2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Irons for a 9-11 Handicapper

kippjr23

14 minutes ago, dbelles1 said:

Please learn to read. They got fitted and these are options recommended. 

A good fitting would no require a post on an internet forum seeking advice.

A good fitting results in a purchase and any remaining doubts being resolved.

• Like 4

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

12 minutes ago, kippjr23 said:

Thank you. I was fitted as it states in the original post, I did a shaft fitting with lie angle and length. The only thing that I put on myself was finding the right clubhead. I would say thats not a bad place to be and only asked opinions best on clubhead everyone using. 

And you’re on the right path. If i was you get the clubhead that gives you the most confidence and gives you room to improve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbelles1 said:

Please learn to read. They got fitted and these are options recommended. 

He didn't get fitted.  Finding a shaft without the clubhead is not a fitting.  Lighten up, Francis!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

13 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

How many of us are playing 7200+ yard courses?

Perhaps 12 is high but I know I unless I have an above average for me up and down day, 9 GIR  and I am likely not breaking 80.  Some days you roll a few in, other days you hit greens but have nothing but 30+' putts and a few 3 rolls.

Tour stats don't always translate to us mere mortals. 

That's the point, the average courses are easier all around. If you are hitting 12 greens (same as a touring pro), no way you should be shooting in the 80s unless your short game and putting is not very good 🙂

I average about 9 GIR, and play to a 1 handicap. I would love to average 12 greens (playing from 6500-6800 yards)!

12 Greens should translate to 2 to 4 birdies (not always). Six missed greens should be a couple pars? Couple bogeys and couple doubles leading to a 74-76.

I understand that hitting 9 GIR, the other nine holes could be disasters off the tee and double/triples/etc. But if someone has the ball striking to be hitting 11/12 GIR and is not shooting in the 70s - they need an honest assessment of their short game.

• Like 1

You’ve always wanted Mizuno irons and like the 919 and 921 forged. There ya go. Perfect iron for someone in that handicap range imo. Plenty of forgiveness if your iron play is a little inconsistent. Done. I say it all over the site, 919/921 forged is the perfect combo of looks, feel, playability and forgiveness. I’m a 10 and love em.

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

Hey there,

I am going through a similar process right now.  I am probably a 12HC, so higher than you, but mostly that is due to inconsistency.  I hit 12 GIR today on a 7000 yard course on a windy day but shot 85; 3 hazards and 40 putts will do that to you.  

I have tried the following: Mizuno MMC MP20, Mizuno JPX921 Forged, Srixon Z585, Srixon ZX7, Titleist 718 AP2, 718 AP3, Apex CF19, Ping I210, and Mizuno MP20 blades.  Unfortunately, I didn't have suitable shafts in all of these; some were only stiff while I need at least a stiff+.

Out of all of these,  I liked the Srixon ZX7, 718 AP2, and Mizuno MMC MP20 the best.  When I first started playing toward the end of last summer, people here told me "you can't play those cavity non GI irons at a 20HC or whatever I was a the time" but really, there are no hard and fast rules.  I own the MP20s and even though I keep trying other things, I keep coming back to these.  Today I was 205 from the pin on a par 3 and hit my 5-iron to within 12 feet; they go as far as anything when hit solidly.  I had a thin swing on a par 3 152 with my 9-iron and only came up 5 yards short of the pin: misses are consistent and forgiving.  They go plenty far, have great launch, plenty of spin, and don't have a mind of their own.  I don't find them to be draw biased (I play straight to draw most of the time).  

I can't tell you what irons work best: that really depends on your swing and the feel you want. I can, however, say that you shouldn't get bogged down in "this iron is suitable for X handicap" as it just isn't true for all cases.  I like the feel, feedback, and predictability of the MMC.  Others won't. 

I bought mine here, used. I felt more comfortable doing that vs. buying new when I wasn't familiar with the fitting process and wouldn't know how I would grow into them. I have improved a lot and feel like these can grow with me. Plus, they just feel so solid to strike!   

