Bandon Solo Trip: 5/8-5/12

birdhays

I am counting down the days to my first trip to Bandon in May. I am traveling with my wife who is a beginner but will not be playing on the trip (I am planning on throwing a few of her clubs in the bag in the event we can make it to Shorty’s). I am hoping this will grow her love for the game and guarantee me some return trips😉. Here is the itinerary. I would appreciate feedback on the schedule or any other advice for a first timer.

5/8

5:00 Preserve

5/9

8:00 Sheep Ranch

2:40 Bandon 

5/10

8:00 Old Mac

2:00 Trails

5/11

9:00 Pacific

3:20 Bandon

5/12

9:20 Sheep Ranch

I am wondering if I should break up Old Mac and Trails. Some have described that as a rookie mistake. I’m 37 years old and in good shape. Plus, I walk all my rounds at home, so I’m not that worried. I wanted to book Pac Dunes for the first round but the course is closed that day.

I have Sheep booked for the final round, but may adjust if I would like a crack at another course. 

Also, would like to hear from someone who has been since they reopened outdoor dining. Another post referenced a tent that had been erected outside the Gallery. Wondering how many it seats and how it holds up against the wind.

Thanks to everyone on this board for all the great Bandon posts. It helped a ton in planning. I cannot wait to right my trip report and plan for a return trip when it’s all over.

• Like 2

I’m here currently, have ate in the tent behind the lodge the last 2 evenings.  There are 6-8 tables that hold 4 people each.  For state regulations 2 sides have to be open.  Each night the open sides have changed due to wind direction, so they are attempting to mitigate that.  It holds up fine, it’s not ideal but it’s doable.   There is also a tent at McKee‘s by the fire pit and a secondary one behind the lodge.  

2 hours ago, birdhays said:

I am counting down the days to my first trip to Bandon in May. I am traveling with my wife who is a beginner but will not be playing on the trip (I am planning on throwing a few of her clubs in the bag in the event we can make it to Shorty’s). I am hoping this will grow her love for the game and guarantee me some return trips😉. Here is the itinerary. I would appreciate feedback on the schedule or any other advice for a first timer.

5/8

5:00 Preserve

5/9

8:00 Sheep Ranch

2:40 Bandon 

5/10

8:00 Old Mac

2:00 Trails

5/11

9:00 Pacific

3:20 Bandon

5/12

9:20 Sheep Ranch

I am wondering if I should break up Old Mac and Trails. Some have described that as a rookie mistake. I’m 37 years old and in good shape. Plus, I walk all my rounds at home, so I’m not that worried. I wanted to book Pac Dunes for the first round but the course is closed that day.

I have Sheep booked for the final round, but may adjust if I would like a crack at another course. 

Also, would like to hear from someone who has been since they reopened outdoor dining. Another post referenced a tent that had been erected outside the Gallery. Wondering how many it seats and how it holds up against the wind.

Thanks to everyone on this board for all the great Bandon posts. It helped a ton in planning. I cannot wait to right my trip report and plan for a return trip when it’s all over.

I would swap the first round at Bandon to the next morning so you have one morning and one afternoon round there, and bring Old Mac from the morning back to the afternoon. So you will have SR/OM and then BD/BT which is a better mix in my view. ie Ocean side/More Inland each day which means nicer wind conditions. PD and BD on the same day is ok too - hopefully a nice sunset for you.

• Like 1

That’s good news. I’m looking forward to getting as much golf in as my body will let me. I’ve read quite a bit about short loops for bonus golf late in the day. I should have some time for that a couple of days. I haven’t seen anything about short loops at Sheep. It looks like there could be a number of them based on the routing. I’m wondering what others may have done. I imagine the sunsets are pretty spectacular out there as well.

2 hours ago, spud3 said:

Advice for a first timer:

1. Get there

2. Don't worry about anything else.  You'll have a blast, whatever happens.

This. Also as a single you will have a fair amount of flexibility to adjust tee times if you feel the need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdhays said:

That’s good news. I’m looking forward to getting as much golf in as my body will let me. I’ve read quite a bit about short loops for bonus golf late in the day. I should have some time for that a couple of days. I haven’t seen anything about short loops at Sheep. It looks like there could be a number of them based on the routing. I’m wondering what others may have done. I imagine the sunsets are pretty spectacular out there as well.

