Chrome Soft X LS

phizzy30

Does anyone know if any site is selling the LS at Buy 3, Get 1 free? I already checked golfballs.com, rockbottomgolf.com, tgw.com, and callawaygolf.com

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Maybe I'm jaded but isn't this a Callaway branded solution to better balls that already exist? TP5x and Bridgestone BX as well as Left Dash are top tier solutions to this problem. I loathe every iteration of Chrome Soft(hence the jaded reference) and that feeling is just solidified by the fact no pros and even some staff pro's don't even play the retail models. Unless you are a Callaway loyalist why wouldn't the player this fits just play a better ball and call it a day?

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5 - Fujikura Evo II 665 X

Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* - Fujikura Speeder Evo V 757 X

4-PW Titleist CNCPT CP02 True Temper Monaco X

46, 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 Raw - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade Spider Tour

21 hours ago, jds101086 said:

Maybe I'm jaded but isn't this a Callaway branded solution to better balls that already exist? TP5x and Bridgestone BX as well as Left Dash are top tier solutions to this problem. I loathe every iteration of Chrome Soft(hence the jaded reference) and that feeling is just solidified by the fact no pros and even some staff pro's don't even play the retail models. Unless you are a Callaway loyalist why wouldn't the player this fits just play a better ball and call it a day?

You're jaded.

5 hours ago, belh22 said:

Whether you’re a callaway loyalist or not maybe this ball is better for someone. You play what works for you and maybe this one will for someone else. I have played Tp5x and left dash but I am going to try this ball to see if it is equal or better than those two. And I am not a fanboy at all. 

Played both myself and have some CSXLS ready to go for tomorrow. I already really like the yellow they used.

• Like 1

Grabbed a box of CSX and CSXLS and noticed the LS has a bit of a click to it when putting, definitely the firmest feeling out of the higher end balls. Not a big deal for me and probably won't notice it when on the course and outside. I'm more curious to see how they perform overall just something odd I noticed. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, Professor E said:

The ERC Soft is my gamer

Have you tried the new version of the ERC Soft? I found it even longer, maybe a touch more spin but still soft in feel. I had switched from the original ERC Soft to the 2020 CS because the CS was longer. Now the new ERC Soft is at least as long as the 2020 CS for me.

7 hours ago, phil75070 said:

Have you tried the new version of the ERC Soft? I found it even longer, maybe a touch more spin but still soft in feel. I had switched from the original ERC Soft to the 2020 CS because the CS was longer. Now the new ERC Soft is at least as long as the 2020 CS for me.

About how much length are you picking up with the new 2020 ERC Soft as compared to the original 2018 ERC? 

14 hours ago, Professor E said:

About how much length are you picking up with the new 2020 ERC Soft as compared to the original 2018 ERC? 

Compared to the original ERC? Tough to say as conditions under which I played it were cold and windy with damp fairways. If I had to guess, on average about 3-5 yards off the driver when compared to the original ERC and as long as and maybe a couple of yards longer than the 2020 CS for me. This is what I get. As always, YMMV.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, awtryau89 said:

I was all set to go all in with Callaway balls this year. Triple Track on the ball has been a game changer for my putting and alignment. I played a dozen regular CS during the colder winter months and was fine with them. Was going to try this and the regular X for my warmer weather ball. Got a sleeve of X Triple Tracks and played 1 ball this week. It had to be one of the worst balls I have tried for durability. Half way into the round normal play it was chewed up. Never saw this with regular CS. Back to the Titleist LD for me and my stencil.

Is the triple-line stencil as effective as the manf'r version? 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

2 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

For the alignment and my eyes, yes. I actually like it better as it is a bit wider than the Triple Track. For play, my issue is hitting the ball in the area marked causes smears and the lines to come off. I've tried Sharpies and Milwaukee but both come off easily. Going to order some Sharpie Extremes and try those.

Played the ball for about a week and a half. Did a little write up of it in my WITB thread. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Found one on course today. So many Cally balls have felt clicky to me but this thing feels great. I like the TP5x and this thing would certainly compete. Really nice ball. 

