Game Improvent irons with tradtional lofts

Brian King

Personal opinion that may get a little flack, but I consider the Ping I lines to sort of be "game improvement" irons.  Don't get me wrong in the fact that they flat out perform, but with a wider sole, little bit of offset and larger head shape vs. many in the same category, it's hard to argue.  I just have more confidence in that club design for mishits than many others that I have tried out.

The only thing holding them back generally is that they 'aren't the longest' irons out there which detracts some from thinking they can/should bag them.  STD 7i loft at 33*, retro 35* for the I210s.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9* AV Raw Blue 65TX

Titleist TSi2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-GW Nippon SPB X SSx1

Edel 54/58 DG TI S400

SC PP Mid-Slant

https://www.orkagolf.com/products/irons/cti-irons/

Look up Lee Whittaker Golf on YouTube, he just did a review.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Distanza R flex, std length

**Cleveland Launcher Turbo HB 3W, R flex std length in bag for Fall try-out
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB 3w, Grafalloy Prulaunch 45 5w, both R flex std length, both at small + setting.
Ping G30 4 Hyb, 22°, Alta CB R flex, std length

Ping G 5 Hyb, 26°, Alta CB R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 6-D Wedge + CBX2 SW, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland Smart Sole SW, 58°, Dynamic Gold wedge flex, std length

Odyssey #7, SuperStroke Flatso 2.0, 35"

Srixon or Callaway, softer/lower compression balls

I have been playing mizuno for 14 years. Currently have the JPX 919 tours (traditional lofted). I purchased the ping g425 with power spec loft. I wanted to reduce the bounce on the ping clubs to be closer to mizunos. Now my 7 iron in Ping g425 is equal to 6 iron from my JPX set. I ordered a set of 5-UW and the gapping seems to be close to my JPX 919 tours. You have to be mentally okay with ignoring the number on the bottom of the club. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moadhia said:

You have to be mentally okay with ignoring the number on the bottom of the club. 

Exactly this. Example, my "Gap Wedge" in my set is playing to my yardages I played my PW to 10 years ago. I've just come to take the method Lee Westwood uses. While I don't write the yardage on the club, I have a yardage for each club, and I grab the club for the right yardage and not get hung up on what the number is on the club.

9 hours ago, Simmer7 said:

PING G425 with retro lofts

This is pretty much what I did, which got me to 32* 7 iron, but 34* is gonna be tough.  Not sure if they can bend the 7 iron 4* weak, and even if you did, you're adding a lot of bounce

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X

Srixon ZX 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7X

Callaway UW 19* - LA Golf Trono 75X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro White 90X

Srixon ZX5 5-PW - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105X

Cleveland CBX2 50* - DG 115 Wedge

Cleveland CBX2 54* - DG 115 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 Wedge

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S

Get an old set of Eye2's., The 7 iron is around 36*.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Just get a set of Titleist T400s 6 - W2. Why does it matter that the 33° says it is a 9 iron?  

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

In all seriousness the Titleist T200 and 300 are good options in terms of the loft options. Ok the 34° is the 8 iron but the 4 - GW is basically the old 3 - PW (20°/21°-48°) and doesn't have the crazy 5° and 6° loft increments you see in other sets. 

Just now, me05501 said:

I might misunderstand, but I thought that part of the reason that GI club lofts are lower is because the extreme perimeter weighting creates a higher flight for the same loft, so strong lofts are required to prevent ballooning. Is this not correct? 

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

• Haha 3

Just now, kiwihacker said:

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

I just bought three but I could always use another!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

7 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Personal opinion that may get a little flack, but I consider the Ping I lines to sort of be "game improvement" irons.  Don't get me wrong in the fact that they flat out perform, but with a wider sole, little bit of offset and larger head shape vs. many in the same category, it's hard to argue.  I just have more confidence in that club design for mishits than many others that I have tried out.

The only thing holding them back generally is that they 'aren't the longest' irons out there which detracts some from thinking they can/should bag them.  STD 7i loft at 33*, retro 35* for the I210s.

Why would you get flack?  Ping I are great irons.  

Just now, LeoLeo99 said:

Why would you get flack?  Ping I are great irons.  

For saying that they are GI irons.  People get way to wound up with how things are labeled in categories.  It's why there are now like 18 "different" ways to call an SUV and XYZ, to say they are this and not that to be "best in class" when they made up the class in the first place...

Titleist TSi2 9* AV Raw Blue 65TX

Titleist TSi2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-GW Nippon SPB X SSx1

Edel 54/58 DG TI S400

SC PP Mid-Slant

Just now, PEI_Golfer said:

For saying that they are GI irons.  People get way to wound up with how things are labeled in categories.  It's why there are now like 18 "different" ways to call an SUV and XYZ, to say they are this and not that to be "best in class" when they made up the class in the first place...

I guess the Ping i series are smaller club heads which makes them appear in the 'better player' category and might be considered 'too hard' to play for some despite having plenty of forgiveness. 

16 hours ago, me05501 said:

I might misunderstand, but I thought that part of the reason that GI club lofts are lower is because the extreme perimeter weighting creates a higher flight for the same loft, so strong lofts are required to prevent ballooning. Is this not correct? 