Plenty of short loops on SR:

1-3, 17, 18
14-18
11-18
1-4, 11-13
1-4, 15-18
1-11
1-13

As much play as SR is getting, though, it may be difficult to jump into those later holes.

And +1 on 2bGood's comment about the flexibility you'll have as a single to switch things up.  If your replay round looks crowded or you just want to play another course, any of the course pro shops can tell you the tee sheet status of any of the courses.  And make suggestions on where might be a better place to go, short loops on each of the courses, etc.

If you're not taking a caddie, pick up a set of the course guides - you'll be fine.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Birdhays, I’ve been going to Bandon for 20 years now. Every time with golfing buddies until this past November. I took my wife who isn’t a very good golfer. She hit balls at the range, putted a lot at the punch bowl. Best part was she pushed my cart every day, took amazing pictures and she had a blast walking the courses. The starters were all 100% good with her walking the course with me. 

If you get a nice evening after 36, head out for a few extra holes (it's free) solo and let the wife hit a few out on one of the big courses.  There are super-forward tees (blue) on every course.

On OM you could play 1-5, then walk the road back over the hill to the clubhouse.  #3's blue tees are up on top of the hill by the Ghost Tree, and almost anything hit from there funnels down toward the green.  And just putting around on #5 green could be your own private Punchbowl.  There's a nice bench on #5 tee to watch the sunset, too.

Might help fire up the golf bug...

I have contemplated taking a small bag with just a few irons and playing one of the courses from the blue tees for a replay round.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:51 PM, mallrat said:

I hate to possibly jinx it but they should be back to limited indoor dining when you are there. At least based on the way the state/county is trending

Haha, maybe.  Coos and Douglas are the only two counties in the extreme range and both had more covid cases today than Lane County did and Lane has A LOT more people.  

10 hours ago, spud3 said:

If you get a nice evening after 36, head out for a few extra holes (it's free) solo and let the wife hit a few out on one of the big courses.  There are super-forward tees (blue) on every course.

On OM you could play 1-5, then walk the road back over the hill to the clubhouse.  #3's blue tees are up on top of the hill by the Ghost Tree, and almost anything hit from there funnels down toward the green.  And just putting around on #5 green could be your own private Punchbowl.  There's a nice bench on #5 tee to watch the sunset, too.

Might help fire up the golf bug...

I have contemplated taking a small bag with just a few irons and playing one of the courses from the blue tees for a replay round.

OM seems like a good course to get in some “after 36” holes with all of the interesting green complexes. Lots of cool shots that would be fun to try if you are out there by yourself.  I know it’s polarizing, but I may be more excited to play it than any of the other courses.

I noticed the blue tees on the yardage books and think it’s great that they make that option available. Too many courses don’t make that option available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 11:20 AM, birdhays said:

OM seems like a good course to get in some “after 36” holes with all of the interesting green complexes. Lots of cool shots that would be fun to try if you are out there by yourself.  I know it’s polarizing, but I may be more excited to play it than any of the other courses.

I noticed the blue tees on the yardage books and think it’s great that they make that option available. Too many courses don’t make that option available.

I have the Ballpark Blueprints of Old Mac hanging in my den where I work, I loved it that much on my only (solo) trip.

Something mystical about it. Maybe because it was my first round, maybe because it’s where I went for a few holes near dark and sat out watching the sunset on 7 green with a flask. I loved the nuance and quirks and playing it 3+ times I really enjoyed all the different ways to play it. 

so jealous. Go enjoy. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Super cool! I'm actually doing the same with my SO later in May as well! I'll be in Portland/Bandon from 05/21-05/30 so they said that I should have no issues getting on as I'm looking to play BD/OM and SR. (Promised that I'd only play three rounds).

The girlfriend is so excited to come walk Sheep Ranch and just take photos. Anyone have any advice on things outside of golf in/near Bandon to make things more fun for the SO? All recommendations welcome whether it be Bandon, Portland or even the drive from PDX to Astoria to Bandon.

