Los Angeles Area Country Clubs/Public Courses

Hey folks! I just moved to LA from the Bay Area and I’m looking to find my new spots for golf and to meet people. I work from home so it’s been tough to meet people during COVID, so I’m considering joining a country club if they have a junior membership (am 28). I’ve scheduled tours with Oakmont, Braemar, and La Canada Flintridge CC.

I live literally steps away from Wilshire CC but looks way out of my price range. I’m also wanting to play all the LA City courses but getting tee times has been a beast. I have a Hansen Dam and a Roosevelt tee time next week but getting Rancho Park or Wilson tee times has been impossible. 

Hoping for some local knowledge/tips on SoCal golf and recommendations for a new resident hoping to grow a network down here. 

welcome to LA!

100% muni guy here and here are some course to try.. 

Brookside in Pasadena

Whitter narrows in Rosemead 

montebello country club - short course 

Harding (next to Wilson) should be easier to get on. 

los amigos 

Monterey park golf course- Driving range with 9 hole for practice 

- if you can, take the hour drive to rustic canyon. You won’t be disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to LA - muni golf is tough here.  Get yourself and LA City golf card.  You will get access to tee times 9 days out (vs 7 days for regular public).  That said, i've not been able to get a tee time at Rancho in over a year.  Rustic is worth the drive and there are plenty of muni's in Long Beach (bit of a drive for you if you are near Wilshire).  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tw422 said:

Welcome to LA - muni golf is tough here.  Get yourself and LA City golf card.  You will get access to tee times 9 days out (vs 7 days for regular public).  That said, i've not been able to get a tee time at Rancho in over a year.  Rustic is worth the drive and there are plenty of muni's in Long Beach (bit of a drive for you if you are near Wilshire).  

Yeah! Skylinks and El dorado in LB are sweet.

also rio Hondo 

oakmont in Glendale is fire! 

Edited by TIM929
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys! I am planning on getting my LA City Golf card as soon as my clubs get here - it seems like it’s the only way to get a decent tee time. I was able to get tee times for Hansen Dam and Roosevelt for next week but that was about all that was available. I haven’t seen one negative thing said about Rustic Canyon, I need to get out there!! I live closest to Rancho Park of the public courses but it seems like even the residents can barely get a time there. Crazy! 

LA area Muni golf is pretty mediocre. Rancho is one of the better ones. I haven't played there in years and don't have photos.  Here are photos of some of the better ones that have been mentioned and a few that haven't been mentioned.  The real stand out is Rustic Canyon, it can be a hike to get to, but worth the drive. The photos below are links to photos of the courses.

Rustic Canyon Golf Course

Rustic Canyon

Brookside - C.W. Koiner Golf Course

Koiner Course at Brookside

Griffith Park - Wilson Golf Course

Wilson Course at Griffith Park

Chester Washington - LA Muni Golf Course

Chester Washington

Los Verdes Muni Golf Course

Los Verdes

Edited by sabram
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vikingerik1992 said:

Awesome!! Can’t wait to play Rustic Canyon. And my plan is definitely to play most of the local public courses and network before I join a CC, but I plan on doing so sometime soon. Wish I could get a tee time at Wilson or Rancho since they’re so close to me. Thank you for all the info!

I used to play Rancho every Friday morning.  Prior to pandemic I could log on with city card the prior Wed AM and get an early AM time for the following Friday.  It's been a year since I've been able to get a time prior to 11am.  Actually, I've not seen times available before 4pm at Rancho for the last 12 months and haven't played there in over a year.  Would love to know how people are getting the early times.  

12 minutes ago, tw422 said:

I used to play Rancho every Friday morning.  Prior to pandemic I could log on with city card the prior Wed AM and get an early AM time for the following Friday.  It's been a year since I've been able to get a time prior to 11am.  Actually, I've not seen times available before 4pm at Rancho for the last 12 months and haven't played there in over a year.  Would love to know how people are getting the early times.  

That is incredible!! I wonder if people who join Rancho Park’s “club” get access to times 10 or more days in advance and just gobble them all up. Insane. 

Alright, I'll say it. Rustic Canyon is over rated. Grew up 15 min from the course and play it once a year to remind myself how much I don't like it. (The green on #12 needs to be blown up) If youre up for a drive, head up to Olivas Links or Soule Park. I have never felt more peace on a golf course than at Soule Park. Playing in that valley is special. 

