2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Modus 120 to graphite.

Parjim734

Still have Steelfiber i110cw in "S", 2-PW which I played in my 620 MB heads for about a year, played i125cw in SW/LW.  CW = constant weight, each shaft is the same weight in the set. 

They are NOT counterbalanced, and swing weight was not problematic, at D2 with GP Align Standard +3 wraps.

Currently, I have Tensei AV White AM(2) "S" in 620 MB heads, 90g in 2i, 108g in PW & SW.  Not counter-balanced either and they are at D1/D2.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Still have Steelfiber i110cw in "S", 2-PW which I played in my 620 MB heads for about a year, played i125cw in SW/LW.  CW = constant weight, each shaft is the same weight in the set. 

They are NOT counterbalanced, and swing weight was not problematic, at D2 with GP Align Standard +3 wraps.

Currently, I have Tensei AV White AM(2) "S" in 620 MB heads, 90g in 2i, 108g in PW & SW.  Not counter-balanced either and they are at D1/D2.

The Steelfiber 110 IS counterbalanced, or said another way, they have a high balance point  Anyone that has built a set of irons with those shafts will tell you that.  They swingweight LOW until head weight is added.  This is FACT, not fiction.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

2 minutes ago, Nessism said:

The Steelfiber 110 IS counterbalanced, or said another way, they have a high balance point  Anyone that has built a set of irons with those shafts will tell you that.  They swingweight LOW until head weight is added.  This is FACT, not fiction.

I don't trust anyone just because they are amateurs building some clubs.  But I am not going to argue.  I disagree.  You can call it what you want, but high bend does NOT necessarily make a shaft counter-balanced.  Mitsubishi makes a lot of graphite shafts for woods, many are high bend, mid-high and low bend, yet they only say one shaft is counter-balanced and high bend.  We must agree to disagree, here.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I’ll skip getting into that debate...but to the OP having used both shafts, the Recoils swingweight higher without adding weights. I’ve used 110 and 125 in both brands and I always had to add weight to the Steelfibers. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Also, I think the recoil will give you a similar ball flight to the Modus 120

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

16 hours ago, Parjim734 said:

Which would swing weight out easier without tip weights. Recoil 110 or steel fiber 

@Nessism is correct that the i110's have a higher balance point - but the answer of which is easier is only the case for a fairly standard length build with standard weight heads.      The answer could change depending on the other specs of the build.   e.g. What's your target playing length and swing weight and what are the raw head weights.   If you play an over-length set or the heads are heavy for the length you plane to play, or even just fit better into a lighter swing weight,  the Steelfibers might end up being easier to work with.

And the high balance point is only really an issue with the i110's.   The i95's end up within 1 sw pt of the recoils w/o any tip weight used.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nessism said:

To quote you from another thread..."I don't build clubs."

Honestly man, if you don't build I don't understand why you post in threads like this.

Nobody said anything about high bend point.  It's BALANCE point.  High balance point means counterbalanced to some extent, but more importantly, it means it takes more head weight to achieve a certain swingweight number compared to a shaft with a lower balance point.  This is not a matter of opinion.  It's straight FACT.

Because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't know anything or can't post here, that's straight fact.  Besides, many people that build clubs are just hobbyist, NOT actual professionals.  In other words, lots of opinions.  You have a good day.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

@Parjim734, I’m curious how it goes for you. I’m in the same boat...playing 120s but need elbow relief. I hit the SF 110 once and thought I was swinging a steel rod. I have a test set with SF 95 and like the feel, but I need the snow to melt to really test them.   The bend profile of the 95s seems to match up well with the Modus 120....may just be a matter of adjusting to the weight.  I think I am more sensitive to tip flex than overall weight so I think the SF 95 could be a winner. 

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

22 hours ago, Parjim734 said:

Thank you for the info. I think i'm going for the recoil 110 f4. I'm reshafting my new p770's. The modus are nice, but i've got bad elbows and wrists and i love practicing, and its taking a toll.

Personally,  for my swing....Modus 120 & Recoil 110 play very similar.....if not identical. They certain feel & launch the same for me

I do think the longer irons Modus gets up quicker.  

Nothing takes away pain like Recoil IMO,  by far the easiest on hands/wrist fingers. It seems like I could play 125 Recoil & not experience late round fatigue due to their absorbent tendency.

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Definitely Recoils compared to Steelfibers. I think Steelfibers feel better in every way though but that's subjective. 

