2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G425 irons

rbmercer

3 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

You will see a huge difference in terms of forgiveness compared to the i25. 

The offset took me a bit to get used to. But, I've adjusted and have had zero issues, straight as any iron out there, only time I miss left is due to a bad swing. 

I still have no issues with sound and feel, that's saying a lot because I came from the 210's. They are loud with cheap range balls. I play prov1x or tp5x's and they feel great. You will get feedback when you hit them off center, but that's to be expected, center of the face, they sound and feel great. 

I’m not even sure I could manage to tell the sound in the fitting room I will be in. I will be bringing V1x to get my numbers with. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

You will see a huge difference in terms of forgiveness compared to the i25. 

The offset took me a bit to get used to. But, I've adjusted and have had zero issues, straight as any iron out there, only time I miss left is due to a bad swing. 

I still have no issues with sound and feel, that's saying a lot because I came from the 210's. They are loud with cheap range balls. I play prov1x or tp5x's and they feel great. You will get feedback when you hit them off center, but that's to be expected, center of the face, they sound and feel great. 

@AzSuperHack76 describes it very well. Forgiveness is excellent and sound/feel is good with ordinary balls. (Not good with range balls.)

I went from i20 to G425, and although I can miss the sleeker look of the i20s, the G425 just perform.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

And, I forgot to say, they launch high and stop quickly (even compared to i20).

I have a moderate swing speed, so I need the help I can get to get stopping power.

I prioritize stopping power over distance.

But the G425 are not bad in distance, just not overly hot.

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

They felt totally fine  with tour b xs - not soft , but not harsh at all. Really loved that combo.  

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, JourdanM said:

Is this the main g425 irons thread? 

I just picked up a set. I hurt my back a few weeks ago and my swing is off - figured I needed to make it easy on myself.

they are gorgeous in hand - really looking forward to getting them on course. 

So how are they working out for you?

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

1 hour ago, platgof said:

I am having a hard time trying to figure out why this thread about the G425 irons is dead. The one about the ZX5 irons is hotter than a frying pan. This does not bode well for Ping.

The one that the moderators purposely pinned at the top?  Maybe that's why it's so hot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Ok, let's revive the thread 🙂 

I've played many rounds now on the course, so I decided to go to an indoor Trackman studio to check the numbers.

I more or less could confirm the numbers from the fitting. The fitting is only with 7i, so it was nice to see the distance gapping was as expected with all clubs.

More important, spin and landing angle were as good as the numbers I saw at the fitting. (These two numbers were the reason I went for G425.) Very impressing for a GI iron.

• Like 1

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

Went to these from Titleist T200. T200 felt much better and I liked the look more. The G425 are so much more forgiving that the trade off is completely worth it. They are also not as big as prior G (I know it's obvious and everyone comments on it) and they look pretty nice.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

Played my second round with these yesterday and all I can say is that they are very good irons!  They are not hard to hit and very solid!  My distances were on, the feel is there so I know where I am striking the ball on the face!  They don't look as big as some other GI irons.

Most GI irons I don't hit very well because of the big soles and me being more of a sweeper but I can hit these just fine!

• Like 1

I am putting in an order for G425 irons.  I've played pretty much every G iron at one time or another going back to the G5, and I feel like I'm missing something when I don't have any around.  I've gone more players irons at times, GI, etc., and the G425 seem to be right in my wheelhouse.  I've read some negative comments from people about the feel on the G425, and I wonder if those were maybe demos off of mats.  I feel like mats might accentuate the soft feel of forged irons, and sometimes accentuate the non-forged feel of cast irons like the Ping G irons, but not sure if that is fact.  In my outdoor fitting/demo on a grass range, I had no issue at all with the feel of the G425, and I own multiple forged sets.

Anyway, I was really hoping to try out the MMT 105 and Catalyst 100 during my fitting, but the fitter could not get those shafts in time for our fitting.  Also no recoils (95 or 110).  Frustrating that the premium graphite shafts can still be hard to demo.  Fortunately, he did have Steelfiber i95 R and S, and SF i110 S, so that was a positive as I know the SF 95 and 110 well, and was fit into Steelfiber i110 last year at CC.

In the end, the SF i110 S ended up working the best out of the three SF shafts, I guess reinforcing my previous fitting.  I also hit the AWT steel shaft just as a point of reference for the SF's, and those were fine, but the SF i110 was better for me and I want the benefit of the graphite.  It will be quite a wait I am sure, but looking forward to getting these.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I’m interested in the G425’s.  I was wondering what shaft you were all buying.   I currently play the G410’s with project x lz 5.5 which are a bit soft for me.  I am a high spin player with 110mph driver and 90ish 6 iron speed.  

I’m considering the project z in 6.0 or maybe upgrade to C Taper lite.  What shaft have you been using and are you happy with them?

On 5/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, ShowMe said:

The one that the moderators purposely pinned at the top?  Maybe that's why it's so hot.

Lol yeah. Before I noticed it was pinned I’d see it was always at the top and be like damn, these Srixon irons must be the best thing since sliced bread! 😂 I finally posted in the thread and said I might have to get a set to see what all the excitement was about. Then someone quoted my post and said it was always at the top because it was pinned… (insert pic. of air being let out of a balloon) haha

10 hours ago, esmalley said:

I’m interested in the G425’s.  I was wondering what shaft you were all buying.   I currently play the G410’s with project x lz 5.5 which are a bit soft for me.  I am a high spin player with 110mph driver and 90ish 6 iron speed.  

I’m considering the project z in 6.0 or maybe upgrade to C Taper lite.  What shaft have you been using and are you happy with them?