I have not seen the greens at Rancho better than they are now. Really smooth, surprisingly. But it is a struggle to get out there. A good friend of mine just joined Oakmont. Says he loves it and is out there every singe day. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chicagofigure said:

Alright, I'll say it. Rustic Canyon is over rated. Grew up 15 min from the course and play it once a year to remind myself how much I don't like it. (The green on #12 needs to be blown up) If youre up for a drive, head up to Olivas Links or Soule Park. I have never felt more peace on a golf course than at Soule Park. Playing in that valley is special. 

I have not seen the greens at Rancho better than they are now. Really smooth, surprisingly. But it is a struggle to get out there. A good friend of mine just joined Oakmont. Says he loves it and is out there every singe day. Good luck.

Love the contrarian opinion.  What would you do to #12 green?

Also heard Oakmont is nice.

19 hours ago, Chicagofigure said:

... play it once a year to remind myself how much I don't like it. (The green on #12 needs to be blown up) 

What don't you like about #12 green or the rest of the course. I think the greens at Rustic are part of what make it so good. They have a load of internal movement, a couple false fronts or sides that require some thought on the approach shots and putts,  and are a lot of fun.

I understand that point of view. #8 comes to mind since its such a short hole, but the mound in the middle of the green on 12 is just too severe. If the wind is up, it is impossible to even keep the ball on that green. Our group has had to walk off the course because of that problem. I just do not think that you are rewarded enough for good shots overall. But I see the appeal for people who are not around this area, cheap, remote and relatively quick. But id rather go up the 101 and play at Olivas any day of the week. 

Last I heard Oakmont was member invite only. You must have an in with someone :). It was my high school golf team's home course and it's a nice track. I've wanted to join for a long time but it's on the pricier side and lots of the members are old money. To be honest LA mini courses are more trouble than they're worth. It's been nearly impossible to get even a Thursday morning tee time unless you have a resident/players card. Make the drive out to the IE and you'll play some decent courses. If you can swing the $$$ private would be the way to go. Problem is a lot of the good ones aren't hurting for members and it could be hard to get in. Hacienda CC is probably the nicest one in the area and they won't even return my emails lol. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, Chicagofigure said:

I understand that point of view. #8 comes to mind since its such a short hole, but the mound in the middle of the green on 12 is just too severe. If the wind is up, it is impossible to even keep the ball on that green. Our group has had to walk off the course because of that problem. I just do not think that you are rewarded enough for good shots overall. But I see the appeal for people who are not around this area, cheap, remote and relatively quick. But id rather go up the 101 and play at Olivas any day of the week. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:12 PM, leatherwedge said:

Played Olivas Links for the first time this weekend and was impressed. Excellent course and a terrific value. Unfortunately it's quite a drive for me. I like Rustic Canyon quite a bit but also tend to think it's a little over-hyped.

High praise for Olivas Links. Looks like about an hour and a half drive for me but a great course. I’ve also heard Soule Park and Ojai Valley courses are great if you’re driving all that way. So many to try out, super exciting. Have really enjoyed my rounds so far. Wilson was great, Harding was impressive. Balboa/Encino were pretty rough. I play Rancho and Roosevelt next week and just booked Rustic Canyon for next Sunday the 21st. 👍🏻👍🏻

4 hours ago, vikingerik1992 said:

High praise for Olivas Links. Looks like about an hour and a half drive for me but a great course. I’ve also heard Soule Park and Ojai Valley courses are great if you’re driving all that way. So many to try out, super exciting. Have really enjoyed my rounds so far. Wilson was great, Harding was impressive. Balboa/Encino were pretty rough. I play Rancho and Roosevelt next week and just booked Rustic Canyon for next Sunday the 21st. 👍🏻👍🏻

Roosevelt is the best 9 in the LA area, you’re going to have a blast. Just a head up, it’s not like Wilson or Harding.. majority of the dudes there are in hoodies, tee shirts, dodgers jerseys, and shorts. Only the older crowd are in golf attire. Culture there is the LA locals from hipsters, hip hop, ceo, lawyers, welders, etc...  it’s a good mix of ppl. 

also, as mentioned before- get a round at Los verdes.. it’s a pretty sick course/view. 

