2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Solo Trip: 5/8-5/12

birdhays

5/10 (PM, Trails)

As the fourth 18 hole round in the trip, Trails could not have come at a better time. The forest would provide some relief for the winds that were just as strong and “authentic” as the previous afternoon. I was a solo in this round with my wife tagging along to take in the scenery. The starter encouraged her to put her putter in my bag and putt on the greens which she did. I though that was really cool and just speaks to the level of service at the resort. This also helped with the pace of play since we were waiting on  every hole. As a side note, I thought pace of play was best on Trails. We played in right at 4 hours. All other courses were 20-30 minutes more and too slow in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the flow of the course from the dunes to the forest and back to the dunes. I’m not sure if Trails even has a weak hole (14 and 16 catch some heat but I was Ok with both of them). Holes 7-13 were my favorite stretch on the course. 13 and 15 are awesome natural green sites. I expected the course to play much tighter but found there to be plenty of room off the tee on most holes.

The par 3’s on Trails are the best collection on property. I regret not having done a short loop so I can play 2,5, and 17 again. I will likely make an effort to play Trails twice on my next trip and try to make one of those a morning round. A slightly foggy morning round on trails seems like it would be a mystical experience.

Next up is Pacific and Bandon on 5/11.

• Like 3

5/11 (AM, Pacific)

I set off at 920 on Pacific with the twosome from Sheep Ranch and another single. It was great to get paired with the same people multiple times as all were great guys and fun to play with. It’s clear to me why Pacific for many. The combination of dunes and holes running along the ocean are spectacular.  Holes 4, 6, 11, 13, and 17 would make my list of best holes on property. As good as the middle stretch is the finish at Pacific is underwhelming. 17 was the only hole I really liked after 13.

Pacific is clearly a player’s course as I felt it was the most penal with many greens elevated or rounded. They also felt smaller as a whole than the other courses. I mentioned that I felt like bogies can be had on any hole at Bandon in tough conditions. I don’t think that’s the case at Pacific. With a 3 club wind most of the round and a balky iron game, I found Pacific to be the least enjoyable of the courses for me. That being said, I completely understand why it is the favorite of many and ranked so high. The other single in our group was a  low single digit handicapper and made 5 birdies in the round. Good golf was rewarded, but I just was not playing any of it.

I will probably play Pacific twice on my next trip. I feel like I might have a different opinion the second time around.

• Like 2

5/11 (PM, Bandon)

I played another afternoon round on Bandon after doing the same on Sunday. I wish I had played it once in the morning. On future trips, I will make an effort to do morning and afternoon for courses that I play twice. I would love a shot at the last 4 holes without feeling like I can barely stand up in the wind.

This was the windiest round I experienced on the trip. It was a consistent 4 club wind. I was playing a 60 yard difference on most shots, but it was a blast to hit so many creative shots. The most difficult part of the round and the wind in general was the putting. My ball was oscillating on the green on every hole and I was having difficulty steadying myself over the putts. By this point in the trip, I was hitting so many knockdowns I could not hit the ball in the air (and I’m a high ball hitter) when I tried to. I will probably need a few range sessions at home before heading to my home course. It’s amazing how quickly your game can adjust to the conditions.

Up next, a few thoughts on my final round on Sheep Ranch and impressions from the trip.

• Like 1

+1 on PD being the most demanding, shot-wise.  Especially in any kind of wind.  Misses there are more penal than any of the other courses, even if you miss by a little bit.  Also less chances to use the ground game on approaches.  No one I know likes PD 18.  It's a bear, even without wind.

BD 16 is all about the wind and club selection off the tee.  If you guess right, it's a nice little pitch onto the green.  If you guess wrong, well, all sorts of things can come into play, and none of them good...

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

5/12 (AM, Sheep Ranch)

My second round of at Sheep Ranch would be my final round of the trip. I think this is a good way to end the trip as it gives you an opportunity for your best score of the trip and an easy walk. I am normally ready to be done with golf at the end of most trips, but not at Bandon. I felt great physically and wished I could stay longer.

