It's time, Pro's (and others) should get relief from divots...

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished watching today's coverage and was pretty bummed for Westwood to see his awesome drive on 18 end up in a divot... to me, it pretty clearly affected how average his second shot was.  

Disagree.  It’s been discussed at great length here , and the question always is “ how do you define a divot “.     this always devolves into giving players ball in hand in then fairway.  Which

IMO a divot in the fairway is Ground Under Repair and fair and equitable relief should be given within the rules and spirit of the game...I know golf purists will disagree but if you give relief from

Posted Images

2 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Agreed except it may add more delays and rules confusion. 

What constitutes a divot? What if it's old and almost recovered?

I can see more calling over officials to determine if the player should receive relief or not.

Therein lies the problem.  We've seen delays before (Matt Kuchar anyone) because a player felt his ball was in an imperfection where relief should be granted, so I have no doubt some would have no hesitation in calling over a rules official any time they felt their ball wasn't in a spot representing the 'natural condition' of the golf course.  And aren't divots the 'natural condition' of the course anyway?  Initially, I felt the same way as the OP, and have voiced such before when it's happened to other players, but thinking about it further, perhaps it's best to just leave it alone since it seems to happen rarely anyway (though no doubt way more than what is televised), and hey, they're pros, so they should be able to handle it.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Snaphooker12 said:

This would be abused to no end. 

I think that's the problem.  I completely agree that I don't want to see a player penalized for striping one down the fairway.  But I also don't want every time your ball comes to rest in the fairway you grab it and move it 6 in.  One idea I had was give someone 2 free moves from the fairway but that's even more gimmicky than just letting them move it all the time.  

I agree with the intent of giving relief though and if someone comes up with a way to implement that every ball from the fairway/fringe doesn't get picked up and moved I'm all in.

agreed.. and for those who think it's not in the spirit of the game and should play as it lies...then play embedded  balls too. It's what your shot gave you. You play embedded balls in the bunkers... 

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 9* Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra Ltd 4-5  16 Kaili 80
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Nike VaporProCombo 4-AW DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

1 minute ago, Aviador Naval said:

Westwood caught a bad break that was magnified by the fact Bryson requested - and was granted - relief every time the sun spots from Uranus were in his line of sight.

I’d prefer to see them go the way of declining more relief requests and perhaps consider removing rakes from bunkers or at least take steps to make them penal vice a bailout from the challenge of hitting from the rough.  So your left foot is on the cart path in your stance.  Tough $h!t, the cart path is no less natural than the tree that was planted in the rough during construction of the course.  Jack’s proposal from years ago of the rake with different length tines seems reasonable.  Bryson wanking about a fried egg after dunking a very high s*** into the greenside bunker was pretty telling...

And NO MORE BREAD BEFORE DINNER, it's empty carbs!

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Man_O_War said:

agreed.. and for those who think it's not in the spirit of the game and should play as it lies...then play embedded  balls too. It's what your shot gave you. You play embedded balls in the bunkers... 

I’m for that.  I’d take most any relief away if I had a choice. 

• Like 3

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I'm not passionate either way. I think you should get a good lie in the fairway...

However, i agree with others that defining a divot would become very cumbersome and time consuming. I would imagine It would lengthen rounds noticeably when it comes to pros. You would have some guys ending up in like 8 divots a round

For the amount of time it happens, i don't care if they keep it as is. Westwood ended up in a divot on 18 sure....How many divots was Bryson in throughout the week? Probably at least one. Whether it happens on the 72nd hole of the 7th....same thing

• Like 2

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70

Cobra F9 Tour 13 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS tour Prototype 85
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

34 minutes ago, Man_O_War said:

in the rough, no relief. 

in the fairway, youre just damaging the course to prove a point

I watched a club championship final at a local club a few years back. Went 37 holes. Last hole is a 450 par 4. Both players hit good 270yd drives in the fairway. Player A hits the green. Player B had to take an unplayable because his ball was in a half folded over hack trench. 3 options, injury, shank OB, or unplayable . Brutal way to lose.

Edited by cav5
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

g410p 10.5° KKXDtx 

0341X Proto 15° Diamana S+ 

King SZ Tour 5w

Apex UT 21° Shimada

Apex MB 4-PW Shimada

JAWS Forged 52°-56°-60° Modus 125

I still remember an on-air moment when Jack Nicklaus was still on the regular tour - he visited the booth and did some guest commentary.

Someone's drive came to rest in a divot.  Jack said, 'I don't care what the rulebook says to me that's ground under repair.'  I agreed then and I agree now.

A divot would seem to be the epitome of ground under repair since a) the ground has been disturbed, damaged, etc. and b) if it's unfilled it's under repair by nature or c) if it's filled with sand or the old divot it's under repair by man.

I'm all for rub of the green but....

If the Rules of Golf overall aren't changed then one more rule among many local rules for Tour events shouldn't be an issue.  With 40 cameras on every hole, rules officials, etc. it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by chillybilly
  • Like 4

I estimate I've ended up in a divot 3 times in my past 100 rounds. Are you guys ending up in significantly more than that?

I like seeing who can hit good shots out of bad lies, to me that identifies a better golfer

Westwood hit his shot on the green from a divot and made par on a difficult hole. Excellent golfer

Edited by tungstenplug
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

I still remember an on-air moment when Jack Nicklaus was still on the regular tour - he visited the booth and did some guest commentary.

Someone's drive came to rest in a divot.  Jack said, 'I don't care what the rulebook says to me that's ground under repair.'  I agreed then and I agree now.

A divot would seem to be the epitome of ground under repair since a) the ground has been disturbed, damaged, etc. and b) if it's unfilled it's under repair by nature or c) if it's filled with sand or the old divot it's under repair by man.

I'm all for rub of the green but....

If the Rules of Golf overall aren't changed then one more rule among many local rules for Tour events shouldn't be an issue.  With 40 cameras on every hole, rules officials, etc. it shouldn't be a problem.

literally abour 12 people above you have all mad the same point, which youve completely ignored : what IS a divot.

Do you people not read a thread before commenting?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1