Game Improvent irons with tradtional lofts

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't necessarily understand why your 7 iron needs to be 34 degrees?   As long as the lofts of the set are say, 21 degrees to 50 degrees, what difference does it make what is on the bottom

I might misunderstand, but I thought that part of the reason that GI club lofts are lower is because the extreme perimeter weighting creates a higher flight for the same loft, so strong lofts are requ

I just bought three but I could always use another!!

Posted Images

Personal opinion that may get a little flack, but I consider the Ping I lines to sort of be "game improvement" irons.  Don't get me wrong in the fact that they flat out perform, but with a wider sole, little bit of offset and larger head shape vs. many in the same category, it's hard to argue.  I just have more confidence in that club design for mishits than many others that I have tried out.

The only thing holding them back generally is that they 'aren't the longest' irons out there which detracts some from thinking they can/should bag them.  STD 7i loft at 33*, retro 35* for the I210s.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

TM Sim2 9* Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSI2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TSI2 18* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

https://www.orkagolf.com/products/irons/cti-irons/

Look up Lee Whittaker Golf on YouTube, he just did a review.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Distanza R flex, std length
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB 3w, Grafalloy Prulaunch 45 5w, both R flex std length
Ping G30 4h, Ping Alta R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge + SW, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland Smart Sole SW, 58°, Dynamic Gold wedge flex, std length

Odyssey #7, SuperStroke Flatso 2.0, 35"

Sroxin Soft Feel, yellow

I have been playing mizuno for 14 years. Currently have the JPX 919 tours (traditional lofted). I purchased the ping g425 with power spec loft. I wanted to reduce the bounce on the ping clubs to be closer to mizunos. Now my 7 iron in Ping g425 is equal to 6 iron from my JPX set. I ordered a set of 5-UW and the gapping seems to be close to my JPX 919 tours. You have to be mentally okay with ignoring the number on the bottom of the club. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, moadhia said:

You have to be mentally okay with ignoring the number on the bottom of the club. 

Exactly this. Example, my "Gap Wedge" in my set is playing to my yardages I played my PW to 10 years ago. I've just come to take the method Lee Westwood uses. While I don't write the yardage on the club, I have a yardage for each club, and I grab the club for the right yardage and not get hung up on what the number is on the club.

9 hours ago, Simmer7 said:

PING G425 with retro lofts

This is pretty much what I did, which got me to 32* 7 iron, but 34* is gonna be tough.  Not sure if they can bend the 7 iron 4* weak, and even if you did, you're adding a lot of bounce

PING G410 LST 10.5* (9.5) - Ventus Black 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 16.5* - Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Callaway Epic Flash 21* (20) - Speeder 952TR X-Stiff

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro White 90X

PING G425 5-SW - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105X

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 S200

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S

Just get a set of Titleist T400s 6 - W2. Why does it matter that the 33° says it is a 9 iron?  

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

In all seriousness the Titleist T200 and 300 are good options in terms of the loft options. Ok the 34° is the 8 iron but the 4 - GW is basically the old 3 - PW (20°/21°-48°) and doesn't have the crazy 5° and 6° loft increments you see in other sets. 

Just now, me05501 said:

I might misunderstand, but I thought that part of the reason that GI club lofts are lower is because the extreme perimeter weighting creates a higher flight for the same loft, so strong lofts are required to prevent ballooning. Is this not correct? 

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Personal opinion that may get a little flack, but I consider the Ping I lines to sort of be "game improvement" irons.  Don't get me wrong in the fact that they flat out perform, but with a wider sole, little bit of offset and larger head shape vs. many in the same category, it's hard to argue.  I just have more confidence in that club design for mishits than many others that I have tried out.

The only thing holding them back generally is that they 'aren't the longest' irons out there which detracts some from thinking they can/should bag them.  STD 7i loft at 33*, retro 35* for the I210s.

Why would you get flack?  Ping I are great irons.  

Just now, LeoLeo99 said:

Why would you get flack?  Ping I are great irons.  

For saying that they are GI irons.  People get way to wound up with how things are labeled in categories.  It's why there are now like 18 "different" ways to call an SUV and XYZ, to say they are this and not that to be "best in class" when they made up the class in the first place...

TM Sim2 9* Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSI2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TSI2 18* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

Just now, PEI_Golfer said:

For saying that they are GI irons.  People get way to wound up with how things are labeled in categories.  It's why there are now like 18 "different" ways to call an SUV and XYZ, to say they are this and not that to be "best in class" when they made up the class in the first place...

I guess the Ping i series are smaller club heads which makes them appear in the 'better player' category and might be considered 'too hard' to play for some despite having plenty of forgiveness. 

16 hours ago, me05501 said:

I might misunderstand, but I thought that part of the reason that GI club lofts are lower is because the extreme perimeter weighting creates a higher flight for the same loft, so strong lofts are required to prevent ballooning. Is this not correct? 

