I have been thinking for a long time about changing out my longer irons 3-5 irons for more of a player iron. I have been gaming Mizuno MP32s for almost 14 years now and love them to death. I want to keep Mizuno in my bag. What are some popular combos for Mizuno blades that are maybe just a step down from blades? I want to keep them more in line with blade style vs bulky high handicapper irons.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first reaction are the Hot Metal Blades

MP20 line is amazing. The MMC is a spectacular Mizuno iron that has a slight cavity, but most definitely a players iron.    if you wanna get wild you can always chuck an HMB in a 4i in there. 

Used to play 32s too and regret selling them.  MMCs are phenomenal.  I even have a backup set lol

My first reaction are the Hot Metal Blades

• Like 1

EFSZ 9* (Ventus Blue VeloCore 6S) / 0811X+ Proto 10.5* (TZ5 Proto 55S) / G400LST 10* (Tensei CK White 60S).

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19* (MMT 80S)

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW (SteelFiber i95S)

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid (TI S400); HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
SC Red X2 / WHP 7CS

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Backups: F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

Used to play 32s too and regret selling them.  MMCs are phenomenal.  I even have a backup set lol

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, MRC Tensei AV Blue 

Callaway Epic Flash 3W, 3/4 hybrids, MRC Tensei AV Blue 

Callaway Apex DCB 4-AW, TT Elevate 

Callaway MD5 54*/58* wedges, TT Dynamic Gold

Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E

I love the MP 5s that I play from 6-PW so I'd suggest mixing those with just about whatever long irons you want to use.

Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, OG Aldila NV 75s
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow

I agree with the above posters on the MMC.. Such an incredible iron that I think gets slightly overlooked in the Mizuno lineup. Just keep in mind that the MMC have stronger lofts than the MP32. I went with MMC/MB combo with the MMC bent weak to match the MB stock lofts. However, I'm honestly considering switching to a full 4-PW in the MMC with weaker lofts.

I’ve played Mizunos irons for years. Currently have MP18s mixed. The Fli Hi 4-5, MMC 6-8, SC 9-PW, and some T-20s wedges. This set works works great for me. I’m a big fan of mixing. A nit-pick drawback is that its a little harder to do MOI matching (or even SW matching) since the heads have different MOI and BBGM. If I upgrade this year (MP22?) I’ll likely look to do a mixed set again. The entire setup of MP18 and MP20 families were actually designed to facilitate mixing. I think that was a really smart design decision,

I went with the blades in the MP-20s through 5 iron and then went with an HMB 4 iron. If I were to do it over again, I would probably go blades through 6 iron. And then 4 and 5 iron in the MMC. I'm not a huge fan of the HMB -- it's fine -- but the blades are spectacular and the MMC is a perfect longer iron club with some forgiveness and slightly stronger lofts but with nearly the same great feel as the blades.

Mizuno Stz 9.5 Ventus Blue 6x

TM 300 Mini 13.5 Ventus Blue 7x

Mizuno Stz 3w 5w Ventus Blue 7x

Mizuno Mp20 Hmb 4i Ventus Blue 9x

Mizuno Mp20 Mb 5i-9i Modus Tour 120

SM8 46F 50F 54D 60D Modus Tour 120

Ping Tyne 4 (2021) || Titleist Pro V1 #68

If you want to stay oldschool and do an affordable experiment, try the MP-15. Great looking irons with a thin topline and a little easier to hit than blades. Admittedly, they aren’t as forgiving as the latest cavity back models, but they feel and sound great. 

I have a combo set of 4-6 MP-15/7-PW MP-33. Lofts strengthened by 1 deg. in the 33s. 

They look great and give me that little bit of added confidence in the longer irons. Easy to find single irons on eBay. 

23 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

I agree with the above posters on the MMC.. Such an incredible iron that I think gets slightly overlooked in the Mizuno lineup. Just keep in mind that the MMC have stronger lofts than the MP32. I went with MMC/MB combo with the MMC bent weak to match the MB stock lofts. However, I'm honestly considering switching to a full 4-PW in the MMC with weaker lofts.

Absolutely agree. I played an MP32/MP60 blended set for 15 years. After trying a couple different things I'm in a full set of MMCs and it's awesome. It was an ideal purchase opportunity or else I might've done an MMC/MB blend. I suppose I still could as the 8-iron is the ideal spot to have the last MB so I'd only be buying three new clubs and gaining practice clubs in the MMCs. Anyhow, totally agree on the lofts. I have them set at 4* gaps from stock 46* PW down to 22* 4-iron and I think it's the ideal setup for them. Cheers!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

If you want to stay oldschool and do an affordable experiment, try the MP-15. Great looking irons with a thin topline and a little easier to hit than blades. Admittedly, they aren’t as forgiving as the latest cavity back models, but they feel and sound great. 