@birdhaysplease review your trip here! I'm really looking forward to seeing how things go for you. Enjoy! 

WITB

TaylorMade SIM 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 70 (45.25)

TaylorMade SIM 15* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X - (43.25)

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper Black S+

TaylorMade P730 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+

Titleist Vokey SM8 48* - F Grind - KBS C-Taper S+

TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 - 56* & 60* - KBS C-Taper S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

TaylorMade TP5

Some random ideas:

1. If you are going to Astoria from Portland, take Hwy 30, which ambles along the Columbia River.  Much more scenic (and less congested, especially on the weekend) than Hwy 26

2. The drive along 101 from Astoria to Bandon is a long trek, pretty much an all day affair.  Lots of little coastie towns along the way to explore, some more touristy than others.  Cannon Beach and Newport are in that vein.

3. Another option from Portland is Hwy 99W - Hwy 18, which goes through the heart of the Oregon Wine country.  If you are into wine, there are many excellent wineries/tasting rooms along that route

4. If the SO is into hiking, the resort has an extensive series of trails (map on the website), both around the dunes and back into the forest (all are on property, safe and near the courses)

5. There is a massage facility at the resort, but nothing like a day spa

6. Bandon's old town is an ok way to spend a few hours wandering around, but it's just a little coast town; nothing spectacular.  The big draw for the area is the resort

As spud recommended for me when my wife (non-golfing) and myself went back in October: take the long drive along the coast from Portland to Bandon.

Incredibly scenic and great spots to stop at for pictures (Thor's Well, Devil's PunchBowl, etc.) and local restaurants.

We also went to the Rose Garden in Portland.

Edited by Lefty_89

12 hours ago, spud3 said:

Some random ideas:

1. If you are going to Astoria from Portland, take Hwy 30, which ambles along the Columbia River.  Much more scenic (and less congested, especially on the weekend) than Hwy 26

2. The drive along 101 from Astoria to Bandon is a long trek, pretty much an all day affair.  Lots of little coastie towns along the way to explore, some more touristy than others.  Cannon Beach and Newport are in that vein.

3. Another option from Portland is Hwy 99W - Hwy 18, which goes through the heart of the Oregon Wine country.  If you are into wine, there are many excellent wineries/tasting rooms along that route

4. If the SO is into hiking, the resort has an extensive series of trails (map on the website), both around the dunes and back into the forest (all are on property, safe and near the courses)

5. There is a massage facility at the resort, but nothing like a day spa

6. Bandon's old town is an ok way to spend a few hours wandering around, but it's just a little coast town; nothing spectacular.  The big draw for the area is the resort

Anyone have any experience with the massage? Is it any good? Relaxing? What’s the vibe like?

On 4/21/2021 at 1:31 AM, bradleyguye said:

Anyone have any experience with the massage? Is it any good? Relaxing? What’s the vibe like?

I got a massage at the halfway point of a 4-day trip during my last visit, I did 4 days of 36+.  Would recommend.  As you might expect, the massage center itself was pretty spartan, but the service I received (50 minute massage) was great and helped power me through the next 2 days.  I did have to pay a "late time" upcharge (it was $25 or $50 extra) because my massage was later in the evening (I think it was 7 or 8pm), but that was the only time slot that allowed me to get both of my rounds in that day.

I wish I remembered the name of my masseuse, she was good.  Definitely was applying pressure and I knew immediately afterwards it was a great decision to get one.

• 4 weeks later...

Trip Report:

I am going to document my trip and experiences as a first timer at Bandon over the course of a couple of posts. Nothing in the report will adequately convey the amazing experience of visiting Bandon for the first time and I am experiencing a major Bandon hangover. The idea of playing golf at my home course does not seem at all appealing right now.