That is not to say you can't swing weight the Recoils or the Steelfibers to the number you want. I use the rubber tungsten weights from Golfworks and drill out the tips just a little bit. 

I'm going back to Steelfibers after a few years of KBS Tour and Modus 120 to take it easy on the body.

Good luck. 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

1 hour ago, NorthStar7 said:

@Parjim734, I’m curious how it goes for you. I’m in the same boat...playing 120s but need elbow relief. I hit the SF 110 once and thought I was swinging a steel rod. I have a test set with SF 95 and like the feel, but I need the snow to melt to really test them.   The bend profile of the 95s seems to match up well with the Modus 120....may just be a matter of adjusting to the weight.  I think I am more sensitive to tip flex than overall weight so I think the SF 95 could be a winner. 

I deal with osteoarthritis in hands, hips and knees.  Won't go into the pain aspect.

As stated elsewhere, I have 2-SW sets of i95cw and i110cw, both stiff.  I am a hitter of the ball, fast tempo and transition.  The i95 "S" bend is more mid-high bend, with stiffer frequency tip, better for a swinger, as opposed to i110 high bend with a stiffer handle but a slightly softer frequency tip, which is the part that lead me to switching to my current shafts.  I played i110cw in my 620 series for +/- a year.  They are solid shafts.   IMO i95 is lighter more aligned to Modus 120 bend profile.  They, too, are solid shafts.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Sharing some Wishon Shaft Profile info I've saved....

Steelfiber i95 stiff is almost dead on DGS.  The i110 stiff is similarly close, but gets stiffer in the mid and tip than DGS.  The i125 is stiffer yet in the bottom half of the shaft.

Modus 120 is about a flex softer, the 120X is a softer butt/mid, before getting to DGS range at the very tip of the shaft.

image.png.2158c5b7577b0da03fc13abb1eb3c11a.png

I've not built a club with the 95 or 110, but I do have a wedge with 125.  The swingweight was about what I'd expected, switching from Super Peening Blue.  

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

Actually, the bend profile of the i95 not even close to the Modus 120's.  It's much closer to the i110 than the modus - but that's not really important - just a warning about making assumptions about the profile based on what you feel - especially when you don't know all the details of the build.   If it feels close enough, that's what matters.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 4:45 AM, Stuart_G said:

Actually, the bend profile of the i95 not even close to the Modus 120's.  It's much closer to the i110 than the modus - but that's not really important - just a warning about making assumptions about the profile based on what you feel - especially when you don't know all the details of the build.   If it feels close enough, that's what matters.

Interesting.  I based my opinion on Modus 120 vs SF i95 by my feel (subjective) and the FIT2 Score EI Bend Profiles.

I was a little surprised how much I liked the i95 since I had hated the i110 in the past so I double-checked that on golfshaftreviews.info and, sure enough, both have that somewhat unique "ski jump" bend profile where it gets relatively soft in the lower middle, then gets really stiff at the tip.

A shaft I have universally hated in fittings, KBS Tour, has the opposite curve.  I was surprised how much the curves validated my past impressions of shafts.

Also, the total EI area for Modus 120 Stiff is 16 and the SF i95 Stiff is 17, if you believe in that method of evaluating overall stiffness.

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

7 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

Interesting.  I based my opinion on Modus 120 vs SF i95 by my feel (subjective) and the FIT2 Score EI Bend Profiles.

I was a little surprised how much I liked the i95 since I had hated the i110 in the past so I double-checked that on golfshaftreviews.info and, sure enough, both have that somewhat unique "ski jump" bend profile where it gets relatively soft in the lower middle, then gets really stiff at the tip.

EI profiles are nice but if memory serves those rarely have any numbers on the charts.  And without the actual numbers, it's impossible to accurately compare the profiles of two shafts.   Shape is only part of the story but I could still give you two shafts with exactly the same shape and one will feel like rebar and the other can feel like a noodle.

7 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

Also, the total EI area for Modus 120 Stiff is 16 and the SF i95 Stiff is 17, if you believe in that method of evaluating overall stiffness.

I don't.  I don't believe it's possible to accurately represent the stiffness by trying to compress a 1D quantity down into a 0D number - no matter what the method.

And remember the EI profiles are just a starting place for the way the shaft responds in a swing.  Many aspects of the build can alter or change the way the shaft will actually feel when you swing it.   And in many cases, the profile can be different for the taper and parallel version of the same shaft model.   As they say, the devil's in the details in terms of what you'll end up feeling when it comes time to swing and hit the club.

• Like 2