15 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

+1. It is sad but true — I have reached double figures in GIR in a round and not broken 80. Depends on the course, obviously. On a good course, if you stick a few drives in the trees, add some 3 putts, take a double or two on the holes you don’t reach in regulation — if you count all your strokes — it can easily happen. It’s what caused me to work on my putting and go to a pro to really develop a legit short game. 

I feel like if I hit 10 greens in regulation and get up and down on half the others, I should shoot 76 even if I don’t make a birdie. Doesn’t always work out that way. We’ve got a course I like here called Laurel Hill, which once hosted the US Public Links Championship. No matter how well you are playing, you can’t let up on any hole because you can take some big numbers out there. 

I don't think its sad, I think its correct and too many people (myself included here) think in terms of optimal performance too often instead of averages. 

If the Tour stat is 12 GIR...that means for those that hit 14-15 and fire 67 you have those hitting 8 and firing 77. These are elite players who's short came is circles around most everyone on the interwebs 🙂 

What's helped my head space is accepting averages for what they are. I am not going to plunk every 'easy' sand shot inside 5'. 15' leave for par? Hey it happens we just don't see it on TV. Its not a bad shot. Its just an average shot. Some golfers are streaky and combine those birds with bogeys. Others plod/grind along. A 77 or an 80 is just a number, how you get there is the journey. 

Back to the thread and forgiveness: clubs won't turn bad really bad into average shots. The forgiveness is in a few mph clubbed speed or a bit less directional meh. It *could* save a shot or two a round depending on situational golf. Whatever you test remember to look at your patters more, not the best/worst as much in the number and analysis.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:29 AM, Phabs said:

Biggest question is how hard are you willing to practice / get better?  That’ll better dictate an iron set.  If your taking lessons get something you can grow into.  If your happy with your game find something forgiving that you’re comfortable hitting without having to hit 200 balls a week. 

Same thing the Mizuno online web fitting page says ......totally agree. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:22 PM, golfjcas said:

My index next right now is 5.3. I tried to use iron set that can help me with gir over 150 yds.  Currently gaming 718 ap1.  Can’t complain

Wow. never thought it that way and makes whole lot of sense. Thanks!

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

On 3/10/2021 at 4:31 AM, bvanlieu said:

I don't think its sad, I think its correct and too many people (myself included here) think in terms of optimal performance too often instead of averages. 

If the Tour stat is 12 GIR...that means for those that hit 14-15 and fire 67 you have those hitting 8 and firing 77. These are elite players who's short came is circles around most everyone on the interwebs 🙂 

What's helped my head space is accepting averages for what they are. I am not going to plunk every 'easy' sand shot inside 5'. 15' leave for par? Hey it happens we just don't see it on TV. Its not a bad shot. Its just an average shot. Some golfers are streaky and combine those birds with bogeys. Others plod/grind along. A 77 or an 80 is just a number, how you get there is the journey. 

Back to the thread and forgiveness: clubs won't turn bad really bad into average shots. The forgiveness is in a few mph clubbed speed or a bit less directional meh. It *could* save a shot or two a round depending on situational golf. Whatever you test remember to look at your patters more, not the best/worst as much in the number and analysis.

Yeah, they almost don't even show you any of the golf on TV of the guys shooting 73-77 most weeks. And if you are 4-5 shots off the lead on Sunday and you start off with 2-3 bogeys in your first 3-5 holes you might not get shown again the rest of the broadcast even if you shoot 72. Watching on TV really gives a distorted view of the "averages", even at the very highest of levels. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, dmeeksDC said:

+1. It is sad but true — I have reached double figures in GIR in a round and not broken 80. Depends on the course, obviously. On a good course, if you stick a few drives in the trees, add some 3 putts, take a double or two on the holes you don’t reach in regulation — if you count all your strokes — it can easily happen. It’s what caused me to work on my putting and go to a pro to really develop a legit short game. 

I feel like if I hit 10 greens in regulation and get up and down on half the others, I should shoot 76 even if I don’t make a birdie. Doesn’t always work out that way. We’ve got a course I like here called Laurel Hill, which once hosted the US Public Links Championship. No matter how well you are playing, you can’t let up on any hole because you can take some big numbers out there. 

