Get Funky, Not Fit

Myherobobhope

For me it's both "I like to tinker" and I'm stubborn. I have been talking to a local guy at a course that has a legit pro shop about my issues and what I am working towards.

I am going in for a swing analysis and look over my current bag. I will likely end up with a lesson more than a fitting, but my driver shaft might need some help.

Right now my driver is the biggest issue as I hit everything else well (while not yet consistent, but getting there).

I don't feel like my clubs are the issue at this point, but certainly seeking professional help it key. I know when to ask for help, at least. 

• Like 3

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 minutes ago, lefthack said:

For me it's both "I like to tinker" and I'm stubborn.

That's a fun combination for finding solutions... There is more to golf than optimizing numbers on a launch monitor... Sometimes you have to spend $50 on an old Adams 12 degree head and see if you can build yourself a modified 2 wood (and then see if it happens to carry the trees on 11 at your home course). That's all totally theoretical... but Brandon better have my club built by Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

That's a fun combination for finding solutions... There is more to golf than optimizing numbers on a launch monitor... Sometimes you have to spend $50 on an old Adams 12 degree head and see if you can build yourself a modified 2 wood (and then see if it happens to carry the trees on 11 at your home course). That's all totally theoretical... but Brandon better have my club built by Tuesday.

Not quite that extreme, but I just started playing with swing weight and driver length and it's been an interesting journey.

But after spending $60 so far on a shaft and weight kit, it gets to a point where $100 lesson might actually be "the fix". 🤣

Vs spending $150+ on a bunch of stuff I need to dispose or resell. But I have learned a lot in the last few months since I decided to put effort into my game.

So right now I have less than $350 into my whole bag and I'm playing my best golf in 30 years. If I kept score In pretty sure I'm single digits right now. At least it feels like it.

• Like 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

James Brown offered similar advice years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDeCvChCw64

And I listened to his advice, which is why I generally have an "oddball" club at the top of the bag that will work when the other big boys are misbehaving. Currently, my 23* hybrid is this club. The shaft shouldn't work for me, but somehow it does.

I've also tinkered with grinds at the bottom end of the bag. Grinding my own 60* has so far proved to be a very interesting experiment and taught me a lot about how I use the sole.

I also took James Brown's advice about staying on the scene like a sex machine, but I think that's a story for a different thread. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lefthack said:

Not quite that extreme, but I just started playing with swing weight and driver length and it's been an interesting journey.

But after spending $60 so far on a shaft and weight kit, it gets to a point where $100 lesson might actually be "the fix". 🤣

Vs spending $150+ on a bunch of stuff I need to dispose or resell. But I have learned a lot in the last few months since I decided to put effort into my game.

So right now I have less than $350 into my whole bag and I'm playing my best golf in 30 years. If I kept score In pretty sure I'm single digits right now. At least it feels like it.

Ha, there is always a place for lessons, and I have a good relationship with my club pro. I tinkered my way into a driver that fit, and had fun along the way... sure, I wasted some money on eBay and have a weird assortment of shafts in my basement, but I learned alot about my swing and tendencies... I'm really excited to get on a simulator and start playing with my numbers on my own... and then see my club pro and have him help me figure out how to improve them. 

There is a lot to be said about taking ownership of your bag, and knowing what you need. You can get a good bag built for you by someone else, but it will help you more to figure out what you want, and then work with a good fitter to build that bag together.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

4 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

James Brown offered similar advice years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDeCvChCw64

And I listened to his advice, which is why I generally have an "oddball" club at the top of the bag that will work when the other big boys are misbehaving. Currently, my 23* hybrid is this club. The shaft shouldn't work for me, but somehow it does.

I've also tinkered with grinds at the bottom end of the bag. Grinding my own 60* has so far proved to be a very interesting experiment and taught me a lot about how I use the sole.

I also took James Brown's advice about staying on the scene like a sex machine, but I think that's a story for a different thread. 

My dad likes to count the "Babies" in "I got the feelin'"... I'm not sure if he uses this as a tempo drill or just to drive me crazy. (He turns 70 this year, but some things don't change)

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

When I first started, I had a starter set of Spalding's out of the Sears catalog. I bought a Mcgregor metal 5w (my driver and 3 were wood in '89), sand wedge,  and my girlfriend bought me a putter. 2 semesters of golf in junior college and I was playing close to scratch and played on the team one year. That was enough to tell me I can develop good swing mechanics to the point (at least in irons) that my clubs are the least of my issues. So for the most part, I play what I want to play. I bought my Nike combos on purpose and I'm doing the same with the BGD's when they finally come out (May is the target).

But I couldn't hit my driver in college (drove 250+ with my 5w) and still can't. I want to, though dammit! So maybe my next tweaks will work, maybe a lesson or three.