I stuck with my original schedule which was:

5/8

Preserve

5/9
Sheep Ranch

Bandon

5/10

Old Mac

Trails

5/11

Pacific

Bandon

5/12

Sheep

My wife and I set off from Little Rock, Arkansas on May 7 and flew to Eugene. We decided to head out a day early and spend a night in Eugene before making the drive to Bandon on Saturday morning. This proved to be a good decision as I was much fresher on the day of arrival than I would have been had I spent an entire day in airports along with a 2.5 hour drive. It also allowed for travel delays which thankfully did not materialize.

Before heading to the resort, my wife and I drove into the town of Bandon for lunch at the Bandon Fish Market. It’s worth checking the town out if you have a few minutes and the fish and a chips we had were excellent, but I had no desire to return once I was on peppery at the resort. I could see making future visits before heading to the resort.

After check-in, I headed to the Practice Center for an hour practice session. I’m sure many do not even visit the practice center on their trip, but I am glad I did. Everyone should at least go the “Big Putt” and work on 30 yard putts as that is a critical skill to navigating Bandon (especially for people like me with the chipping yips)While my wife is a beginner and was not playing on the trip, I threw a few of her clubs in my bag and she practiced with me at the range.

Before my 5 o’clock tee time at Preserve, my wife and I grabbed a few beers and made our way over to the punchbowl. It was around 3 and we were the only ones there. This made it a lot of fun because we were able to play a bunch of cross country holes without interrupting other groups. I would liken the experience to mini golf on grass. There are some outlandish putts that were a lot of fun. I think this is something good to do before you play any rounds on the big courses. While it doesn’t simulate course green conditions it does require you to think creatively which is a must at Bandon.

After the Punchbowl, we headed over to the Preserve. I will always make time for this course on future trips. I cannot imagine that a better par 3 course exists in the world. Some of the best par 3’s on property would be the best par 3’s if they were on the big courses (2,6, and 9 come to mind). I played with more than one person over the next few days who had made multiple trips to Bandon and had never played the preserve. That’s a mistake in my opinion. It would be a great way to start or end the trip.

More posts to come about each day.

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.  I would love to know how you would rank the current condition of all the course greens.  Which were the best greens that rolled well and were any bad?  Were they fast? Slow?

Also would love to know about current condition of sheep ranch.  

I would also like to see how you rank your favotire course to least favorite

Edited by BG5

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

5/9

The day started off at Sheep Ranch and I could not have started at a better spot. This is by far the easiest course on property and is a good place to start your trip and hopefully will allow you to work out some kinks in your game. Make sure to pay a quick visit to the driving range that is about 250 yards from the first tee. It has a sneaky cool vibe in that it is hidden in the trees but you can hear the crashing waves which you will have a view of all round. 

I was paired with two brothers and another single who I would be paired with again during the trip. We were greeted with a 1-2 club breeze that would quickly become 3. This is the lightest wind I would see all trip. I feel like the front nine is the strongest nine of the two. The second shot on 1 and the tee shot on 6 were two of my favorite shots on property. The par 3’s feel a little repetitive with all shots played toward the ocean (7 was my favorite of the three). I loved all the par 5’s (not counting 18 which is a really a 4) and especially 11 and 13. They are the two best inland holes on the property. 14 was also a favorite with a blind drive over a massive hill and an approach to a raised and heavily slopes green. I would hate to play that hole in the non-prevailing wind.

I can see this course ranking first for some and last for others (This was my wife’s favorite course as it was the most scenic and easiest to walk😉). I had my two best scores of the trip at SR and I could see people shooting a career best score with a calm day (which will be few). It lacks aesthetically off the tees and around the greens without bunkers. I think bunkers would actually be easier than some the grassy hollows around the greens (2,13, and 18 come to mind). I think some may also be turned off by the flat nature of a lot of the holes and the conditioning of the the fairways on the “holes” of the original Sheep Ranch. Many will be turned off by the condition of the greens. I thought they were fine and a little slow on my first round but they were bumpy, slow, and had an almost muddy look to them 3 days later. I suspect the greens will improve as the course has time to mature.

While this is definitely the most windy course on property, it’s also the most playable in the wind. The fairways are wider than wide and there are many areas you can recover from around the greens. I also enjoyed the back and forth nature of the routing. I only recall one stretch where you play with the exact same wind for more than 2 holes (15-17). That variety is lacking on some other courses.