I had a round last year where I shot 79 and took a 10 on one hole. I don't remember what my GIR was but it was good, the 10 happened on about hole 15 when I was about 1 over par... ugh. 

On 3/7/2021 at 8:29 PM, Phabs said:

Biggest question is how hard are you willing to practice / get better?  That’ll better dictate an iron set.  If your taking lessons get something you can grow into.  If your happy with your game find something forgiving that you’re comfortable hitting without having to hit 200 balls a week. 

I've never understood this "grow into" thing.  Sounds like the golf version of the peter principle.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

On 3/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, kippjr23 said:

Hey Guys,

I was just fitted for shafts for the first time ever into a Nippon 120X and now looking to buy some clubs.

Have looked at:

Srixon 5 and 7 Series

Mizuno JPX Forged 919/921

Callaway Apex Forged

Sub 70 699 Pro

Bridgestone CB

TM P790

I am leaning toward the Mizuno JPX Forged as I enjoyed hitting them and always wanted a set of Mizunos. Another on this list I really want to play is the Srixon 7 series, however, Iron Play is inconsistent and worried about the 7 series being too demanding.

Currently playing Ping IE1 and have liked them just want to upgrade. 

For those that have been in similar position, what did you go with and why? Hows your experience been? Open to all recommendations and reviews!

I am similar to you with the handicap and I went Mizuno 921 HMP 5-7 and Forged 8-GW. I need the forgiveness with my long irons and the HMP's have that as well as a good look at address. The forged are some of the best I have had and this being my first Mizuno set, I realize why people rave about the feel. 

I think going Mizuno will be the better option long term. 

• Like 2

Srixon: ZX5 9.5° | UST Mamiya LIN-Q Purple F4

Callaway: Mavrik Max 3  15° | VA Composite VYLYN 

Callaway: Apex Hybrid 23°  | Tense Silver S 70

Mizuno: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-7 | Forged 8-GW | UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland: Zip Core Tour Rack 54/12 Full | Heel/Toe Grind | TT DG Spinner

Callaway: Custom PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 58°/12 | UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F4

Odyssey: Milled Collection 6M | 2020 Chrome Soft X 

On 3/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, kippjr23 said:

Hey Guys,

I was just fitted for shafts for the first time ever into a Nippon 120X and now looking to buy some clubs.

Have looked at:

Srixon 5 and 7 Series

Mizuno JPX Forged 919/921

Callaway Apex Forged

Sub 70 699 Pro

Bridgestone CB

TM P790

I am leaning toward the Mizuno JPX Forged as I enjoyed hitting them and always wanted a set of Mizunos. Another on this list I really want to play is the Srixon 7 series, however, Iron Play is inconsistent and worried about the 7 series being too demanding.

Currently playing Ping IE1 and have liked them just want to upgrade. 

For those that have been in similar position, what did you go with and why? Hows your experience been? Open to all recommendations and reviews!

Your situation seems very similar to the one I found myself in last summer.  I too had a set of iE1's and I loved them but felt like it was time for me to make an upgrade.  After getting fit I decided on a combo set of Mizuno 919's with the 4&5 in the Hot Metal and the 6-PW in the Forged model with Modus 105 shafts.  My trackman numbers during the fitting were very similar, so much so that the guy who fit me said he'd recommend I just keep my current set of iE1's.  Being a club junkie myself, and loving the feel of the Mizunos I decided to make the purchase anyways.  I can tell you that I absolutely regret my decision and I played some of the worst golf of my life with this current iron set.  I'm not exactly sure what it is, but the current set up for me with the forged heads and the 105 shafts has produced terrible results.  I have lost a club to a club and a half of distance on my forged irons (6-PW) and have replaced my standard draw with my old iE1's to a weak fade.  I just never get the feeling that I am striking the ball solidly with these irons.  

After gaming them for most all of last season I have decided enough is enough and will be replacing them shortly.  I went back and got fit a couple of weeks ago and have decided to go with the combo ZX5/7 set after they just barely edged out the Apex/Apex Pro combo set in testing.  In my most recent fitting session my trackman numbers were horrible with my Mizuno set but came back to life almost immediately when hitting the Srixons and getting away from the 105 shaft.  