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

22 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

From what I understand of the science behind Triple Track, the colors, thickness and spacing of the lines is critical. The stencil gives a reasonably good approximation and I doubt that anyone's ability to properly line the ball up would really be affected that much.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

From what I understand of the science behind Triple Track, the colors, thickness and spacing of the lines is critical. The stencil gives a reasonably good approximation and I doubt that anyone's ability to properly line the ball up would really be affected that much.

Oh wow, it's more than just convenient then. I 'bayed a stencil but will have to get a dozen to try out and compare. 

18 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Oh wow, it's more than just convenient then. I 'bayed a stencil but will have to get a dozen to try out and compare. 

I tried both and preferred the wider look of my stencil. I also do not use multiple colors. I am sure there is science behind the Cally version. I do know I tried a TT putter with the ball together for a round and couldn't stand it. It made me feel I had to be too precise and it took forever for me to line everything up. I couldn't make my playing partners go through that very often.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

I tried both and preferred the wider look of my stencil. I also do not use multiple colors. I am sure there is science behind the Cally version. I do know I tried a TT putter with the ball together for a round and couldn't stand it. It made me feel I had to be too precise and it took forever for me to line everything up. I couldn't make my playing partners go through that very often.

So I bought a TT 2-ball blade/mallet hybrid and got some of the CSX and CSXLS balls last night to try out. Funny you say that but I had a similar experience. It actually bothered me that I wasn't "lining" everything up perfectly. 

Dug out 2 Chrome Softs to try against the Chrome Soft X and LS for some practice putting. Definitely a difference in feel between the three. The CS has a pretty solid "thunk" at impact and feels noticeably softer. There's a big jump from CS to X with more of a "click" in the X and a firmer feel. The difference between the X and LS is less, but still there. Outside with distractions and noise I don't think I'd really notice it, or it would bother me. Both rolled nicely.

If I had to choose I would putt with the Chrome Soft regular 

❤ this ball!

It reminds me of the earlier Srixon XV, probably the 2012 one where the ball was DEFINITELY lower spin off driver and irons and the Pros were whining about it until SpinSkin came along. But this CSXLS is better.

Picked these balls up last evening. I was actually looking for the Gen 7 XV yellows but Roger Dunn did not have any instock. But they did have the CSXLS, so I heard good reviews from this thread and bought them.

Did the saline test and the 2 sleeves tested perfect. I just simply put into play this morning and it flat out performed. No IFs or Buts.

Great off the driver. Matched to my Epic Max LS and the Black Velocore, it is just magic. Drives were dead straight, some were a little "poppy" but thats my swing not-so-right but hell, it still got out there.

Irons were fantastic. I am a high spin player and it just kills me with the high ball and I really just need some spin reduction and the CSXLS provides it. Also, I tend to overdraw the ball as my miss but this ball was spot on. I hit some great shots today.

Chipping/Pitching. Did not chunk any pitch or chip shots so the ball did exactly what I asked of it.Wasn't super soft and it felt like my XV.

Putting. Not my best day. A lot of chances for birds but there was always something on the green that threw off the ball, typically an unseen fork in the path. No problem adapting to the ball to the putter. Just not going in, thats all.

74. 2 over round with 1 bird and 3 bogeys.

Durability - hit one massive branch but other than that, it was just grass. I looked at the ball and no issues. No scaling like I typically see of the Callaway balls of the past (ala the Hex Tour).

Well, I got 2 dozen to use. The CSXLS is off to an impressive start IMHO. Great ball Callaway!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Bought a dozen.  Played 3 rounds with them so far.  I would call them lower spin (than the Chrome Soft or Chrome Soft X), but not low spin.  

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

8 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Bought a dozen.  Played 3 rounds with them so far.  I would call them lower spin (than the Chrome Soft or Chrome Soft X), but not low spin.  

it actually spins between the regular Chromesoft and the X, based on all trackman reviews and callaway's own video posted on YT a few days back.  In essence, callaway said the regular Chromesoft is low spin for slow swing speeds, while Chrome soft X LS is low spin for high swing speed players (but still a bit higher spinning than the regular),  and then X is higher spinning for high swing speeds.