That's what club designers say and testing proves but this is WRX so all you'll hear is people screaming about how marketing sucks and clubs were better 10 years ago and blah blah blah. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

That's what club designers say and testing proves but this is WRX so all you'll hear is people screaming about how marketing sucks and clubs were better 10 years ago and blah blah blah. 

The claim is usually about launch window, peak height, and descent angle. (Ex: This 31 degree 7-iron launches at the same angle, reaches the same peak height, and has the same angle of descent as the 34 degree 7-iron of yesteryear)

I'm not enough of an engineer or tester to know whether that's actually true, or just marketing hype to make people feel better about the loft creep.

Edited by DLev45
  • Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

26 minutes ago, DLev45 said:

The claim is usually about launch window, peak height, and descent angle. (Ex: This 31 degree 7-iron launches at the same angle, reaches the same peak height, and has the same angle of descent as the 34 degree 7-iron of yesteryear)

I'm not enough of an engineer or tester to know whether that's actually true, or just marketing hype to make people feel better about the loft creep.

It's weird that the "loft creep" would make us FEEL anything at all.

It's a bit like complaining because all the hammers at Home Depot have those newfangled plastic handles. It is what it is. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DLev45 said:

The problem i have with it is you could easily just also say "we've designed our 6 iron to launch higher and land softer than previous 6 irons"...But that would probably sell less clubs than "your 7 iron goes further than your last 7 iron" (because it's now lofted like a 6)

I don't see why people refute it so much , not saying that's happening in this thread, but if you have worked in sales or marketing for a long time...When is the last time your boss told you "hey just be honest with people, we're not in this for the sales figures amirite?" 

You see how obsessed people are with distance, it would be utter negligence if OEMs didn't take advantage of that

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70

Cobra F9 Tour 13 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS tour Prototype 85
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

The whole loft vs club number is really funny to me. Your 150 yard club is the club you hit 150 yards. Does it matter if it's a 7 or an 8 or even a 4? It's the club you use to go 150 yards.

I have one of those in my bag along with a mess of other clubs. What I DON'T have is a bag full of 150 clubs.

Edited by lefthack
Spellers
  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

The whole loft vs club number is really funny to me. Your 150 yard club is the club you hit 150 yards. Does it matter if it's a 7 or an 8 or even a 4? It's the club you use to go 150 yards.

I have one of those in my bag along with a mess of other clubs. What I DON'T have is a bag full of 150 clubs.

That's exactly how I feel but I'm not interested in buying a set of irons that requires me to have two gap wedges. Once you get to 44°-45° on the PW two gap wedges are almost needed as I consider anything in the 50°-52° range for my game a part of the iron set, not a wedge.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

3 hours ago, Bad9 said:

That's exactly how I feel but I'm not interested in buying a set of irons that requires me to have two gap wedges. Once you get to 44°-45° on the PW two gap wedges are almost needed as I consider anything in the 50°-52° range for my game a part of the iron set, not a wedge.

My PW is a 47 and I carry a 52 and 56. I just got the 52 for a lower bounce option, but my 56 is basically from the green to 60ish yards out. The 52 will likely replace the right lies. But I do a good 1/2 and 3/4 PW shot as well.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

The Honma TW 737 series might be interesting for you. They have 4 types in the series -- Vn, V, Vs and P. The Vn 7 iron is 34°, V is 32° and the Vs and P are 30°. The V's are forged the P is cast. The 737's are discontinued but can be found both new and used.

On a whim I bought a used set of the cast 737P. Despite the technology doubters and naysayers, these lower lofted irons go further and fly higher than comparable clubs I own. For example, my Srixon Z785 9 iron (41°) stock shot is 135 yd. The 737P 9 (38°) is 10 yards longer and appears to fly 20% higher.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.31.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.30.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.29.26 PM.png

OP, Ben Hogan Edge is your direct answer.

https://benhogangolf.com/products/edge-irons

But take note of the "any 34° club" crowd and keep your options open for all those toys!

• Like 1

D1 Adams XTD, NL60TX D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54, 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

If you can find them a set of Wilson Staff M3 irons. As far as I can remember 7 iron is still a more traditional 35 deg 

Driver = Taylormade SIM2 8* Hzrdus green 70 6.0

= Taylormade 300 Mini 11.5*  (mini driver experiment)

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56*
                   Callaway Jaws MD5 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

12 hours ago, lefthack said:

I agree with this, but at some point I'm going to have 7 wedges in the bag because the lofts keep going lower and lower

PING G410 LST 10.5* (9.5) - Ventus Black 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 16.5* - Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Callaway Epic Flash 21* (20) - Speeder 952TR X-Stiff

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro White 90X

PING G425 5-SW - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105X

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 S200

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S