I'm not sure why my performance declined so much with these Mizuno clubs and I have to think it had more to do with the 105 shafts (my first time going with a lighter shaft due to a bad back) than the heads, but I lost confidence in these clubs within a few weeks after receiving them and using them out on the course.  

Everyone's experience is different, so I help that helps you.  The iE1's were a FANTASTIC set for me and if yours are still in good shape I'd recommend you stick with them until you find something that really provides an improvement for you in terms of distance, accuracy, launch angle, ect.  The Mizunos were NOT the answer for me.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, scaram4 said:

11 here.  I am a sweeper as well.  Never heard this prior to buying but it possibly makes sense why I like them.  I have been using mizuno hot metals for 2 seasons now and love them.  I was considering moving to the forged.  The pro said don't do it, no difference between the forged and the hot metal so I will stick with what I have.  I love my mizuno's but as many have pointed out get fitted, try as many irons as possible and whatever gives you confidence go with it.  Brand be damned.  Have fun!

Agreed!  Whatever makes you feel and play the best is the way to go.  Call me crazy too but I hit better with more compact heads...

I play to an 8 cap and recently switched from massive G15 irons back to older Mizuno blades.  I honestly don't think the Mizuno's are much less forgiving in any area except fat shots.  Feel is night and day and they are so much easier to work.  Get fitted and play whatever works for you.  I can break 80 or find myself clinging to bogey golf with Ping sledgehammers or Mizzy blades.  Neither is magic in a hat.

Get fitted and make the person work for you.  Ask tons of questions and try as many options as possible. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Play off 2 and just got fitted last week and ended up with Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-GW with Project X 6.5.  Current irons are a 13 year old set of Mizuno MX-200’s the forged GI line that came before JPX.  Went with the HMPs for the forgiveness even though I hit everything pretty consistently - why get punished on mishits when there’s help available.  Got the ball flight and spin I was after.  The HM forged were just as good but the extra $ didn’t seem worth it.

Hit ZX5 and just couldn’t get on with them at all despite using the same shaft - massive pull hooks in the main.

Don’t concern yourself with labels on classes of clubs, just find what works for you.

I concur about the i210.

Look great at address. Excellent forgiveness.

#1 reason on LPGA tour and Tyrell Hatton, Lee Westwood, Victor Hovland play them.

Stewart Cink had a great week with them too at Harbour Town.

This is my 3rd season with them. They will not be kicked out of the bag for a while.

put them on your list.

Wow what is wrong with everyone, not 1 person suggested Cobra's they have a nice line up of iron selections. Most underrated brand out there

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

16 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Wow what is wrong with everyone, not 1 person suggested Cobra's they have a nice line up of iron selections. Most underrated brand out there

Totally agree on this sentiment - The new Forged Tec's and King Tours can hang with any of them, and even the Radspeed would work on the long irons. 10 hcp here and for me it's the shafts that dictate how much I like a club. Played a set of 2016 ForgedTecs with Recoil F3 shafts for the past 3 seasons starting at around 18hcp. My left arm is a mash of screws and a prosthetic elbow, and this combo has been brilliant in getting better. As my arm strength has returned,the front back dispersion was increasing on these clubs - as much as 15 yds - difference between a pure shot and a slight mishit.

As fitting options are limited where I'm based at, I've spent this past offseason on our local BST's on testing different shafts on 'similar' heads to try to reduce this dispersion. Tried Apex 16's with TT XP95's, 919 HMP with PX5.5, P790 with Recoild ESX 760's, and have decided on Apex Pro 16's (4-P)with Recoil 110 F4's as this doesn't stress my elbow as much as the steel shafts, and the dispersion was better than the 790's. Distance has gone done a bit on a club for club comp, but I just filled the gaps as needed. Caveat - haven't tried them on grass yet. But if the combo works i.e. the stiffer heavier shafts help, then when the cobra demo day rolls in, I'll know exactly what to test out to try a combo ForgedTec/Radspeed long iron with MIM Tour short iron configuration in the limited time we get with the reps on the sim.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

Similar handicap to you. I didn't want to choose the P790s but they chose me. Outstanding feel, forgiveness and performance

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

I bought JPX 919 forged for several months and really like the feel and forgiveness. My other choice is Titlelist T200, but I picked Mizuno mainly because of the feeling as they say "nothing feels like Mizuno." 

