Wedge gapping...is this typical?

I've rearranged my wedge setup recently and am currently playing these:

Srixon 765 PW

Srixon 785 AW (new)

Cleveland RTX4 54/10 (new)

Cleveland RTX4 58/8

When I practice wedges on the range I typically hit full swings and 3/4 swings. That 3/4 swing feel has always been a very controlled, precise shot for me. If I am facing a 100 yard shot I will almost always choose a 3/4 PW because it just feels so easy to execute. 

As I worked through my shots I noticed that my 3/4 distance with one club perfectly matches my full swing distance with my next most lofted club. Like this:

PW  120/100

AW  100/80

54    80/60

58    60/45

I guess I've never had my wedges gapped this well for whatever reason, but I like the idea of having two different ways to hit reliable 100 or 80 or 60 yard shots. Hopefully I can control spin and trajectory better this season than in prior years. 

Is this something you consider when gapping your wedges? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Use what works for you.  To me any shot less than 75 yards needs to be hit with less than a full swing so it's important to learn how to finesse short shots, and that doesn't need to be limited to the

Two wedges to get the same yardage? That's something I shied away from when I went from four to three wedges. With four wedges, had several cells with yardage overlap. (Old 46 and 50 replaced with 48)

Personally, no.   I gap based on the full swing for my wedges knowing that if I need to change something up for trajectory/spin reasons I can just use a lower loft and swing easier.  

Use what works for you.  To me any shot less than 75 yards needs to be hit with less than a full swing so it's important to learn how to finesse short shots, and that doesn't need to be limited to the shortest club in the bag.

A friend and playing partner of mine is great at those short finesse shots.  Last Sunday he hit an 8 iron from 125 and stuck it close.  I scratched my head on that one since I don't have that shot in my bag.  Gapping smapping.  Play golf.

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

It doesn't seem like you are hitting your 54,58 very far for a full swing, considering you hit your PW 120.  If you are just going at it with a smooth swing, that's cool, but it could be a technique issue, maybe not getting enough shaft lean and getting scoopy?  

On the other hand, if you are consistent with those distances, and you are controlling your ball, then just go with it.  It seems all of your gaps are covered.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I think you're definitely on the right track, but I wouldn't say that necessarily crosses my mind when I go through a gapping analysis on my wedges.  I play z765's as well but I go from the 46* PW to a 50/55/60 in SM8s.  When inside 120 yards I've always felt its important to have the ability to hit multiple clubs with multiple trajectories depending on what the shot calls for. Like you said, maybe I'll hit a soft PW from 90 yards instead of a 55*

Interesting that you go 46-51-54-58 and find them consistent with gaps of 5-3-4.  But that's why gapping is important to actually do instead of relying on the number on the club!

Sim2 8* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 70x

Ping i20 17*

Srixon z765 (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 w/ Project X 6.5 (50/56/60)

Kevin Burns 9306

I play a 46 PW and then a 52 and 58 wedge setup. This works for all shots under 100 yds depending on what I want to do and very rarely am I hitting a full shot on these. Moved from a 50, 56, 58 wedge setup to this, so I could put a on the top of the bag as getting exact gapping that close to the hole wasn't where I was losing shots.

Cobra F7 10.5 set at 9.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F6 set at 14.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F7 2/3 Hybrid set at 17.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra ForgedTec 3 Utility set at 20 Catalyst 6.0

Callaway Apex Pro 16 4-P Recoil 110 F4

TaylorMade Hi Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey Versa 9

44 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Is this something you consider when gapping your wedges? 

Personally, no.

I gap based on the full swing for my wedges knowing that if I need to change something up for trajectory/spin reasons I can just use a lower loft and swing easier.

I also have tighter gaps for my full swing yardages.

• Like 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I don't know if it's common, but it does NOT work out that way for me.

• Like 1

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

8 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

It doesn't seem like you are hitting your 54,58 very far for a full swing, considering you hit your PW 120.  If you are just going at it with a smooth swing, that's cool, but it could be a technique issue, maybe not getting enough shaft lean and getting scoopy?  

On the other hand, if you are consistent with those distances, and you are controlling your ball, then just go with it.  It seems all of your gaps are covered.  

For sure. My swing speed is low for my fitness level and my release does tend to get scoopy esp. when I make a balanced, controlled swing. Working on that with my pro. Learning how to go after it more. Just got to get that from the lesson tee to the golf course!

20 minutes ago, Nessism said:

A friend and playing partner of mine is great at those short finesse shots.  Last Sunday he hit an 8 iron from 125 and stuck it close.  I scratched my head on that one since I don't have that shot in my bag.  Gapping smapping.  Play golf.

This is something else that has been on my mind lately. Oddly, it's because I've learned to play that way on the PGA Tour 2k21 XBOX game. However on the game you can easily zoom up and examine the contours of the green, and the game tells you exactly what the wind is doing. 🙂

I play three main shots with my 8 iron down.

"Full" swing

Cut swing

Knock Draw swing

My goal?  

A. Have a shot I can get to most flags, or at least the correct type of shot to hopefully the correct side of the green.

B. Have three stock yardages I hit with each club.

B gives me good gapping from 160 down to hit more shots pin high without some crazy change I don't practice.  Being pin high and attacking the correct pins is the biggest difference between good and great players. 

It is no secret where the pros really destroy great am's is with proximity to the hole and GIR. 

• Like 1
  • Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons = Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, MD5 54*, 60* Mid Zipcore all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
2 minutes ago, me05501 said:

For sure. My swing speed is low for my fitness level and my release does tend to get scoopy esp. when I make a balanced, controlled swing. Working on that with my pro. Learning how to go after it more. Just got to get that from the lesson tee to the golf course!

My though would be then that your 3/4 swings are pretty good distance wise, you need to learn to maximize your swing with the higher lofted wedges, if those distances pick up about 10 yards the gaps will make more sense.  You are probably adding loft at impact instead of delofting.  

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Two wedges to get the same yardage? That's something I shied away from when I went from four to three wedges. With four wedges, had several cells with yardage overlap. (Old 46 and 50 replaced with 48)

Started out two years ago with 48-54-60, but swapped out 60 for 58 - see below. (60 too inconsistent on yardage). And, I use a three-quarter 9i to cover gap between 9i and 48.

For future fine-tuning of your wedge game, consider special wedge grips. These are longer than standard grips to allow more choking down on shaft, and have reduced taper so you don't roll your hands too much when choking down.

Ping has a Dylawedge version, and Lamkin has the Crossfire 1150+.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

4 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Started out two years ago with 48-54-60, but swapped out 60 for 58 - see below. (60 too inconsistent on yardage). And, I use a three-quarter 9i to cover gap between 9i and 48.

For future fine-tuning of your wedge game, consider special wedge grips. These are longer than standard grips to allow more choking down on shaft, and have reduced taper so you don't roll your hands too much when choking down.

Ping has a Dylawedge version, and Lamkin has the Crossfire 1150+.

Did not know that about wedge grips and it never crossed my mind that this was an option. Thanks for this info. Like you, I only play 2 wedges (not including PW), so this would be really interesting to try.

Cobra F7 10.5 set at 9.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F6 set at 14.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F7 2/3 Hybrid set at 17.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra ForgedTec 3 Utility set at 20 Catalyst 6.0

Callaway Apex Pro 16 4-P Recoil 110 F4

TaylorMade Hi Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey Versa 9