I have a combo set of 4-6 MP-15/7-PW MP-33. Lofts strengthened by 1 deg. in the 33s. 

They look great and give me that little bit of added confidence in the longer irons. Easy to find single irons on eBay. 

can relate, I used to play mp59 set, the titanium back models carry further with pretty good consistency. the two tone titanium and forged steel are no less pretty than pure blades.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, forrester_fire said:

Going for a fitting next week and I'll probably be looking at Mizuno combo options.  My fitter doesn't have the Srixon heads, so that makes my decision process that much easier.  I'm thinking either an MMC/HMB combo or full set of 921 Forged

Go full set of MMCs...there is no reason to combo the MMCs w HMBs

On 3/4/2021 at 3:46 PM, Ryan19jwu said:

MP20 line is amazing. The MMC is a spectacular Mizuno iron that has a slight cavity, but most definitely a players iron. 

if you wanna get wild you can always chuck an HMB in a 4i in there. 

This is my setup

MP-20 

4 - HMB

5-P MMC

Love Them!

M3 9.5* - ACCRA TZ5 265 M5      M5 Rocket 14* Matrix Black 8M3    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
TM 2014 TP 4-PW DG TI X100     RTX4  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     Evnroll ER5    Titleist  Players 4
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013
3 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

I've got MMCs in my heart, but not sure I've got the game (~12).  Chances are I'll play it safe and go with the JPX Forged.

Hmmm, try the HMB's - softer feel with the copper layer and fairly forgiving. I find them easier than the 919F. The 921F is Chromoly up to 7i. The HMB has a Chromoly face and neck through 8i.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● Ping G425 22 HY/TPT Golf ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, Mizuno T20 Wedges

18 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

I've got MMCs in my heart, but not sure I've got the game (~12).  Chances are I'll play it safe and go with the JPX Forged.

I used to play 900F before switching to the MMCs. The JPX forged offered no more forgiveness than the MMCs.

There's nothing difficult or punishing about the MMCs.  Visually they're not intimidating at address.

1 hour ago, aquapig said:

I used to play 900F before switching to the MMCs. The JPX forged offered no more forgiveness than the MMCs.

There's nothing difficult or punishing about the MMCs.  Visually they're not intimidating at address.

I've been playing the 850 Forged for the last 5 years and played the MP-57 (as an ~18) before those, so you're probably right.  I'll definitely hit them during my fitting.

Do you play them all the way up to 4i?

Edited by forrester_fire
16 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I've been playing the 850 Forged for the last 5 years and played the MP-57 (as an ~18) before those, so you're probably right.  I'll definitely hit them during my fitting.

Do you play them all the way up to 4i?

Yep. 

I've played MP-57 as well and if you had no issues with them, you will be fine with the MMCs.

Are you being fit on grass?

47 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Yep. 

I've played MP-57 as well and if you had no issues with them, you will be fine with the MMCs.

Are you being fit on grass?

Indoors, unfortunately.  I don't know that any grass ranges are open this early in the season here (central Indiana).  I'm a sweeper who rarely takes (much of) a divot, so turf interaction isn't a huge consideration for me.

33 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

Indoors, unfortunately.  I don't know that any grass ranges are open this early in the season here (central Indiana).  I'm a sweeper who rarely takes (much of) a divot, so turf interaction isn't a huge consideration for me.

Do you plan to purchase from the fitter or are you just going to figure out what shaft/head combo you like best?

Went from JPX900Forged to JPX921Tours (6-P) & MP20 HMB (3-5). Thought some might find it odd but I did it because I couldn't pick between both sets so I decided on this "strange" mix, until I saw that J.Day put a similar mix in his bag recently. The HMBs are great but they feel quite hollow because of how it's constructed. The JPX921Ts feel solid though

52 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Do you plan to purchase from the fitter or are you just going to figure out what shaft/head combo you like best?

I'll more likely than not purchase through the fitter.  If I purchase through him, he'll handle any loft/lie adjustments, free of charge, for the life of the clubs.  

Edited by forrester_fire

Only my personal experience, but don’t assume that the HMB in the longer irons  is an easier to hit option - I tried a 4 and 5 hmb to go with mmc/blade combo and I hated them. MMC was a much better fit even in the longer irons, and I flip flop between using them and callaway x forged ut. Really unimpressed by the hmb for some reason - sprayed it all over the place, they didn’t launch any higher or go any further, and just didn’t work for me.