Conditions were much different than the first day. It was cloudy with a light mist and a 2-3 club wind that would build to 4 throughout the morning. As mentioned in my prior post, the greens were much bumpier from 3 days before and had a muddy look in spots. It’s possible that this was attributable to the cloudy and slightly damp conditions as opposed to the sunny the first round.

I was paired with a couple from Denver that had a truly aspirational experience with Bandon. They have been going for many years and based on their future bookings they have 4 confirmation emails in their queue for the next year and a half. I want to grow up just and be just like them!

I ended the trip with an 82 in tough conditions . My best score of the trip.

Good stuff @birdhays 🙂

I actually prefer Pac in the wind (not silly wind mind you) as it's the only way to mix it up and really make it linksy. Without wind you just play stock shot approaches, as it's the most prescribed of the courses there, due to the requirements for aerial balls into most greens. It's gorgeous and has a handful of the 'best' holes at the resort, but it is my least favorite.

Next trip in a new-normal world you'll have to venture into town for a meal or two. Convince the missus SF to Bandon via 101 is worth a couple extra days off 😉

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

How many golf balls did you lose?  I plan to bring 50 balls on my trip

How many rounds are you getting in? I took two dozen with me and think I lost 3 the entire trip (6 rounds total). 50 might be overkill...

One of the great things about Bandon is that unless you lose it in the ocean, gorse, or hazard, 99% of the time you'll be able to find it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

I am playing 13 rounds.....so I was planning on 4 a round 🙂

Yikes. What do you play of off? Unless your index is 20+ you'd have to try to lose that many balls or start hitting drivers onto the beach for kicks. Bring 36 for your peace of mind and watch you go home with at least 20 of them.

Unless you're playing a coastal hole you can pretty much blow your teeshot all over the shop and still find it. It's one of the great things about Bandon being able to cater to all abilities. You need to play well to score obviously, but you are not going to be battered if you have a bad day.

Last trip I played 162 holes (9 rounds worth). I somehow managed to lose 3 balls over 29 holes on wide open SR, but only 1 ball - my annual contribution to #6 on Bandon - over the 133 holes on the other courses.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

To the OP.....putting Pac last in the rankings? Some might come after you with pitch forks. 🤣

I get it though. It is penal. And it smacks you in the face the first 3 holes, dead into the wind with no bailout. And 17 (I think) longgggg par 3 into the wind. I seriously thought about just laying up on that hole. 

im anxious to try Pac again. The wind was whipping when I played it, and I had a bad round....it was an ugly combo!

Ill be heading there around June 20th.....do you think Golf pants and golf shirt on most days will be fine as long as I have quarter zip etc. in case my upper body gets cold?  I am starting to wonder if shorts will even be in play with the temps I am seeing and wind

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

Ill be heading there around June 20th.....do you think Golf pants and golf shirt on most days will be fine as long as I have quarter zip etc. in case my upper body gets cold?  I am starting to wonder if shorts will even be in play with the temps I am seeing and wind

Only you know how your body works and how you like to dress TBF, so go take a look at the historical temps via accuweather or the national weather service or some other site and plan accordingly - factoring in the additional 'chill' wind and rain can add.

Like any coastal region that's not on the equator, layering is the key. In the winter I can go as much as: undershirt - underarmour - golf shirt - jumper - vest - rain jacket. June I'd lose the underarmour and only bring the rain jacket if it could rain, but keep the others. Having light, compactable items that are easy to chop and change is key.

Most companies have their own variants these days, but I am a big fan of the Proquip Therma Tour vest, something like this is a great addition IMHO:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313471124967?hash=item48fc55c5e7:g:bZoAAOSwi9BgX9T1

• Like 1

F.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Birdhays,

I really enjoyed reading your reviews and your thoughts on Bandon Dunes. I feel you are pretty spot on but I think you need to give Pacific Dunes another try. 
And yes Miguel is the Man!!

You had a great second shot on 17!!

My wife and I really enjoyed the round with you and your wife.  We had some great conversations and golf shots along the way. Also some not so good wind, but that is the game. 

Thanks Jim! You guys were great. That is one of the best things about Bandon. I got to meet and play with so many people that have a passion for the game. 
I am definitely planning on playing pacific multiple times next trip. I have been taking some heat from a few of my friends putting it fifth. Ha!

I hope you enjoy your trip this fall!