Edited by herbert7890

1 hour ago, herbert7890 said:

it actually spins between the regular Chromesoft and the X, based on all trackman reviews and callaway's own video posted on YT a few days back.  In essence, callaway said the regular Chromesoft is low spin for slow swing speeds, while Chrome soft X LS is low spin for high swing speed players (but still a bit higher spinning than the regular),  and then X is higher spinning for high swing speeds.

Great info 👍 

Is this what we all genuinely expected ? **Bet this ‘revelation’ bursts at least a few people’s bubble.....

Has there been any scientific tests of LS Versus V1X, TP5X,  Bridgestone B X or left Dash ?

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Just got me a box of Chrome Soft X LS balls from the local golf store.  The Cally rep was there surprisingly.  He told me they're quite firm and to expect a slightly lower flight and 200-300 rpm less spin.  I'm playing a local muni tomorrow.  Will report findings. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

20 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Great info 👍 

Is this what we all genuinely expected ? **Bet this ‘revelation’ bursts at least a few people’s bubble.....

Has there been any scientific tests of LS Versus V1X, TP5X,  Bridgestone B X or left Dash ?

TXG is releasing one today, I beleive

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Just got me a box of Chrome Soft X LS balls from the local golf store.  The Cally rep was there surprisingly.  He told me they're quite firm and to expect a slightly lower flight and 200-300 rpm less spin.  I'm playing a local muni tomorrow.  Will report findings. 

I think this is a fair assessment.

I played 36 this weekend and alternated between sleeves of the X and LS and they both play great, and are definite candidates for when I play serious rounds. The morning round had a lot more wind involved and the LS really surprised me. I'm a high spin, high launch player off anything that's not an iron. I played the 5 holes with a TP5 Pix and a Kirkland ball that were floating around my bag and the rest with the Chrome Softs. The LS cut the wind better and reduced the tendency for my ball to drift a bit more than the X and significantly more than the other balls I played. It paired incredibly well with my 3H which flew long and true all weekend. The X performed well too but has a softer feel especially hitting irons. I'd say it was more confidence inspiring for 9i and under.

So far If I were forced to choose I'd take the X on an average day and the LS on a windy one. X for the shorter game and the LS for the long game. Once temps warm up I may deviate more towards the LS. 

My only gripe so far is that the Chromesoft line are a little more delicate than anticipated. I noticed the LS picked up a few embedded sand grains after a small scale battle with one bunker, and a dramatic cut exposing the core after I overshot a green to the cart path. The X survived admirably even though I abused it a bit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

I think this is a fair assessment.

I played 36 this weekend and alternated between sleeves of the X and LS and they both play great, and are definite candidates for when I play serious rounds. The morning round had a lot more wind involved and the LS really surprised me. I'm a high spin, high launch player off anything that's not an iron. I played the 5 holes with a TP5 Pix and a Kirkland ball that were floating around my bag and the rest with the Chrome Softs. The LS cut the wind better and reduced the tendency for my ball to drift a bit more than the X and significantly more than the other balls I played. It paired incredibly well with my 3H which flew long and true all weekend. The X performed well too but has a softer feel especially hitting irons. I'd say it was more confidence inspiring for 9i and under.

So far If I were forced to choose I'd take the X on an average day and the LS on a windy one. X for the shorter game and the LS for the long game. Once temps warm up I may deviate more towards the LS. 

My only gripe so far is that the Chromesoft line are a little more delicate than anticipated. I noticed the LS picked up a few embedded sand grains after a small scale battle with one bunker, and a dramatic cut exposing the core after I overshot a green to the cart path. The X survived admirably even though I abused it a bit.

Nice review. Helpful.

Thanks.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

I just played 18 with the ls. Last year I played a prov1 with some rounds with the left dash. I am a high spin player but also don’t like overly firm golf balls. The left dash played well for me since it knocked spin off but the feel just wasn’t good and would get clicky. Same issue I would have with tp5x. After watching txg say the chrome soft x ls was lower spin but still had a softer feel I wanted to give the ball a try. 
The ball met all expectations. Low spin on driver and enough on irons and wedges. I could spin wedges back on greens if I wanted to. Felt good on the putter and the triple track was a nice alignment aid without being annoying. 

• Thanks 2