• Titlelist TS2 9.5*, Diamana ZF 60S
  • Titlelist 910F 13.5*, Fujikura 70S
  • Titlelist TS2 19*, Tensei Blue 70S
  • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5i-PW, 880 AMC
  • Nike VR Pro 52*
  • Cleveland M-56/10
  • Vokey SM8 M-60/8  
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5

I'm a 6 handicap and still play P-790s. I would highly recommend these to a 10 handicap. The forgiveness, especially towards the toe, is excellent and the distance is big as well. I have no problem holding greens and still launch these quite high. I do get the occasional jumper and the feel isn't as pure as some truly forged clubs, overall I've been extremely happy with these for the past 2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, crispy830 said:

I do get the occasional jumper 

This is the only reason I haven’t picked up a whole set of hollow irons to play around with. I do have a Miz MP 20 HMB 3i I use as mainly a DR, and I’ve caught a few of those and have been shocked by how far they went. I can live with it in a DI, not gonna work for me in the scoring irons. I’m sure the OEMs will figure it out soon enough. 

12 hours ago, TiScape said:

This is the only reason I haven’t picked up a whole set of hollow irons to play around with. I do have a Miz MP 20 HMB 3i I use as mainly a DR, and I’ve caught a few of those and have been shocked by how far they went. I can live with it in a DI, not gonna work for me in the scoring irons. I’m sure the OEMs will figure it out soon enough. 

Honestly, I don’t think the irons have hot spots or anything it just comes down to the fact that the irons have stronger lofts and the suspended face for whatever reason tends to make your baseline spin even lower. My dad uses the 2020 p770. He’s 64 but looks like a 40 year old. Swings his 7 iron mid to high 80s. Bad technique though. Like many mid handicappers he sets up way closed with his feet and is quite shallow with his angle of attack/doesn’t compress it super well. He’s been going long with his irons a lot because he’s getting more contribution from them but the spin just isn’t there. We’re going to weaken his lofts a bit which is the solution for most. They just don’t spin a lot and iron control is the most important factor. 

I think that anyone you to a 15 could happily play the new p770 - it looks WAY better than p790 at address and is just as easy to hit IMO. I just think there is a balance that needs to be struck with spin. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Honestly, I don’t think the irons have hot spots or anything it just comes down to the fact that the irons have stronger lofts and the suspended face for whatever reason tends to make your baseline spin even lower. My dad uses the 2020 p770. He’s 64 but looks like a 40 year old. Swings his 7 iron mid to high 80s. Bad technique though. Like many mid handicappers he sets up way closed with his feet and is quite shallow with his angle of attack/doesn’t compress it super well. He’s been going long with his irons a lot because he’s getting more contribution from them but the spin just isn’t there. We’re going to weaken his lofts a bit which is the solution for most. They just don’t spin a lot and iron control is the most important factor. 

I think that anyone you to a 15 could happily play the new p770 - it looks WAY better than p790 at address and is just as easy to hit IMO. I just think there is a balance that needs to be struck with spin. 

Great post here. It isn't the design of the head but more or less the loft of the club and dynamics of impact. Especially when you get off the fairway a bit and find yourself in a couple inches of rough, it matters more. If you have the right starting loft, dynamic loft at impact, and golf ball, you're going to eliminate the flyer in most cases....Hollow body or not. 

• Like 1

Paradym 3D 10.5 - Ventus Blue TR 6x

Paradym 3D 15 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

Paradym 3D 18 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

TCB Gen 1 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+

SM9 50F, 54S, 58V  - KBS C-Taper S+

Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini CH

Golf Pride MCC Blue

2022 Bridgestone Tour B X

5 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I have heard the issue is primarily with the 790s and that the 770s are much better in that regard. Looks wise I totally agree. The 770s are 100x better looking. Beautiful irons. 
I think I’m just a little uneasy at this point going all hollow. The issues with the 790s, a couple crazy 265yrd tee shots with my 19° HMB. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by TiScape