron will and often does change the feel completely.  Feel for most people is how we interpret the vibration and sound of a shot.  Graphite seriously reduces vibration.  If they were both graphite and the same type of shaft ignore this first part.

The T100 was on my short list of irons for this year.  I loved, loved the mid irons.  The short irons weren't my favorite, but I could get them in a playable position no problem.  The long irons while forgiving didn't spin as much as I wanted.  

I tried the 919 and 921 tour, I remove feel out of any discussion for clubs because the design of the head may make it feel better but perform worse.  Design of the head and material it is made of account for 90+% of the feel from a head.  When you add in a shaft changing system it messes with feel too. Also the type of and brand of shaft affects feel as does the grip as can hitting off of mats vs. grass.  Chasing feel in a normal fitting situation is unattainable because of all of these factors.  So I rule it out.  I try and base everything off of performance other than if an iron feels absolutely horrible, changing the shaft, grip or anything else won't make it that much better.

The 921 specifically for me wasn't good through the turf, so that tossed it out right away for me.  This is why I had the t100 on my short list and the 921 never made it there.  

In what way was it not good thru the turf?

14 hours ago, wobgon said:

In what way was it not good thru the turf?

I am pretty steep, and with the wet condition I play in the winter their sharper leading edge has never been great for me in general.   The 921's were a lot better than other Mizuno irons from my memory, but not as good as the irons that made my short list.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

921 wasn’t good thru the turf, does that mean there was too little of bounce and you found them to be digging? 

t100 a little bit more cambered from what I understand and plays pretty balanced through the turf. 

9 hours ago, MofoJones said:

921 wasn’t good thru the turf, does that mean there was too little of bounce and you found them to be digging? 

t100 a little bit more cambered from what I understand and plays pretty balanced through the turf. 

I think the real difference on these two is when you come into the ball. Unless your low point is well forward the Mizuno grind can catch up in the turf early. The Titleist leading edge relief helps to avoid that which is why TXG recommends them for what they refer to as shallow players, but realistically it's that you're coming in close to the ball. Shallow does matter though. I think the myth that "Mizuno is for pickers" is quite incorrect. Mizuno are for people very in control of their low point with pretty neutral AoA numbers. When you pure them and get that strike way out in front of the ball they actually have exceptional turf interaction. They're just pretty much unusable for somebody that has a miss where they hang back because they'll dig a trench behind the ball. I messed with 921 Tour for a bit (sold due to shaft) and even in sopping wet Canadian pre season turf they were great. Nothing like a razor sharp Miura blade which will dig trenches after the ball even with the long irons. 

I'm now playing Apex MB '18 and they have very high bounce. It gives the club more of a thump through the turf after the ball where the Mizunos are smooth and just feel off a nice section of grass. Still get a great divot with the Apex and the bounce helps it come out of the turf but it has a different feel. Anecdotally, I do find the MB '18 more forgiving for whatever reason and part of that may be the extra bounce. 

23 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think the real difference on these two is when you come into the ball. Unless your low point is well forward the Mizuno grind can catch up in the turf early. The Titleist leading edge relief helps to avoid that which is why TXG recommends them for what they refer to as shallow players, but realistically it's that you're coming in close to the ball. Shallow does matter though. I think the myth that "Mizuno is for pickers" is quite incorrect. Mizuno are for people very in control of their low point with pretty neutral AoA numbers. When you pure them and get that strike way out in front of the ball they actually have exceptional turf interaction. They're just pretty much unusable for somebody that has a miss where they hang back because they'll dig a trench behind the ball. I messed with 921 Tour for a bit (sold due to shaft) and even in sopping wet Canadian pre season turf they were great. Nothing like a razor sharp Miura blade which will dig trenches after the ball even with the long irons. 

I'm now playing Apex MB '18 and they have very high bounce. It gives the club more of a thump through the turf after the ball where the Mizunos are smooth and just feel off a nice section of grass. Still get a great divot with the Apex and the bounce helps it come out of the turf but it has a different feel. Anecdotally, I do find the MB '18 more forgiving for whatever reason and part of that may be the extra bounce. 

Always appreciate the detailed response.

I'm back to my Mizuno MP-58's which are fairly sharp/little bounce and I just enjoy it so much. I also play a linksy type of course with year round firm conditions. I am shallow in delivery I believe (haven't been on technology in over a year). My miss is usually thin, most of my strikes leave a like a 1/4 inch depth very level divot. 

I seem to enjoy sharp leading edges and low bounce. Struggled with all Ping models which are notorious for high bounce. Struggled with the VT Soles too - just bounced off the firm conditions excessively.