Edited by lefthack
Spellers
  • Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

4 minutes ago, lefthack said:

When I first started, I had a starter set of Spalding's out of the Sears catalog. I bought a Mcgregor metal 5w (my driver and 3 were wood in '89), sand wedge,  and my girlfriend bought me a putter. 2 semesters of golf in junior college and I was playing close to scratch and played on the team one year. That was enough to tell me I can develop good swing mechanics to the point (at least in irons) that my clubs are the least of my issues. So for the most part, I play what I want to play. I bought my Nike combos on purpose and I'm doing the same with the BGD's when they finally come out (May is the target).

But I couldn't hit my driver in college (drove 250+ with my 5w) and still can't. I want to, though dammit! So maybe my next tweaks will work, maybe a lesson or three.

What are BGDs?

On the driver front, it's definitely a club worth mastering. Lessons are always good, but if you have access to a simulator, it's also good to explore your numbers and see what you can change just by feel. 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

20 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

What are BGDs?

On the driver front, it's definitely a club worth mastering. Lessons are always good, but if you have access to a simulator, it's also good to explore your numbers and see what you can change just by feel. 

https://www.byrdiegolf.com/

They just started making lefties last week. There are 15 sets in the first run, got my name on one.

I would like to build a simulator in the garage if I can make room but it's $3k I just can't justify right now. I was using the 3bays GSA to do a ton of work, but can't use it now that I changed my grips.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

The message i got from this... give up golf immediately and try to bring back the 70s and disco by getting funky everywhere... first i will start by getting funky at target because their is people of all ages and races. Im hoping by august the whole country will be transformed. Should i also make my body smell funky for extra funk?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

The message i got from this... give up golf immediately and try to bring back the 70s and disco by getting funky everywhere... first i will start by getting funky at target because their is people of all ages and races. Im hoping by august the whole country will be transformed. Should i also make my body smell funky for extra funk?

I spent part of my senior year in college (2004) trying to bring back jive turkey.

highly recommend it. 

plus fours, disco and roller skates? Do not recommend.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

I spent part of my senior year in college (2004) trying to bring back jive turkey.

highly recommend it. 

plus fours, disco and roller skates? Do not recommend.

Lol isnt that so strange how the in things to do and say and wear just come and go like nothing and if you redo that thing or say it when its out of style your looked at like a freak lol. I tottaly get eveything your saying though about the fittings.

What I read here is finding self awareness.  We read all the reviews and the marketing materials from all these manufacturers, but no matter how good the club, the self awareness of our game will always be a greater influence than the equipment.   Who knows, maybe those blades will make you focus more and you’ll hit better shots. Who knows, but until you allow your mind and body figure it out, you’ll never know.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigVolGolfFan said:

What I read here is finding self awareness.  We read all the reviews and the marketing materials from all these manufacturers, but no matter how good the club, the self awareness of our game will always be a greater influence than the equipment.   Who knows, maybe those blades will make you focus more and you’ll hit better shots. Who knows, but until you allow your mind and body figure it out, you’ll never know.    

Definitely finding awareness, but also helping others find their own awareness and using our experiences to help those behind us... There are lots of smart people with a ton of experience on this forum, and yet the first response to any equipment question is: Get Fit. I think expanding on those answers, and talking about what we look for in our own fittings and our own goals can be informative to people asking questions, and helpful for the people responding to think through their own experiences and try to parse what works and what doesn't work. 

The beauty of golf is that it is both art and science... One week, a guy who can't break 110 CHS and would be laughed off GolfWRX for his distance wins a tournament, followed the next week by an average golfWRXer who breaks shafts and wears two pairs of shoes in case he swings his way out of the first pair... 

Blades are a great example... they shouldn't work for higher handicaps, but sometimes they do... and sometimes they are just more fun to play... but there is a good conversation to be had about why blades work for some, and not for others... and the differences they generate in misses and variable conditions... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I agree, i've tried everything. I've played everything from blades to SGIs, i've tried "MAX" drivers and 430cc heads that are 12 degrees open. I've used SGI wedges and blade wedges, i used the Diablo 3 wood that was more closed than restaurants during Covid, and i've used tour issue Adams heads that were more open than Wal-Marts during Covid. I played football in college, and did greek all-male wrestling in , you know what I think you guys get it 

You never know what you're going to like, or what will work for you

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

6 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I agree, i've tried everything. I've played everything from blades to SGIs, i've tried "MAX" drivers and 430cc heads that are 12 degrees open. I've used SGI wedges and blade wedges, i used the Diablo 3 wood that was more closed than restaurants during Covid, and i've used tour issue Adams heads that were more open than Wal-Marts during Covid. I played football in college, and did greek all-male wrestling in , you know what I think you guys get it 

You never know what you're going to like, or what will work for you

Put all male greek wrestling up there with clog dancing into things I'm not going to try... mostly because my oil costs would be outrageous.