• Like 2

5/9 (PM, Bandon)

During my conversation with the starter for my 240 round at Bandon, he made a comment that I would hear at least twice more during the trip. “You are going to have an ‘authentic’ Bandon experience this afternoon.” Winds were forecasted at 20-30 miles per hour and they felt stronger. I had to run back to my room in the lodge to get a tighter fitting hat as the one I was wearing was no match for the strong wind. 

I was paired with the other single in my group from Sheep Ranch and we both experienced what it was like to play true links golf. The wind was a consistent 3-4 clubs and the most “authentic ” links shots were required.

Bandon had it all for me. While very difficult, I didn’t feel that any of the holes were impossible in the wind. It was definitely my favorite course off the tee as it offered many routes of play. I look forward to playing it in a different wind as I’m sure the correct route to the hole would change. There were also many options (which I think are lacking at a course like Pacific) to get the ball onto the greens and opportunities for recoveries. I feel like even in the strongest of winds you could make no worse than a bogey on each hole if you were just willing to accept the score before teeing off.

One of my lasting memories from the trip was my second shot into the 9th that was playing straight downwind. I hit a good drive up the right side and had 250 to the hole. The process of determining what club to hit resulted in what seemed like an incomprehensible club choice. I pulled a six iron which is my 185 club. I was accounting for at least 30 yards of help in the air and the rest on the ground. My shot to the green was blind and I clipped it perfectly. I walked about 100 yards before I would see my ball sitting on the green 30 feet from the hole (of course, I left the putt short by a few inches). I may have been more exciting about that shot than any other in my life. This was the shotmaking experience that I came for!

I feel like 1, 2, and 11 were the only weak holes. The inland holes are particularly good and Bandon and hold up to the more dramatic holes along the coast. My only disappointment from the round, which I would repeat two days later, is the hatchet job of a finish I had on 15-18. At that point, I was beat up by the wind and cold and lost my swing. It was so windy on 16 tee I didn’t even feel like I was making a golf swing and the result showed. I had originally wanted to do a short loop on this day but I thought better of it as I was worn down by the wind and wanted to be ready for the coming days ahead.

Up next, Old Mac and Trails.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BG5 said:

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.  I would love to know how you would rank the current condition of all the course greens.  Which were the best greens that rolled well and were any bad?  Were they fast? Slow?

Also would love to know about current condition of sheep ranch.  

I would also like to see how you rank your favotire course to least favorite

Sheep Ranch were the only greens that were not good. All other greens rolled true with similar speed. Pacific was probably the quickest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5/10 (AM, Old Mac)

Old Mac may be the course that I was most excited to play. The primary reason is that it seems to be the course that people may leave out of the trip and I was interested to find out why. Also, I’ve never played template holes and was excited to play the shots required by those holes. While the course didn’t rank at the top for me, it had a lot of really fun shots and I can’t imagine skipping this course.

While not as visually appealing as the other courses, it provides the same amount of intrigue from tee to green as the other courses. I could see better players not liking the course because of the randomness of some of the bounces and seemingly good shots that may end up in a bad place. While I did experience since of this, I had bad shots that took good bounces too. 

I thought the course lost steam and was a little uninteresting from 8-13 (the redan at pacific is far superior to the one at Old Mac), but 14-18 is fantastic and in my opinion the best closing stretch on property. One of my most memorable shots of the trip was my drive on 14 that finished on the green 25 feet from the hole and resulted in a 2 putt birdie. The view from 14 green rivals the view you get when creating the dune on 3. 18 green is so cool and it’s hands down the best closing hole on property.

While I managed to avoid the bunkers, they appeared to be particularly difficult on Old Mac. Probably the most difficult along with Pacific. There are some bunkers out there that looked difficult to walk into much less hit out of.

I’ve read some posts criticizing the length of the back nine (i played green tees all trip). I didn’t find that to be an issue since that is due in part to there only being one par 3 and some longer 4’s that play with the prevailing wind(2-3 clubs by the end of the round). I guess I might feel differently if I played it in a south wind.

On to trails for the afternoon.

• Like 1