I have the Dynamic Gold 105. Feel good with this head

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

Seen my golf coach, and his grand daughter is going from G410 to G 425. He felt their was enough improvement to justify the change. He is also the Ping Rep as well. He knew Tommy Armour when he was playing the mini tours in Florida.

Bag is in overhaul mode

well, I ordered mine in March, but still don't have them. I called Ping yesterday and the rep said more than likely my clubs are done, but holding and waiting on grips from Golf Pride. I ordered Tour Velvet +4 and he said a lot of their is a shortage on some of the high end grips like those and MCC +4 from Golf Pride bcuz there is a rubber shortage. He said said it could still be close to 2 months before they get them. He also said, if I wanted regular standard grips, like regular Tour Velvets, it would be quicker.

Got these earlier in the month and have played a number of rounds with them. They are my first set of Ping irons and all I can say is that they have that special "something" you do not find often with irons. I don't know, it is just the combo of how they look and sit behind the ball that inspires confidence. My swing is very inconsistent at the moment, and as a low ball hitter, it is awesome to see my well struck shots get a height that really suits my eye. 

On a bit of a side note, it has probably been discussed in here, but the grooves on all of the wedges are the same as the glide. My set was 5-UW, but I have ordered the SW and the LW. I am a terrible short game player, but find I get a lot of confidence from the PW/UW on full shots and around the greens. They are some of the first wedges I have been able to see grass/wear marks on the bounce and not leading edge. Again, down to my lack of skill, but I would not shy away from all four wedges due to the stigma set wedges tend to have. 

2nd swing did a comparison and said the same thing, plus better feel. But the tester was longer with 425, barely, and grouped her shots better. She preferred the feel of the 710. I would rather have the G425 for my shots around the green as that is where most of my shots end up, and I need help with chipping. I am thinking the G710 are one dimensional, as in full shots, and the G425 will add more to the game. 2nd swing should have tested the short game aspects as well. The 7 iron is only one part of the game. I need the rest as well, especially 9 iron chip shots that are make and break for me.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

10 rounds in on these now and they continue to amaze.  In that time, my lowest number of GIRs is 12, with a high of 16.  Again, if you put any kind of halfway decent swing on these, they will perform.  Heel, toe, high, low, the forgiveness is excellent.

That said, the spin is definitely lower than my i210s.  Although they come in from a much higher angle than my i210s, they will roll out a little on the green, whereas my i210s pretty much hit and stop.  I've had to adjust my distances as a result.  With my i210s, I would try to hit the ball the same distance as the flag.  With the G425s, I try to hit 5-7 yards short of the flag, knowing there will be some rollout.  This is more applicable for the long and mid irons.  The short irons only roll out a few feet, if that.

Yesterday on a long par 4 slight dogleg left, I blocked my drive right and onto some hardpan.  There were trees all the way up the right side blocking my view to the pin.  I'm not very comfortable with fading the ball (but I can hook it with the best of them), so my only semi-doable shot was 170yds. to the front left corner of the green.  My window of error was only about 3ft.  More than that left, and I'm in a bunker.  More than that right and I hit some trees.  Longer and I'm in that same bunker.  Shorter and I'm off the green.

I hit the ball a little thin and towards the toe (my normal miss), but it came out dead straight.  I mean dead straight.  And high.  It landed exactly where I had intended it to land.  And by exactly, I mean on the exact spot.  With the i210s, the ball would have been short and left of the green (because of the low toe hit).  It seems that every round I need to pull off at least one shot like this (small window of error), and with these clubs I am able to do so.  Can't say enough good things about these irons.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, eadheid said:

I also play i210s with Steelfiber in 80 R. Do you also have Steelfiber shafts in your G425 irons and are they a good match?

Thanks and continue to enjoy your new irons!

I bought mine off the rack at my local golf shop.  I didn't feel like waiting 3 months for Ping to make them.  They have the graphite Ping Alta CB Slate shafts.  I had planned on buying some SFs and putting them in the G425s, but I'm hitting the clubs so well right now with the Ping graphite shafts that I might keep them.  I find them to have a similar feel as the SFs.  The ball flight is much higher with the G425s, but that's probably because of the club head design, not the shaft.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:14 AM, Nessism said:

The 425's are designed with flex-face technology (to increase COR and distance) the i210's aren't, or not to the same extent.  The metal is thin in the flex zones on the 425 and in order to avoid cracking Ping choose a hard and strong material, 17-4.  If 431 stainless, like the i210's was used the flexing would have to be reduced in order to avoid breakage.

I wouldn't be mad at Ping if they basically made an i210 iron in the slightly larger G series chassis. I'm stuck on my G25's with Tour Concept X1 shafts and haven't been brave enough to flirt with the i210s yet. I'm afraid if I get a sample club in my specs to try out on the course I'll end up ordering a set.  

7 hours ago, ShowMe said:

I bought mine off the rack at my local golf shop.  I didn't feel like waiting 3 months for Ping to make them.  They have the graphite Ping Alta CB Slate shafts.  I had planned on buying some SFs and putting them in the G425s, but I'm hitting the clubs so well right now with the Ping graphite shafts that I might keep them.  I find them to have a similar feel as the SFs.  The ball flight is much higher with the G425s, but that's probably because of the club head design, not the shaft.

I also have the Alta shaft in my G425. I went through a fitting and tried every shaft Ping offered and the Alta ended up the best for me. It clearly felt the best and gave me the best numbers and ball flight. I would say that people should not under estimate the Alta for the irons or woods.

• Like 1

Can anyone compare the G425 to the Sim2 max or the PXG 0211 2021 version. I'm in the heroes program and for what a set of 2011 irons would cost me ($89 a club) i'd be saving a ton of cash.  Seems like the Sim2 max (great reviews) is also considerably cheaper than the Ping G425 or 710 models.