That's what club designers say and testing proves but this is WRX so all you'll hear is people screaming about how marketing sucks and clubs were better 10 years ago and blah blah blah. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

That's what club designers say and testing proves but this is WRX so all you'll hear is people screaming about how marketing sucks and clubs were better 10 years ago and blah blah blah. 

The claim is usually about launch window, peak height, and descent angle. (Ex: This 31 degree 7-iron launches at the same angle, reaches the same peak height, and has the same angle of descent as the 34 degree 7-iron of yesteryear)

I'm not enough of an engineer or tester to know whether that's actually true, or just marketing hype to make people feel better about the loft creep.

Edited by DLev45
  • Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

26 minutes ago, DLev45 said:

The claim is usually about launch window, peak height, and descent angle. (Ex: This 31 degree 7-iron launches at the same angle, reaches the same peak height, and has the same angle of descent as the 34 degree 7-iron of yesteryear)

I'm not enough of an engineer or tester to know whether that's actually true, or just marketing hype to make people feel better about the loft creep.

It's weird that the "loft creep" would make us FEEL anything at all.

It's a bit like complaining because all the hammers at Home Depot have those newfangled plastic handles. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

27 minutes ago, DLev45 said:

The problem i have with it is you could easily just also say "we've designed our 6 iron to launch higher and land softer than previous 6 irons"...But that would probably sell less clubs than "your 7 iron goes further than your last 7 iron" (because it's now lofted like a 6)

I don't see why people refute it so much , not saying that's happening in this thread, but if you have worked in sales or marketing for a long time...When is the last time your boss told you "hey just be honest with people, we're not in this for the sales figures amirite?" 

You see how obsessed people are with distance, it would be utter negligence if OEMs didn't take advantage of that

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9 w/Aldila Rogue White 60 MSI130

Callaway Mavrik SZ 13 w/Aldila Rogue White 70 MSI130

Callaway Apex 2019 Hybrid w/PX Catalyst 70

PXG 0211 ST 4-GW w/ TT Elevate Tour

PXG 0311 Forged 54 and 60 w/TT Elevate Tour

Putter under NDA--I CANT SAY

The whole loft vs club number is really funny to me. Your 150 yard club is the club you hit 150 yards. Does it matter if it's a 7 or an 8 or even a 4? It's the club you use to go 150 yards.

I have one of those in my bag along with a mess of other clubs. What I DON'T have is a bag full of 150 clubs.

Edited by lefthack
Spellers
  • Like 1

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

The whole loft vs club number is really funny to me. Your 150 yard club is the club you hit 150 yards. Does it matter if it's a 7 or an 8 or even a 4? It's the club you use to go 150 yards.

I have one of those in my bag along with a mess of other clubs. What I DON'T have is a bag full of 150 clubs.

That's exactly how I feel but I'm not interested in buying a set of irons that requires me to have two gap wedges. Once you get to 44°-45° on the PW two gap wedges are almost needed as I consider anything in the 50°-52° range for my game a part of the iron set, not a wedge.

Ping G410 Plus 12°/Xcaliber SL55, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 HyWay 21°/Xcaliber SL r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

3 hours ago, Bad9 said:

That's exactly how I feel but I'm not interested in buying a set of irons that requires me to have two gap wedges. Once you get to 44°-45° on the PW two gap wedges are almost needed as I consider anything in the 50°-52° range for my game a part of the iron set, not a wedge.

My PW is a 47 and I carry a 52 and 56. I just got the 52 for a lower bounce option, but my 56 is basically from the green to 60ish yards out. The 52 will likely replace the right lies. But I do a good 1/2 and 3/4 PW shot as well.

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

The Honma TW 737 series might be interesting for you. They have 4 types in the series -- Vn, V, Vs and P. The Vn 7 iron is 34°, V is 32° and the Vs and P are 30°. The V's are forged the P is cast. The 737's are discontinued but can be found both new and used.

On a whim I bought a used set of the cast 737P. Despite the technology doubters and naysayers, these lower lofted irons go further and fly higher than comparable clubs I own. For example, my Srixon Z785 9 iron (41°) stock shot is 135 yd. The 737P 9 (38°) is 10 yards longer and appears to fly 20% higher.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.31.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.30.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.29.26 PM.png

OP, Ben Hogan Edge is your direct answer.

https://benhogangolf.com/products/edge-irons

But take note of the "any 34° club" crowd and keep your options open for all those toys!

• Like 1

D1 Adams XTD Ti, RgWt70X D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W 915F, D+80X 3I Srixon Z545 6I TM Sim2 Max OS 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X GW Nike VPC 54, 60 CBX, DGS300 Cure CX3

If you can find them a set of Wilson Staff M3 irons. As far as I can remember 7 iron is still a more traditional 35 deg 

Driver = Titleist TSi2 Hzrdus smoke Black RDX 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke RDX 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56* and 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

12 hours ago, lefthack said:

I agree with this, but at some point I'm going to have 7 wedges in the bag because the lofts keep going lower and lower

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X

Srixon ZX 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7X

Callaway UW 19* - LA Golf Trono 75X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro White 90X

Srixon ZX5 5-PW - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105X

Cleveland CBX2 50* - DG 115 Wedge

Cleveland CBX2 54* - DG 115 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 Wedge

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S