Edited by TIM929
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, vikingerik1992 said:

I live literally steps away from Wilshire CC but looks way out of my price range.

Have you contacted Wilshire?  I know a couple guys who joined in their early 30's and they weren't paying full rate (this was about 3-4 years ago).

Edited by act0fgod

• 2 weeks later...

Its headache inducing trying to get a tee time in LA now. I have been playing Sand Canyon Country Club (public) almost every weekend. Its the only place I can guarantee finding a tee time for my group. It used to be the old Robinson Ranch course prior to the fires and I've been enjoying the rounds out here. They've put money and time into it and it shows. Its in Santa Clarita so depending on what part of town you're in it can be a hike. 

The other course I haven't seen mentioned is Tierra Rejada, but thats out near Rustic Canyon as well. I have basically given up trying to find a tee time close to the city... It sounds like I need to play Olivas Links ASAP from what I hear. 

1 hour ago, steelcityjdd said:

The other course I haven't seen mentioned is Tierra Rejada

I know some people aren't fans of Tierra but I love that course. Front 9 is awesome and reminds me of Lost Canyons (seriously miss that course, was one of my favorite courses I've played). Lots of elevation changes and sloping fairways. Back 9 is a bit less crazy but still fun.

Also right now I'm working out at Simi Hills. Unbelievable how busy it is here, stupid hard to get an early tee time. It's basically been this way at every course in the area since the lockdown lifted back in April/May last year. We just aerated our greens Monday and Tuesday and the tee sheet today was fully booked until 3pm, like wtf lol.

@vikingerik1992 looks like you're more toward the LA Metro area but if you have any questions on the courses a bit more out west in the Conejo Valley region feel free to ask, played almost all of them out this way.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

Hey folks! Appreciate all the responses!! Seems like everyone in all regions of SoCal are affected massively by the lack of tee times. And it seems like almost every course has been negatively affected by being overplayed and seeing a lot about long 5+ hour rounds. 

I have so far racked up: Rancho Park (very nice), Wilson (excellent), Harding (great), Roosevelt (nice), Balboa/Encino (not great), MountainGate (really mediocre for a country club) and Braemar. I ended up joining Braemar and I love being able to get a tee time whenever I want (even if all 3 9’s are ridiculously narrow and viciously difficult). 

My list of courses I need to play (North to South):

Rustic Canyon

Olivas Links

Tierra Rejada

Soule Park

Ojai Valley

Brookside

Los Verdes

Pelican Hill

Monarch Beach

Torrey Pines

PM me if you want to set something up, would be great to meet some fellow golfers down here! 

• Like 1

I've heard that about Braemar.  There's a YouTube vlogger (Mr. Short Game) who used to belong to Braemar (he's moved to GA) and you could see just how tight it was from his vlogs.  Looks like it's conditioned well just really tight. 

Out of curiosity - what was the deal to join Braemar?  Was is better/worse than Mountaingate (initiation/dues)?

Edited by tw422

• 3 weeks later...

LA City courses are allowing walk-ons now. Got to Rancho early last week and figured I'll just hit the range if I can't get on. Was lucky there was a no-show so was able to get on. According to the guys that were able to get tee times, there are a few people getting City Cards booking tee times with bots as soon as they become available and they're reselling them for a surcharge of $10 per person. They wouldn't share their contact with me since they didn't want more competition or for me to report the guy and they lose out on their privilege.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 🔸🔸🔸 LS 9.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52.09 - Project X 6.5

Taylormade MG3 56.12; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60* - Project X 6.0

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid

1 hour ago, smrtchar said:

LA City courses are allowing walk-ons now. Got to Rancho early last week and figured I'll just hit the range if I can't get on. Was lucky there was a no-show so was able to get on. According to the guys that were able to get tee times, there are a few people getting City Cards booking tee times with bots as soon as they become available and they're reselling them for a surcharge of $10 per person. They wouldn't share their contact with me since they didn't want more competition or for me to report the guy and they lose out on their privilege.

Man that really pisses me off to hear although I knew this was going on. total f'ing BS.  why doesn't the city step in and do something about it?  ridiculous.  how are they reselling after they book the tee time?  the city needs to come up with a better system.