But yes! Experiment, have fun, tell people to experiment and encourage fun. 

I'm on board with serious thought out responses on here, and I love silly responses that maybe hold a kernel of truth (or at least pretend to)... but I don't see the point in regurgitating "truths"... It'd be like if you logged into a high jump forum today and someone said "Hey, have you tried the Fosbury flop?' as advice on better technique. Yes, it revolutionized high jump... but it's now part of the DNA of the sport. 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

7 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Put all male greek wrestling up there with clog dancing into things I'm not going to try... mostly because my oil costs would be outrageous.

But yes! Experiment, have fun, tell people to experiment and encourage fun. 

I'm on board with serious thought out responses on here, and I love silly responses that maybe hold a kernel of truth (or at least pretend to)... but I don't see the point in regurgitating "truths"... It'd be like if you logged into a high jump forum today and someone said "Hey, have you tried the Fosbury flop?' as advice on better technique. Yes, it revolutionized high jump... but it's now part of the DNA of the sport. 

Oh i've learned real things through all of this. I mostly like small putters which is weird, since i have no issue with staring at massive irons. I much prefer "pro" style 3 woods and hybrids. 

Yet with Driver, and Irons....I have no real preference. I can play SGIs no issue. Or MAX drivers with closed faces.

Not sure why this is....But you gotta experiment. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I agree...especially this year more than any other, the “get fit” advice can be very frustrating to hear.

Depending on where you’re located, there may not even be fitters open, or if they are starting to open they may have waiting lists that take months to clear.

A lot of WRX’rs just repeat “get fit” like it’s gospel and it’s the only solution to improve your game. Lots of layers to peel back and areas to improve in the journey to becoming a good golfer.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

Definitely finding awareness, but also helping others find their own awareness and using our experiences to help those behind us... There are lots of smart people with a ton of experience on this forum, and yet the first response to any equipment question is: Get Fit. I think expanding on those answers, and talking about what we look for in our own fittings and our own goals can be informative to people asking questions, and helpful for the people responding to think through their own experiences and try to parse what works and what doesn't work. 

The beauty of golf is that it is both art and science... One week, a guy who can't break 110 CHS and would be laughed off GolfWRX for his distance wins a tournament, followed the next week by an average golfWRXer who breaks shafts and wears two pairs of shoes in case he swings his way out of the first pair... 

Blades are a great example... they shouldn't work for higher handicaps, but sometimes they do... and sometimes they are just more fun to play... but there is a good conversation to be had about why blades work for some, and not for others... and the differences they generate in misses and variable conditions... 

Oh it’s great to see people actually wanting to help others rather than quickly shoving them off to a simple “go get fit”.  “Go get fit” is the eat less, move more of golf equipment. 

• Like 1

I'd like to abolish the phrase "get fit".

I think there are roughly two forms of "fitting" we can find nowadays:

1) The kind that results in a sale of new equipment. Could be a whole set, a set of irons, a single club or a shaft, or any combination of things that results in new gear in the bag. Often done with launch monitors, looking at a lot of numbers, and then buying something new. This is like going to your local tailor and getting a custom suit made. Nice, but likely not necessary to have an attractive, usable wardrobe. Also not going to make a difference or not whether you get the next big promotion at work.

2) Adjustment of what you already have. I liken this to taking your pants to the alteration shop so you're not dragging the cuffs on the  ground, and the waist size is correct. The golf club equivalent would be length and lie adjustments, properly sized grips in good condition, and maybe ensure that the flex is in the proper ballpark. Everything else beyond this is gravy, and likely only to bring small, incremental improvements in actual golf scoring. (I'm sort of assuming one starts with gear in the "middle" range of what is typically normal these days, and is not playing 30 year old gear, or some other outlier of equipment configurations.)

More people should focus on type 2 rather than type 1.

In short: Get your existing clubs to "not be the obvious problem" and then work on other skills to improve

I'm not saying buying new gear isn't fun and isn't an important part of the game. It most certainly is, but there really needs to be more honesty in where improvement really comes from.

But this sort of thinking seems anathema to the industry. 🤔

• Like 2

I like it.  No problem with "get fit" or "get lessons", but it's not what most want to hear on an equipment forum when there are all these cool toys to talk about. 

My take is:  Hear what others have to say, but always think for yourself.  Experiment, try old school, and think outside the box.  What the funk you got to lose?!

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

6 hours ago, joostin said:

My take is:  Hear what others have to say, but always think for yourself.  Experiment, try old school, and think outside the box.  What the funk you got to lose?!

I like it!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58